Males

Uncle Buzz

420 Member
I am planning on isolating my male plants for CBD and seed harvest. I have acquired some seeds that came from Jamaica 9 years ago. I sprouted several of them and they are healthy seedlings. I also have several unknown strains from a stash of who knows what kind of seeds? I am wondering if I store different male strains in the same greenhouse will they cross pollinate?
Thank you,
Uncle Buzz

As @013 said, males don't cross pollinate, but if they all start letting go with pollen it will be difficult to isolate what pollen you're pollinating with, since marijuana is a wind pollinated plant (as opposed to bees or bugs) and the pollen floats in the air. That said, if you use a Q-tip and collect the pollen from the individual male flowers for pollenating, you will be more likely to get what you want, but there could still be stray pollen floating around from the other males.

Phytoplankton is correct.

Genetically male cannabis plants are incapable of fertilizing other male cannabis plants. Male plants from different sources will contaminate the local environment with undesirable sources of cannabis pollen including the surfaces of the desirable male cannabis plants and most commonly result on contaminated source cannabis pollen.

There are published reports of pollen from Cretaceous Period, saved in drilled ice core samples of glaciers or in the Canadian Arctic which is believe to be viable. Pollen does not denature nearly as quickly as commonly thought.

Thank you Everybody,
Looks like I need a seed greenhouse and a pollinating greenhouse to pull this off and not effect my outdoor crop of ladies. Had incredible success last year with all your input I hope do even better this year, as well as start building a seed bank and try to create a strain of my own.
Uncle Buzz

I am planning on isolating my male plants for CBD and seed harvest. I have acquired some seeds that came from Jamaica 9 years ago. I sprouted several of them and they are healthy seedlings. I also have several unknown strains from a stash of who knows what kind of seeds? I am wondering if I store different male strains in the same greenhouse will they cross pollinate?
Thank you,
Uncle Buzz
Sprouts are doing well. I have one seedling that has developed some nodules. Does anybody know what these are?

unnamed.jpg

what's your light schedule uncle buzz ? looks kind of small to be blooming . use some folded shiny paper to catch the pollen ,in the morning ( soon after lights on ) ,scrape paper with razor blade remove any flowers or plant material . store in a vile with rice

Only indoors for first month they are going outside, the windows are in a corner window set up.(East and South facing) So they have natural light all day as well. Already started to harden them. We are at 7000 ft so its still a bit cold at night, We can generally go through October but have to hustle the Girls in on the real cold nights. ( no lights).

Only indoors for first month they are going outside, the windows are in a corner window set up.(East and South facing) So they have natural light all day as well. Already started to harden them. We are at 7000 ft so its still a bit cold at night, We can generally go through October but have to hustle the Girls in on the real cold nights. ( no lights).
There is not enough light in early spring . you need to have extra light 18/6 light cycle for vegging & 12 /12 for flowering if any of the females started to flower they will have to revert back to veg cycle ( which will stunt them )

I guess I forgot mention I do have grow lights on them for 12 hours (Sun Blaze 21), They also sit in the windows. This input is great and is helping me understand better what I am trying to do.
Thanks Very Much!
Uncle Buzz

A dark period around 12 hours will force photoperiod plants into flower. The windows are ok for "light" to prevent flowering but it is likely not enough for good growth. Are the 12 hours under the Sun Blaze 21 in addition to the window time or overlapping?

We all talk about the 12 vs 18 hours of sunlight, but the plant really cares more about the dark hours, at least as it relates to flowering schedules.

Back
Top Bottom