Low Dough's "Project Dollar Store" Cloner

LowDoughGrow

Many of us have an eye for off-label uses of products. What one person sees as a useless item, may look like a miracle product to another. Sometime we read things in these forums that seem obvious to us but not everyone has the Macgyver gene inside them. For this reason it is important for us to share in fine detail all things we learn as growers.

For those of you who have a hard time figuring out basic aspect of growing ingenuity, I suggest reading threads by Roseman. He is a super anal step by step writer who has some grow experience under his belt. Whats more is that Roseman Painstakingly documents every single step with illistration to help those who are not the Macgyver type. That Said, I would like to share my first how-to on bulding a cloning system made from items I found in the Dollar General Store or whichever dollar store near you that has actuall items fore one dollar. Some dollar stores sell items for more than a buck, but a true dollar store sells only one dollar priced items. If iyour on a super tight budget, you need to find one of these stores near you and visit it regularly as the stock changes daily.

Being a Bubble-head type grower, I needed to build a bubble cloner because I know bubbles are the key to fast propogation of clones. This method will produce near 100% success at a very accellerated rate with no misting and no humidity dome.
Here are the items we will need to construct a four pod bubble cloning machine for about $3.00

1 Square generic tupperware 1 qt container ($1)

mmsquares.jpg

1 box of Foam Beads ($1)

SWBE1130_qch.jpg

1 Airstone ($1) any pet shop, buy cheap ones for the cloner and buy a few.

Now take some of the larger square or round beads from the bucket of beads and make slit from the edge of the bead to the center hole. This will allow you to open the bead and slip in the clone or cutting. You are basically making you own neopren insert which are available at the hydro shop, but we just bought a thousand for a buck!

next, cut four holes in the lid of the 1 qt container. the holes you cut should be the same exact shape of the chosen bead but about 10-20% smaller.

Once you cut holes your ready to insert your beads in them to make sure they fit snug without collapsing the center hole.

Next make a 1/4 inch hole in the side of the container near the top about a half inch down from rim. This is wher your 1/4 inch air tubing enters the container. Install the hose and attach the air stone and a weight to hold it down inside the container. At the other end, attach to your air supply. If you dont have an extra pump, just tee in to an existing and install a 1/4" regulator valve ($1 at home depot)

Fill container 3/4 full, plug in air and test for leaks and bubble dispertion etc.

Add four nice clones to your 4 pods and place in the veg room.

Wait 4-7 days and you will have amazing results. You can make a bunch of these and daisy chain them together with one air pump. I plan to have 2 of these units running constantly.

Here is the completed cloner.

090210231235.jpg

More "Project Dollar Store" tips to come.
Thanks - LoDo

Back
Top Bottom