Leafy's Auto Stardawg In Soil 2019

leafy86

This is about my 8th grow first time with fabric pots.
15 litre fabric pots
120x120x200 grow room
4 Auto stardawg from fastbuds
Under a 600w and 1000w LEDs. (been told the actual draw of these light is about 350w roughly) waiting for my Mars Hydro ts3000 to come (can't wait) recommended by @SmokeSara .

Canopy temp is 24
Humidity is 70%
Growing in shop brought multipurpose compost 50% and 50% perlite.
Small fan blowing on low setting.
Exhaust fan not on yet as don't need it.
No intake but I leave the bottom hole on tent open(do I need fresh air intake?

(I work at the UKs biggest compost distributor with access to all compost, perlite, coir ect. Any guide to a good mix would be appreciated.)

Got the pots raised as I read fabric pot need raised to allow air to get to the bottom of the pot, see pics.

9days old.
Any advice welcome. Thanks
@Silverfox125

Attachments

• DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    802.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0310.JPG
    DSC_0310.JPG
    817 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0305.JPG
    DSC_0305.JPG
    806.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0307.JPG
    DSC_0307.JPG
    812.4 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0306.JPG
    DSC_0306.JPG
    799.9 KB · Views: 140
Plants looks great now, I will check for your order and make sure you get the lights soon,.Cannot wait to see how the plants will love TS 3000 :hippy:
@SmokeSara its OK tracking says its in Luton England so should be here Wednesday I would imagine. Is there a guide with the light on what distance to keep it during seed/veg and flower and is it dimmable for all. I seen a pic somewhere but can't find it now?

Alright, I have a better idea what this compost is now... it is a compost / soil mix along with nutrients. You have cut it in half with the perlite, so you have 50% of the nutrients that the manufacturers felt a good potted plant would need and there is no way this mix is going to be able to supply all of the needs of this fruiting plant all through the grow...

And even now, we are seeing signs that there is trouble starting, but as you have said, it is hard to tell whether this is burn or deficiency. Some of the early leaf twisting is making me think that at first this mix was a bit hot for these new plants, but it stopped with the twist and didn't end up burning the leaves. The new spotting is something else... something not in that nutrient that is mixed into the soil, and I am now thinking that it is magnesium that is being called for. I would make sure your pH is being correctly adjusted to 6.3 pH for every fluid to hit that soil, and I would add a maintenance dose of calmag to see if this will stop the progression of the spotting.

Alright, I have a better idea what this compost is now... it is a compost / soil mix along with nutrients. You have cut it in half with the perlite, so you have 50% of the nutrients that the manufacturers felt a good potted plant would need and there is no way this mix is going to be able to supply all of the needs of this fruiting plant all through the grow...

And even now, we are seeing signs that there is trouble starting, but as you have said, it is hard to tell whether this is burn or deficiency. Some of the early leaf twisting is making me think that at first this mix was a bit hot for these new plants, but it stopped with the twist and didn't end up burning the leaves. The new spotting is something else... something not in that nutrient that is mixed into the soil, and I am now thinking that it is magnesium that is being called for. I would make sure your pH is being correctly adjusted to 6.3 pH for every fluid to hit that soil, and I would add a maintenance dose of calmag to see if this will stop the progression of the spotting.
Thanks. I prepped the pots then ran 3 lts of 6.3ph water through them ( Tap water left in bottles for 48 hours) before planting seeds. I gave them about 200ml of same pH water at day 6 which made the cotyledons curl a little.. Well I think that's what done it. I usually use the same compost but with the first couple inch Jack's magic multi purpose compost. This time I went full multipurpose as I tried it with a grow before with no problems. Like I said in journal I have access to all growing media so do you know what mix would be best for me.

Sorry forgot to say I will be using nutes I don't use them till about 2-3 weeks and this is my first time with fabric pots so hard to tell if they need food or not lol

The cotys probably curled because they got a hit of the nutrients built into that soil that probably reactivate every time you water.. and there is very little you can do about that. The medium you choose is largely a matter of personal preference and related to the growing style you are going for, as well as considering what would be best for the nutes you have decided to give the plants. Don't second guess your decisions now... just learn what it is that you will need to do to work with that medium of choice as really there isn't anything bad about what you have chosen. Your instincts as to feeding seem to be good, and I would continue with your plan of not needing nutes for the first 2-3 weeks... but calmag is not a major nutrient, even though it is necessary sometimes to supplement it... especially in strong LED light.

Any tips on a good mix for autos. Like I said I have access to all growing media? Coir, Pete, perlit, compost etc

An auto is simply another plant. They do not need special soil or even special treatment other than that you would give to any fast growing plant. I buy soils based on their longevity. I don't want to invest in a soil mix that is going to break down after several grows. I am now in the 7th year of using my soil, which started as a good solid mix of Roots 101 and Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Regularly I add more minerals to keep it able to supply everything that is needed... but I don't buy and throw away soil. Buy the good stuff.... and I do not recommend anything other than good soil. Other growers have their own opinions and will tell you the opposite... that soil is hard to work with and that you should go totally artificial with coco. It is totally up to you and the style of garden you wish to maintain... they all will work when used correctly.

@SmokeSara its OK tracking says its in Luton England so should be here Wednesday I would imagine. Is there a guide with the light on what distance to keep it during seed/veg and flower and is it dimmable for all. I seen a pic somewhere but can't find it now?
:circle-of-love: :circle-of-love: :circle-of-love: Cannot wait now!

The light is stronger than the traditional led, so the hanging distance usually higher: :green_heart:
- During seedling: above 30''
- During veg: 18~24''
- During flowering: 12~18''
If you feel like light burn, just hang the light higher. :) :Namaste:
@SmokeSara Is there a guide with the light on what distance to keep it during seed/veg and flower and is it dimmable for all. I seen a pic somewhere but can't find it now?

The light is stronger than the traditional led, so the hanging distance usually higher: :green_heart:
- During seedling: above 30''
- During veg: 18~24''
- During flowering: 12~18''
If you feel like light burn, just hang the light higher. :) :Namaste:
Thanks @SmokeSara .is there a dimmable switch on it and do I need to dim it for seed or veg?

Thanks @SmokeSara .is there a dimmable switch on it and do I need to dim it for seed or veg?
Usually no need to use the dimmable function unless your space is too small for that light. :D

Back
Top Bottom