Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Thanks for the info KJC your harvesting method sounds very similar to mine actually as i too do it branch by branch using fiskar scissors (need to get me some gloves though as fingers get very sticky lol) my scissors are more like this though Fiskars 4014 Short Cut Sharp Thread Snips Shortcut Scissors | eBay but i have found some like you linked to so maybe i will get some like this then Fiskars Soft Grip 5" Easy Spring Action Scissors Micro-Tip SELECT YOUR DESIGN! | eBay

That drying rack looks great where abouts do you hang it eg the conditions of the space?
does this rack look ok Drying Net dry rack hydroponics grow kit grow tent 8 tier drying | eBay as if so will add it to my shopping list

I was also going to get one of these to help decide on the best time to harvest too Microscope 60x Zoom LED for Hydroponics Grow tent UK SELLER First Class Deliver | eBay

I have also read recently that you should cut the whole plant down in one go and hang the whole thing for about a week before trimming etc. Whats your view on this?

Thanks for the info KJC your harvesting method sounds very similar to mine actually as i too do it branch by branch using fiskar scissors (need to get me some gloves though as fingers get very sticky lol)

That drying rack looks great where abouts do you hang it eg the conditions of the space?

I have also read recently that you should cut the whole plant down in one go and hang the whole thing for about a week before trimming etc. Whats your view on this?

I have a hook to hang the drying rack from my ceiling in a room that contains my Seed Cabinet with filtered air with a carbon filter and inline fan for scent control when drying. You want 70° Fahrenheit and from 40%-60% humidity to dry your cannabis buds. You want to cure your cannabis buds to 62% dried humidity.

I have trimmed plants that have been dried for days and I much prefer both the drying rate the buds dry at and removing leaves and trimming the buds from green plants rather than working with drier, stiffer and crumblier material longer drying periods before trimming begins with dried plants.

I think i will turn my old small grow tent into a drying room then as that sounds like the best way for me to control the conditions. So will defo add one of those racks to my shopping list.

I have always dried my plants in a dark enviroment before but am always concerned with mold growth as have had a couple of plants have this issue and its very upsetting.

Oh and thanks for the PM KJC ot looks very useful i would reply saying thanks but still dont have a 50 post count yet.

Hey Jedthedog & KingJohnC!!

I was just looking through KingJohnC's journal. My space is limited.. 20" x 36" x 62". I'm afraid LST will want the entire space for one girl. I have two.. This is why I plan on using mainlining.. I can fit two girls, with 8 fat colas each (18" x 20") vs only one bushy lady (36" x20") Does this sound like a good idea to you guys!? Also, is the 144x3 capable of supporting 3 ft thick colas in your opinions!? If it can't support big colas (without any canapy I'm the way), then LST probably will be a better bet!? Thanks so much for your help guys!!! Sorry to bother!!

Just pulled the trigger on my upgrade (tax refund showed up!!) I got two 3'x3' tents and a Mars II 900. Now I can start playing like the big boys!!:thumb: Seriously, I don't want to increase my number of plants. I just want them to have more light. I know my yields will increase if my flowering plants aren't squeezed so close together!!! I figure that I should be able to get 4 medium height plants in a 10+ sq ft worth of tent space. Having the 900 in there should really get things going.:peace:

My Seed Cabinet measures 54 1/2" L x 28 1/4" W x 72" H. With Low Stress Training, Topping and Defoliation you can grow a plant almost any size to suit your space needs and produce large harvests. I also commonly grow several 36"-44" tall plants in my Seed Cabinet.

About light intensity: Hiker, KJC, Greytail

So I followed your advice and instead of adding another tent i upped the Lighting. Day 5 in my 4x8 flower tent since flip with no changes to Anything but lighting. From 35 to 47 watts per square foot. Stretch has come on soooooo strong and quickly I am bit worried that I vegged to long although I filled screens with same genetics to the same degree - Looking forward to seeing how this ends up. My (2) Mars 1200w are now waiting to go into the 5x10 and each be surrounded by (4) 48x3x reflectors as soon as they land.

Thanks for the advice - dividends already appear to be showing :)

You can control stretch somewhat with defoliation. If a branch is as tall as you want, take off the large leaves. In my experience that will have a localized affect on only that branch. My theory is it shifts resources from building internode length into replacing the leaves.

In my current grow I'm doing a test of not doing any defoliating during flower. I think I'm gonna do some trimming on the undergrowth (aka lollypopping) as I know I'll get dead stuff otherwise, but I am leaving the leaves on one plant of each strain.

I wait until week 2-3 of 12/12 to do my normal defoliation. If I have a runaway, I just do that branch earlier.

One of my spaces is 4x2 with 2 Mars II 400's This is just a little over 40 watts a square foot actual draw:peace:. In my opinion more is needed.

Really? I think a Mars II 400w covers 2'x2' pretty well. I space mine 24" apart. I'm used to a mover, so my only complaint is they are stationary. :blalol:

In the batch that just finished, it did seem like I had space between my plants, but the new batch in flowering were bigger plants and have filled in their space more completely. 2'x2' still seems to be pretty good to me, but I'm willing to setup another set of hooks to do a test. With 24" between the lights, I'm at 50w/sqft now (I use 200w for actual draw, but I know most lights read in the 190's), so if I want to test 60w/sqft, I need to space the lights at 22" instead of 24", right? I checked my math twice... I think that's right. I'll do a test on my next run of Flower B. Problem is I'm always tweaking things, so it's hard to control for everything else. Maybe I'll hold off one some of the nute changes I want to try.

I have used both a 144x3 and two 96x3's in that size tent, with good results from both setups. I ran the two 96x3's end to end, as opposed to side by side. Yield was similar, with the two 96x3's doing just a little better. Due to a better light spread. If cash is an issue the 144x3 will do fine. If not, grab the two 96x3's. Having said that, I do prefer the Mars2. Given your 7 ft height, two of the 80x5's would be awesome. My tent was only 5 ft tall so I had to go with the reflectors. All my tall tents are loaded with Mars 2's. Hope that helps.

x3!!!!

I had a ton of other posts quoted about which lights to get. Northman is right and brings up the easiest way to decide between the reflector series or the Mars 2... vertical space. If you're limited, or doing a short grow style ie scrog, you should get the 3w reflector style. If you have the vertical space and are growing tall plants, get the 5w Mars 2.

As to which size? I will always advocate for buying the smallest size lamp and then get as many as you need to cover your space. I think the Mars 2 400w covers 2'x2' pretty well and gives you a solid 24"-36" of, what I call, the 'growth band'.

I have 2 of the reflector series. I forget the LED count on them, but they are the long ones (192x3?)
They grow excellent nuggs. I keep them closer to the plants and the quality tapers off faster. The penetration is not as good as the Mars 2.

Hey guys!!! My 144x3 is fiiinally arriving today!!! Its been a long wait, but so excited to receive it today I almost can't stand it!!!! Woooo hoo!!!

Two quick questions... Please.

I know they have been answered in this thread several times... Just don't have the energy to search through 600 pages to find it!!

I have two hybrids... One has been up since Friday and her sister since Saturday. They're one inch tall... Just starting to see second leaf sets. At what distance do I want to put then from this new 144x3!?!? They are currently 1-2" away from a 23watt CFL each. Temp is 79(high), 68(low), with good airflow that's fed by a/c in another room.

Second question is about nutrients. When to start them!? They were started in 1.5" rockwool, and have been transfered to 6" pots as soon as roots started tobpoke through. They have only been watered using pH adjusted tap. Everything is green and healthy at the moment. Roots seem to be filling the 6" pots.. Rockwool at bottom of pot is having the water sucked out of it!!! I have calmag+, aquashield, flora blend, and the flora series grow, micro, blend. Going to use The Capn's recipe. And dilute it to 300ppm. Am I safe to start now!? Or should I wait until they are at least one week above ground!?!

Thanks so so much for any help you guys can offer!!?! FedEx should be here in 3-4 hours. I think I'll water this morning with plain tap again... This will give me time to await your replies... as well as give them a chance to adjust to the light by itself... Instead of strong light and nutes all at the same time!? I'm remembering for the last, the scariest part of it is not knowing what to expect. Once you make it through the first round with a certain medium... You'll know when it needs water, nutes, lighting distances etc. This is why those with experice say after dialing system in... Yeilds can only help but improve!!!

I know there are some excellent LED growers on here and I am not arguing but I actually start my babies from seed under my LEDs but when they are this small I keep the light about 4' off of them and they staack their nodes very tightly and never geet stressed.... I have read many times on here that some folks keep them as low as 12"... IMO when they are that young the lights are to intense.... Just sayin' for what it's worth... I currently have 2 girls under a 96x3w and 48x3w that were started from seed under these lights... you are more than welcome to check my journal to see how well these lights can grow your girls..:circle-of-love:

I was gonna reply, but this is pretty much what I would say. I think 18" is far too close until it has at least 5 sets of leaves. I move my lights down gradually. It let's the plant 'harden' to the more intense light.

You should wait to feed until at least 3 nodes, but KJC's 5 is a good guideline as well. I also feed at a very low strength. Here is a tip when trying to dilute, just calculate using their numbers but pretend you're using 1/4 the amount of water. I dunno, I find it easier to think that way then trying to diving 12 different volumes by 4 :blalol:

the main areas i fall down at the mo is cultivating the plants for maximum growth/yield (eg topping the plants and pruning) but also the drying and harvesting bit.

All things that are mostly learned through experience. You can/will learn a lot her, but nothing beats first hand knowledge.

For trimming I use Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip recommended by the arthritis society, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. One of the handles broke on my last pair, I used the warranty claim on the website and Fiskars replaced them at no cost.

Titanium Micro Tip Easy Action Scissors No.5

Thank you! :thanks: :adore:

I use these scissors and we just broke TWO pair last weekend! :rofl:
My wife was trimming and the spring broke. That meant she was done for the night. I finished up. An hour later, the spring on mine broke. :blalol:

I had one pair left to finish up, and then I found Sprawl-Mart doesn't carry these anymore. :(

I have a question for you about the titanium ones...
I order a pair of each. This is the first time I've had the yellow ones. I'm worried that since it's a coating, and will eventually wear off, it's gonna end up on the buds. Have you noticed the coating wearing off?

I was planning to order a couple more pairs of the non-coated, but now that you pointed out their lifetime warranty, I'll just send in the 2 I have. I hope they don't need the springs or the little orange lock switches. They are in the trash. I was gonna try to source some barrel springs on my own, but new scissors sounds better. :biglaugh:

thanks again KJC!

Thanks for the info KJC your harvesting method sounds very similar to mine actually as i too do it branch by branch using fiskar scissors (need to get me some gloves though as fingers get very sticky lol) my scissors are more like this though Fiskars 4014 Short Cut Sharp Thread Snips Shortcut Scissors NEW | eBay but i have found some like you linked to so maybe i will get some like this then Fiskars Soft Grip 5" Easy Spring Action Scissors Micro-Tip SELECT YOUR DESIGN! | eBay

does this rack look ok Drying Net dry rack hydroponics grow kit grow tent 8 tier drying | eBay as if so will add it to my shopping list

I was also going to get one of these to help decide on the best time to harvest too Microscope 60x Zoom LED for Hydroponics Grow tent UK SELLER First Class Deliver | eBay

I have that model scissor as well. It can be useful if you want to make a 'show nugg', but the problem I have with them is the blades can separate. You have to use your fingers/hand to make sure they stay pushed together. Hinged scissors with a spring are ideal, and the micro tip fiskars are the bomb. :thumb:

The microscope is a useful tool in your growing arsenal. :)

I also use a net rack, but I de-stem during trim. Mine hangs near my veg trays. I like light on the buds during the first couple days after harvest.

I HATE trimming dry nuggs. When you hand them untrimmed, the leaf tips all droop down and attach to the buds. When I trim, I try to snip the pointy tips off nearly every leaf. I think it makes the nugg look well manicured. I don't loose the crystals as I extract the oil from all my sugar leaf/popcorn. If I let them dry first I can't get those little tips off very easily. It takes me much longer to trim dried plants. Last weekend I got interrupted during my pre-trim phase. The branches only hung for about 8-10 hours (overnight) until I got back to them, and already the leaves were sticking to the nuggs. Luckily, the wash process made them mostly turgid again, so trimming wasn't too bad, but finishing the pre-trim was tedious as I had to use my fingers to 'pull' many of the fan leaves off the nuggs. Sorry, bit of a rant. Did I mention I hate trimming plants that aren't fresh? :biglaugh:

You can control stretch somewhat with defoliation. If a branch is as tall as you want, take off the large leaves. In my experience that will have a localized affect on only that branch. My theory is it shifts resources from building internode length into replacing the leaves.

In my current grow I'm doing a test of not doing any defoliating during flower. I think I'm gonna do some trimming on the undergrowth (aka lollypopping) as I know I'll get dead stuff otherwise, but I am leaving the leaves on one plant of each strain.

I wait until week 2-3 of 12/12 to do my normal defoliation. If I have a runaway, I just do that branch earlier.

I learned that by mistake early on. I defolled a plant about 2 weeks into flower and lost the stretch. Plant ended smaller then I wanted. Now if I need to slow it down I will defoll a little early, but Usually I will wait till at least 4 weeks into flower.

Thanks for the info KJC your harvesting method sounds very similar to mine actually as i too do it branch by branch using fiskar scissors (need to get me some gloves though as fingers get very sticky lol) my scissors are more like this though Fiskars 4014 Short Cut Sharp Thread Snips Shortcut Scissors NEW | eBay but i have found some like you linked to so maybe i will get some like this then Fiskars Soft Grip 5" Easy Spring Action Scissors Micro-Tip SELECT YOUR DESIGN! | eBay

Shear style scissors tend to separate when you are using them and are more suited to delicate work rather than efficient trimming speed. Your first harvest will have a grin on your face and a sore back after the hours you will spend trimming by hand. The Fiskars Soft Grip 5" Easy Spring Action Scissors Micro-Tip scissors are the ones recommended by the arthritis society and have a well balanced spring tension to be less fatiguing and the ones I prefer to use.

You want a dark area with 70° Fahrenheit or 20° Celsius with air circulation to hang the drying rack. Light degrades trichomes as the buds dry and cure. The 60x Zoom LED Microscope will allow you to see the trichomes clearly and judge when to harvest your buds.

I own a Hydrofarm Active Eye 30X jewelers Loupe, Carson Optical MicroMax LED Microscope 60x-100x and a 25X-200X Magnifier USB Digital Microscope Video Camera that I use to take trichome photographs.

Hydrofarm_AEM30_30x_Active_Eye_Loupe.png

Active Eye Loupe, 30X

Carson_Optical_MicroMax_LED_Microscope_60x-100x.png

Here is a Gro1 1.3MP USB LED Digital Microscope 10x & 300x

Gro1 1.3MP USB LED Digital Microscope 10x & 300x - Perfect Gardens

Thank you! :thanks: :adore:

I use these scissors and we just broke TWO pair last weekend! :rofl:
My wife was trimming and the spring broke. That meant she was done for the night. I finished up. An hour later, the spring on mine broke. :blalol:

I had one pair left to finish up, and then I found Sprawl-Mart doesn't carry these anymore. :(

I have a question for you about the titanium ones...
I order a pair of each. This is the first time I've had the yellow ones. I'm worried that since it's a coating, and will eventually wear off, it's gonna end up on the buds. Have you noticed the coating wearing off?

I was planning to order a couple more pairs of the non-coated, but now that you pointed out their lifetime warranty, I'll just send in the 2 I have. I hope they don't need the springs or the little orange lock switches. They are in the trash. I was gonna try to source some barrel springs on my own, but new scissors sounds better. :biglaugh:

thanks again KJC!

I have that model scissor as well. It can be useful if you want to make a 'show nugg', but the problem I have with them is the blades can separate. You have to use your fingers/hand to make sure they stay pushed together. Hinged scissors with a spring are ideal, and the micro tip fiskars are the bomb. :thumb:

Fiskars actually backs up its warranty if you can take photographs of the defective or broken products and submit a warranty claim to their warranty claim submission Form online!

Warranty Claim / Customer Service | Fiskars

I believe that Home Depot currently has the contract with Fiskars.

https://www.homedepot.com Fiskars 1-7/8 in. Micro-tip Pruning Snip

The Pair of Fiskars Micro Tip Titanium coating did not wear before my first pair broke and were replaced with regular Micro Tip scissors instead.

has anybody used the 100x3w led light? whats the average yield ? I'm gonna be running white widow auto 4 plants 5 gal smart pot just looking for 6 ounces or less that's the legal limit for me.

Wow Hiker and KJC you both have been so helpful!! I dont think i have learnt this much useful info in one day for ages.

Hopefully Sara will get back to me soon with a good price for the lamps i need as then i can get on buying the rest of the kit i want and start setuping up as am eager to get some new plants going.

Exciting news, :cheer: hope your plants like our light. Wating for your update Eauqnimity. :circle-of-love:
My light arrived 2 days early.

Can't beat that.

Gonna leave it switched on for a coupla days to make sure it ain't gonna crap out when i add it to the rack.

Thanks kids!
Thanks LED420, I am so happy your plants love our light. :cheesygrinsmiley:
After 10 days under the 900er Mars II I can definitely say my plants love the light.
I will buy one more for my vegi tent.

Thanks!

Sorry Bammer, the 100x3w is still not avaible right now, so we do not have any price or info for it. :Namaste:
Hi Sara

Do you have an eta and price on the 100x3w sun series that is mentioned in the add on your web page ?

Thanks

We still have 700w lights in our UK warehosue Jesse pinkman. :circle-of-love: The shipping cost to UK is 15USD each. :high-five: You can email me when you are ready to order.
Sara do you have any mars2 700w in your uk warehouse? If so how much for one delivered please with the 5% discount code? You can send me a pm if you want want to reply on here

Thanks in advance
Hmm... Erniemedina, you know everything. :volcano-smiley:
Discount Code- Medgrower1

Hello Moto :circle-of-love: I am glad you have received the light at last.
Hey guys!!! My 144x3 is fiiinally arriving today!!! Its been a long wait, but so excited to receive it today I almost can't stand it!!!! Woooo hoo!!!

Two quick questions... Please.

I know they have been answered in this thread several times... Just don't have the energy to search through 600 pages to find it!!
It is OK, we can help you any time whenever you post here. :high-five:

I have two hybrids... One has been up since Friday and her sister since Saturday. They're one inch tall... Just starting to see second leaf sets. At what distance do I want to put then from this new 144x3!?!? They are currently 1-2" away from a 23watt CFL each. Temp is 79(high), 68(low), with good airflow that's fed by a/c in another room.
Please keep the lights around 18~24 inches above your plants :high-five:

Please use less nutrients when start the grow, then add the cal and mag, which your plants will need under the LED. :circle-of-love:
Second question is about nutrients. When to start them!? They were started in 1.5" rockwool, and have been transfered to 6" pots as soon as roots started tobpoke through. They have only been watered using pH adjusted tap. Everything is green and healthy at the moment. Roots seem to be filling the 6" pots.. Rockwool at bottom of pot is having the water sucked out of it!!! I have calmag+, aquashield, flora blend, and the flora series grow, micro, blend. Going to use The Capn's recipe. And dilute it to 300ppm. Am I safe to start now!? Or should I wait until they are at least one week above ground!?!

:Namaste:
Thanks so so much for any help you guys can offer!!?! FedEx should be here in 3-4 hours. I think I'll water this morning with plain tap again... This will give me time to await your replies... as well as give them a chance to adjust to the light by itself... Instead of strong light and nutes all at the same time!? I'm remembering for the last, the scariest part of it is not knowing what to expect. Once you make it through the first round with a certain medium... You'll know when it needs water, nutes, lighting distances etc. This is why those with experice say after dialing system in... Yeilds can only help but improve!!!
Thanks KingJohnC :high-five:
When a seedling is 4"-5" tall and has 5 nodes of growth I begin feeding 1/4 strength nutrients. I have experimented with rooting cuttings in a 1/6-1/8 nutrient solution with favorable results.
Thanks Jedthedog :high-five:
I have 3 of the 144 x 3 lights and am very pleased with them. I would suggest that you leave the light about 18 inches above the plants and feed them nothing but water at first. We grow everything Organic here with compost tea,s and stay away from the chemical soups. You may when they get bigger want to add a little Cal-Mag as LED usually calls for it .. Good Luck

:circle-of-love: When you are ready to flower, switch the light distance closer to 12~18 inches. :high-five:
Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!

4-5" before adding nutes seems reasonable... however I do plan on mainlining these ladies. Will it be OK, to top it its first time and start adding nutes ... Or will that be too much stress!? Height is limited 5'2... So I don't want them to get too tall before starting the mainlining.

18" for starting light height sound excellent!! I was worried 24-30" was going to have them stretching like crazy!!! When should I switch the lighting distance again!? Say move it to 12" a week or two before flower!?
:high-five:
Yes, you may Mainline and Top your plants if you wish. You may also be interested in using more updated techniques of Low Stress Training, Topping and Defoliation applied at the proper stages of growth to enhance and increase the amount harvested per plant in my KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal or my KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal.
:thumb:
Give these Gals a chance to grow.. Patience my friend ...

Hello Boomer76, please email me :high-five:
Hi, just been reading thru this thread (I did skip a few pages as its 700+ pages long lol)

I am looking to swap from a HPS setup to LED panels and am liking the look of these mars-hydro panels.

I am going to need 3 of the 300w Panels for my grow space. Whats the best way to get the best deal on the lights?

I have found a good deal on ebay for 2 panels here 2PCS 300W LED Grow Light Hydroponic Plant Veg Flower Full Spectrum Panel Lamp | eBay but I really need 3 any advice or should I just PM sara directly or just purchase via their website? a discount code would be handy too :)

Thanks in advance
KingJohnC is a professional growner here. :thumb:
Thanks KingJohnC :)

Looks like my setups pale in comparison to yours as just had a quick look at some of your links looks like I have some reading to do :)
Can you email me at: info@mars-hydro.com ? :Namaste:
Ah ok so i cant PM Sara as need a 50 post count before i can PM so hopefully Sara will see my post and PM me

:thumb: Thank you KingJohnC, finally we can get some updates from you on our Sun series. So exciting. :cheer:
Thank you kindly! I started very humbly when I began growing cannabis and slowly planed my grow areas and now as a Product Reviewer with the assistance of 420 Magazine sponsors am able to test and Review some of the latest high tech growing equipment and nutrients to determine how well these products work growing cannabis! I am pleased to announce my upcoming Grow Journal and Review for the new Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Sun series LED light panel!

Sun Series LED Grow Light- Mars Hydro

Back
Top Bottom