Leaves standing straight up after feed

Liqurd4tay0z

So I have learned from scouring the internet and forums on this topic that it is generally a good thing when your fan leaves stand straight up but I have not seen this yet in this strain and I have been feeding the same nutes on a schedule since day one. Could there be something else going on here? I have checked the light and its currently 24" away from the canopy so I'm not convinced it's that. Is it possible she really is just happy with her diet and surroundings?

any input would be great

20201112_133324.jpg

20201112_133253.jpg

20201112_133309.jpg

20201112_133305.jpg

Lower the lights about six inches?

They are looking good. Think about transpiration. When leaves move around there are several reasons.

One of them is for transpiration. When the plant uptakes water along with the nutrients the way the plant gets them up into the plant from the soil is thru transpiration. So she's stretching out her leaves opening up the stomata with lights on. The moisture releases from the plants leaves and the nutrients and water flow up to take the place of what she just transpired.

Keep the soil moist. Maybe she's thirsty and now getting enough water and happy.

They are looking good. Think about transpiration. When leaves move around there are several reasons.

One of them is for transpiration. When the plant uptakes water along with the nutrients the way the plant gets them up into the plant from the soil is thru transpiration. So she's stretching out her leaves opening up the stomata with lights on. The moisture releases from the plants leaves and the nutrients and water flow up to take the place of what she just transpired.

Keep the soil moist. Maybe she's thirsty and now getting enough water and happy.
Hey @bobrown14 yes after reading up on this exact topic I believe you are correct, I did under water over the last week or so but only because I am at battle with fungus gnats. I think now I have it pretty much dealt with, the diatomaceous earth and yellow sticky traps made quick work of those bloody bastards!

Anyway stay safe all

As stated above, the leaves all standing up, pointing at the light, is the point of maximum transpiration and the point of the maximum water pressure in the trunk. The plant at this time is sucking the most water from the soil through the roots and a good deal of that water pressure is caused by the plant throwing off water from the leaves as evaporation. That stance of the leaves in that upward position and with all of its ribs thrown up, is to provide the maximum amount of surface area, not just for light absorption but also for evaporation.

A healthy plant will do this most of the time that the light is on, and then the plants will droop at night. Even before the light comes on (or the sun comes up) the plant anticipates this event and starts to raise its leaves in anticipation of the light, and it is this reaction that argues most strongly as to the sentience of plants.

A plant that can not consistently raise its leaves above at least horizontal, is a plant with root problems. Damaged roots or roots in protection mode because of too much water sitting in the bottom of the container, will not be able to develop the water pressure to lift the leaves into the praying position like this, and will sit in an almost constant droop. A healthy plant exhibiting strong lift will be one that has healthy lower roots that regularly see oxygen because they are allowed to dry out, and it is most happy when working on sucking out the very last water from the soil in the container. The leaves actually lift the most, when the least amount of water is in the container.

Oftentimes a plant that is being watered too often will have stale water sitting in the bottom of the container all the time. The lower roots that live down there will be trying to survive the flood waters, and in that protection mode they can not suck up the large amounts of water that they normally would be able to and what is needed to give the plant lift. This plant will exhibit an almost constant droop, and will only lift temporarily when the gardener waters again, filling up the soil to the top and giving the upper set of roots some water so that some water pressure can again be built up in the plant. As soon as the water table falls below the level of the top spreader roots again, the constant droop will return. A plant in this condition needs to dry out all the way to the bottom a few times between waterings, so that the lower roots can recover and start pumping their fair share of the needed water.

Thanks @Emilya for this wonderful trove of knowledge. I read through your how to water a potted plant ages ago but think ill give er a read through after work this evening. I also didn't mean that I have never seen the fan leaves standing up before, just not as crazy as they were yesterday morning after watering but they are back to their horizontal resting positions now.

Back
Top Bottom