Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Yes, it's true, except that Reflector 48x3w is still 3w leds in US. This morning, we got a news, the price of updated Reflector series will increase by 5%, executive immdeiately...:lot-o-toke:
I believe Sara said that all of the warehouses in US and Europe have the updated 5w panels. :peace:

:circle-of-love:Dopey, if you are in Europe other than UK, you will get Reflector series with 5w leds. :circle-of-love: The draw power of MarsII700w is 314.9w under 240V and 321.8w under 120V. You will get about 50w per sqft. Actually, 30~50w per sqft will be ok.:Namaste:
Yeah Sara said the 144 was in stock in 5w but I didn't ask about the smaller panels so am I sure she will pop by to confirm. Luckily I measured before ordering the 144 as that would have been a real pain.

I could fit a 700 mars in that space but I'm concerned with that headroom it could be overkill. But from what I have read in this thread it's advised 50w per square foot. Basing that on actual wattage the 700 is about 300ish watt output right? So my space is roughly 2ftx3ft which would make 50w per sft. I appreciate that's approximate.

:thumb:you are super grower, haha:high-five:
My first grow space was a 2x3x5' closet. I put a 400 in there and it did great.:peace:

:volcano-smiley:
Thanks for the input super :thumb: I'm appreciating your grow diaries to look over.

:circle-of-love: Hello pastafarian, thanks for visiting. 4.1cm left on both sides is OK. If ventilation is controlled well, it's not supposed to be a hazard for safety :Namaste:
hi everyone
i have a lovely space that is quite long .. but its only 92 cm wide .. so reasonably narrow.

Would it be appropriate to mount a 144x3 in that space - but with the long side of the Mars (83.8 cm) straddling or bridging the space between both walls.
92cm wide - 83.8 ..... that leaves just 8.2cm total lee-way.
If the Mars is perfectly centred, its 4.1cm wall clearance on both sides.

Is being that close to the wall a hazard for both general safety, and problems due to likely excessive heat transfer ?
(Assuming all other variables are controlled .. ventilation is good; not using meltable panda plastic, or anything similarly likely to melt/combust etc )
Its the smaller face of the mars that would be facing the wall - so a 10.4 x 2 inches cross section.

In the (HPS) past I've paid only a passing heed to the idea of using reflective surfaces, and somehow still managed to have some great results. I'm hankering to utilize some up-close & solid reflective surfaces to help with my next grow (my first one under led) but this particular suggested equipment orientation may be too close.

In Canada, Reflector 144x5w and 96x5w are available. In Australia, Reflector 48x5w and 96x5w are avilable. Europe friends will get Reflector models all with 5w leds. :circle-of-love: 5w has better penetration and maybe more coverage :Namaste:
hello,

to cover 92cm wide you need 96X5 reflector and it will be ok .... 144X3 is too much for nothing and this is better to go for the new reflector with 5W chips instead of 3W. each 48X5 reflector can cover around 45X45cm for full power light, so 92cm is perfect for 2.

forget about old reflector and go for the new one with 5W chips ... cause old one only cover 40X40cm each 48X3

happy growing

As long as other variables are under control, the mounting distance is not dangerous. :Namaste:
hi Mike
thanks for the input matching appropriate light for the space. But i am asking a question about the closest safe mounting distance from a wall, and the associated heat transference issues. How close is too close ?
Its possibly one for the wardrobe growers i think, as tent growers are dealing with different set of materials/fabric/enclosure.

:thumb: I wonder what it's like, the light must feel very cosy and safe there. :cheer:
mars2, reflector don't get hot,and dont produce alot heat.

putting close to wall isnt problem, aslong as air outake other sides are open

my reflector is 56cm while cabinet depth is 57(3cm isolation) so it just fits, and no heat issue,(air outtake 2 sides is sufficient)

:thumb: MarsII 700w is a little more for 4.7 sqft, best is better than most.:circle-of-love:
yes, dopey ... you have 4.7 sqft and mars2 400W maybe little short for that, cause full power is 4 sqft. that why i suggest going for 2X 300W (60X5) old model or 2X 240W(48X5) reflector, cause the 2 can cover around 2.3 or 2.4 sqft each for full power ..... and 2 of them is perfect for 4.7 sqft ...... old model 600W (120X5) maybe a good choice too.

mars2 700W is effectivly little bit overkill for 4.7 sqft. but you can go for it if you have enought money ..... and put little more high than normal.

more is better than less for sure, but as supergroomer said, many have very good results with less than full power.

happy growing

very nice set-up, :thumb: the plants seem happy with the light.:circle-of-love:
I grow in wardrobe also, 60 x 90 x 200

Using mars2 700w + reflector 96 x3w

Would go for the 144 x 5w, or mars2 700/900w (no need to upgrade than later :) )

pics:
SAM_3365.JPG
SAM_3367.JPG

ha, more power is better than less:cheesygrinsmiley:
wow, thats a lot of light! 700W alone is clearly enought for 2X3 ganjazz

:thumb: you will have good yield.:cheer:
700w is enough but during flower more watts will give a better yield i believe. ;)

:circle-of-love: I have received the PM and left you the message. :Namaste: guess you have made the choice. MarsII 1600w will be adquate for the square grow space. The recommended height during flower is 12"~18", the height is supposed to be safe, while you still need to watch it closely for any accident. :cheer::cheer:
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my air cooled 1000w hps for my 4x4 flower tent.

I generally never do any kind of scrog, only lst if i have a stretchy sativa. I am considering either the 1600w Mars II or two 900w Mars II. I just picked up two of the 'Old New' 300w Mars II for my veg tent and am very impressed, I love how much cooler they run, this is why I wish to replace my HPS. I am sick of that battle entirely. I have more than adequate ventilation which keeps my temps max 7degrees over ambient 18" from the light @600w, 8 @1000w.

My tent is just shy of 7' in height.

Which would be my better option for penetration for taller plants? How close can I safely keep the lights from the canopy during flower?

same idea here, I do agree that 4pcs 400w will be perfect for 4'x4' grow area. :cheesygrinsmiley:
hello Raoul

mars2 1600W is perfect for 4X4 and to replace a 1000W HPS and get full light power. 2 panels or more is always better for light distribution, so yes 2X 900W will be better. the perfect setting would be to have 4X mars2 400W one in each corner.

mars2 are the best for penetration in marshydro products, so you are ok. 5 foots tall plants are not a problem.

for vegging, keep the light 18 to 24 inchs over the canopy ... for flowering keep it 12 to 18 inchs over the canopy, 12-15 max to have full power.

happy growing

Our grow tent can handle 65kg in total, he is very tough. :circle-of-love:
I thought about that but am worried about how much weight my tent can support.

4x400 puts me at 28kg
2x900 puts me at 24kg
1x1600 puts me at 14.7kg

I have the mars 4x4 tent, it currently has to support a 9kg filter and 6kg fan.

:circle-of-love: how about own one, haha.:cheer:
cannot help for tent resistance sorry, i dont own it

Hi maccamoo, yes, it's not supposed to be only 399w, so strange, could you take a photo for the test? If it's our problem, we will solve it for you and make improvements. :Namaste:
Well I was hoping you can let me no why my lights not pulling anywhere near the wattage it should be. Obviously if it's not pulling enough watts then the leds can't be running at optimum leval. I wouldn't mind if it was 10-20 or even 50 watts less but this is drawing 399watts from the wall and it should be near 560wats. Over 150 watts short. I need this looking into please at your end. I don't no why the panels not pulling the right power but I'm sure my gardens will be affected. See if I wanted to use 399watts of power I'd half my room size and buy your 700 or 900watt light but I paid for the 1200 mars 2 as that's what I need for my room. Please look into this for me and see what can be done

I literally searched antipodean. It refers to Australia and New Zealand, hmm... maybe there is more I need to dig up. :Namaste:
Hey man good to see another antipodean.. just had to say g'day and I love your avatar. We mite be at odds though cos I'm a devout pizzacostal......

sorry guys, I am late, always, lol :dreamy: but today, too much late. Friday morning is so busy.:rofl: There is an announcement from the top, the price of Reflector series with 5w leds will increase by 5%, finally, this day is coming. Never mind, 5w leds is worth 5%. The website is updating to the new price. It will complete today, maybe... you know I love you, so I tell you the news. :cheer::circle-of-love:

:circle-of-love:Dopey, if you are in Europe other than UK, you will get Reflector series with 5w leds. :circle-of-love: The draw power of MarsII700w is 314.9w under 240V and 321.8w under 120V. You will get about 50w per sqft. Actually, 30~50w per sqft will be ok

:volcano-smiley:

I am in the UK Sara. So I cannot get the 96x5 or the 48x5??? So in that case it has to be either the 400 or 700 panel.
I am thinking to get the 400 then add another 400 in a month of flowering

One thing I have not asked, can the panels be hung at an angle? So 45 degrees one either side of the plant? Do the way you hang the light have an effect on cooling the heat sink at all?

Hi Dopey, in UK, only Reflector 96x3w is with 3w leds, the others are with 5w leds, so you can get Reflector 48x5w. :circle-of-love: you can hang the light at any angle as you like, it will not have an effect.:Namaste:
I am in the UK Sara. So I cannot get the 96x5 or the 48x5??? So in that case it has to be either the 400 or 700 panel.
I am thinking to get the 400 then add another 400 in a month of flowering

One thing I have not asked, can the panels be hung at an angle? So 45 degrees one either side of the plant? Do the way you hang the light have an effect on cooling the heat sink at all?

Hey pasta I had to look up your name it was so intriguing!!! No disrespect meant with the pizzacostal joke(although it took me 10 minutes to come up with that!!!); I think the Noodly Magnificence has Touched me... Have already emailed the site to my mates...
Everyone else here, google The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ps my 144x3 arrived today. One day after I paid for it!! So awesome, thanks, Mars...
Haven't even opened it yet, cos my Dad rocked up to my place one minute before it arrived! Which was cool except I was also in the middle of securing my autoflower out of the way specifically for his visit, a once-in-9-years-event!!!
I was a bit flustered at the time; the old man (ex-cop, by the way; no shit) even said later "The way you just disappeared, I thought you were smoking dope.."
I'm 6ft tall, 90 kgs, 44 years old; my fucking house, still scared of my old man!!!!!!
Some things never change!

I thought about that but am worried about how much weight my tent can support.

4x400 puts me at 28kg
2x900 puts me at 24kg
1x1600 puts me at 14.7kg

I have the mars 4x4 tent, it currently has to support a 9kg filter and 6kg fan.

I have 2 of the smaller Mars tents (3'3"x3'3") and I have 2 400's in one with filter and fan hung from the top with no issues. I don't think you would have any problem with 4 400's if that is the route you decide to go.

Morning santb

I looked up "the Flying Spaghetti Monster", hilarious and no doubt offends many but people need to step back and see it for what it is: a humorous way of saying that everybody has a right to their own beliefs and opinions :)

As for your father, I feel for ya mate, I grew up with a mother who was a step below a psychologist. Everything I did had some underlying mental reason, wasn't just that I was a teenager LOL The difference being, as I got older, she realized that I was my own person that was quite capable of forming my own opinions, and she learned to accept that LOL

She and I had a discussion about a month ago about cannabis for medical use. Due to her education and the brain-washing by gov'ts and the medical community back in the 60's and 70's, she gave all the old BS we have all be told over the years: gateway drug, addiction etc.
I referred her to medical studies disproving all she thought she knew. In the end, I used her experiences as a marriage and family counselor and compared alcohol to cannabis. I asked her how many times she dealt with abuse and alcohol going hand in hand, and then asked how many times she had ever dealt with someone using cannabis that abused someone. That ended the debate LOL

The debate started when I mentioned investigating cannabis as a treatment for my condition. Since the debate, she has actually started looking into it herself and following the changes taking place in the US

Awesome Celt.. Progress is progress!
My old man is 1950s black and white..right or wrong, legal or illegal, so no hope of attitude shift... I think if he knew I used weed regularly (he knows I'm as big a drinker as he ever was; ironic) he'd be genuinely shocked: I work, pay taxes/mortgage, look after myself, have a great missus who also works, am not your typical druggo scumbag getting arrested every 5 minutes. That not only would not compute for him: it would make no difference at all. "Drugs" are bad. And illegal.
That's cool; he's my Dad, and what he doesn't know, won't hurt us.
My best mate growing up; his mum was a psychologist. Eating disorder expert. She was the same: Now boys, cannabis causes schizophrenia, psychotic episodes, memory loss, you'll be on heroin in 5 months....Here I am smoking/drinking/toking 30 years later..
Same as dad: a generational/cultural thing from working/middle-class semi-affluence and/or authority-figure responsibility ideals.
It is what it is; some times you get lucky and change a mind through simple demonstration: I am not a druggo scumbag and I smoke pot!
The majority of the previous generation have been brainwashed by themselves.... They didn't need to rebel, things were relatively good for them. Not a dig, just the world as it was/is..
Good to see minds can be changed.
Pastafarianism... Looks awesome, right? You hit the nail on the head about the right to believe in whatever.. Go to the website and read the "hate mail" section.... Classic! Some of these religious types really take it too seriously! My mum's a christian, but I know she would just laugh (knowingly, safe in the knowledge that she has been saved....) at FSM as well as the extremist spouting against them....
Yet none of them get that extremism is extremism-no mater what god you believe in.

Man you guys have just painted a perfect description of my parents.
The efforts by the US propaganda machine back in their day must have been really effective. "But the times....they are a changin'" - Bob Dylan
:allgood:

Back
Top Bottom