Limited Space & Resources - Zombie Ninja's PC Grow Box Experiment Journal!

Zombie Ninja

Ok guys, I'm pretty new here, posting a journal for what will be my first PC grow. I am not a professional by any means, and my funds and space are incredibly limited right now as I am currently collecting unemployment.

This is actually not my first grow, but it IS my first attempt in over 10 years, and while I was successful in seeing a plant to maturity the last go round, it turned out to be a male. (Bummer). But it was a pretty lame attempt. No setup or thought process at all. Now, armed with a little more knowledge, and being in my 30's and having a little patience, I am going to try again.

The setup:

As I alluded, I have very limited money and space, and the available personal space of mine that wouldn't be 'questioned' is very very small. I've always figured that I would have to wait until I got moved into a spot with a lot more freedom. Then I stumbled upon micro/stealth growing, and saw a video of a guy who used a PC and LST'd a plant to maturity with success. Then the light bulb(s) came on. (You see what I did there???) :)

I have a very basic computer desk in my bedroom. Under the desk, I have two almost identical towers sitting.. the processor fried on my Compaq Presario, and me being a hip hop emcee and guitar player, all of my music was stored on the hard drive to that comp. I had a very dear friend donate a computer to me that was almost identical so that I could continue to make music. In really good shape. I swapped hard drives and used the new comp! I love having awesome friends who are willing to help when they can. I try to do the same. Well, as I said, both towers have been sitting under my desk for quite sometime, side by side. I gutted the useless comp, then went searching around for parts.

I had two fans from the comp and a power strip. I took a visit to wally-world and bought three of those light adapters that plug directly in, three 28watt (I think) 2700k CFL's, and an auto windshield shade. Total cost: less than $20.

I came home and lined the inside of the box with the auto shade, mounted the power strip to the top of the box, installed the lights and awayyyy we went!

...and if you're wondering why the hell I don't just do a closet grow, the room I'm in honestly has no closet. Yeah, no shit.

The grow:

I started by attempting to germinate 9 random bag seeds (if it is fairly potent smoke and has nice tiger-striped seeds I've always had a habit of keeping a few), but they definitely came from maybe 2 or 3 different bags. I germinated them in a paper towel, and in 3 days, 8 of the 9 had popped and were ready for some dirt!! ...I must admit though, I did commit the cardinal sin of starting the plants before my box was built and plan had been fully thought out. :p I did know for sure what I wanted to do though, and the hamster was already on the wheel. I let my babies sit under a single CFL on 24/0 for three days until I got the box built.

You may be wondering why the hell I germinated so many when I have such limited space... I expect I'll lose maybe half of those to being male or poor performance. I want to give myself at least the opportunity to see a female flower come to fruition. I have a good friend who is currently working on building a closet setup who lives fairly close to me, and has offered to help me get a hydroponics system together for a future grow, as he has enough extra stuff laying around to help me get started, and he is willing to trade me for roughly half of the plants. So I do have a home for any extra females I may have.

This being an experiment, and me having limited room, I decided to put the plants straight to 12/12 from the moment they went in the box. Three days old. My hope is that the plants will show sex fairly early and I'll have a decent shot at getting buds on a female plant out of this little project.

The soil I'm using is a home-made mix soil, I know for sure that MG tends to burn budding plants with the high nitrogen contents. As it stood, it was all I had laying around. ( I make $183 a wk unemployment after taxes, so high quality soil is very much a luxury at the present time.) So I decided to water-down the MG, so to speak. I mixed approximately: 30% MG, 35% home soil (the soil here contains a good bit of red clay, I figured it may help keep moisture in the roots), and 35% sawdust, to hopefully help the soil aerate and offset the moisture-retaining properties of the mud-like clay. As it stands, I think the soil looks and feels magnificent, and I think I'd be happy if I was a lil mini-mee reefer tree basking in this man-made sun, building a life in this pillow-like soil I've mixed up. But we'll see. For now I have no way to test my ph, so I'm hoping the soil mix and my well water will suffice. If I begin to have problems, well, that's what I've got you fine genius green thumb bitches for!!!

:thumb:

Like I said, 8 of my 9 seeds sprouted. When it came time to put the lil ladies (hopefully) into the box, I found I only really had room for 7 of them. And that was pushing it. I made the decision to go ahead and get rid of the smallest of the seedlings. I planted them all into mini flower trays and I know they'll need something bigger very soon.

- I begin germination on 11/20/12.
- Seedlings went into dirt and under 24 hrs of light on 11/24.
- Plants went into the box and directly to 12/12 light cycle on 11/27.

I'm not an expert, or anywhere close. I don't expect much in the way of a yield this time. It is simply a run to find out what, if anything, this box is capable of. And to answer the questions I have about my soil and water. I have my mind working on a way to grow bigger and remain unnoticeable, but for now, let's see where this goes!
DSCI1431.JPG

These computers have been sitting under my desk for months now. I turned one into a grow box while I was at home by myself one day, slid it back into place, and no one has noticed a thing.

DSCI1437.JPG

Here is my box as she sits on 12/9. I forgot to change the date on my camera lol so ignore the wrong date lol.. they were all started at the same time in the same flower trays.. I have since transplanted most of them into something at least slightly larger.The one now in the solo cup grew leaps and bounds above the rest even in the flower trays and has continued fast growth. I almost think this fast growing boooger may be my first male. But no way to be sure yet. My buddy will be here in the next day or so to take a few off of my hands.

re: Limited Space & Resources - Zombie Ninja's PC Grow Box Experiment Journal!

well I will have to stick around and see how you do:clap::goodluck:

Thank you!!! I have the feeling I'm going to need it! And another note: I topped the soil with a little extra sawdust, dunno if it did anything useful, but they look happy for now. Today is the 12th day in the box and 15th day they've been in dirt. But the rest of the soil isn't quite THAT much sawdust. Like I said I gave the approximate ratio that I mixed above.

i am not real keen on the sawdust. why? Icant seem to remember, but for some reason it sends a red flag in my brain.
when I remember why I will get back to you or maybe someone else will shake my cobwebs loose:)
maybe nothing bad at all but I aint sure.:)

I hope not lol... I didn't add the sawdust but to 4 of them I think, (other than the top 1/32 of an inch) so if it does become a problem then not all is lost. Like I said I'm experimenting and bound to f*ck somethings up along the way. The other 4 were a mix of about 40% MG and 60% home soil. Those were the ones that I transplanted first and I thought the consistency of the MG and the clay were just a tad too wet. That was my reasoning behind the sawdust.

If it turns out to be an epic fail, then at least we'll all have a journal to link other rookies to, just to show them how much of a bad idea it is :)

I will be keeping an eye on this one! :goodluck:

Oh geez... fml... I guess I better hope my ph was on the other end of the spectrum... because nutes are simply out of my budget :/ at least I didn't do the whole crop this way. The top layer is about to be promtly removed. Thank you Giga!

Actually, now that you mention perilite, it was in the list of things my buddy said he was bringing me today!! So maybe I have not royally screwed myself yet! Good friends, man... forever savin my ass.

oops there it is:)
saw dust in soil causes acid to rise...a lot

well to be more accurate sawdust messes with the PH...whether up or down depends on the wood. large differences between hard and soft wood dust ;)

ninja1.JPG

I was about to post what wood it came from... we have a log splitter in the yard, and the saw dust is from trees that have been split and from the chainsaw used to cut some of the logs to size. A good bit of the wood has been sitting for several months, at least. So.. it's not like it came from pressure treated lumber or anything.. not sure how much of a difference this makes. So this sawdust is very, very soft. Almost mulch like.

I was about to post what wood it came from... we have a log splitter in the yard, and the saw dust is from trees that have been split and from the chainsaw used to cut some of the logs to size. A good bit of the wood has been sitting for several months, at least. So.. it's not like it came from pressure treated lumber or anything.. not sure how much of a difference this makes. So this sawdust is very, very soft. Almost mulch like.

:rofl:

what type of tree? lol

Mostly maple and oak I believe. Maybe a few cedars.Most of the wood has been sitting for well over a year, and all of it for at least 7 months.

So, yeah, technically hardwoods mostly. We run wood burning furnace in the wintertime for heat. But I meant the sawdust itself is very soft texture wise lol.. I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes lmao

Thank you :) I'll definitely check it out here i a bit. Doing a bit of cleaning and back forth to the comp... the MG I'm using is 21-7-14...So I knew I probably shouldn't have been growing in straight MG. But I didn't know much more than that.

if you live that close to woods...how come your using chemical ferts...sounds like you can all the twigs, leaves and animal waste you could ever need for your growing ;)

the BIGGEST gain by using organic has nothing to do with being planet friendly and all to do with not burning your plants to a crisp as MG is known to do ;)

Back
Top Bottom