Limited Space & Resources - Zombie Ninja's PC Grow Box Experiment Journal!

re: Limited Space & Resources - Zombie Ninja's PC Grow Box Experiment Journal!

miricale grow aint all that bad. most of the down part is you are set with the nutes. no adjusting.
I have and seen grows with it that came out ok just not to full potential.
I agree with GiG about the acid from your mulch and with the investment in a $10 bag of perlite instead heck you could find some styrafoam packing and grind that up. good luck with your grow its always a learning thing wether you have grown 1 plant or 60 :)

HIGH! Welcome to 420 Magazine!

I just woke up. Nice to see the PC case not going to the landfill! I think it's an excellent place to start. Flowering in that might be a little tough, but to start seeds, and veg a bit while you get your discreet flowering area ready, I think it's sheer genius. I love the fact that you chose a place that's been sitting there as something else since gawds know when. It adds to the stealth-i-ness because those that saw it go there will think it's still full of computer parts, and never give it a second thought. PLUS, you have a working computer sitting right next to it, so if you have to put in a PC fan to keep things cool in there, the noise will be dismissed as the running computer.

That sawdust in the soil, while it CAN be a bad thing, depending on what type it is, won't case much harm. Yes, it can play hell with pH levels, but the main concern for me is if it is commercially produced lumber that became that sawdust. Chemically treated wood becoming sawdust can harm the earth to the point that nothing will grow there for a while. I've seen that personally. I helped raise the walls of a house that was being built next door to where I lived. They used treated lumber in the walls Where the saw horse was, the sawdust fell, and was just left there until the landscaping phase. In that patch, the sod died off, and seed would not take. The grass would not even grow into that place for about a year, and then it slowly started inching in.

The fact that your weedlings are growing in it gives me some solace, though. I'd be interested in seeing how the plants do sawdust vs. not. But I'd also need the information on the sawdust, its source, and breed of tree, for the best information.

I'll be following along, and I see fishy here, too, saying anything other than, "What he said". Giga's a wonderful addition to the thread. I think with the three of us, you will hurt for no answers, no matter how obscure.

You're off to a wonderful start, and I wish you the best. I'm following along so if you have any questions at all, just ask them here. Chances are that Giga or fishy will know the answer and answer before I get to it, but hey, at least I can confirm or refute their answers :blalol:

I was about to post what wood it came from... we have a log splitter in the yard, and the saw dust is from trees that have been split and from the chainsaw used to cut some of the logs to size. A good bit of the wood has been sitting for several months, at least. So.. it's not like it came from pressure treated lumber or anything.. not sure how much of a difference this makes. So this sawdust is very, very soft. Almost mulch like.

And now I see this... Please disregard the above.

The Cedar dust makes me nervous... Heavy pH shifts... and salty as hell...

Oak and maple, though are soil sweeteners, so.... may be offset. I dunno, depends on the ratio

Ive grown in Carolina Red Clay, Arkansas Red Dirt, and Texas Black Gumbo soil... Perlite, perlite, perlite.. as soon as you get it from your buddy, I'd mix it with yard, and MG to 33/33/33 and get them out of that sawdust just to be safe. or you could leave one in the sawdust just to be scientific and gather information.

And you can go to the dollar store near you and get a couple of little bags there... It's okay soil, but it would need to be mixed into your other mix, and perlite added for MJ.

yeah what Jandre said:)

if you live that close to woods...how come your using chemical ferts...sounds like you can all the twigs, leaves and animal waste you could ever need for your growing ;)

the BIGGEST gain by using organic has nothing to do with being planet friendly and all to do with not burning your plants to a crisp as MG is known to do ;)

Funny thing is, I saw a guy make a 'tea' for his plants as fertilizer out of llama poo, and I happen to have a neighbor with Llamas! LOL all the free Llama tea I can stand to make :) I had planned on using it when my plants start getting a little bigger. And I guess the only reason for using the MG instead of the regular soil here is because it is very much mostly clay.. I live in the south, and in the country at that. I just didn't trust the clay to handle my plants business lol

The Cedar dust makes me nervous... Heavy pH shifts... and salty as hell...

Oak and maple, though are soil sweeteners, so.... may be offset. I dunno, depends on the ratio

Ive grown in Carolina Red Clay, Arkansas Red Dirt, and Texas Black Gumbo soil... Perlite, perlite, perlite.. as soon as you get it from your buddy, I'd mix it with yard, and MG to 33/33/33 and get them out of that sawdust just to be safe. or you could leave one in the sawdust just to be scientific and gather information.

And you can go to the dollar store near you and get a couple of little bags there... It's okay soil, but it would need to be mixed into your other mix, and perlite added for MJ.

I can say for certain that if it was cedar, if was very, very minimal. Mostly maple and oak. At leat 90% of it for sure. Maybe all of it.

if you live that close to woods...how come your using chemical ferts...sounds like you can all the twigs, leaves and animal waste you could ever need for your growing ;)

the BIGGEST gain by using organic has nothing to do with being planet friendly and all to do with not burning your plants to a crisp as MG is known to do ;)

Hey, Giga... That's a myth, you know... it is entirely possible to burn plants with organics. Bat guano, mixed too strongly will do it, and so will worm castings. As a mater of fact, not a damn thing will grow very long in a pot that has too much of either. Mix too much Blood Meal into a soil bed and watch everything burn and curl under..... So.... yeah... Organics will burn just like chemical ferts if you get too much of either. I'm just sayin'...

HIGH! Welcome to 420 Magazine!

I just woke up. Nice to see the PC case not going to the landfill! I think it's an excellent place to start. Flowering in that might be a little tough, but to start seeds, and veg a bit while you get your discreet flowering area ready, I think it's sheer genius. I love the fact that you chose a place that's been sitting there as something else since gawds know when. It adds to the stealth-i-ness because those that saw it go there will think it's still full of computer parts, and never give it a second thought. PLUS, you have a working computer sitting right next to it, so if you have to put in a PC fan to keep things cool in there, the noise will be dismissed as the running computer.

That sawdust in the soil, while it CAN be a bad thing, depending on what type it is, won't case much harm. Yes, it can play hell with pH levels, but the main concern for me is if it is commercially produced lumber that became that sawdust. Chemically treated wood becoming sawdust can harm the earth to the point that nothing will grow there for a while. I've seen that personally. I helped raise the walls of a house that was being built next door to where I lived. They used treated lumber in the walls Where the saw horse was, the sawdust fell, and was just left there until the landscaping phase. In that patch, the sod died off, and seed would not take. The grass would not even grow into that place for about a year, and then it slowly started inching in.

The fact that your weedlings are growing in it gives me some solace, though. I'd be interested in seeing how the plants do sawdust vs. not. But I'd also need the information on the sawdust, its source, and breed of tree, for the best information.

I'll be following along, and I see fishy here, too, saying anything other than, "What he said". Giga's a wonderful addition to the thread. I think with the three of us, you will hurt for no answers, no matter how obscure.

You're off to a wonderful start, and I wish you the best. I'm following along so if you have any questions at all, just ask them here. Chances are that Giga or fishy will know the answer and answer before I get to it, but hey, at least I can confirm or refute their answers :blalol:

There actually are fans in the pc case, an intake fan in the back bottom of the unit and outtake fan in the top back. The plants actually do get blown around a little bit,. And since the sawdust is only mixed in the soil of about half of these plants, we will get a good side-by-side comparison of how the two fare.

There actually are fans in the pc case, an intake fan in the back bottom of the unit and outtake fan in the top back. The plants actually do get blown around a little bit,. And since the sawdust is only mixed in the soil of about half of these plants, we will get a good side-by-side comparison of how the two fare.

Excellent!

I'm sorry, I have to disagree strongly with you Jandre.

The biggest myth is about the purity of cucumber. In reality it is created by the devil for purposes of pure evil.

And that's it really :)

P.S. Hehehe... and I thought the mush I made yesterday with all the bits from my harvest didn't work .... :clown::slide:

P.P.S. Zombie... sorry for the Random Fluffy Nonsense Hijack, I tend to do that :bigblush:

Hey, Giga... That's a myth, you know... it is entirely possible to burn plants with organics. Bat guano, mixed too strongly will do it, and so will worm castings. As a mater of fact, not a damn thing will grow very long in a pot that has too much of either. Mix too much Blood Meal into a soil bed and watch everything burn and curl under..... So.... yeah... Organics will burn just like chemical ferts if you get too much of either. I'm just sayin'...

I appologise for my semi accurate statement. :rofl:

I still havnt messed with any hardcore organics yet like bat poop, lol
the things I use or want to use claim they wont burn your plants.
and thanks for making me check...the data sheet on mine doesnt give a PH rating but says its "neutral or slightly alkelia" so i may need to adjust my water to compensate for this grow. ill improve the soil for the next grow =D

RSPB Multi Purpose Organic Compost | MPC | Peat Free | Recycled Compost
^ what iim growing in now

Organic Extra | Natural Concentrated Farmyard Manure
^ my soon to be, upgrade
Our exclusive super-concentrated fertiliser is light and easy to use. It contains essential trace elements and minerals to boost healthy growth and encourage bumper crops. Its organic fertiliser is released to plants over a long period and because it is concentrated you only need a couple of handfuls per sq. yd. Unlike fresh manure or chemical fertilisers, it won't scorch plants so you can use it everywhere.

i have grown in 50% worm castings with no ill effect, chicken dump is wicked if not properly composted i have yard birds and make it for the outdoor garden scared to use it on cannabis in pots, but hell i have coreys poop so no need to think about it,
oh hi ninja btw! lol i'll hang about if you are cool with it, i do lots of organic stuff so i should be of some use, ,start a poop collection!! and compost it or make some frothy tea, with tea you can dilute it to be very weak and gradually increase the strength as they gain tolerance and need,
its all about the poo the poo wikity wack it poo poo
start a worm bin ,get some red wigglers from cheesebay 2-3$ feed them table scraps,paper,cardboard,poo. worm poop is the best poop imho and start surffn the intranetts for organic gardening tips n tricks you'd be surprised what can be made into awesome fertilizer, if your a vegan you can just dump on your plants yourself lol but please no pics of a fresh brown trout in the ol pc grow box lol <-----joking :rofl: i love micro growing i have a spare case i was thinking of making a grow box with just for fun, maybe grow basil in it lol my mom has the exact same pc you have i laughed when i saw it thats cool ok im outtie 4 now

Good morning guys and gals, thought I'd do a quick update. I went to bed fairly early last night, woke up around 5 am or so. I don't have a timer for my lights yet (one on the way) so I have to be up to flip the switch at 6am every morning. Well, when I got up and flipped the switch this morning, I opened the box to see how well they were getting along and I was super excited to find that my plants were all partying like it was 1999 again lol! They all seem super stupid happy!! Two of the larger plants have a really sweet dank smell to them already and I woke my fiance up just to make her smell the roses... now that wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had, because she is about as mean as a rattlesnake in the mornings haha... but she was impressed though when I let her peek in the box and see them all doing so well. She's off to work now, and I'm supposed to be going to do some bass fishing this morning in search of that wall hanger.

I'll post some pics up today sometime, because my plants wouldn't be partying if it wasn't for the things I've learned here from you guys. My plants asked me to put you all the guest list ;)

:popcorn:

Ok guys so here I am, it's after 9:30 and I still haven't posted the pics I promised this morning. Ugh. Well, you can't rush perfection, so excuse my lateness ;) It's definitely been a busy day, and I have gotten a TON of useful stuff accomplished:

- My buddy came by today and I gave him 3 of the 7 plants. At least 1 or 2 of them he plans to put in his DWC setup. The next time I'm over there, I'll try to remember to get pics so we can see how the adopted siblings are doing.

- In return, he brought me a light timer and a pump to start building my own DWC... that project may be worthy of it's own journal. It's coming, so we shall see.

- In light of that upcoming event, I went ahead and bought some cloning gel. This is something I plan to work with until I have it mastered. With the knowledge and help that I gain from this wonderful site, I doubt it will be a serious issue. Y'all are awesome.

- I purchased 3 more CFL's. I have came up with a plan to give me much more room to flower... so I am beginning to get some things together for that build. There will be much more stuff added as I continue to draw this plan up. You guys are gonna love it. (I hope)

- I bought some pH strips to test my water... I'm not sure if there is a way to test the soil with them, could I test the runoff after watering maybe? (And get a fairly accurate reading?) I need help here if you guys have ideas. But my well water tested better than I thought it would. I'll let you guys mull over the data though and tell me if it's in pretty good shape. The results:

Nitrate - 0 ppm.
Nitrite - 0 ppm.
Total hardness - between 0 and 25 ppm.
Total alkalinity - between 0 and 40 ppm.
pH - 6.8.

My water always sits for at least 24 hours before I ever give them to my plants.

- I bought a thermometer for the box. Even though the plants are doing okay and it doesn't seem to get too hot or cold, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

- And last, but DEFINITELY not least, I've got 2 regular White Widow seeds coming from Castle!!! Ahh I can't freakin wait!!!! I paid less than 9 bucks. I do not plan on even germinating them until I have mastered cloning. I'm hoping for 2 girls, but either way I plan to grow the hell out of whatever pops out of those seeds. So believe me guys, I'm here to stay and I plan on doing things as right as I possibly can without breaking the bank!!

Fingers crossed I get some viable seeds. And now, without further adue, here's this morning's pictures... its the last pictures I have of the whole family together. My box is down to 4, and I'm positive the other 3 are in good hands.
IMG_20121210_093829.jpg

IMG_20121210_094118.jpg
IMG_20121210_094045.jpg
IMG_20121210_113416.jpg

It's been 20 days since germination, and exactly 2 weeks today in the box on 12/12.

Back
Top Bottom