Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

As I'm using a dehumidifier I use is a Carbon scrubber mounted in the top section of the 2x4 x6 cabinet.

I use twin fans for the exhaust to cut down on noise.
what it does is allow me to use both fans on a low setting yet pull air like one fan was on a nosier high setting.

I read a paper on commercial Fan noise reduction for plants , it stated that using 2 fans increases the noise level by just 2 dbi and is much quieter then using one fan at a higher speed.

My fan system is quiet , measure with my dbi meter it is 47 to 49 dbi at 6 feet distance.

Many fridges are over 50 dbi at 6 feet , which is the standard used when measuring noise.

As I'm using a dehumidifier I use is a Carbon scrubber mounted in the top section of the 2x4 x6 cabinet.

I use twin fans for the exhaust to cut down on noise.
what it does is allow me to use both fans on a low setting yet pull air like one fan was on a nosier high setting.

I read a paper on commercial Fan noise reduction for plants , it stated that using 2 fans increases the noise level by just 2 dbi and is much quieter then using one fan at a higher speed.

My fan system is quiet , measure with my dbi meter it is 47 to 49 dbi at 6 feet distance.

Many fridges are over 50 dbi at 6 feet , which is the standard used when measuring noise.

Great now you have me thinking haha

I could use an old refrigerator for my design, one with an upper freezer, kind of like what I built for beer kegs. Drill holes into the side of the fridge for intake 6-8" ducts, export air to the freezer section with a second fan pulling fresh air in from outside the room, mixing it with scrubbed air, CO2, etc and feed that back into the tent. Fridges have good insulation and you could use it to cool your air for hotter lights and/or warmer months not to mention keep a few beers cold. I found a bunch of used fridges on craigs list for under a hundred bucks, a new 9.9 cubic foot one is $300. Could be cheaper than building a cabinet from scratch.

A small window air conditioner would be the kitties meow. they are designed to remove moisture and cool the air If heats a problem. Its not for me.

You should consider buying one of those from Craigs lists for $20 or whatever or buy a new one for $120

The 5000 Btu window AC units consume 500w old fridges consume 350-450w new ones about 120w

You could use it after the carbon and exhaust the hot air into a second room or outside.
Ac units blow cold air out one end and hot air out the other.

I delved into this when I insulated my fridge for economy.

Were you thinking of gutting the fridge and using it as a starter chamber ?
or use it as a pacifically cooled vent from the outside air ? (I like that idea)

A gutted fridge would be good for seedlings/clones up top and young plants down below. A free ultra stealth 2x2x5 grow tent haha

the AC unit would normally be used for larger grows or hot hot weather , using it as a heater is something people do who are trying to save money on heating costs. You can literally reverse them in a window and blow hot sir inside the house and cold air outside.

A small window air conditioner would be the kitties meow. they are designed to remove moisture and cool the air If heats a problem. Its not for me.

You should consider buying one of those from Craigs lists for $20 or whatever or buy a new one for $120

The 5000 Btu window AC units consume 500w old fridges consume 350-450w new ones about 120w

You could use it after the carbon and exhaust the hot air into a second room or outside.
Ac units blow cold air out one end and hot air out the other.

I delved into this when I insulated my fridge for economy.

Were you thinking of gutting the fridge and using it as a starter chamber ?
or use it as a pacifically cooled vent from the outside air ? (I like that idea)

A gutted fridge would be good for seedlings/clones up top and young plants down below. A free ultra stealth 2x2x5 grow tent haha

the AC unit would normally be used for larger grows or hot hot weather , using it as a heater is something people do who are trying to save money on heating costs. You can literally reverse them in a window and blow hot sir inside the house and cold air outside.

I've seen some fridge conversions into grow rooms but this would be all for the filter. I would probably make a more stable shelf that slides into the sides of the fridge molded for shelves to adjust for different size filters. I might cut a window into the door, add plexiglass and a colored light but that is just fancy touches that serve little purpose. I wouldn't use the door shelves for storage though since I expect pressure in that part of the fridge since it's sucking everything in. Imploded bottles of nutes wouldn't be fun. Air would be expelled into the freezer section where it could be either A) exhausted to a duct running outside B) Use freezer area to recycle air, adding CO2, control temps, mix with pulled in fresh air, etc. In any case I will need to fix the freezer door to stay closed so it isn't blown open.

I think a fridge would just help keep things quiet and seal up pretty tight. Not to mention more drilling than cutting and very little measuring.

Grizfridge.jpg

edit:
I think that design is sound , I was second guessing the lower air draw but that is for scrubbing so no issues.

some years ago I made a tall narrow plywood box that I mounted the carbon filter on top of. It had a fan on the bottom to suck air threw the carbon and blow the warm air into the living room for auxiliary heating. It worked like a charm and saved on heating costs.
I used a dehumidifier in the grow room so the exhaust was dry.

You need a dehumidifier if your going to recycle the air. They can be had on Craig's lists etc.

Hello, first time poster. I live in Ohio and it looks like we will pass the legalize weed issue. We will be allowed 4 flowering plants and 8 oz's of stash. I'm growin! I have a 3'x2' closet I will be using. I plan on getting a fan and filter for sure. I can't decide to go with a 400w mh and hps system from ebay, or a reflector 96 mars hydro. Any thoughts? What's the best for my space? What would some of you pro's recommend? Thanks

Hello, first time poster. I live in Ohio and it looks like we will pass the legalize weed issue. We will be allowed 4 flowering plants and 8 oz's of stash. I'm growin! I have a 3'x2' closet I will be using. I plan on getting a fan and filter for sure. I can't decide to go with a 400w mh and hps system from ebay, or a reflector 96 mars hydro. Any thoughts? What's the best for my space? What would some of you pro's recommend? Thanks

Considering your are on the Mars-Hydro thread, I think we would all recommend LED vs HPS :). As for which one, I ran a Mars 400 in the same size cabinet. Given the fact that the Reflectors now have the 5w led, I would probably go the the 96x5. :peace:

A 400 watt HPS/Mh setup will require an air cooled hood, heat builds up FAST in small spaces. I have two mars 400's in a 2x4 with ambient temps at 76 degrees and hold 81/82 degrees most of the time(two 400's about 350 wall watts). I couldn't imagine the heat with an HPS. Not to mention my wife would probably be pissed. LoL.

The 144 reflector would work kick ass in the 2x3 space.

That panel is 30 inches long , costs a little more money but will absolutely max out the light energy.

The growth would be supreme with bud size to match.

but we can't always get what we want and have to instead settle for what we can afford.
i personally want the 144x 5w panel and end up recommending it to people.

Just wanted to get a second opinion before I place my lighting order. I'm in the process of constructing a 5.5' wide 7' tall 3.5' deep grow cabinet. I've got 3 chambers: 1.5'x3.5'x2' tall clone and seedling chamber 1.5'x3.5'x5' tall veg chamber, and a 3.5'x3.5'x7' tall flower chamber.

I was planning to have:
Mars reflector 48x5 for the seedlings.
Mars reflector 96x5 or 144x5 for veg?
Mars 2 1200 or 2x 144x5 reflector for flower?

I'll be exhausting the chambers with a 6" fan/carbon filter combo controlled by a titan controls mercury 4.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I've got two of the Mars II Sunlight Series 400 watt lights that I used for one grow that I'm selling for a great price. I moved and won't be growing anything anymore. Send me a message if interested. They were great lights and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Just wanted to get a second opinion before I place my lighting order. I'm in the process of constructing a 5.5' wide 7' tall 3.5' deep grow cabinet. I've got 3 chambers: 1.5'x3.5'x2' tall clone and seedling chamber 1.5'x3.5'x5' tall veg chamber, and a 3.5'x3.5'x7' tall flower chamber.
I was planning to have:
I'll be exhausting the chambers with a 6" fan/carbon filter combo controlled by a titan controls mercury 4.

First, my Mars II 400w just arrived today, and it has the switches for Veg and Bud light spectrums, which is cool, and that's all I need for the little 27"x27"x63", with a smaller volume 6" inline duct booster fan.

I don't feel the 1.5' dimension is really suitable for anything but seedlings and early stages.

I've also done some reading into various reviews and blogs and it seems to me that being able to alter the light spectrum not only saves electricity, giving the plants what they need when they need it, but also reduces the heat. Also, the 5w appear to have better penetration of the plants during the growth and budding cycles, which would also have a direct correlation to volume and quality.

My prior plants soil grown in 3 gal. pots outdoors were semi SCROD and ended up being about 3' diameter each before entering the flowering phase. I would expect about the same size in the tent with LED (if not better, depending on the growing medium, and I'm leaning toward coco coir and maybe some peat, etc. (to retain better moisture, but still allowing for rapid adjustments of nute and pH levels if necessary).

Maybe it's just me, but if you're really going to grow in veg state you probably want more room and/or less light, and 2 of the 144x5 for a 3.5'x3.5' seems like way overkill, too. Normally, I would expect one good plant to fill the 3.5'x3.5' area, maybe a few of them in various stages, and only require about 700w LED. The larger tent would likely require the 1200w LED.

From what I'm familiar with, more is not always better, not in water, nutes, light, etc.

Even so, most of my grows since the 1970s have always been outdoors, until now.

Adam for your space I am thinking one of the Mars II 1600 would work pretty well it has a watt draw of 725w and is rated for 4.2 sq.ft.

If you would rather have two panels then two of the 144x 5w would work great in your 3.5x3.5 sq.ft space.
Those lights fit your space well on all sides.

But two 1200's would be better then one 1600w just because of watt output.
Finances play a important part you can only do what you can do at the time.

With that said three 144x 5w panels would fit awesomely ;) with near if not perfect coverage.
with a very high watt per sq.ft number. My guess is 75w a sq.ft

They require various types of good quality nutrients at that light level as growth is accelerated.

I use 70w per sq.ft for flower and 50w per sq for veg

I was planning to have:

Now that the Mars II 5w come with switches for veg and flower stages in both the 400w and 700w, I'd go with the Mars II 700w for that area, with a 6" to 8" inline duct fan due to it's small size.

Question: What type of growing medium are you going for, or are you going hydro?

The 144 reflector would work kick ass in the 2x3 space.

That panel is 30 inches long , costs a little more money but will absolutely max out the light energy.

The growth would be supreme with bud size to match.

but we can't always get what we want and have to instead settle for what we can afford.
i personally want the 144x 5w panel and end up recommending it to people.

The only difference I would recommend would be using the 700w Mars II 5w with the switches for Veg and Bloom cycles.

Yep they both employ the switches the 144x 5x are rectangle like the 2x3 space so even coverage is optimized.

I would suggest two 98x 5w over 1 700w mars II gain because of coverage.

I find it helps to maintain a even canopy if the lights are evenly spaced.

I use three Panels spaced 8 inches apart so I get even coverage.

The only difference I would recommend would be using the 700w Mars II 5w with the switches for Veg and Bloom cycles.

Back
Top Bottom