Landrace Genetics 101

You are welcome!
please keep us posted,
I am keen to see how this works out for you
You bet.
As always, I very much appreciate your generosity in sharing your knowledge as an experienced breeder and grower.

I thought I could get away with 10 gallon fabric pots, but maybe I should consider 15 gallon pots if I want to veg 8 or 9 weeks for a scrog. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Thanks Tropics, I've looked on the internet for seed companies that sell Mountain Gold but can't find any with those seeds, they're either sold out or they never had any seeds of that strain. My question is where can I find some of your MG seeds? Gracias.

You bet.
As always, I very much appreciate your generosity in sharing your knowledge as an experienced breeder and grower.

I thought I could get away with 10 gallon fabric pots, but maybe I should consider 15 gallon pots if I want to veg 8 or 9 weeks for a scrog. Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Lg I just love to see people grow,
It is always great to go bigger pots but with longer veg in a larger pot is the plants would just get bigger but they would still get root bound, Its more about the timing of repotting. If you keep them in tighter pots and the up size at flowering and even better at mid flowering? I have found repotting even 1/2 way through flower cycle if plants are looking like they are yellowing or having issue greatly improves the plants performance leading to buds that can be as much as three times the size if just kept plugging along. That all being said it seems like you would be limited if your plants are in a scrog to emergency up potting.
There are so many things to consider with any style of culture.

Lg I just love to see people grow,
It is always great to go bigger pots but with longer veg in a larger pot is the plants would just get bigger but they would still get root bound, Its more about the timing of repotting. If you keep them in tighter pots and the up size at flowering and even better at mid flowering? I have found repotting even 1/2 way through flower cycle if plants are looking like they are yellowing or having issue greatly improves the plants performance leading to buds that can be as much as three times the size if just kept plugging along. That all being said it seems like you would be limited if your plants are in a scrog to emergency up potting.
There are so many things to consider with any style of culture.
Tropics, that's very interesting.
Maybe I could start in 15 gallon pots but only fill them halfway with soil, adding more later... Simple experiment for a simple guy...

Tropics, that's very interesting.
Maybe I could start in 15 gallon pots but only fill them halfway with soil, adding more later... Simple experiment for a simple guy...
Sure! As long as you don't bury the stems of course or flip to 12/12 earlier in the grow.
Again admittedly I have never grown with SCROG method. Though I have seen some great SCROG grows.

MULANJE GOLD X JORDANS
8.5 weeks
So a Landrace crossed with Heirloom.

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 001.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 003.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 013.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 016.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 026.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 028.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 029.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 031.JPG

MULANJE X JORDANS 8.5 WEEKS 036.JPG

Love this thread - I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I'm curious: If you had a choice between outdoor grown sativas, (assuming they would mature in the autumn before frost), and an indoor sativa grow where you could control all the variables (temperature, light, nutrients etc., which would you prefer and why? The reason I ask is many of my grower friends on 420 mag Canadian thread have elaborate indoor grows here in Canada and have suggested I do the same. While I like the idea of growing year round, I also like the idea of growing organically in the bright sun with huge plants and harvests, even if the THC percentage is (possibly, but, not necessarily) less. Thoughts anyone?

Thank you gentlemen!
Oh about outdoors or lights? I love to see full plants growing out naturally but unless you live in a perfect climate, have plants adapted to your climate or you get a lucky good season.
Plants indoors tend to have less leaf an tighter budding and can be taken further into ripeness with way less risk to mold. Bag appeal is usually better on indoor bud because of that.
Most people turn down outdoor bud because of that, not me!
But outdoor bud has more of a uniqueness because of the influence of the soil composition, weather, altitude, rain water UV fresh air etc. Especially in landrace strains from very distinct regions of the world. For instance, for now you will not be able to grow 1978 Buddha Stick and have it come out the same. Maybe someday with lighting advancements but I doubt it! Some great landrace strains simply do not like artificial light and will let you know but heading for the moon in height or throwing off herms.
Just my opinion.

Thank you gentlemen!
Oh about outdoors or lights? I love to see full plants growing out naturally but unless you live in a perfect climate, have plants adapted to your climate or you get a lucky good season.
Plants indoors tend to have less leaf an tighter budding and can be taken further into ripeness with way less risk to mold. Bag appeal is usually better on indoor bud because of that.
Most people turn down outdoor bud because of that, not me!
But outdoor bud has more of a uniqueness because of the influence of the soil composition, weather, altitude, rain water UV fresh air etc. Especially in landrace strains from very distinct regions of the world. For instance, for now you will not be able to grow 1978 Buddha Stick and have it come out the same. Maybe someday with lighting advancements but I doubt it! Some great landrace strains simply do not like artificial light and will let you know but heading for the moon in height or throwing off herms.
Just my opinion.
Thank you Tropics! I appreciate your thoughtful response to my question. I agree with what you said. We know winemakers are always banging on about terroir (sun, soil, climate, bugs, wind, slope, rain etc.) and how important it is in wine making, I believe and the same goes for outdoor grown bud. Perhaps some things can't be replicated exactly no matter how hard you try indoors or outdoors, some varieties will do better outside than inside and the reverse is true as well, but I always look forward at the end of the outdoor grow season to see how the new crop or "vintage" turns out. Some years are so so and some are spectacular. I think outdoor bud is special for this reason, it may not be as consistent as indoor bud, but when it's grown well it's very good and as you say "unique" and I like to think it has a brighter high. Thanks again.

The Mulanje is really a super Malawi You will be high before the joint leaves your lips from the first pull. It has been even known to numb your lips. as the original description says, not for the faint of heart, she can be a bit racy. the taste on your lips is like a honey and cream. My sister at first was really taken back by the rush ass he leveled out she commented she felt like he was on a high speed elevator reaching and stopping at it's floor over again. I love seeing people get ripped out by this herb. The high has great legs and last for hours with a nice smooth come down. My sister asked the next day do you have any more of that! HAHA!
One of the best wild sativa I have encountered in my growing.

The Mulanje is really a super Malawi You will be high before the joint leaves your lips from the first pull. It has been even known to numb your lips. as the original description says, not for the faint of heart, she can be a bit racy. the taste on your lips is like a honey and cream. My sister at first was really taken back by the rush ass he leveled out she commented she felt like he was on a high speed elevator reaching and stopping at it's floor over again. I love seeing people get ripped out by this herb. The high has great legs and last for hours with a nice smooth come down. My sister asked the next day do you have any more of that! HAHA!
One of the best wild sativa I have encountered in my growing.
Thanks Tropics for taking the time to answer my question with such a thoughtful and well written description of this landrace and it's awesome effects. I remember smoking Malawi Wowie back in the day when I lived in Southern Africa in 1982, sounds very similar. Great highs from those African sativas. The Malawi came in cobs and was reddish gold, each cob held about an ounce and cost a US dollar.

Back
Top Bottom