Leaves curling up and turning yellow & brown: might be dying

I would clone that plant and star with a clean slate. You may end up with a small plant but it's better than nothing.

You will need a cup of perlite and a bit of tap water. Fill the cup with perlite. Add a cutting that is about four inches long. Stick that 2/3 of the way into the perlite and add an inch of water to the cup. Sit in bright indirect light and with luck you should have roots in about ten days. If the water dries up before then add a bit more.

I have a hard time seeing this plant being saved. The addition of the plain peat moss may have impacted things as well. You are supposed to add buffers with that stuff.

Pro Mix is SPMoss but adds limestone for buffers.

I did add a bit of lime to the original mix, but didn’t add more with the transplanted mix because I was worried about high ph.

I’m really torn as to what to do here. I’m sure that taking a chance at a clone would definitely destroy any chance this plant has left. I do feel like there’s still a shot because of how good the drainage is now with the added perlite and drainage holes.

I would say that the roots didn’t feel slimy, but they also weren’t tough and dry either. They just felt like wet soil and roots.

You think I’m better off waiting or trying to clone @Morda Grown ?

That is up to you. I have had no luck cloning yet so I would just let it go if it were me. I personally would get a replacement bean started in case it don't make it. But That is me....

Before you decide to clone you should look into it and see if you have what you need to do that. As @Virgin Ground says you can take a cutting and do both. I'm sure she would have better advise on that than I could give.

@Virgin Ground don’t you think that clipping it might cause more stress and almost certainly send her way past the tipping point though? Obviously I’m not an expert so this is pure speculation, but I’m worried that at this point it might be one or the other. But I could definitely be wrong. Also, I do have a bit of peroxide on hand, do you recommend that I give her a solution of it? I added Bacillus A to her water today. Research says that it helps prevent and control root rot fungi.

@Morda Grown I will definitely research it a lot before deciding whether or not to clone. I have a very busy weekend ahead but someone will be home to tend to her if anything happens. I just gave her a light watering as recommended by that post you sent a few days ago. Like I mentioned above, I did add a bit of that Bacillus A to the water as it had been very gentle with her in the past and should be effective against root rot. Like I said, it looks like 3 days of sun, so Sunday should be a good indicator of where she’s at.

@Virgin Ground don’t you think that clipping it might cause more stress and almost certainly send her way past the tipping point though? Obviously I’m not an expert so this is pure speculation, but I’m worried that at this point it might be one or the other. But I could definitely be wrong. Also, I do have a bit of peroxide on hand, do you recommend that I give her a solution of it? I added Bacillus A to her water today. Research says that it helps prevent and control root rot fungi.

@Morda Grown I will definitely research it a lot before deciding whether or not to clone. I have a very busy weekend ahead but someone will be home to tend to her if anything happens. I just gave her a light watering as recommended by that post you sent a few days ago. Like I mentioned above, I did add a bit of that Bacillus A to the water as it had been very gentle with her in the past and should be effective against root rot. Like I said, it looks like 3 days of sun, so Sunday should be a good indicator of where she’s at.
If you feel that the bacillus is helping then go with that.

I think that I've seen her go down hill pretty fast. She is at the height of being stressed.
You can do whatever you want. I can only tell you what I would do in your situation. Your plant...you call the shots.

I would take the chance and clone. I'd do it before the weekend. She can get worse during that time. The weaker she gets the harder it's gonna be to root clones.

I will strongly caution you against mixing your own soils until you have more experience. Lean on a well built soil for now. Straight Fox Farms Ocean Forest would have been a great option.

Too rich for my blood and too hard to source here. I use all-purpose Pro Mix but have used the FFOF in the past.

I recommend that you find a mentor that you can trust. One that is using a similar style. It helped me immensely when I started growing. Start a journal so you can reflect on your grow and experienced members can chime in and guide you.

I think you’re right, I probably bit off a bit more than I could chew by mixing my own soil. Do you think mixing FFOF with just some added perlite would have been fine? I will look into cloning a lot tomorrow and see if I have what it takes.

Just a clarification: this transplant mixture was about 45% FFOF 15% FFHF 35% perlite 5% moss. I know it probably looks like more moss, but much of it is at the top of the soil. I did make sure to mix in the perlite extremely thoroughly though.

@Morda Grown I will also look to buy backup seeds. What’s your preferred seed bank? And should I go for autos considering the late grow?

Do you think mixing FFOF with just some added perlite would have been fine?
Yes. I would use about 25% perlite added to it. No more than 30%.

Lots of good seed banks in our sponsor section.

Thank you! By the way, just out of curiosity, what is the downside that you would experience with too much perlite?
Less mineralized soil for the plant to utilize. Too much drainage can cause the soil to drain too quickly. Waking up to a wilted plant isn't fun.

You can grow in straight perlite. It's a method called Hempy. Hand watered passive hydro. It's done with a reservoir so the perlite doesn't dry out too fast. Need to pH with that system.

At the moment I do not use a seed bank. I will be, but, not till my green house is done. I have been growing seeds from last years grow and some Bubba Kush bag seed. In the past I had only used bag seed. One of my goals is creating my own personal seed bank and breeding what I will use. 429 Mag has a few banks to choose from. Autos are from my understanding Very Finicky and I would not attempt them till you get your soil down and have a few photo grows under your belt. Anyone's first grow can be stressful when things go wrong. Learn from the mistakes and your grows get better. I do my own soil mix but, have studied what I have and how to amend it. I don't have a lot of cash to through down so I use what I have. Next year we are going to ammend what soil we have with a company in our area called Dairy Doo for our garden and MJ grows. It is $50 a sq yard delivered.

Well if the Gov gets off their high horse about cannabis I may. It is my understanding that it is still illegal to send seeds into the US or state to state. So, for now, I don't feel comfortable doing it. I would also want to get good at femming seeds. I would hate to send out seeds that could be male or go hermi on a grower. :slide:

Well if the Gov gets off their high horse about cannabis I may. It is my understanding that it is still illegal to send seeds into the US or state to state. So, for now, I don't feel comfortable doing it. I would also want to get good at femming seeds. I would hate to send out seeds that could be male or go hermi on a grower. :slide:
Not sure if it helps at all, but cannabis did just become legal in my state:Rasta:

This is about 2/3 of my seed stash. With the crappy grow I had last year these were by far my best part of the grow. Made lemonade out of lemon plants we bought.

2020seeds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom