Lighting decision and other variables

mikehoncho1

Let me start by saying if this post is not allowed I apologize. I have read the terms,but am unclear if I can get the opinion on non sponsor lighting. So now what I need help with. I have a cabinet 3'x2'6"x6' with Mylar covering all wall space for my soil grow. I plan on growing 2-4 plants in there depending on your guys', and girls, input. I will be using a combination of LST, super cropping, and possibly will be a SCROG set up. Now to the part where I have been reading for the past month and half (to the point it feels like someone threw sand in my eyes, kicked me in the nuts, left me lying on the ground with my eyes bleeding and blowing snot bubbles out of my nose) LIGHTING. Was my description of pain for lighting research stupid? Probably, but that's how I feel. Stressed to the max because this is what makes the grow. After all the nutrients, methods of growing, soils, etc.. your crop still won't thrive without good lighting. So now that I have satisfied myself and bored you with my rambling I will propose what I had in mind and you guys, and girls can shoot me down, and tell me what a goofy novice I am. Like stated prior I have read and read and read and explored all lighting options but decided to go with LEDS for my sole flower light due to the space, the want to be stealthy, and I don't feel like dealing with all the extra heat of HID's. I have narrowed my search down to two LEDs California Light Works 200w Solar Flare bloom booster and the Area 51 SGS-160. If I go the Area51 route I would veg and bloom under that light. If I go the solar flare route I would veg under a 125w 6500k CFL with a hood and then introduce the solar flare when it is time to flower. Well that is the main concern but a few other questions I had are:
Will 3.5 gal pots be good for this grow?

Nute recommendation?

Soil recommendation?

Any other questions or advice is welcomed.

Hi mikehoncho.

Let me begin by welcoming you to the 420 Magazine site and community of members that gathers here to learn and support one another. :welcome: to :420:

Completely understand and empathize with your initial painful indecision regarding the lighting. In fact I would go so far as to suggest that anyone beginning to grow today that doesn't go through a similar painful learning/evaluation curve isn't thinking the process all the way through. I know it took me a month or more to read, read some more, and then go back and re-read in order to make a final decision.

I've read good reviews of the Area 51 lights and I even think there is at least one current journal running where the grower uses Area 51 lights and mentioned getting an additional panel after the first of the year when a new model is coming out. The ability to use only one light fixture from beginning to end would appeal to me over having to switch half way through a grow. Have you looked at Top LED? They are also a sponsor of the sight and their rep is very active here on 420. There are at least 3 journals I can think of using Top LED lights donated to the growers for testing against both HID's and other LED's. I think their pricing is pretty appealing as well.

Given you space constraints and the indication you want bushier plants (using LST, super cropping and possible SCROG), I would probably start with just 2 plants (3 at most) and leave them some room to spread. You also want to be able to maintain some good air flow around the plants that might be difficult in an overcrowding situation.

Don't know what you have available in your area for soil, but if you can get some ProMix HP with mychorrizae you would be off to a great start. Otherwise anything you can get your hands on that does not contain nutrients can work. If you can affordably get your hands on worm castings or kelp meal, along with plenty of perlite (25-30%) and you'll have something that will work.

Oh, and yes - 3.5 gallon containers will work given the limits of your space.

I don't have a enough experience with the different nutes to offer a first hand opinion. I use a 2 part organic product from a former sponsor of the site along with a bloom booster and have been very happy. Prior to that I tried using locally sourced (big box home improvement store) organic stuff and really struggled with dosage and timing of application. Having something specifically designed for cannabis has made all the difference for me.

As for general advice - keep reading and learning. I've witnessed, through their journals, folks that have been growing for 40 years or longer still learning through their interaction with other members and research. Each of our different grows is so unique to own environments, schedules, and other intangibles that it becomes tough to offer any truly worthwhile overarching suggestions, but through continually educating ourselves we can apply that knowledge to our individual situations.

Be well and happy growing.

Thanks TanR for the response and advice. You are correct switching the light out is not ideal but I didn't know if the solar flare bloom booster would flower the plants better than the area 51. I have seen the journals with SmokeSara's lights but I would rather support American companies when available. Again thank you, you have really helped me out. I didn't mean to start this thread here. Is there any way I can move it to a more suitable category.

I've requested one of the administrators move the thread to another category. I'm not sure where it will be moved to, but you can find it by looking under the "settings" button at the top right and looking under "subscribed threads". Happy hear I might have helped in some small way and wish you all the luck in getting your grow started!

Any thoughts on journaling your grow? It's a great to get a lot of expert assistance!

Thanks TanR for the response and advice. You are correct switching the light out is not ideal but I didn't know if the solar flare bloom booster would flower the plants better than the area 51. I have seen the journals with SmokeSara's lights but I would rather support American companies when available. Again thank you, you have really helped me out. I didn't mean to start this thread here. Is there any way I can move it to a more suitable category.

I've requested one of the administrators move the thread to another category. I'm not sure where it will be moved to, but you can find it by looking under the "settings" button at the top right and looking under "subscribed threads". Happy hear I might have helped in some small way and wish you all the luck in getting your grow started!

Any thoughts on journaling your grow? It's a great to get a lot of expert assistance!

Yeah I have considered doing a journal but I'm not sure on how I feel about big brother watching. Although I should have no fear about this because it's not like we have privacy anyway. Thanks for contacting the administers for me I need someone to keep me in line. I would give you rep points but I don't know how so hopefully my thanks will suffice. If I decide to do a grow journal would I just use this thread or start a new one?

I would start a new one under the Grow Room tab - "Grow Journals".

Hi Mikehoncho1. Just wanted to make sure you were aware this thread has been moved to the grow lighting section of the site.

Mike, If you are planning on using the entire area for flowering you want a little more power in there. You stated that you have 7.5 square feet of grow area to light. With a good quality LED panel you want at least 275 watts to cover that area. CLW makes a pretty good panel. I haven't been impressed with what I have seen from Area 51. If you think either of those 2 companies use 100% American components you are mistaken. CLW does assemble their own panels but Area 51 are straight up drop shippers. Sara provides what seems to be a quality product at a very competitive price. I have not personally used her product so I do not have first hand exp.

Back
Top Bottom