Looking for hardy strain that would be content alone in nature

mediblemyc

420 Member
Hi I'm mediblemyc.
I have a plan I'm currently working out and would appreciate a little help.

I need a specific strain that will survive multiple years, so multiple crops, give good yields despite the fact that the weather is terrible.
Theyll be effectively fed for 6weeks then left to do their own thing, let nature run its course so I can drop by once a quarter and crop gradually within the sept/Oct window.

I also wish to have both male and female plants so that they will breed and give me seeds each year too.

Ideally ruderalis would have been adequate but they perish as soon as their prescribed life span is spent.

So I'm clearly looking at regular seeds vs autoflower, but due to wanting to breed I'll need actual regulars, not feminised seeds.

I'd like to think I have a good idea of cannabis growth patterns but there is a smorgasbord of new strains coming out each day, so if anyone knows of something that would fit this criteria please fill me in.

Thanks...

Cannabis is an annual dioecious plant. You will only get one crop from each plant then will have to replant the following year.

You could attempt to setup a field of males and females and have them naturally reestablish every year but that’s gonna take effort and monitoring and you likely won’t get very good crop results due to pollination.

I'm not going to be helpful here, as it sounds like one heck of a pipe dream to me. But I'll admit I'm a tad confused .. You state in one sentence that ruderalis is out since they perish, but then in the very next sentence you state you are choosing between regular seeds and autoflower ....
Firstly, regular means the seeds will be both male and female, and can apply to both autoflower and photoperiod plants.
Secondly, autoflower plants are only autoflower plants because of the ruderalis genes bred into them. So, if you don't want ruderalis.... you don't want autoflowers.

You mention a strain that will survive multiple years and have multiple crops - I think this doesn't exist in cannabis
You mention wanting good yields despite terrible weather - I'd suggest a greenhouse or indoor grow.

I wonder what your plan is to use the crop for - selling buds wont be effective if you let them seed out.

I'm not going to be helpful here, as it sounds like one heck of a pipe dream to me. But I'll admit I'm a tad confused .. You state in one sentence that ruderalis is out since they perish, but then in the very next sentence you state you are choosing between regular seeds and autoflower ....
Firstly, regular means the seeds will be both male and female, and can apply to both autoflower and photoperiod plants.
Secondly, autoflower plants are only autoflower plants because of the ruderalis genes bred into them. So, if you don't want ruderalis.... you don't want autoflowers.

You mention a strain that will survive multiple years and have multiple crops - I think this doesn't exist in cannabis
You mention wanting good yields despite terrible weather - I'd suggest a greenhouse or indoor grow.

I wonder what your plan is to use the crop for - selling buds wont be effective if you let them seed out.
No you're incorrect.
At least from a British or European perspective.

Regular seeds = Male plus female photoperiod.
Feminised = female only photoperiod
Autoflower = ruderalis cross which is not photoperiod as in dependant upon day length.

hardly any interest in selling buds though maybe a little cash injection wouldn't hurt, more trying to take advantage of a scalable approach to cannabis cultivation.

Inside i have had multiple crops from one plant.
Admittedly by using regular or feminised but NEVER AUTOMATIC SEEDS.
Also done over a period of 18months.

so in principle the theory works that crop your plant.
Leave a small stem and wait...suddenly it begins to grow again.

So eli5, why is it not possible to do this outside when we are attempting to verbatim copy the environment inside?

Cannabis is an annual dioecious plant. You will only get one crop from each plant then will have to replant the following year.

You could attempt to setup a field of males and females and have them naturally reestablish every year but that’s gonna take effort and monitoring and you likely won’t get very good crop
I have had seedy bud before and its not good but I've also grown some fantastic plants from bag seed.

My intention is to repeat with cannabis what I've done with fruit bushes and trees in my local area and a few others that I've moved through.
plant so many that even if there was a concerted effort to locate and destroy them hundreds would slip through the net.

Inside, not 3 feet from me now, I have had a northern lights and skunk #1 going in and out of veg / bloom for 18 months.

Can you break down why this wont work outsize considering the root network and stalk will be in tact until the next season.
Would it not just reveg the following year like my fruit does...?

I'm fed up of a few people siphoning wealth from the many by withholding access to natural things at a price that never stops increasing.

I look around and see people exchanging tiny pieces of dried vegetation for cash exchanged for time when this could all be easily dealt with.

Something has to give but first someone has to take the hit, financially or otherwise. That's me I hope.

Thanks for your time bro.

I have had seedy bud before and its not good but I've also grown some fantastic plants from bag seed.

No doubt.. my first two journals are bagseed. To be fair, they were purchased genetics that hermed on my MIL. I grabbed the seeds out of the tray after trimming. They produced amazing cannabis, even better than the original plants lol.

My intention is to repeat with cannabis what I've done with fruit bushes and trees in my local area and a few others that I've moved through.
plant so many that even if there was a concerted effort to locate and destroy them hundreds would slip through the net.

Inside, not 3 feet from me now, I have had a northern lights and skunk #1 going in and out of veg / bloom for 18 months.

Can you break down why this wont work outsize considering the root network and stalk will be in tact until the next season.

I'm fed up of a few people siphoning wealth from the many by withholding access to natural things at a price that never stops increasing.

I look around and see people exchanging tiny pieces of dried vegetation for cash exchanged for time when this could all be easily dealt with.

Something has to give but first someone has to take the hit, financially or otherwise. That's me I hope.

Thanks for your time bro.

Ok, I think I get what you’re saying. Yes you could theoretically keep a plant forever. This is what lots of people do. They find a plant they like and keep it in Veg. They take clones from that vegging plant and flower those clones out while leaving the mother plant eternally in Veg. Clackamas coots has been flowering the same plant through clones for over 20 years. He keeps it indoors under low light so it’s not constantly growing massive but is enough to keep it going to take clones from.

There are a few issues you have to account for doing this outdoors. First is light/darkness. Photoperiods begin flowering once they have a certain amount of darkness. Somewhere around 12 hours. Once the plant senses the seasons changing and the longer darkness it will automatically go into flower. The only way to prevent this is by interrupting this darkness. You could attempt to use supplemental lighting outdoors to cut into these dark hours but if you’re using just the sun, you won’t be able to prevent it from flowering.

Autos sidestep this in a way, but not beneficial to your purposes. They have an internal clock and go from seed to harvest on a timeline. You can’t prevent this as far as I know, and any attempt to would wind up killing it eventually.

The second issue I can see occurring is weather. If the ground freezes where you are this will kill the plants roots and plant tissues. Ice crystals form inside the cell walls and rip the structures apart. If your plant never flowered, you could try to revive it, but I suspect this will be very difficult due to the overwhelming physical damage.

Now, one of the reasons cannabis plants are considered annuals is by design they germinate, flower, set seed, and die all in one season. They use every last bit of their stored resources to flower/reproduce. This causes the plant to essentially run out of gas, it’s immune system drops, and it becomes susceptible to all the stressors it normally has no issues with.

Some annuals do self sow which is what I was implying with establishing a field of males and females. Properly pollinated, a plant will definitely drop seeds at the end of its lifecycle and a new plant will rise up. This won’t be the same exact plant that was growing but it will be another cannabis plant.

Cannabis obviously has no problems growing in the wild.. If it did, we never would’ve found it. However, to maintain the same exact plant for years requires a degree of human intervention. I could see a way you could theoretically achieve this but the resources and time may wind up making it unrealistic. You would likely be better off trying to establish self sowing fields with a bit of planning so you could have sections that self sow and others that produce mainly buds.

It’s a very interesting concept regardless.

I want to amend my statement slightly.. after reading @cbdhemp808 response to something similar.. In order to stop flowering outdoors you would want “night interruption lighting” not “supplemental lighting”. Supplemental is photosynthetic light levels.. night interruption is just enough low light to break the darkness.

This plant surprisingly is last years and has been outside its currently just past halfway through winter and still cruising along 🤣 it surprised me it hasn't moulded and died

So eli5, why is it not possible to do this outside when we are attempting to verbatim copy the environment inside?
I do not know who or what "eli5" is but the rest of the sentence can be explained. We are using a different environment for inside growing that actually does not exist outdoors.

We attempt to maintain the best temperatures, lengths of light and dark, water when the soil & plant needs the moisture just for starters.

It sounds like what you are doing inside is the typical "revegetate" that some growers attempt. They harvest the buds, increase the length of light to match early or mid summer hours and maintain a proper moisture in the soil. If all goes right the plant will start to grow just like it did before the flowering stage started. But sometimes, maybe often, it does not go right and the plant never recovers.

The plant does not make it through until the next season unless the outdoor conditions are optimal. The soil cannot get cold for an extended period. The root system and the stem might be intact but they do not survive the "winter" period.

The fruit trees and shrubs are almost always "perennial" while Cannabis in an "annual". Annual plants do their entire life span in one growing season.

A perennial will go through a period of being dormant during the "winter" and then resume growing the next spring. It can often take several years before these plants start to flower and develop fruit. Most perennials will last for years, going through a winter-time dormant period and coming back spring after spring. These same trees and shrubs might not show flowers or develop fruits the following year if for some reason they do not go through the dormant period.

Then there are the "biennial" plants (not to be confused with "biannual"). These are plants that require two years to go through their growing stage in the first year, go dormant over the winter, and then the following spring they will grow leaves for several weeks an then start to flower and develop seeds.

Because the plant has not evolved to survive being frozen for more than a few hours nor being able to survive several weeks to as long as a couple of months of short daylight hours. Closer to the equator it is possible that the weather is mild enough for the plant but they just have not evolved to take advantage of the conditions.

there is a smorgasbord of new strains coming out each day, so if anyone knows of something that would fit this criteria please fill me in.
Most consider a "strain" to be a variety of plant that is known for its taste, smell or effect. Each specie of plant can have one or more strains.

What you want is a new specie related to Cannabis. It took a million or more years of random mutations to get Cannabis to evolve till we have what we currently have. Humans could speed that up and maybe pull it off in several centuries by cross breeding for desired traits before finding a stable cultivar to match what you are looking for. Or, maybe we can do it in a couple of years of continuous genetic manipulation.

This plant surprisingly is last years and has been outside its currently just past halfway through winter and still cruising along 🤣 it surprised me it hasn't moulded and died
this is pretty much what i have been doing inside.
i come to crop and remove the main colas, leaving the smaller branches to carry on growing, then once fully trimmed i will reveg.

this is basically what i was getting at, in my question, would i be able to cut it back and have the root system survive the year for it to pick up again in spring...

effectively doing a supercrop spread over multiple years vs 6 yields in 18months using reveg.

thanks for sharing this...
are you aware of the strain?
it seems rather hardy.

I do not know who or what "eli5" is but the rest of the sentence can be explained. We are using a different environment for inside growing that actually does not exist outdoors.

We attempt to maintain the best temperatures, lengths of light and dark, water when the soil & plant needs the moisture just for starters.

It sounds like what you are doing inside is the typical "revegetate" that some growers attempt. They harvest the buds, increase the length of light to match early or mid summer hours and maintain a proper moisture in the soil. If all goes right the plant will start to grow just like it did before the flowering stage started. But sometimes, maybe often, it does not go right and the plant never recovers.

The plant does not make it through until the next season unless the outdoor conditions are optimal. The soil cannot get cold for an extended period. The root system and the stem might be intact but they do not survive the "winter" period.

The fruit trees and shrubs are almost always "perennial" while Cannabis in an "annual". Annual plants do their entire life span in one growing season.

A perennial will go through a period of being dormant during the "winter" and then resume growing the next spring. It can often take several years before these plants start to flower and develop fruit. Most perennials will last for years, going through a winter-time dormant period and coming back spring after spring. These same trees and shrubs might not show flowers or develop fruits the following year if for some reason they do not go through the dormant period.

Then there are the "biennial" plants (not to be confused with "biannual"). These are plants that require two years to go through their growing stage in the first year, go dormant over the winter, and then the following spring they will grow leaves for several weeks an then start to flower and develop seeds.

Because the plant has not evolved to survive being frozen for more than a few hours nor being able to survive several weeks to as long as a couple of months of short daylight hours. Closer to the equator it is possible that the weather is mild enough for the plant but they just have not evolved to take advantage of the conditions.

Most consider a "strain" to be a variety of plant that is known for its taste, smell or effect. Each specie of plant can have one or more strains.

What you want is a new specie related to Cannabis. It took a million or more years of random mutations to get Cannabis to evolve till we have what we currently have. Humans could speed that up and maybe pull it off in several centuries by cross breeding for desired traits before finding a stable cultivar to match what you are looking for. Or, maybe we can do it in a couple of years of continuous genetic manipulation.
eli5 is EXPLAIN LIKE IM 5. basically please break it down like im a full blown retard...

"The plant does not make it through until the next season unless the outdoor conditions are optimal. The soil cannot get cold for an extended period. The root system and the stem might be intact but they do not survive the "winter" period."

probably because people are attached to the way they were taught the world was, and due to that attachment they feel like they are in a position to dictate to others what to think and what boxes to trap themselves in. but everyone thought running a mile in 6 mins would cause an explosion in the heart.
then one person did it, and lived.
within 6 months 15 others had achieved it.

sometimes you have to be first laughed at, to be second lauded at.

thanks for the reply man.
you seem to get what im driving at.

i discovered something called forever buds, it non stop yields, cut it and it grows back.
i dont think this is perrenial, so may not fit perfectly for my plans but from what i can understand when it comes to cloning, if i used this as a base plant and bred it with say duckfoot or frisian duck which grows very well in rubbish weather, do you think i could create some cold set up and gradually from multiple breedings create a frost resistant perennial cannabis plant?

One way to get a perennial or multi-year harvest is to re-veg after you cut off the buds.
This process is utilized by hippies in California mountains, south american hills and middle east. also by some indoor growers like myself as you don’t need to buy new seeds.
but here in the uk i doubt that would work.

In previous years, cannabis enthusiasts have tried to cross-breed cannabis species with Hops and other Cannabaceae family species but those crosses were not successful!

I have also read that growers have tried to graft cannabis branches on Hops plants and the other way around but that also did not work.

but it does work with potatoes and tomatoes

No doubt.. my first two journals are bagseed. To be fair, they were purchased genetics that hermed on my MIL. I grabbed the seeds out of the tray after trimming. They produced amazing cannabis, even better than the original plants lol.

Ok, I think I get what you’re saying. Yes you could theoretically keep a plant forever. This is what lots of people do. They find a plant they like and keep it in Veg. They take clones from that vegging plant and flower those clones out while leaving the mother plant eternally in Veg. Clackamas coots has been flowering the same plant through clones for over 20 years. He keeps it indoors under low light so it’s not constantly growing massive but is enough to keep it going to take clones from.

There are a few issues you have to account for doing this outdoors. First is light/darkness. Photoperiods begin flowering once they have a certain amount of darkness. Somewhere around 12 hours. Once the plant senses the seasons changing and the longer darkness it will automatically go into flower. The only way to prevent this is by interrupting this darkness. You could attempt to use supplemental lighting outdoors to cut into these dark hours but if you’re using just the sun, you won’t be able to prevent it from flowering.

Autos sidestep this in a way, but not beneficial to your purposes. They have an internal clock and go from seed to harvest on a timeline. You can’t prevent this as far as I know, and any attempt to would wind up killing it eventually.

The second issue I can see occurring is weather. If the ground freezes where you are this will kill the plants roots and plant tissues. Ice crystals form inside the cell walls and rip the structures apart. If your plant never flowered, you could try to revive it, but I suspect this will be very difficult due to the overwhelming physical damage.

Now, one of the reasons cannabis plants are considered annuals is by design they germinate, flower, set seed, and die all in one season. They use every last bit of their stored resources to flower/reproduce. This causes the plant to essentially run out of gas, it’s immune system drops, and it becomes susceptible to all the stressors it normally has no issues with.

Some annuals do self sow which is what I was implying with establishing a field of males and females. Properly pollinated, a plant will definitely drop seeds at the end of its lifecycle and a new plant will rise up. This won’t be the same exact plant that was growing but it will be another cannabis plant.

Cannabis obviously has no problems growing in the wild.. If it did, we never would’ve found it. However, to maintain the same exact plant for years requires a degree of human intervention. I could see a way you could theoretically achieve this but the resources and time may wind up making it unrealistic. You would likely be better off trying to establish self sowing fields with a bit of planning so you could have sections that self sow and others that produce mainly buds.

It’s a very interesting concept regardless.
do you know much about "forever buds"?

this is the kind of thing that im trying to get towards, however this is a veg once, flower consistently deal, not veg, bloom, crop, hibernate, repeat.

ive only been growing 15 years, my father had a house full of weed my entire life. i loved playing in the grow rooms and learning about it.

but ive noticed that for some reason we seem to be a single use culture, everything is used, binned and repurchased.
this seems to be following over into the natural world too.
plants are only worth what we can sell them for.

but i suspect that the only reason cannabis is classified as a single hitter, as in one crop and bin is because we was taught that way and when we crop we cut the main stem.

has anyone tried to cut just the tips/buds off and leave the 80% in tact to see what happens?
or just to leave the plant in tact as a test run?

from what i can discern, any plant no matter how strong will die if you cut it all the way to the bottom of the main stem.
but if you have a tree sized cannabis plant that has only has buds removed, all branches remaining, and 200ft of root ball, are you saying that its physically impossible to use this plant the following season?

sorry to be repetitive. im trying to suss this out.
thanks

i actually just found a perennial cannabis plant...

id love to hear your thoughts on this.

do you mean like this one?

Come Fall, just harvest your buds as normal, leaving at least 1/2″ of its stalk behind and then let the frost and winter do whatever it does. Come Spring, your Never Dies Cannabis Plants will be growing with vigor. Just harvest again in the Fall, leave a bit of stem behind again and repeat. This is the last cannabis plant you’ll ever need to plant. It’s the cannabis plant that will out live you. Even if your just 18 years old today.

this is pretty much what i have been doing inside.
i come to crop and remove the main colas, leaving the smaller branches to carry on growing, then once fully trimmed i will reveg.

this is basically what i was getting at, in my question, would i be able to cut it back and have the root system survive the year for it to pick up again in spring...

effectively doing a supercrop spread over multiple years vs 6 yields in 18months using reveg.

thanks for sharing this...
are you aware of the strain?
it seems rather hardy.
Unfortunately I have no idea on the strain it was in my jar of mixed seeds .
Im really surprised it has survived they would usually mould up

do you mean like this one?
Maybe it is me but that is not what you are looking for even if it was real. There is no difference between the plant mentioned in the link and what you are doing with your re-vegetating of an already harvested plant. The review indicates that the plant has to be kept in a greenhouse over the winter and it will start to leaf out the next spring when the days get longer and warmer. And, the whole thing reads like there is just one Forever Cannabis plant in the greenhouse, actually there seems to be just one in the whole world.

They claim it is genetically modified for this trait and not the result of careful seed breeding processes. But they do have seeds for $100,000.00 each. However, if a customer buys some of their other seeds they might send along 5 free Never-Dies-Cannabis seeds just for placing an order.

Read up on the Freakshow plant, how it was bred, its lineage, and especially how the other sources of information on news related to Marijuana growing discussed it. If the "Forever Cannabis" was real then the news of the plant would have been picked up by other news sources dealing with growing, seed breeding, etc.

Since some of the first comments on the Forever Cannabis showed up on the web several years ago in April it is an "April's Fools Day" thing rather than something legit.

Yeah. I stumbled upon that a few years ago.
It's either an april fools or someone hoping people will spend a ridiculous amount of money lol.
They had some others, like a plant that can flower in the shade...

Also re: grafting cannabis onto another plant... Researcher discovered you could use a type of tobacco plant as the middle section and basically graft together a huge variety of plants you normally couldn't. Very neat. I think they grafted a tomato plant to dandelion as a demo.

Maybe it is me but that is not what you are looking for even if it was real. There is no difference between the plant mentioned in the link and what you are doing with your re-vegetating of an already harvested plant. The review indicates that the plant has to be kept in a greenhouse over the winter and it will start to leaf out the next spring when the days get longer and warmer. And, the whole thing reads like there is just one Forever Cannabis plant in the greenhouse, actually there seems to be just one in the whole world.

They claim it is genetically modified for this trait and not the result of careful seed breeding processes. But they do have seeds for $100,000.00 each. However, if a customer buys some of their other seeds they might send along 5 free Never-Dies-Cannabis seeds just for placing an order.

Read up on the Freakshow plant, how it was bred, its lineage, and especially how the other sources of information on news related to Marijuana growing discussed it. If the "Forever Cannabis" was real then the news of the plant would have been picked up by other news sources dealing with growing, seed breeding, etc.

Since some of the first comments on the Forever Cannabis showed up on the web several years ago in April it is an "April's Fools Day" thing rather than something legit

this is exactly why i came here, you guys know what's going on.
even after hundreds of grows i still have new things that i can learn about this amazing plant.
its a real shame that i cant get this to work outside but that's geography and unfortunately, i cant change the weather here.

so thats a pretty good april fools, i wont lie.

thanks for letting me know before i attempted to ruin my life with an excessively overpriced cannabis seed.

Back
Top Bottom