Marshydro LED for veg - HPS for flower - But when to swap?

Doozy

Hi all,

I'm running 2300w of Mars 2 full spectrum LEDs in a 5x5 for veg, currently at week 4. I've already stated very clearly that i don't think these particular lights have what is neccesary for high yeilds in flower, but are really good for nice tight, compact plants in veg. I don't really want to get into a debate on here about this point, i'm aiming for 1gpw+, and i'm afraid, as good as they are in veg, i can't see the Mars units ever coming even close to that in flower.

Therefor, i'll be running 1200w of HPS - 2x Orchid air cooled reflectors with a 600w Sunmaster HPS Delux bulb in each, with magnetic ballasts (i need reliablity more than anything) in flower.

My question is, when should i switch the lights over?

The Mars were great up until the 'fattening up' stage (see below for image of previous grow)....the strech was good. I was thinking of waiting until about a week after the switch to 12/12 to swap the LEDs for the HPS units because of this.

P1150755.JPG

But, are there any experienced growers out there who think it might just be a better idea to get the switch over and done with in one go? Straight from 18/6 to 12/12 and LED to HPS at the same time?

Will the ladies stretch just as well under the HPS (i need to fill out my scrog)

Unfortunately i don't have the space to do a mix of the lights....(i.e a gradual change), so it's either one or the other.

Thanks for any help in advance, much appreciated :)

Thanks for the offer Sara, but the last time i mentioned an issue with these lights on your thread, i was told the problem must be that i didn't have enough of them, and i should buy more....

I'm running 5 UNITS - 4x400 and 1x700w = 2,300w in a 5x5!!

If i had any more of these units in there i'd have to stick them to the walls.

Again, thanks for the offer, but i'd rather keep this thread separate in the hope for some impartial advice at some stage. The Marshydro thread seems to be more of a cult gathering than an informative place for balanced opinions.

Cheers.

Hi Doozy, the possible reason is due to the hanging distance, not the shortage of power. I am really sorry the lights aren't up to your expectation. As for the swap time from LED to HPS, I believe it a question which will not result in impartial advice. :love:

While I have not posted ever on this site I have been a lurker as a member for a minute and long before that I was just a lurker. I do however happen to have quite a bit of experience growing with LED tech and have done so the better part of the last 6 years.

I typically have built my own lights not sparing on the expense, but at one time was recommending to others to go with the Mars Hydro lights as it was a light that was priced at about the right price point. That said one is always hopeful that they get what they pay for and IMHO these lights are just that. There are certainly better lights on the market and there are far less lights out too for twice the money that don't do half as well.

Since I was recommending these lights based on what I had seen on this very forum and not having ever used them myself, I decided to get a pair to see for myself. I built a room to spec for 2@mars II 400's. At testing I saw that they actually drew a solid 180 watts each or 360 watts of power between the both. I set up the room I had previously run back to back with my lights so I knew going in where I should be.

I was able to pull 276 grams or .7666 GPW on a strain I typically do over a GPW with my other leds, but at pretty much 4 times the cost of my light. I guess my point being that while I agree with you in terms of won't hit a GPW, I don't really think it's fair to put the emphasis and what you were not able to achieve.

Spectrum wise they are solid, but they are what you get when you buy a LED grow light in this class.

Good LED's are not cheap and Cheap LED's are not good, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for when using the MarsII IMO, and I have grown and documented literally hundreds of strains under the tech.

I also didn't come on here to debate anyone on the subject because until one has learned how to properly train a plant for LED style of growing, it's pretty pointless to discuss what a light can and can not do.

I came here today looking to see if anyone had any info on the new 128's but apparently they are still pretty new to the scene. I have one on the way along with another brand to compare but both had to be built first.

Maybe I'll do a thread when it comes if I can figure out what I am and am not allowed to post on this forum in terms of brands.

Best of luck to you Doozy, and thank you for allowing me to speak in your thread.

Kind regards,
PJ

Back
Top Bottom