Light requirements for seedlings

spleef farmer

420 Member
I'm starting my grow season this year from seedlings. First time. 4 days sprouted, repotted into ROOTS soil and put under lights. Using CFL's to start approx 4 or 5" from sprouts. 24/7 lights, temps are 60 at night and approx. 75 to 80 days...... Usually grow from Clones.

Question: When can I switch to Metal Halide lights? :peace:

I'm starting my grow season this year from seedlings. First time. 4 days sprouted, repotted into ROOTS soil and put under lights. Using CFL's to start approx 4 or 5" from sprouts. 24/7 lights, temps are 60 at night and approx. 75 to 80 days...... Usually grow from Clones.

Question: When can I switch to Metal Halide lights? :peace:

Anytime - as long as you keep them far enough away to not damage the plants.

And I can't really say how far away without knowing the amount of HID lighting and other conditions (tent or open room, for example).

If you check my grow journal - I have seeds started in the past week and have already switched the MH light on. I place them under a T5 for the first week to save a little money while all the different seeds were germinating. I have a 400 watt and started it about 2.5 - 3 feet away from the plants. It has been there for two "days" now and no damage - they are looking quite healthy.

You could then move it closer as the plants get used to it. But typically the plants will grow into the light - so I leave it at this height (I might get it a couple of inches closer when they get a couple of weeks old - but not really necessary).

Thanks for the info. Don"t want to hurt the girls.... I"ll leave them under the T5"s for a week and take it from there. I have a 600 w MH with a hood (covers approx 4x4 area strong) enclosed w/ 4x8 sheets of foil face foam rigid insulation from Lowes and clip-on fans. It did very well last year for my cloning program. Will post pics as I go.

Growing WHITE WIDOW and BLACKBERRY.:peace:

Early Pics
The_Girls6.JPG
5_Days1.JPG

Growing WHITE WIDOW and BLACKBERRY.:peace:

Love WW - have never tried Blackberry. Your equipment sounds fine. I might adjust the 600W light a little bit higher than my recommendation to get started.

Good luck on your grow.

Back
Top Bottom