Line guerrilla grow holes with plastic bags or not?

radrichie61

I’m getting ever so closer to my first gorilla grow. I’m trying to make up my mind whether to go with seedling soil straight into a hole in the ground or to line the hole with a plastic trash bag and put the pearl light, and soil in there. What are your thoughts? Line the whole or not. The area I am in can get dry in the late summer. Thoughts, line the hole or leave it just in the soil..

I would not line the hole…. and I’d suggest taking a deep dive into SIP club (sub irrigated planter)

the problem with continuous water availability is roots can’t breathe in a constantly wet soil… the SIP sidesteps the problem because there is an air chamber just above the reservoir. Plants need to be trained to the peculiarities of SIP - that is having a wetter soil gradient than normal from an early age.

SIP requires that you use about 40% perlite in your soil mix so the water can wick up to the plant. I’m considering building a SIP or two on the sides of small creek. I think the sides will be better with less chance of being damaged in a high water event

there are SIP grow journals here by 420 members Reservoir Dog, Buds Buddy and Azimuth, also closely related but Carmen Ray is doing wicks or swick techniques

Heres links Azimuth SIP club and another one Buds Buddy SIP and for the SWICK Carmen Ray SWICK

if you do decide to add a liner suggest you bury a colander or similar between water and soil to provide an air chamber… SIPs use wicking and the bottom of the containers require considerations for the wick foot and packing soil or other media should be compressed in tightly at the bottom to provide proper wicking action. Again this method is cool but funky so it’s important to understand how it works. SIPs do provide faster growth than running the wet dry cycle…

I’m getting ever so closer to my first gorilla grow. I’m trying to make up my mind whether to go with seedling soil straight into a hole in the ground or to line the hole with a plastic trash bag and put the pearl light, and soil in there. What are your thoughts? Line the whole or not. The area I am in can get dry in the late summer. Thoughts, line the hole or leave it just in the soil..
I really understand why you are considering using a plastic bag. Here are a few negative points that should be thought about before starting the work. They are based on things that occurred to me while fishing or hunting. I was always looking at potential guerilla growing areas.

Dragging the bag into you guerilla grow is just one more chore. Plus any part of the plastic that might stick up and be visible could attract attention. Count those as reasons to skip doing it.

There is a real good chance that lining the hole with a plastic bag will prevent excess water from draining out after heavy rains such as a quick summer storm that dumps an inch or two in an hour. Same if there is a 2 or 3 day on and off rain in the summer that dumps a couple of inches. The bag, even with some holes punched in it will not drain fast. The water is trapped and that will prevent oxygen from getting to the saturated soil and the roots. Also the excess water would encourage an anorexic decomposing of any organic material in the soil around the roots. Another reason to skip the bag.

During normal conditions the plant will send out roots to the sides and down as a normal growth. The root system will pick up water and nutrients as it does this. When it comes to the plastic bag the roots will be forced to stay in the soil inside the plastic lined hole. The plant will not be able to send roots out past the immediate area searching for water and eventually searching for more nutrients. Another reason.

Just as the water can be trapped inside the bag the opposite can happen. Moisture on the other side of the bag is prevented from getting to soil that is already surrounding the roots through normal capillary action. That compounds the problem mentioned in the paragraph above. Another reason.

Plastic does not decompose back to the organic hydrogen and carbon materials it originally started of as. Plastic is basically 'forever'. The plastic will start to break up into pieces, getting smaller and smaller, but that is not decomposition, just smaller pieces of plastic. The plastic bag is just more litter in the ground or blowing in the wind above the soil. Kind of like the plastic jugs of water that have hauled in and left behind for someone else to clean up. Another reason.

Best thing to do is haul in organic materials that will absorb and hold onto the water for a while. Peat moss comes to mind. Even easier is to find piles decomposing leaves and old, well decomposed logs. Put that organic material into the hole. Mix it in and add some blood meal to encourage a faster decomposition of the materials. This organic material will help feed the plant and will hold onto excess water after heavy rainfalls.

I can't come up with a really good reason to use plastic to line the hole.

Best thing to do is haul in organic materials that will absorb and hold onto the water for a while. Peat moss comes to mind. Even easier is to find piles decomposing leaves and old, well decomposed logs. Put that organic material into the hole. Mix it in and add some blood meal to encourage a faster decomposition of the materials. This organic material will help feed the plant and will hold onto excess water after heavy rainfalls.
What SmokinWings said, Take a good digging fork with you & dig it 2' deep 4' wide. It will allow the roots to get down to the deeper moisture. You could also mix in some water crystals to help if a dry period hits. Put them on a mound in case of excess rain & add a mulch layer for drought.

& add a mulch layer for drought.
I had forgot about mulching. Even a half-ass job of mulching can do a lot for keeping the soil moist for a long time.

It is surprising how a layer of mulch can let water get to the soil underneath and then prevent the same water from evaporating out of the soil before the plant has a chance to use it.

I have seen mulching called "sheet composting". A layer of organic material to holds moisture, reduces rapid swings in soil temperatures, helps prevent weed growth and slowly decomposes so the nutrients become available all season long.

I really understand why you are considering using a plastic bag. Here are a few negative points that should be thought about before starting the work. They are based on things that occurred to me while fishing or hunting. I was always looking at potential guerilla growing areas.

Dragging the bag into you guerilla grow is just one more chore. Plus any part of the plastic that might stick up and be visible could attract attention. Count those as reasons to skip doing it.

There is a real good chance that lining the hole with a plastic bag will prevent excess water from draining out after heavy rains such as a quick summer storm that dumps an inch or two in an hour. Same if there is a 2 or 3 day on and off rain in the summer that dumps a couple of inches. The bag, even with some holes punched in it will not drain fast. The water is trapped and that will prevent oxygen from getting to the saturated soil and the roots. Also the excess water would encourage an anorexic decomposing of any organic material in the soil around the roots. Another reason to skip the bag.

During normal conditions the plant will send out roots to the sides and down as a normal growth. The root system will pick up water and nutrients as it does this. When it comes to the plastic bag the roots will be forced to stay in the soil inside the plastic lined hole. The plant will not be able to send roots out past the immediate area searching for water and eventually searching for more nutrients. Another reason.

Just as the water can be trapped inside the bag the opposite can happen. Moisture on the other side of the bag is prevented from getting to soil that is already surrounding the roots through normal capillary action. That compounds the problem mentioned in the paragraph above. Another reason.

Plastic does not decompose back to the organic hydrogen and carbon materials it originally started of as. Plastic is basically 'forever'. The plastic will start to break up into pieces, getting smaller and smaller, but that is not decomposition, just smaller pieces of plastic. The plastic bag is just more litter in the ground or blowing in the wind above the soil. Kind of like the plastic jugs of water that have hauled in and left behind for someone else to clean up. Another reason.

I couldn’t either but it was something I saw and just wanted to ask. It would make no sense. You put it in the ground so the roots can spread out and grow not sit inside a container.

That's kinda the same answer I gave @radrichie61 in his identical first post 6 hours after to this one. Just @SmokingWings gave you a Much More Detailed explanation to my short answer. :ganjamon:;):peace:

Also fuk plastic. A prominent marine scientist spoke about 3 years ago nearby and stated by 2030, There could be more pieces of plastic in the ocean than there are fish. I swear to God that’s what they said and I don’t doubt it. Fuck plastic don’t use it much anyway. Thanks guys

Also fuk plastic. A prominent marine scientist spoke about 3 years ago nearby and stated by 2030, There could be more pieces of plastic in the ocean than there are fish. I swear to God that’s what they said and I don’t doubt it. Fuck plastic don’t use it much anyway. Thanks guys
I agree buddy! The earth you plant your roots into, Do Not like artificial Plastic's made of oil petroleum anymore than our ocean's does and seafood it with holds!!! Keep it organic as possible. Happy Growing in your future outdoor grow. And Hell man, keep us all updated with your outdoor grow!! :passitleft::roorrip:

A prominent marine scientist spoke about 3 years ago nearby and stated by 2030, There could be more pieces of plastic in the ocean than there are fish. I swear to God that’s what they said and I don’t doubt it. Fuck plastic don’t use it much anyway.
I remember what that info was hitting the news. It is not pieces of plastic but weight. More plastic by weight than the weight of all the fish.

Looked it up and found this:
"If things don't change, by 2025 the oceans will contain one metric ton of plastic for every three metric tons of fish. By 2050 plastic will outweigh fish entirely."

And it is not just the pieces of plastic causing problems. They can now measure the amounts of the solvents used in the plastic in the water surrounding the islands of trash. There is the problem of fish eating pieces of plastic and not being able to pass them through so they end up starving to death. The solvents in the water might just kill the fish outright without starvation.

Back
Top Bottom