Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

hello Doobzilla

no, 2X "new" old model 300W panels are not too much for that area. you have 7 square feet total and each of your 300W panel can cover 40cmX55cm (1.33'X1.8') or 2.5 square feet each. so in fact you are little short for full light power, but it is not bad for sure, and you will get good result for it. even if not full light power.

1 panel mars2 700W is better if you want full light power ... but 2X "new" old model panels is clearly not bad

Hello, and thanks for your input DarksidofMike, I was thinking having two smaller LEDs would work better than one larger LED but I like the idea of having the larger LED so I may look into an upgrade to a 700 watt very soon! Thanks Again..

thanks for this info Celt!

Welcome Canuck

Its hard to compare HPS to LED watt for watt. LED grow lights are designed to produce only the wavelengths used by plants therefore there is no wasted light.

Earlier today I came across a youtube video that compared the results of a 600 watt LED (draw watts) vs a 1000w HPS. The 2 produced more or less the same weight, within a few grams of one another, but the LED drew 400 less watts. (not to mention the heat difference)

But even more interesting was that they had the bud lab tested and the LED out preformed the HPS in both potency and terpenoid levels.

Something to consider more than just raw power

nice grow! what strains?

Just harvested off my mars2 1200 this evening. Just a little auto grow that spent the first 4 weeks under a 400 watt hps and second 4 weeks under the mars once I'd bought it

DSC_08596.JPG
DSC_08626.JPG
DSC_08635.JPG
DSC_08644.JPG
DSC_08673.JPG
DSC_08715.JPG
DSC_08728.JPG

:thanks:
hello Doobzilla

no, 2X "new" old model 300W panels are not too much for that area. you have 7 square feet total and each of your 300W panel can cover 40cmX55cm (1.33'X1.8') or 2.5 square feet each. so in fact you are little short for full light power, but it is not bad for sure, and you will get good result for it. even if not full light power.

1 panel mars2 700W is better if you want full light power ... but 2X "new" old model panels is clearly not bad

:circle-of-love: you're much welcome, Doobzilla.
Thank you Sara, I raised it to 28" just to be sure. I noticed that these Mars-Hydros put out a little heat.

:Namaste:
Hello, and thanks for your input DarksidofMike, I was thinking having two smaller LEDs would work better than one larger LED but I like the idea of having the larger LED so I may look into an upgrade to a 700 watt very soon! Thanks Again..

Hi LEDCanuk, Reflector with 5w leds is not available in Canada right now.
Thanks for the reply Sara and thanks a lot for the help everyone, this is a fantastic thread. I am so excited to get started with this LEDs :) So Sara, the new Reflector 5W would not be available to me here in Canada?

:circle-of-love: 2pcs MarsII 900w will be good for 3'x6' grow space. All lights are all with Full Spectrum unless customized spectrum, the Full Spectrum is for both veg and flower. 2pcs MarsII900w will run a little bit hotter, but not that much compared to your 2pcs 600w Hps. In spite of that, you'd better to set up well the ventilation devices. You will have a good grow. :cheer:
DarksidofMike, thanks for your help in this thread. It doesn't sound like the Reflector 5W panels are available in Canada, so I may re-jig my original plan and go with the Mars II lights. Based on what you and others have posted, it sounds like 2x MarsII 900W will work really well for a 3' x 6' area......I think I will shorten the length of my planned SCROG and go with that. Based on some of the pics and yields posted in this thread, I should be able to get a decent pull from two of those lights at a total of 800W actual (min) for 18 sqft = 44.4 W/sqft.

I see the options for the MarsII lights are different on the Mars Hydro site vs. topled........with the Mars Hydro site, they are full spectrum and are good to go for both veg and flower, correct?

My other question is about heat.......how much heat do these Mars II 900W put out? My 3 ft x 6 ft grow area sits in a larger 4 ft x 12 ft room with 8 foot ceilings, wondering how much they will raise my room's temp.

:Namaste:
yep, all their light are full spectrum and are doing good for vegging and very good for flowering.

the heat will be very low compare to HPS or any other light source, only little ventilation will be needed .... 400 cfm blower will be clearly enought , maybe 200 cfm will be enought. not sure exactly what you need for vent, my speciality is light and area lol

2X mars2 900W will rock for your area, no doubt.

happy growing.

:circle-of-love: of course you can,tonydavis, the coverage for MarsII 1200w is 4.5'x4.5', but at the standard height of 24", while for flowering stage, lower hanging distance will get less coverage, for sure. :Namaste:
so I can not cover 4 x 4 area with Mars II 1200?

This might be a weird question.. Could the fans on a 144x3 be used as extraction fans? Like if the grow box roof/ceiling was attached to the light so it could be raised and lowered, with holes for the fans to vent... What's the CFM of the fans? Trying to figure out a budget exhaust setup; mainly concerned with noise so maybe have to replace the mars fans if too loud?? I'm thinking air has to go through the light anyway, might as well be straight out the roof...
Or would it be a bit too much effort for the fans...? My box/room will be approx 40 square ft...
Cheers.

Got the Mars Hydro 192x3 and i'm very proud that i bought it :)

IF someone let me know how to upload pictures here i will show some results :)

I live in the USA and am confused about which light I bought 3 weeks ago. It was listed as a 96X3 but some have suggested that it is a 96X5. How do I tell the difference? There is a tag on it that says it is a MZ-480 96LED.
Also, what is the difference in the 96X3 and 96X5?

I live in the USA and am confused about which light I bought 3 weeks ago. It was listed as a 96X3 but some have suggested that it is a 96X5. How do I tell the difference? There is a tag on it that says it is a MZ-480 96LED.
Also, what is the difference in the 96X3 and 96X5?

96x3= 96 3w diodes/LEDs on the light. 96x5= 96 5w diodes. 5w diodes are more powerful for better penetration, but create more heat..
If there is an instruction sheet/manual in the package, there should be specs written there somewhere. Otherwise, someone here should be able to let you know from the model number.
You may have got lucky, and got shipped an updated model! Fingers crossed.

yes you can cover 4X4 with a mars2 1200W and it will be good light power. but for full light power you need a mars2 1600W.

Apologies for contracting you there DarkSideofMike. But IMHO both the 1200 and 1600 would work for a 4'x4' space.
With the Mars II 1200 set @ 18" above the canopy this would provide approximately 37 actual watts per square foot.
Sure the 1600 would provide more power but at @ 48 watts per sq/ft it's also on the verge of overkill for this size area.

This might be a weird question.. Could the fans on a 144x3 be used as extraction fans? Like if the grow box roof/ceiling was attached to the light so it could be raised and lowered, with holes for the fans to vent... What's the CFM of the fans? Trying to figure out a budget exhaust setup; mainly concerned with noise so maybe have to replace the mars fans if too loud?? I'm thinking air has to go through the light anyway, might as well be straight out the roof...
Or would it be a bit too much effort for the fans...? My box/room will be approx 40 square ft...
Cheers.

Find the volume of your room. To calculate multiply length x width x height of your growing area e.g. A room that is 8' x 8' x 8' will have a volume of 512 cubic feet.

Your extraction fans need to exchange the air in an indoor grow room once every three minutes. Therefore, 512 cubic feet / 3 minutes = 171 CFMs. This should be your minimum CFMs.

Now Add:

Number of HID lights — add about 5% per air cooled light or 10-15% per non-air cooled light.

Filters: if a carbon filter is to be used with the exhaust system then add 20%

CO2: add 5% for rooms with CO2 enrichment

Ambient temperature: for hot climates (such as Southern California) add 25%, for hot and humid climates (such as Florida) add up to 40%.

I hope that helps

EDIT: LED's I would only add 2% per light if they have fans 5% if not. Also this is not a concrete formula, it's just gathered from various resources and what I use to find the minimum. My 5x5 I went with a 720 CFMs.

hey there everyone. ive got a quick quesiton about the reflector series height adjustment.

the lights are currently hanging from the end of their ropes, to two hooks on the ceiling of the grow room, but i need to move them heigher.

is there any way in shortening the ropes so taht i can move the lights heigher up? thnks!

sorry for contracting you too uncle ... but 48w / sqft is not overkill at all, it is the perfect ratio. mars2 1600W is the perfect fit for 4X4 and im completly sure of that.

1000W HPS is perfect for 4X4 ... but many have amazing results with 600W HPS too in a 4X4 area ... while some others need more ..... this is the same thing here, yes you can be very good with less power, depend of your style of growing

to replace a 1000W HPS you need a mars2 1600W panel

to replace a 600W HPS you need a mars2 1200W panel

35 or 37w/sqft is the power needed for better quality panels than mars hydro mars2 series ... mars hydro is a great product, but not the best for power draw

maybe the new panel with cree chips to come soon will use around 35w/sqft, maybe, but not mars2 for sure

Back
Top Bottom