Long term storage

gateswood

420 Member
I'm putting some goodies away for a while. For each package I will use four smaller 5 mil, 5 layer mylar bags inside of a larger bag of the same type and keep in a cool, dark place. I can't really vacuum all the air out of any of the bags without getting really freaky building attachments for my vacuum pump.

Question is: will it be beneficial to add oxygen absorbers and 62% Boveda humidity control to the larger outer container bag?

I cant speak from experience in preserving weed but with any organics oxygen will be your enemy. If your talking less than a year I think you will be cool just doing as you say but anything more I would be concerned about mold and other bacteria. I wouldnt use boveda packs for long term storage but instead add them to rehydrate before use.

Personally I would break down any flower material into oil or hash then vacuum seal.

I'm putting some goodies away for a while. For each package I will use four smaller 5 mil, 5 layer mylar bags inside of a larger bag of the same type and keep in a cool, dark place. I can't really vacuum all the air out of any of the bags without getting really freaky building attachments for my vacuum pump.

Question is: will it be beneficial to add oxygen absorbers and 62% Boveda humidity control to the larger outer container bag?

I can share a recent storey. I was doing a reorg in the basement storage room and found a coffee can full of dried ground cannabis. It is 7 years old. Perfect condition.

It was air dried before going in to the can.

Don't know about mylar.

I regularly smoke weed that is over a year old and all I do is store them in mason jars and put them in a drawer. Oxygen and light are responsible for degradation of THC.

Thanks for all the information. I've had the great opportunity to rathole a bunch of prime stuff in perfect condition. So I want to maintain it that way for the duration and remove small amounts from perma-storage for use as needed. What I'm doing is putting half z's in half quart bags and putting four of them in each gallon bag. Four different strains in each gallon bag.

Each small bag is getting a 300cc oxygen absorber (gallon size) and I'm putting a humidity monitor strip in one of the bags in each gallon. I'm putting 62% Boveda in the outer bags to keep the large container bag at a proper atmosphere for the oxygen free inner bags. A humidity strip in each outer bag, too.

These 5 ply stink sacks are very impermeable, especially when small ones are sealed inside big ones. No smell escapes but open one and leave the house for a few minutes and the aroma fills the entire house. I did that the other day and the smell hit me as soon we came in the front door.

Back
Top Bottom