Love2grow28 DWC Recirculating Greenhouse Cheese Grow Journal - 2018

Goodmorning Love2Grow28!

Sorry it's been a while but I've been a bit busy. I see that your water temp is 23C, just curious if you're running any enzyme or anything to combat root rot?

I'm using liquid silicone not sure if that helps with root rot is that temp to high?Thought that was ok, I'm running a radiator so can always turn it down it normally runs about 20.1c

I'm using liquid silicone not sure if that helps with root rot is that temp to high?Thought that was ok, I'm running a radiator so can always turn it down it normally runs about 20.1c
20.1c is perfect. Still you should invest in some sort of enzyme cleaner or else you will have slime on lines and buckets and potentially on your roots. I use z7 2 part cleaner, no slime yet after 2 weeks of bucket running. Even when my aquarium heater went out of whack and clouded my water up, z7 kept the lines clean and probably saved me from root rot.

Similar products are sensizym, hydroguard(bacillus inoculate "Bennie's") etc.

Liquid silicone is good for roots but won't keep the water clean. Id also say 580ppm is high for a seedling be careful

20.1c is perfect. Still you should invest in some sort of enzyme cleaner or else you will have slime on lines and buckets and potentially on your roots. I use z7 2 part cleaner, no slime yet after 2 weeks of bucket running. Even when my aquarium heater went out of whack and clouded my water up, z7 kept the lines clean and probably saved me from root rot.

Similar products are sensizym, hydroguard(bacillus inoculate "Bennie's") etc.

Liquid silicone is good for roots but won't keep the water clean. Id also say 580ppm is high for a seedling be careful

Now you mention it and it was bugging my mind, when I changed out half of the res the pump tube was slimey as anything, was deffo a cause for concern i have a brand new bottle of liquid oxygen it is used a cleaner would this help? Thanks guys peace ✌️

Now you mention it and it was bugging my mind, when I changed out half of the res the pump tube was slimey as anything, was deffo a cause for concern i have a brand new bottle of liquid oxygen it is used a cleaner would this help? Thanks guys peace ✌️

I just put it down to being the nutrients but I take it should be like that I think this LO with help if I start using it.

Important question who thinks I should pull the nutes and use plain water? Just a thought but they do seems rather happy well one looks extremely happy the other happy but not dancing in light like baby number 1 any options appreciated thanks in advance. Peace ✌️

The LO will work but it's only putting a bandage on the issue and you will likely have to use a lot. Same thing as hydrogen peroxide. I mean, it is hydrogen peroxide.

And I think over 300ppm is high at this stage. Go 175ppm nutes to be safe. Test PPM in a few hours to see if it's rising or falling. Adjust from there.

The LO will work but it's only putting a bandage on the issue and you will likely have to use a lot. Same thing as hydrogen peroxide. I mean, it is hydrogen peroxide.

And I think over 300ppm is high at this stage. Go 175ppm nutes to be safe. Test PPM in a few hours to see if it's rising or falling. Adjust from there.

Thanks for the insight much appreciated, what would you recommend using other than LO?

any suggestions will be appreciated,

and most deffo going to lower on nutes just as only had a little bottle didn't want to just drain it as is fresh but will dump it into fresh ph water at temp and mix to dilute got it sussed now haha, get to it in morning sure they will be just fine they looked happy, peace ✌️

I'd redo the nutes down to 350-400 not including your base water ppm. The LO looks like it will work nicely

My base water from tap doesn't even read on EC meter very clean I guess so live the sea soft water area, so that helps my fresh ph water does read so easier to control EC bonus I guess kudos to the local council.

And yeah going to lower it to 175 as everyone agree would be right yourself including when you realise there babies,

Peace ✌️

Hi fellow stoners and growers alike,

Could someone call me a chiropractor .-⚕️, back is F****D .,

Right I took some pics before hand here they are,

19d4f184d0367ef9b0a9038e91e11b29.jpg
438f6e08096e00cb74711cb484ef7d44.jpg
cc07b35df44da0a4f0d8faca8c09d3a2.jpg
8e19ed9c0dc071cd172ef08102809d47.jpg
b38584e1db28a166207fee8a0564349a.jpg
115d68c433046ec171ae339d4a9e77e4.jpg
d20d44243c53c1958eb03125e9092635.jpg
5553562cd5230393f2c46d21b2da6d03.jpg

I drained the res and give it a little wipe down nothing major quick clean, I had my water left over night and heated, I dilated it down to 0.4 EC 200 ppm as this is as low as my wand goes, did make it just so wand wouldn't light up then when it mix with the little bits in bottom that I can't drain it reads just on 0.4 but will top up with plain ph water but I'm sure 200 should be ok compared to what they where on lol,

So I'm running around 5.8 to 6.1 ph and temps I'm going to try and keep between 18 and 20, I also flush the Rockwool with Lower nutes they liked that could tell straight away, I added liquid oxygen 1ml per litre see how that holds out, turned radiator off as water temp was 24.8 I was like ., so hopefully we battled that problem just hoping light keeps room at a nice temp, may switch my light to 18/6 instead of 24/0 any recommendations,, and took some more pics after doubt there any different to once above but got some close ups, we have new growth looking good, hoping the pick up and get happier as some look a little off, there doing great but some leaf tips are clawing down,

b25758ddf0bb1dc04d9d8301c72a770f.jpg
ba40aed38af7d21bcf6e20a740473716.jpg
25354703bd20100924f314127de6cdb2.jpg
33ab7ed442bcc63e9f14d48132393b2c.jpg

Peace my homies ✌️hope you enjoy this grow learning a lot about hydro and i deffo need a bigger space next time I can't deal with all the bending down merlarky it's killing me off to blaze up ✌️

Hi guys I've had a mental day trying to find a ph meter ordered online have to wait till tomorrow,

I checked one them today pics to follow, I checked the ph and it was way high, I added a drop of bit maybe a bit to much as it flew out this time I tested again was still rising stoned I kept adding ph down so stupid I know was diluted, but now I have now idea if my ph is 1 or 8 or what, I'm now panicking, I added a good splash of Liquid silicone to raise the ph and just hoping for the best really till tomorrow I can fix this mess avoid cheap EBAY CRAP!! Haha peace ✌️

Thoughts please guy could they die? Surely not will have it sorted but tomorrow thanks guys

That's the best thing about Hydro. If you're struggling to buffer the ph, you can always dump and start over. Sometimes these pens can go out of calibration but if you mix nutes first, wait ten mins and test ph. Add buffer and wait a minute or two and check again. It doesn't always adjust quickly or fully at first. 200 is a good place to be right now. And I would definitely go 18/6 if heat is becoming an issue. You want there to be a difference in night temps as well, it actually is one of the determining factors ,aside from light distance and genetics, of inter-nodal distance.

That's the best thing about Hydro. If you're struggling to buffer the ph, you can always dump and start over. Sometimes these pens can go out of calibration but if you mix nutes first, wait ten mins and test ph. Add buffer and wait a minute or two and check again. It doesn't always adjust quickly or fully at first. 200 is a good place to be right now. And I would definitely go 18/6 if heat is becoming an issue. You want there to be a difference in night temps as well, it actually is one of the determining factors ,aside from light distance and genetics, of inter-nodal distance.

Hi growcy I'm with you on that solution had been dumped already and they have been left to dry out as I'm going to lower the water level to encourage roots to grow down, and I'm just using pretty much just ph water was some weak nutes in bottom about 4 litres doesn't read on meter I think I will using base nutes to about 200ppm then fill back up the pots as I was not happy about the current situation every I do has to be perfect I check check check and check again, some call it ocd haha I call it being perfect haha .,

There doing good no nute burn not dead and lush green and growth everyday just not as much as it should be this is my reason for fresh fill up there is still some of the water a small amount I can't pump out this shouldn't be to much of a concern I hope laters guys.

Hey peeps i have dropped the water level and the nutes are flashing 200 - 300, probs to just use plain water starting tomorrow as one or 2 is the roots slightly off coloured, and add a touch of root stim get them roots popping,

How ever certain things where bugging me Rockwool was 2 wet and to high in the pebbles, so I have lowered all the cubes further down to my and directed the roots toward the bottom, I changed light schedule to 18/6 will be on during night as temp will drop dramatically, going to try let the Rockwool dry out a bit but now there Lower probs water themselves,

b25196c51d168ed70b9cdd507af90f0c.jpg
8c9cbefbfe56a60daad121d19de08198.jpg
6374b4b88e064e5905e30d0ca715ea1e.jpg
873e1e4b01db3a974e2234a2db456337.jpg
f777b020500d63fe291150c2b38b5e03.jpg
f333614a22814b9f879f3c83a5d407af.jpg
bb8a7d910158f9785d033a8f2197a304.jpg
a68e4f1903a837d760eb391ea5330b68.jpg
a2a27337c7ef38518cab05c9555f01a5.jpg
1fbff59e42c2ca49e518d3543facdd47.jpg
ecd6b8e1410538e952a90a55b4eb39c1.jpg

Hope you guys are still following strong, should all begin to kick off soon, I'm looking forward to it let's do thisssssss peace ✌️, got some S5 haze to blaze so about to get baked.

hey L2G28, loving the grow bro!

i find that if you put your rockwool approx halfway down into the net pot, and then lower your water level so it is not touching the bottom of the net pot, but is right below it, then the rockwool doesn't get too saturated. The bubbling action will splash tiny droplets of water into the hydroton and onto the roots that are coming out of the rockwool...i find it's all about the bubbling splashing action.

I made a fake 'aero cloner' using a small DWC setup in a tupperware container. The rockwool or rapid starter plugs sit 2-3 inches above the water, but are kept wet because they are constantly being splashed by little bubbles from the airstone. I use this to root my plants now and then I put them into the net pots when the roots are 5-6" long....i feed the roots through the bottom of the net pot and that way I always have my res water 2-3 inches below the net pot to start....been using this method for over a year now with 100% success so far, touch wood!

I would also highly recommend a rooting product called K-L-N by Dyna-Grow. It is fucking awesome. Put some in your res, top feed with a little bit, and wowzers. It was a game changer for me. Even if I have a plant that's 2-3 weeks old and isn't growing big roots fast enough, I'll hit it with some K-L-N and boom.

Not trying to be a know it all, just been doing DWC for a while, and my germinating and cloning game is strong now lol

hey L2G28, loving the grow bro!

i find that if you put your rockwool approx halfway down into the net pot, and then lower your water level so it is not touching the bottom of the net pot, but is right below it, then the rockwool doesn't get too saturated. The bubbling action will splash tiny droplets of water into the hydroton and onto the roots that are coming out of the rockwool...i find it's all about the bubbling splashing action.

I made a fake 'aero cloner' using a small DWC setup in a tupperware container. The rockwool or rapid starter plugs sit 2-3 inches above the water, but are kept wet because they are constantly being splashed by little bubbles from the airstone. I use this to root my plants now and then I put them into the net pots when the roots are 5-6" long....i feed the roots through the bottom of the net pot and that way I always have my res water 2-3 inches below the net pot to start....been using this method for over a year now with 100% success so far, touch wood!

I would also highly recommend a rooting product called K-L-N by Dyna-Grow. It is fucking awesome. Put some in your res, top feed with a little bit, and wowzers. It was a game changer for me. Even if I have a plant that's 2-3 weeks old and isn't growing big roots fast enough, I'll hit it with some K-L-N and boom.

Not trying to be a know it all, just been doing DWC for a while, and my germinating and cloning game is strong now lol

Thanks dude means a lot man I only post for your guys, literally cut of all my fiends #fakesandsnakes bro, and I just come on here to share my one and only passion cannabis,

It truly is a gift from god, anyway your bang on there I also have a solid germ planted 4 seeds got 4 plants,

I also had to put them high as where tiny but today i have emptied pebbles and put them inch from bottom roots almost touching bottom of pot and is 1 inch above pot plan on lowering the tomorrow, as can't do it today,

I have snoop premium radical roots going to use plain water with liquid oxygen and radical roots just below net pot start tomorrow, there getting there first sleep . as we speak bro, so they should enjoy that hopefully,

I'm want to see them get happier, but I am sill just at very start not even day one yet when roots emerge and hit water, I will say day one from them need another set of leaves first what you reckon?, and nice looking plants dude, can't get a tote big enough where I am so got this system it's good little system, how do you think mine look check the roots, could do with some advise on them as soil grower previously. Peace bro and thanks ✌️

day 1 for me is when i get the germinated seeding out of the wet paper towel and into a rockwool cube.

your rdwc system is wicked, mate. you're gonna to grow some dank ass weed in that system. i'm still using 5gal buckets and 10gal trash cans, they don't sell rdwc systems where i live. i'm in the middle of making my own rdwc with the 10gal trash cans at the moment.

i can't really get a good look at the roots as your pics are a little out of focus. they look a little stringy and discoloured but it is hard to tell. can you take some better pics of the roots when they start growing through the bottom of the net pot plz? and don't keep taking them out of the hydroton, you're stressing them out and not doing the roots any favours.:thumb:

Did you remember to wash and soak the hydroton...just asking as I know you are a soil guy.

My advice on root care is two part:
Rooting:- i was lucky enough to stumble across the dyna-grow KLN product and it is the best product i will ever buy. It is not a nutrient, it is a rooting hormone, so you can use it in combination with the Snoop nutrient or the Plant Start nutrient you already have. I use the KLN with GH Rapid Rooter rooting nutrient or a heavily diluted regular hydroponic nute. buy a small 8oz bottle (8 gbp, 12 usd), it will last you a year. please look into it, at least. that is my advice as an experienced DWC grower.

Maintenance:- You can either go the beneficial bactaria route, or the sterile route. I use Hydroguard beneficial bacteria and Hygrozyme enzymes (mainly Hydroguard) to maintain my roots, but this means that I also have to make sure I don't add things to my res that will kill my bennies. And this means that I have to make sure i maintain a nice clean res, as i don't want any bad bacteria building up.
If you want to go the sterile route you need to use hydrogen peroxide, or products like UC Roots or Res Clear to kill ALL bacteria in your res, good and bad.

Back
Top Bottom