Marijuana Legalization #1 Issue at Obama's Change.gov

OpenYourEyes

Cannabis Issues Dominate Obama's "Open for Questions" Website

from https://www.nowpublic.com/:

President Elect Obama is known for reaching out beyond the beltway to take the pulse of the nation. His website, Change.gov offers all of us the chance to communicate our hopes, dreams, fears and needs. This is governance from the ground up, the way it was meant to be. A new program just instituted on the website, is one where citizens may pose specific questions, and others can vote on their importance, bringing significant questions to the top of the list.
In the short twenty four hours the "Open for Questions" segment of Obama's change.gov website actually stayed open, 7300 questions were posted, 10,000 people participated and 600,000 votes were cast for the most important issues on people's minds. Guess which question had the most votes?
"Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?"
Yes, it's true. With all of the incredible and difficult issues facing us today, the question above was the most prominent in people's minds. Questions two through six, in order of popularity, read:
"What will you do as President to restore the Constitutional protections that have been subverted by the Bush Administration and how will you ensure that our system of checks and balances is renewed?"
"What will you do to establish transparency and safeguards against waste with the rest of the Wall Street bailout money?"
"Will you lift the ban on Stem Cell research in your first 100 days in office?"
"What will you do to promote science and mathematics education to Elementary and Middle School students?"
"Will you appoint a Special Prosecutor - ideally Patrick Fitzgerald - to independently investigate the gravest crimes of the Bush Administration, including torture and warrantless wiretapping?"
I want you to get this. Constitutional protections, the Wall Street bailout, stem cell research, elementary and middle school education, and the investigation of torture and warrantless wiretapping by the Bush Administration played second fiddle to a demand for a change in marijuana laws. Not only that, the seventh of the top ten questions reads as follows:
"13 states have compassionate use programs for medial Marijuana, yet the federal gov't continues to prosecute sick and dying people. Isn't it time for the federal gov't to step out of the way and let doctors and families decide what is appropriate?"
trumping questions about our farming policies, use of mercenaries in our military, and "greening' the environment.
Then there's this one, just missing the top 10 by one slot:
"The US "War on Drugs" wastes billions every year tracking down and incarcerating non-violent users. What is your position on the legalization of marijuana? How do you feel about treating rather than imprisoning users of harder, addictive drugs?"
Question 12 was one about universal health care. Here is Question 13:
"How will you fix the current war on drugs in America? and will there be any chance of decriminalizing marijuana?"
Question 14 asks the president to preserve Net Neutrality. Here's question 15:
"What kind of progress can be expected on the decriminalization and legalization for medicinal purposes of marijuana and will you re-prioritize the "War On Drugs" to reflect the need for drug treatment instead of incarceration?"
Questions 16 and 17 reflect requests for solar energy investment, and banking accountability, and 18 reads:
"The U.S. has the world's highest incarceration rate, largely due to the War on Drugs. Our prisons are festering pits of rape, racism, and gang violence, and divert a lot of tax money to the corrupt prison industry. How can we fix this?"
This is followed by a demand to sever the relationship between the FDA and big pharma, and requests for more investment in high-speed passenger rails.

So, here's a quick tally. Two of the top ten, and six of the top twenty questions addressed our government's policies surrounding cannabis (recreational and medicinal) and the War on Drugs in general.
It doesn't end there. Following question 21 about tax incentives to home owners for installing energy efficiency measures we have:
"Would you consider the legalizing of growing hemp (not marijuana) for food, clothing and bio-fuel use?"
and
"Drug control policy in America is a mess, most specifically with regards to marijuana. Federal and state laws are in conflict all over the country. What do you plan to do about this? Will you allow the states to make their own determinations?"
After that folks asked about public transportation, gay marriage, sustainable farming practices, and abuse of executive power. Then we get to questions 28 and 29,
"What about the use of Hemp and finally legalizing marijuana for personal use?"
"If we did not have over 2 million people in jail, many of which on marijuana charges, we would save billions a year and keep families together. Will you commit to a comprehensive drug treatment plan that will help keep families together?"
These two queries just edged out a request to prevent bailout recipients from using the money for lobbying.
Apparently, the arrest of nearly 1,000,000 otherwise law abiding citizens each year for mere possession of cannabis, the relentless persecution of the sick and dying, and the continued incarceration of 1 out of every 100 adults, (and the imprisonment, jailing, probation or parole of 1 out of every 31 adults) is finally getting on peoples nerves,
Yes, these questions will not go away. Lawmakers around the country will have to suck it up and realize that, as Barney Frank put it: this is an area where the public is way ahead of the politicians. And those politicians will eventually have to address issues such as the ones brought up in questions 33 and 34
"What will you do to ensure that the government takes scientific research into account when making laws? Especially when it comes to questions about the legalization of marijuana and the use of medical marijuana."
and
"On the campaign trail, you said you would put an end to the federal raids on medical marijuana patients. Will you implement this policy within the first year of your term?"
Get my point? Are you listening?
To see all 7,300 questions in order of their importance to the voting public go to Open for Questions at Change.Gov.

Thank God. I knew Obama would be willing to end this prohibition that has hurt many and prevented thousands if not more to get the proper medication they have needed. I hope for all who need it and all who enjoy it that Obama and his new administration changes the view. This man has taken our country by storm and renewed our love for this country. No mater what your party affiliation is, you know he will change some things. Some for good and some for bad. Good luck to all and lets just pray this works out for all of us.

Very pretty, Obama has bigger issues to deal with for the time being other than pot. Someone will get to us some day. . . maybe. I don't want to come off as a downer, but Obama has the same boss, I'm curious to see what if anything he does. All we can do is watch and wait.

^^^^ agreeeeeeeeeed!

Very pretty, Obama has bigger issues to deal with for the time being other than pot. Someone will get to us some day. . . maybe. I don't want to come off as a downer, but Obama has the same boss, I'm curious to see what if anything he does. All we can do is watch and wait.
True, there are higher priorities.
However this is the first case where "legalize MMJ" is a higher presidential priority than "arrest pot dealers, growers and smokers."

If he was smart he would see that by dealing with the drug issue first, he would build up the economy that much faster and all the other issues would have the time and energy needed to deal with. If he does not, he will be hounded day and night to follow through on his promise. He will not get much rest till he deals with this issue.

I'm all for him dealing with this swiftly because it will set the tone to the entire world, including Canada.

I would feel save to say that Obama has a fair idea of what he majority of the public wants. I hope he hands it over. If all he did was call off the DEA guys on medical users, that would be a huge start in the right direction. You would then see many states pass med laws. He could do that almost immediately by sending them a memo. "Leave the Cancer patients alone"
Your's The Prez.

Then the next best thng is to do what Marc Emery suggests and overgrow the government and the world. I am going for my medical marijuana and grow card so it will be a moot point for me personally, but He has the guts to keep up the fight.

"You would not wonder if you used this herb yourself.
You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within.
Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger." Mithrandir

Nice quote choice Mr. Merickson

Mirthandir = Gandalf's name in Sindarin [Lord of the Rings]

if we all start thinking positive, we can win...
the law of attraction is always working...
have faith, it will happen, you will see...;)

That is true positive thinking can/will get allot done. Its just the way people are talking, like Obama actually runs the show, Obama is the new face for the next four years, same people pulling his strings. We will see what will change. You can only pump sunshine up peoples asses for so long. I truly HOPE he does something about it, the comment about it helping out the economy if it was dealt with first is true. but as someone who lives in the reality of the real world, I honestly don't see obama doing a damn thing about it, we have had the medical studies for long enough that pot is more than safe and has medical uses. The reality is, I still can't walk down the street to a dispensary or wal mart and grab an 8th. Its more profitable for the people in charge to keep it illegal and thats why it has stayed that way, I do believe. Am I wrong Rob?

The short answer is No

^^
Obama sure needed the help of special interests to get into office, but now he's there.

Generally, I think politicians will tend to adopt the position that gets them the most votes - or at least help them lose the least votes.

Obama's constituency has sent a pretty clear message to him about what matters, only a foolish poltician would ignore it.

I'm not a fan of Obama (for Libertarian reasons) but I'm sure he's no fool.

We'll all soon see

if people would stop thinking negative and wasting valuable time talking about why it won't happen and start flooding his administration from the ground up, on why Hemp and Cannabis should be legal, we could get there so much faster...

if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything and step aside so we can do our work.

There has never been an effective campaign to legalize marijuana. If your only trying to change the minds of politicians you will get nowhere, Norml needs to stop wasting my money and adopt a new strategy. Have you ever seen a positive marijuana commercial on TV?

I think a lot of progress has been made in the last 10 or so years.

I've been smokin since the mid-70s and even though enforcement was more lax back then, the laws were strict.

Now we've got 12 medical states (13 if you count Md's affirmative defense), some great low enforcement priorty laws, a bunch of decriminalized states, and a lot of momentum moving forward.

We've also got eight (8) more states looking at medical laws - most in the next session. [Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Idaho and Alabama]

Today alone New Jersey passed a medical bill out of committee (6 to 1) and the Gov said he'd sign it when it passed the legislature.

I hope it's cool to link to the current overview map, (mod please delete if this isn't ok). This kind of really shows the progress in an easy to visual way.

The future looks Dank Green to me:rollit:

medipot-states-2008.jpg

Well Obama did have some good Herb roots in Hawaii, admitting to using the fine Tropical Hawaiian herb while growing up on O'ahu. That aside, as a politician will he or his administration be bothered with any cannabis related issues? I think so. They will be addressed.

The feds aren't interested.
Its the states that matter on this issue. That is where the progress has been made and that is where it will be made in the future.

Put very well. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings I am being truthful though. Please forgive me for coming off so poorly earlier, I was trying to prove a point. Luckily I do believe I was able to do that. But again I came off poorly and that is my fault I shouldn't have done that. The truth still remains though, Obama MOST LIKELY (imo) will do absolutely NOTHING about mj, much like everyone in front of him. If he does something, fucking awesome, because if benefits me and all my other smoking buddies :ganjamon: . However I'm not going to let myself get caught up in all his hype and give everyone a bunch of false hope and set up another generation for disappointment (politicians are very good at delivering that). Since mj laws started cropping up we have made great strides, as stated above me. Hopefully all of our futures will be much safer and much danker. We can only hope for the best and vote vote vote.

The only other thing I really have to say is this. In a debate or any conversation, for instance pro pot vs anti pot. If your one of the people who is just going to sit back and say "if your not saying what I want to hear then shut up" That makes you just as bad as the other side that's saying "Yeah well I have the right to go to the bar and get a beer, but you can't go to a separate bar and have a joint". We will never be able to grow as a people unless we can truly listen and learn from both side, and go from there. If there is just one side, its bullshit. That's what the gov is doing to us now, and we certainly don't like that. We are receiving it don't give it back.

Oh to be young and naive again. Money gets them into office. If obama had raise 500million and Mcain has raised 700million it would be president elect mccain.

Welcome to the forum, it's great to have new members with passionate opinions.

On the brighter side. I think that this issue is not even on his radar and he isn't going to spend much money on it .... but neither did Bush.

I don't agree. I find it hard to imagine that Obama's people would take the time to put this site up, then not bother to tell him of the overwhelming pro-cannabis results.

Whether he'll do something about it or not, at this stage, is only a prediction.

I happen to retain the hope that he will, even if it's only a quiet instruction to halt the raids.

We'll all soon see.

Back
Top Bottom