Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

nice picture taken sknygenez2, I just love it. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hello gang!

Just a quick update on my 4x4 strawberry haze scrog under one 1200w Mars II.

IMAG096611.jpg
IMAG096311.jpg
IMAG096411.jpg

..and yes i know the screen is tilted, lol

Congrats on your harvest wizgrow. :cheer: Can I have a share :cheesygrinsmiley:
So yesterday I just harvested my first grow......learned a ton doing it and a HUGE amount of help from you guys.

This top is a bit larger than the typical but fully matured I'm guessing. 2 months veg then into a late scrog that I did NOT lollipop.....I will for sure next time though.......oh, I used CHEAP ASS Jacks too for nutes.
20150205_152207.jpg
20150205_170721.jpg

This tent ran 28watts per square foot of lighting.

My mars 2 tent has even better tops at 32 per square foot.

The reason for all my recent questions is I think I would be fine to draw another 550 watts of 12/12 but not sure if I should that to my existing tents or to a new 4x4 :)........ I just don't to waste too much time/money doing all this T&E when some one could just answer it for me :)

In fact.....both tents run much less wattage due to 11/13 - 9/15 schedules. I know my yields should go up with current lighting just from lessons learned etc........
...sure could use some helpfull advice here KJC, GT and others :)

Tapping from phone so sorry for mistakes!

Good for you timwhoa :thumb: I am sure there are many ppl here is interested. :circle-of-love:
I replaced the fans in mine with super quiet dynamic float type bearing pc fans, you cant even hear it run now, I have photos of this replacement operation if anyone is interested in seeing it

:thumb: I agree with you Hiker
First, grats on harvest :thumb:

KJC did a great first reply. Pretty much what I would have said :blalol:

1. I suspect we all calculate ROI a little different. I just did my calc. I'm at ~35W/sq ft. Seems to work fine for me. I would start there and then, after a couple harvest, add lights if needed.

2. Watts are the best we have to go on. PAR would be great but it's very hard to measure accurately. There is actually a fair amount of controversy and/or disputes about some PAR data. The most commonly used sensor has some flaws inherent to how it works that can make some lights give higher relative readings than another lamp, even though the second lamp produced more actual PAR. Like KJC said, there are a lot of wavelengths that are not detected.

You can use grams/watt as a way to compare different lights. Like you said, 1W from one light is not necessarily the same as 1W from another light. Let's assume we're talking LEDs only here, then comparing actual draw watts and the yield they produced can provide valuable information. Sure, there are lots of other variables, but with enough examples, we can see differences/trends. This IS a valid measure/calculation to make comparisons with.

My favorite measure is oz/sqft. Combined with above, I think the two #s give an excellent measure of yield that is very comparable to other grows.

3. Why sigh? It's is still a valid measure. Sure, you need to be aware of all the details that resulted in that number. Invariably, the calculation is flowering watts. While veg watts may matter for someone trying to write a business plan, it's never factored into this calculation. Here is why...

Let's say we have an 4' x 8' growing area (32 sqft) and we light it with 6 MH II 400's (~200W actual x 6 = ~1200W actual). If I get 1 oz/sqft (very easy to achieve), that's 32 oz or 896g which means we get 0.75 g/W. Notice I never mentioned how many plants? You can do this with 128 plants (sog), 6 (I run one plant per MH II 400), or 1 giant monster (scrog or training). BTW, this also works out to (1200W/32sqft) 37.5W/sqft. Just barely above the minimum KJC recommended.

There are many many ways to veg plants. Which is best really depends on your flower setup. So we really only compare the results of flowering. Once you decide how you will flower, that will dictate your veg area requirements.

I get your goal. I'm an analytical type person too. Use oz/sqft AND oz/W for your estimates. Keep in mind that it will take some time to dial in your space as well. I was able to get a great first harvest in my basement space, but it's only gotten better every harvest since. That's hard to predict and put into a business plan. :winkyface:

Good luck.

Hello guykhoury9, we sell our products on AliExpress too, but it is a different department. :circle-of-love: By the way, we stoped adding IR lights on our old model series since April 2014. So do not worry, it is our lights. :high-five: Just grow happy! :circle-of-love:
Hey guys ,

i ordered the mars hydro 300w (old) LED model from AliExpress , but one thing that has been keeping me worried is i don't see no IR bulbs ??

I sent an email to mars hydro asking them if the seller from AliExpress (Top LED Grow Light Co., LTD) is the same as the actual Mars-Hydro.com seller . Its been 2 weeks and i had no answer so service seems to be GREAT !

Here are some pictures i took . Hope i can get some help from you guys .

Thanks

Thank you Graytail. :thanks:
Yeah, that's not Mars-Hydro's current spectrum - the layout is obviously different.

old-model-100x3w-6_1_1_.png

Thanks Dennise, you reminded me about the sticker again, EB is a different department, but I will tell them again, Hope the misusage of the language will be corrected soon. :high-five:
IDK Gray... Look at the 4th pic and the little sticker on there says "scam" me for the best price or something like that and I corrected this with Sara on my last delivery and that has been a couple of months ago probably.... Mine said the exact thing and I thought it was probably something that should be corrected and I would have a hard time believing if someone was copying the lights they would copy the same error in the sticker.... I honestly don't know... I only have 1 old model and it is a all red spectrum for bloom so I don't know what the normal spectrum looks like on the old models....
guy.... It is Some early hour of the morning in China right now... Actually Sat. morning but I'm sure Sara or her assistant will be on here later tonight.... Usually around 8 pm eastern time... I wouldn't freak till I talked to Sara..... I can't answer to why they have not responded to your emails but she will respond to you here I'm sure.... She responds to every post......:circle-of-love:

Yes you are right, we do not have IR lights in our Old models for some time now. :circle-of-love:
and I don't think the old models have IRs... again I could be and probably am wrong but I don't think so....:circle-of-love:

:Namaste:
Thanks for your answers . I'll probably wait for Sara , this thing's been stressing me out ...
Here's a picture of my Mars Hydro 300w turned off (1st picture) , and the 300w Mars Hydro turned off , taken by a screen shot from the actual Mars Hydro website (2nd picture) .

Yes, already looks yummy, yummy to me. :cheesygrinsmiley:
IMAG096611.jpg
IMAG096311.jpg
IMAG096411.jpg

Looks like you're early in flower, keep training her and you should be trimming frosty LED buds in 8-10 weeks. :volcano-smiley:

Please do not worry, it is our light. :high-five::circle-of-love:
Sorry for spamming with pictures but im uploading to get some info on the item , be sure wether its fake or legit , and prevent users from ordering something that might be fake . Still not sure though .

Here are some pictures of the 3 papers i received in the package .

Last paper says "Power supply not included" eventhough it was .

Good evening KJC :circle-of-love:
Here is everything you should need to know to post full size photographs

Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

All of our reflector and mars II series uses 120mm fans, so the same size PC fans will be OK. :high-five:
Just curious what exact fans (brand/ model) did you use? Are they typical 120mm PC fans?

I just received the 1200w model today and the noise doesn't bother me, but I may swap them out. I'm not quite sure with the hanging of the unit.... Right now I've used two of the leads at each corner to a yo-yo, but I can see I'm going to need to change this up to get more clearance later on. Suggestions???

First, grats on harvest :thumb:

KJC did a great first reply. Pretty much what I would have said :blalol:

1. I suspect we all calculate ROI a little different. I just did my calc. I'm at ~35W/sq ft. Seems to work fine for me. I would start there and then, after a couple harvest, add lights if needed.

2. Watts are the best we have to go on. PAR would be great but it's very hard to measure accurately. There is actually a fair amount of controversy and/or disputes about some PAR data. The most commonly used sensor has some flaws inherent to how it works that can make some lights give higher relative readings than another lamp, even though the second lamp produced more actual PAR. Like KJC said, there are a lot of wavelengths that are not detected.

You can use grams/watt as a way to compare different lights. Like you said, 1W from one light is not necessarily the same as 1W from another light. Let's assume we're talking LEDs only here, then comparing actual draw watts and the yield they produced can provide valuable information. Sure, there are lots of other variables, but with enough examples, we can see differences/trends. This IS a valid measure/calculation to make comparisons with.

My favorite measure is oz/sqft. Combined with above, I think the two #s give an excellent measure of yield that is very comparable to other grows.

3. Why sigh? It's is still a valid measure. Sure, you need to be aware of all the details that resulted in that number. Invariably, the calculation is flowering watts. While veg watts may matter for someone trying to write a business plan, it's never factored into this calculation. Here is why...

Let's say we have an 4' x 8' growing area (32 sqft) and we light it with 6 MH II 400's (~200W actual x 6 = ~1200W actual). If I get 1 oz/sqft (very easy to achieve), that's 32 oz or 896g which means we get 0.75 g/W. Notice I never mentioned how many plants? You can do this with 128 plants (sog), 6 (I run one plant per MH II 400), or 1 giant monster (scrog or training). BTW, this also works out to (1200W/32sqft) 37.5W/sqft. Just barely above the minimum KJC recommended.

There are many many ways to veg plants. Which is best really depends on your flower setup. So we really only compare the results of flowering. Once you decide how you will flower, that will dictate your veg area requirements.

I get your goal. I'm an analytical type person too. Use oz/sqft AND oz/W for your estimates. Keep in mind that it will take some time to dial in your space as well. I was able to get a great first harvest in my basement space, but it's only gotten better every harvest since. That's hard to predict and put into a business plan. :winkyface:

Good luck.

Good stuff guys........

I'm going to take the biz development hat off for awhile and enjoy the ride..... these questions will still be there after a few more grows :)

KJC-HIKER-Greytail
Thanks a bunch,
WG

I was planning to, but some customers came to visit our company these days, so I cannot leave. :volcano-smiley: I am sure there will be a lot chances in the future that we can meet. :cheesygrinsmiley:
There is a bad biz decision - your the face of the company for most of us :(

Hopefully the next one :)

Just wondering is there a "Sara" strain? :cheesygrinsmiley:
Sure u can.....I know I will be in be in 3 weeks plus. :)

FYI that was "Bianca" strain. Good girl for me to learn on :)

Back
Top Bottom