Landrace Genetics 101

Thanks for the suggestions! Of course, what I'm looking for probably defies comprehension for most folks today; remember, I said "more potent doesn't always equal better, for me."

What I miss, what I wish I could find seeds for, is just plain old regular brown pot like we smoked when Led Zepplin II came out.

We smoked hundreds (literally) of pounds of it, and never saw a single purple hair or translucent crystal. In fact, my best friend and I never even knew there was such a thing as a flower until we both started up again a few years ago.

We always thought you just smoked the leaves. There certainly were never any "buds" in any grass we bought back in the day.

In fact, buds would have made us complain! We would have said; look at all these stems! Where is the shake!?

Call me crazy, but THAT is the weed that I miss. You could smoke it all day, and still be high functioning.

Anyway, sorry if that seems like a rant, and thanks again for the suggestions.

Check Cannabiogen as well, they offer landrace Colombian & Mexican strains, but some are very limited!

Just discovered there is Oaxacan IBL in feminized version offered by Eskobar Seeds, might be worth growing :smokin:

I have grown some south indian landrace once, took me like 6 months to harvest more like a gorilla grow
image_174.jpg

Nice, indeed looks very sativish :bravo:

This is a great thread. Thank you for starting it. Lots of great info.

When I was in high school back in the early 80's in southern Ontario, Canada, there was a period when weed was pretty scarce and most of what was available was imported hash (looking back, it was a nice problem to have as those products have all but disappeared in this market). There were very occasional batches of Colombian, Mexican and Jamaican weed of varying quality but still, mostly hash.

A friend of mine's older brother had a connection that provided us with a product known simply as "Perth County Homegrown", supposedly locally grown by aging hippies. It cost $30 for a huge fluffy oz and it looked and tasted terrible. If you could find fully formed flowers among all the leaf, it was a miracle. But potent ? Oh my. Still to this day it is some of the most powerful weed I've ever experienced. Recalling the effect and knowing what I know now, this was old school sativa at it's finest and likely fairly pure landrace strains from bag seed or from collecting abroad. I often wonder if these strains have been kept. Sadly, highly doubtful. Sad also that sativas in general, if they are grown at all, rarely make it out into the common market. So many people have no idea what they are missing.

Cheers :thumb:

..Anyway I remember a strong pot called ..I can only guess how to spell it but here goes."Mesh ma con" ,Thats how it sounds.The older guys in the neighborhood had some and it really was one to remember.. Anyone ever hear of it ? Around 1970

This post struck a chord because I have heard that word too. It is actually "meshmakan" or "mashmakhan", maybe or not to be confused with "Michoacán". I found this little blurb on the interwebs. I'll quote it in its entirety because I think it's cool :)

""No, son, I'm talking about $10 for an oz. This was in the days before sinsemilla and most of the pot came from Mexico. You would lose about half your product by volume to waste in the form of sticks and seeds. "Wahakan" and "Meshmakan" were just words for weed long before I realized that they represented actual places on the map. Later, when "Lumbo" became the gold standard, the price went up to $20 for an oz. If you were lucky you might find some Panama Gold or Lebanese Red or even "Alaskan Thunderfuck" for $40 or more. This was when minimum wage was $1.60/hr and a week of hard labor at the car wash would net you a fat $40 paycheck.""

So I may stand corrected as well, thinking that "meshmakan" was a specific strain. There was a Canadian band in the early 70's named "Mashmakhan" that had a hit song that some of you may recognize. "Smoke Meshmakan" is also a lyric in the song "Africa" by another great Canadian band of the 70's called Thundermug. I highly recommend checking out at least the latter. It's a rockin' feel good song that contains perhaps the coolest drum fill ever ;)

I'm not sure if commenting on an old post is bad etiquette here. If so, please let me know. Cheers !

Honest to God, that quote coulda been me talking. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I smoked my first weed in the summer of 1967. I remember the poorly pronounced Mexican places, but never trusted the supposed difference. Some "lids" were good, some weren't, and LOL, yeah, at least 1/4 of the weight was in seeds and sticks. But seeds were a sign that the bag was mostly bud at least. :laugh:

Hey Graytail I'm not sure that we could have rolled a decent joint in the 70's if the only way that our music came was in the form of CD's or cassettes or 8 tracks! If it wasn't for those great album covers with their mind blowing graphics how would we have gotten all of those seeds out of it!! I knew ton of people who would just literally handfuls of seeds and toss them into ditches all over Indiana as we tooled down back roads in pickups burning Mex and Columbian. Now I wish I had some of those back! I rolled lot's of joints on Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Stones, Who , Allman Brothers albums and countless more. In fact that could be an entire thread of it's own. What was your favorite album to roll joints on back in the day? Remember the Big Bamboo album with the giant paper? Ha! The crap we did when we were young punks!

Oh yeah I do it all the time, which reminds me it's time to roll one :rollit:

0071645.jpg

Nice Thread Comrade Conrad

You guys are crazy for that equator weed
:passitleft:

I can't blame you though,
Wake up to a fresh new day at the crack of dawn, who the hell wants wake-n-bake induced couch lock at 7AM?
Not the Vlad. I like to be stoned without the awkward lazy disconnected feel of mind numbing relaxation.
A great sativa is like Prozac in bud form. Sure turns almost any frown upside down! No need for coffee either!
Keep Chiefing 420 comrades!
Usually this is where I post a show off pic of my landrace Colombian grass :

In progress Day 18 12/12

IMG_041935.JPG

Vlad:bongrip:

I have to say that I am kind of vinyl freak, and I love to roll just to listen to some music. Well who doesn't like it, eh?

IMG_32197.JPG

What was your favorite album to roll joints on back in the day?

I used the Who's Quadrophenia. Now my brother was kind of all over the place never had a favorite album. And the kind of guy who would leave some bud stick to a twig behind inside an album. So I would look in his double albums all the time.

Me I cleaned my albums out.

I have to say that I am kind of vinyl freak, and I love to roll just to listen to some music. Well who doesn't like it, eh?

I'm an old audiophile from the 70s and 80s and I still have a lot of my vinyl. But ... what sort of cartridge does one use these days? In my day that was important. I have an old turntable that works fine but the cartridge worries me, so I don't use it.

Change it, Grey! There are so many cartridges on the market that I get confused sometimes. However I stick to Ortofon!

My turntable was "stackable" (dunno if that is the right word?) At night I would put on Yes songs, live triple album. And I would listen thru a chunky oldstyle headset. First album would finish, arm would retract and second album would drop into place, excellent. I am amazed i didn't strangle MeSelf with the chord from the headset in the middle of the night :)
I dunno what happened to that old turntable :-(

Hey man! Enjoy :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom