Leaves twisted? And leaf dead? Why?

Shegro

Why are these leaves twisted? I'm puzzled ...

image5280.jpg
image5278.jpg

And second, why is this cotyledon dieing?

image5279.jpg

I really appreciate it!

They're transplanted recently into 20% organic vigiro with perlite. 80% black top soil. Fertilized with 20-1-1 one time. They've always been twisted since they germinated in organic miracle grow.

They're watered every two days and there's no heat it was 80 but now it's 75 F.

I'm wondering what possible things could cause that...

I transplanted them twice already. The last time some died. It was almost a week ago.

I put straws in it on transplant and put the dirt around them. It was my idea to increase O2 to the roots. After I watered them, I'd pull out like 10 straws. After about 5-6 waterings, they're all out. That way later the soil is soft and has holes in it. The tips fill in with a little bark and the holes go a different direction than the light s the roots are completely not exposed to light or anything.

There's aluminum could all the way around because I thought I'd you can make it all shiny it'll split the photons making more energy for the chloroplasts. But I'm going to put mirrors all the way around once I can buy some.

The lighting will change. Currently, it has 2 grow lights that are bluish. They're from Lowes. And 1 full spectrum light. I'm investing in some lights that are full spectrum in CFL, an HPS, maybe a small LED.... I'm going to mix and match bulbs that will give me all the wavelengths for the photoreceptors from violet to red to maybe an infrared one during flowering or something. But I'm going to use this company below I think. I still need to see which bulbs have the highest K and which ones have which colors. Do you have suggestions? Because that'd give me a head start. This is my first grow.....

Lumiram Electric Corporation - A Full Spectrum Lighting manufacturer

If you click on the top option on the right hand, they have every type from led to halide you name it. What do you think?

Here are my lights currently:

image5320.jpg
image5321.jpg
image5319.jpg

The last one has three lights in it when I also have a fan and can be home to watch it. The back, left pot with two is the one in question.

Now notice how the sister plant to the one that has a dead cotyledon has really yellow cotyledons! After I gave them all 20-1-1, these two sisters just got a little more yellow and the ones cotyledon died today. I've heard those first two cotyledons are a health indicator. What to you think? I could be wrong though.

image5318.jpg

Now, here's both together:

image5322.jpg

Welcome shegro and welcome to growing!! My 2 pieces of advice are the following.
1st is that you need to lower your lights. The seedlings are really stretching for light. With those type of lights you want them to be about 6 inches from the plant. But they will grow fast so you will need to raise the lights often.
2nd is that you did not need to feed them. There is enough nutrients in the soil to get them started. They may be burning from the nutrients you gave them.

Hopefully they come around. Keep with it my friend!!

Ok I'll try that. The one bulb is full spectrum but also incandescent . I still need to get CfLs, right? Should I still put these close in the meantime? I'd have to use the fan all the time, right? Thanks!:thanks:

Why are these leaves twisted? I'm puzzled ...

They're transplanted recently into 20% organic vigiro with perlite. 80% black top soil. Fertilized with 20-1-1 one time. They've always been twisted since they germinated in organic miracle grow.

I'm wondering what possible things could cause that...

Good morning,

You might be missing some Phorporous and Potassium in your fertilizer.

Nitrogen is for making stamps and leaves. you need more P to grow roots.

Also cover up te top of your containers, so the top layer of your medium won't dry out to fast.

Have a nice one

That is a good point about nutes :thumb:

Incandescent "grow" bulbs simply have an extra coating to make the light more "blueish",

but they still put out most of their energy as infra red or "heat"

Tungsten-vs-CFL.jpg

Your plants are getting more heat than light and that could also be a reason for the twisted yellow leaves.

They are not getting the right wavelengths of light to perform photosynthesis efficiently.

You need to get proper lights, even 23 watt Cfls would be better.

Ok so I ordered CFLs, a MH, and an incandescent. All are full spectrum. I'm going to put the incandescent light far away. I didn't know LEDs were so expensive! But next grow I plan on adding them. Ok, so other than lighting, why are these two plants continuing to yellow on the cotyledons?

I know it's not N bc as I said, I have them 20-1-1. Bc I'm not sure if its P or K, I made a juice of raw, organic: kelp, lettuce, and banana. Bc those have high amounts in it. Then I misted the crap out of them until the leaves and soil were wet. I've foilar fed before when they used to be doing well. Before it was just kelp, though.

Here they are again:

image5344.jpg
image5345.jpg
image5346.jpg
image5347.jpg

See the one that has both cotyledons alive, the whole plant is yellowing:

image5348.jpg

And the other one now has its one cotyledon totally dead:

image5349.jpg

Do you think I need to do anything else? With the little tea foray I made it was about 0-5-10. Also I have a small amount if all the micro minerals. But this was so so dilute bc I'm scared to death to over nute them. It was a couple drops for all four pots.

If ya got time, swing over to my other post "experts help.." My bubba there got worse

Do you know what nutrient is missing from these two SDX?

I have all the good microbes. It was an extract from fresh plants. I'll try out your suggestion. Ill do the white reflectors now. Thanks for the tip! :-D

Ok good luck.

in order for you microbes to work properly, never let you medium completely dry out.
But without a complete fertilizer this is just a waist of your time.

i suggest next time use bigger containers if you grow organic.
growing organic in little containers is a no-no

And watch out with the Metal Halide bulbs they are bad for your skin.

The tips were covered with white plastic. And now there is condensation on the underside. Good idea! Lowered lights and got special full spectrum plant bulbs and CFLs. Have pots in circle and light all the way around the outside and one in the inside. The cotyledons all died except for two plants. Twisting is still there too. The only thing changing is sprouting growth on the top and yellowing death to the bottom (cotyledons). All the first real leaf sets are fine except one has burnt tips, but it's stabilized now. now fertilized with a complete micro but no macro nutrients. What can be done to make it grow faster? Are LEDs good for fast growth? Also can't it wait a couple weeks and transplant them to bigger pots? With low lights and big pots with one per pot, do you think it'll be better and spread out nicely?

Hey so I took all your suggestions. The lowering of lights, more and better lights, cooler temps (75 day/70 night), less watering, complete fertiliser. I got an organic tomato fert that's complete bc it's cheaper and I'm outa money lol. But, what do you think of the new growth? You can see a completely new set of leaves and it looks way different than the very top pictures in this thread. Just looking at the new growth, do you think there's still problems?

SDX strain:
They look droopy. I watered only 1x per 3days until there was barely runoff. No sitting in runoff. Good aeration to soil.
I read K is an important osmoregulator. So the raw kelp spray perked them up a lot! They were way more folded under and droopy.

The only thing I'm worried about now is the very, very tips are yellowish. And the lower leaves completely died. I'm thinking its going to be spreading drying up from the bottom up.

Yellowing tip, bottom left of pic:

image5519.jpg

All leaves:

image5520.jpg

See the new growth is less twisted. Compare to first pics in very original post of this thread. But the tip is a tiny yellow.

Now it's sister:

image5518.jpg

Lots more growth, but a little droopy.

I think I possibly didn't water enough bc after watering a little more, it perked up. But I'm not sure....

Ideas? Suggestions? What more should I do? Should I wait a little longer to transplant into separate pots?

On a totally different strain, Bubba Kush:

image5521.jpg

After flushing several times, the bottom leaves still died. I'm also spraying with kelp. Btw, when I spray I turn off all lights but one dim one and make sure it's not sitting soaked overnight. Then after it dries I turn more and more lights on. In the evening I do the reverse. I'm thinking it'll mimic the dawn/dusk when plants could get moist bit not get hot or moldy.

But look at the lopsided new growth:

image5521.jpg

Compare to this earlier pic:

image5350.jpg

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your advice!

Back
Top Bottom