Landrace Genetics 101

The issue with many of these new strains is that many of them are crosses of diverse landrace strains, and thus are inherently unstable. Take White Widow for example. It is a famous strain that is a cross between A Brazilian landrace and a South India ganja landrace (or landrace cross there, it is hard to wade through the legendary heirloom strain genetics, like GDP, WW and OG anything). Personally the strongest weed I have ever smoked, including all these new strains, was ganja from South India back in 1975. That same year I smoked my second strongest weed ever, loose top sativa from Guerrero, Mexico. Actually, the later led to the former. I had bought a half pound of the Guerreran and sold lids, or rather, they sold themselves. I gave my future GF at that time (she was from Hawaii) a joint and she smoked half of it and was seat locked in her car for 2 hours before she could drive anywhere. She 'blamed' me for not warning her, so she set about finding the strongest weed in the world, which she somehow did. She made me smoke a pinner before selling me an oz. of the stuff. That was Ganja from South India. I never smoked any before or since. I sold grams and was sold out in 2 days. People were knocking on my door asking to buy that stuff 3 months later. It was legendary. I never smoked Brazilian, it was just not available in California. But I have heard a lot about it, and I am growing WW as a result. But... such crosses are typically very unstable, and while there have been many later crosses of white widow and other strains, few (if any) are as legendary. This is again due to the genetics of Cannabis, and its inherent tendency to vary greatly. I was reading about hemp growing in Kentucky in the 18th century and they were complaining that hemp fiber quality degrades rapidly in successive years if you do not source your seeds from the best plants and stay on top of them.

As for my landrace collection, I have a thread going here on 420 where I am slowly listing my seed collection. I also list where the seeds came from and why and how I have stored them for so many years (frozen). I am still not sure how I will wind up getting them into the marketplace. I may grow self-pollinated F1 seeds and go through an outfit in Austria that you ship seeds to and they store them and do the distribution and shipping. I am not sure how I would get the Euros back into the states. Maybe just fly to Amsterdam and spend them there? I also do not know about Austrian income tax laws. Getting a rec grow license here in Oregon is insanely complicated and requires a lot of work and money. I may go that route, or grow medical and seed them out. Anyway, the thread is here:

Original source seeds from the 70's - Yes I have some

Hello Big Sur
I think you are correct About the Inherent nature of strains to fall apart, certainly the process is far less rapid for stabilized or landrace stains and agree with you on plants reverting back to a weedy or feral nature that would occur more rapidly without proper selection. But many of the hype strains of today I tried didn't make it past the f3's For instance I grew NL #1 all was great by the f3's it grew leafy poor bud development, which translated to bad taste, lower yield and low potency. Same issues with Mango, Durban and many many others. Also agree with less than optimal growing conditions can lead to degradation to some of the best strains, My experience with that came with my oaxacan, First of many years I grew fully outdoors, then I moved to rural mountain area where the seasons were much cooler and shorter, So I adopted taking them in and finishing them up the last several weeks under artificial light problem solved. Just like wine there is good years and not so great years outside which can affect the quality. but with grass as you know being mostly annual change in the genetics can happen quickly with such an adaptable plant. And I agree that other factors that degrade strains to feral. for instance I give great seed to a buddy of mine, who is very sloppy about labeling and grows different strains and every year a male or two gets by him and usually the scrawny male he did not see in the back of the patch. But he continues to grow the mish mash seed and every year a number of his plants are crap. Anyway pleasure meeting you. I am curious and if I may what landrace strains do you keep?

Hello Big Sur
Thank you for your strain link, Awsome man!

I hope you make great of your treasure. Like yourself I never want my seeds to be passed to the wrong people that would bastardize my babies. But that being said I also thought If something happened to me, my Oaxacan strain in particular could be lost forever. I have shared Oaxacan with a couple of very choice people and carry several land race strains. If I had been aware of freezing seeds by the methods you described I am sure I would have a great seed library like yours, but woulda coulda hynsite. But I do keep a few really very special landrace strains. Your awesome man for sharing your info.
Pics of pure Swazi Red beard. This strain is slow to get going but stays a very manageable size. She finishes very quickly for Sativa at nine to ten weeks . The leaves are strange in that they are shiny like they have been waxed and very brittle for marijuana.

SWAZI

MULANJE_HARVEST_060.JPG

Swazi close up
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/MULANJE_HARVEST_063.JPG
Swazi bud for future generations
MULANJE_HARVEST_061.JPG

Hey Conrad
Punto Rojo is a terrific strain, I mean who would spit out Columbian Red. I am curious did you keep her pure also? What is your flowering time on your Punta Rojo?

Well, in my case my seeds would not be lost, as my brother knows where they are. He would also have to know that I am dead as I do all his seed starts for him that he grows out. I have also shared pollen from several of my strains, so they are also being in-bread at lest.

As for weird large shiny leaves, Ghost OG has leaves like that. None of my Landraces have leaves anything like those. Larger and smaller leaves, yes, but uniform and they get larger and smaller in a more gradual scale. None have that waxed plastic look to them like your Swazi and my Ghost OG.

Hello Big Sur
Thank you for your strain link, Awsome man!

I hope you make great of your treasure. Like yourself I never want my seeds to be passed to the wrong people that would bastardize my babies. But that being said I also thought If something happened to me, my Oaxacan strain in particular could be lost forever. I have shared Oaxacan with a couple of very choice people and carry several land race strains. If I had been aware of freezing seeds by the methods you described I am sure I would have a great seed library like yours, but woulda coulda hynsite. But I do keep a few really very special landrace strains. Your awesome man for sharing your info.
Pics of pure Swazi Red beard. This strain is slow to get going but stays a very manageable size. She finishes very quickly for Sativa at nine to ten weeks . The leaves are strange in that they are shiny like they have been waxed and very brittle for marijuana.

Hey Conrad
Punto Rojo is a terrific strain, I mean who would spit out Columbian Red. I am curious did you keep her pure also? What is your flowering time on your Punta Rojo?

Mine finished by the end of September outdoor, she got purple by the end.

024354.jpg
021470.jpg
016721.jpg

Here are more pics:

0052108.jpg
0071746.jpg
0111142.jpg
0101303.jpg

:Namaste:

Ah yeah Malawi, still have some from 2 yrs back. Potent, speedy bud also very disorientating especially in higher dose. Great party smoke though and picker-upper.

THANK YOU, Thank you, thank you to the original poster of this thread.

I'm happy to find many like-minded (and aged) heads here.

I found this site by searching for like-minded folks; people who enjoyed the flavor and experience of simply smoking good 'ol brown pot for the flavor and aromas as much as for the buzz.

I simply can't stand all that green stuff today. I left smoking in the late 1970s and didn't come back until I turned 50 a few years ago.

I have to say, I have been mostly disappointed. Sure, today's bud can knock you down, but that was never the primary point for my cohort.

For those old enough to remember, recall the pure joy of rolling one big fatty after the next, just passing 'em around all night.

The point was to SMOKE, not to get so wasted that you couldn't do anything but drool on the couch.

It was much more akin to cigar smoking, as we do it today (cigars, you know, Fuentes and Ghurkas, not "blunts").

Oh how I wish that cannabis like that would come back! More potent does not automatically equal better, at least not to me.

Hey Brother!!
I feel you pain, saying, I so get it, but those pinners of yesterday have not disappeared quite yet and certainly got us to the higher place.
I ay down with bastardized weed and the Dutch invasion. KUSH THIS!!!
Following pic PUNTA ROJO
Or old school Columbian Red

I wonder if Black Sabbath would ever even have thought of the song "Sweetleaf" if cannabis then was like cannabis today...
As far as I can tell, ain't nuthin "sweet" about the new stuff, certainly not the flavor.

I got some so-called Acapulco Gold seeds from Barney's and someday I'll find out how close to the real deal they can be, grown here at 39° North.

For us, it was in Purina Chicken Chow burlap bags, everything written in Spanish except the words "Purina Chicken Chow."

It was a full-time job fluffing up those dense bags after each one was poured out on the attic floor!

I am sure Ozzie would be mumbling as bad as he does now, back then, pure man.
Hey listen, Want Real landrace check out Malberry seeds Mulanje Gold Through Hemp Depot, one of best pure landrace sativa available now, I believe. Great yield, superior up transcendental high, and creamy yumminess that sticks to your tounge.
Or Blue Hemp
Nepali Landrace Sativa, I feel these are the two best managable sativas Mulanje for indoor, STUNNING!
Nepali, beautiful outdoor very purple bubblegum fruit purple sativa

Back
Top Bottom