Light Advice, Please

The Bard

Hi there,

Thanks for taking a minute to take a look at my question. I currently have a 2x4 tent, with three inexpensive LEDs (blurples). I am thinking about adding a second tent, 4x4, which I will use for flowering. I would like to get recommendations on lighting for the new 4x4.

I would like to use LEDs again, to help manage the heat, as well as the electricity used. I am definitely not "handy" at all, and so really don't want to build my own.

I have two options currently in mind, and would love any reactions or suggestions anyone might have....

1) Two of the Mars Hydro SP-250s.
I like that this comes from a sponsor of this site, as well as the fact that they are not the purple coloured. Two of them will cost me about Canadian $700-750. True draw is 2 x 232 = 464. It looks like PPFD at 18" is 632, but I imagine that with two units running side-by-side and overlapping in area, that will increase substantially. My understanding is that it is pretty easy to remove the driver from the unit and have it run outside the tent, which would be a really nice feature.

2) I found another option from a brand I know nothing about, Phlizon. It is a "3000W" - actual draw of 629W. I would just do one of these, which I can get for Canadian $545. PPFD is rated at 2252 at 18". Here are the component parts: "6pcs COB, 110pcs 630-660nm, 12pcs 470nm, 12pcs 6500k, 4pcs UV, 6pcs IR" The COBs are 6 x 50W CREE. I don't think the driver can easily be removed from the unit to run outside the tent, or at least I have not seen mention of that. It is also purple light, which I would love to get away from if possible. I would post a link to it, but I don't think I am allowed to do so.

What do folks think? If you don't really like either one of these options, can you suggest something else that would be better for a 4x4 flowering tent, in the neighborhood of C$550-750 (that works out to about US$425-575, but it is important that I be able to source in Canada, in order to avoid import duties and taxes, which can really add up).

Any suggestions or comments would be great, thanks! If you would prefer not to post here, feel free to send me a message. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered 315 cmh I know its not an led but I use one in my 4x4 and have been very happy with the results. They draw 315 watts and have low heat output for an hid light the bulbs are full spectrum and can be used for 20,000 hours before needing to be replaced which equals 2 years of use. The bulbs are also the closest to the light produced by the sun. They are the equivalent of a 600 watt hps in light output. You can get them online for about $250 cad I got mine at my local grow shop for $300 which included a Phillips bulb which are the best cmh bulbs

Have you considered 315 cmh I know its not an led but I use one in my 4x4 and have been very happy with the results. They draw 315 watts and have low heat output for an hid light the bulbs are full spectrum and can be used for 20,000 hours before needing to be replaced which equals 2 years of use. The bulbs are also the closest to the light produced by the sun. They are the equivalent of a 600 watt hps in light output. You can get them online for about $250 cad I got mine at my local grow shop for $300 which included a Phillips bulb which are the best cmh bulbs

Thanks! No, I hadn't even thought about this option. You mention that they aren't as hot as other hid's, but are they still pretty warm? I like the LEDs because they add relatively little heat to the tent. I just did a quick google, and will do some more research - appreciate the suggestion.

In my experience so far with my cmh They get the temps from 70-74 in my 4x4 with my exhaust fan dailed all the way down to the lowest setting on my speed controller. I do grow in a garage mind you that stays fairly cool. In the winter I had to add a space heater to keep my temps were I wanted them

Cmh is a valid option lots of people like them. I'm considering trying out some in my 4x4s next winter if the budget will allow it.

I don't hate blurples as much as most people do. They grow plants. And they are usually quite affordable. Egrowlight is another sponsor of the site and I'm very happy with my light from them. I'm not sure how being in Canada will effect the process though.

For that price I think you can get an hlg 550 setup. If that's the case I wouldn't bother with anything but that.

In my experience so far with my cmh They get the temps from 70-74 in my 4x4 with my exhaust fan dailed all the way down to the lowest setting on my speed controller. I do grow in a garage mind you that stays fairly cool. In the winter I had to add a space heater to keep my temps were I wanted them

Got it. My tent (as well as the new tent to follow some day) is in the basement, which is also pretty cool. I have an exhaust fan running on a thermostat, which helps control the heat. With my current (cheap) LEDs, the fan is probably on 50% of the time during lights-on. The drawback to the basement is the ceiling height, which prevents me from getting a full size tent. I only have 75" inches to work with. It looks like the CMH reflectors are quite thick which might reduce my headspace further? What brand of reflector are you using, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks again - curious to learn more about this.

Im actually experimenting with a second one in my 4x4 tonight to see what kind of temps I get with that I can let you know what I discover

That would be great, thanks.

I actually have 3 cmh lights the first is Hydofarm I got that when I bought my 4x4 tent setup to start. I got a second one when I set up a 3x3 veg tent It is bc grow gear sold at my local grow shop. the 3rd was bought second hand not sure of the brand.

My 4x4 tent is 6.5 ft tall and head room was not a problem for me after a 8 week veg and after the stretch. My 3x3 is 5 ft tall in there I could see a headroom issue but I never intended to flower in that tent

I actually have 3 cmh lights the first is Hydofarm I got that when I bought my 4x4 tent setup to start. I got a second one when I set up a 3x3 veg tent It is bc grow gear sold at my local grow shop. the 3rd was bought second hand not sure of the brand.

My 4x4 tent is 6.5 ft tall and head room was not a problem for me after a 8 week veg and after the stretch. My 3x3 is 5 ft tall in there I could see a headroom issue but I never intended to flower in that tent

Thanks again. I am going to keep doing some research. The quick search I did seemed to suggest that 315W CMH is good for 4x4 in veg, but only 3x3 in flower. But perhaps different bulb types and reflectors influence that. More of a concern for me is the clearance/heat question. Definitely not ruling out a CMH at this point - curious to read more about them. Thanks again for floating the idea!

As always
I'd say get Quantums

Thanks Stunned. Since I am still pretty new to this (both growing, but especially lighting technology) can you share a little more detail of what you would recommend for a 4x4 flowering tent? Thanks!

Cmh is a valid option lots of people like them. I'm considering trying out some in my 4x4s next winter if the budget will allow it.

I don't hate blurples as much as most people do. They grow plants. And they are usually quite affordable. Egrowlight is another sponsor of the site and I'm very happy with my light from them. I'm not sure how being in Canada will effect the process though.

For that price I think you can get an hlg 550 setup. If that's the case I wouldn't bother with anything but that.

Thanks Mr. Bucket! I did look at HLG a few days ago. I just went back to their Canadian website and the 550 is C$1300. Looks fabulous, but a bit spendy for me right now. Maybe I'd be better off waiting for a bit until it is more within my buget.

I'll check out Egrowlight to see what options there are in Canada. Thanks again.

I started with cheapo blurples from Amazon, which I still use. You'll never regret spending money on good lights but plenty of folks have closets full of cheap lights they don't use.

You absolutely don't have to have spend $1000 on lights but besides a proper environment they are the most important part. Atreum makes quantum boards as well, they're not a sponsor but more affordable.

LedgrowlightsDepot have the HLG550 on sale. There's also new hlg550 with added deep red but only 3500k with that unit.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they are asking C$1533 for the HLG 550. HLG Canada is asking C$1300.

phlozon is junk my freind has 4 1200 watts at her house she grew 45 plants dodnt yield a lb. prob part of her own error but still is junk
get two or more hlg 260s its cheaper than 550 and can manage spread and adjust each driver if growing diff strains light tolerant on diff sides of tent

Back
Top Bottom