Maxsisun MF 2000 PAR Test & Review

Maxsisun

Maxsisun MF 2000 PAR Test and Review From one of our Collaborator.

The Maxsisun MF 2000 is a nice mid-size quantum board style grow light. It has great components with Samsung LM 281b+ diodes and a Mean Well Driver. It also features a remote control dimmer, thick heat sink, and a reflector. It is marketed for 4’ x 2’ or 3’ x 3’ coverage, however, it does best in a 3’ x 2’ area. It has great usable photon efficiency up to 1.89 µmol/w, and it comes at an incredible price.

They use a total of 700 diodes, which is an impressive number for a fixture this size. With a listed power draw of 230 watts, it equates to over 3 diodes per watt. Some competitive fixtures have fewer than 2 diodes per watt.

The Maxsisun MF series have aluminum reflectors, which define the look of the fixture. They look similar to other brands, but Maxsisun adds a separate heat sink. The ribbed aluminum heat sink on top of the reflector is an upgrade that prevents the diodes from getting too hot. Heat dissipation ensures a cooler operating temperature which leads to improved efficiency.

One notable feature of the MF series is the remote control. The remote control is required to adjust the dimmer. I would tether the remote to my grow tent to prevent misplacing it. It offers preset buttons for 10-100% in 10% increments. It is nice to have precise adjustments with 10 different dimming levels. As you can see in the chart below, the dimmer is accurate throughout the dimming range.

I tested the Maxsisun MF 2000 first in a 120 x 60cm (4’ x 2’) test area, which is the recommended coverage area. At a height of 38.5cm (15in), the Maxsisun MF 2000 had a maximum PPFD of 1000 µmol/m2. However, the average PPFD across the 8 square feet was only 571.1 µmol/m2. The area is just a little too large, and as a result the photon densities at both ends of the canopy are below the target threshold of 500 µmol/m2.

In the 4’ x 2’ test, the Maxsisun MF 2000 delivered a usable PPF of 411.2 µmol. I measured a power draw of 218 watts at 120 volts from the wall. That gives the MF 2000 a Usable Photon Efficiency of 1.89 µmol/w.

Prior to testing the MF 2000, I ran the Sphere test numbers that Maxsisun provides through our Grow Light Calculator. The calculator’s estimates and my measured results are within 1%. With about 411 µmol of Usable PPF, the calculator suggests a coverage area of 6.3 square feet. So, I decided to run a test in a 90 x 60cm (3’ x 2’) area.

In a 3’ x 2’ area I hung the MF 2000 at 40.5cm (16in) above the sensor and recorded the maximum PPFD at 1000 µmol/m2. The Maxsisun MF 2000 is able to fully light this space. The lowest PPFD was up at 543 µmol/m2. In this test there was an even spread of high-density light from corner to corner.

In the 3’ x 2’ test, the average PPFD is excellent at 729.8 µmol/m2. That converts to a Usable PPF of 394.1. The Usable PPF is only marginally lower than the 4’ x 2’ test. Of course, the Usable Photon Efficiency is also slightly lower, but it is still 1.81 µmol/w.

With their remote-control dimmers, both MF series fixtures will also work great for seedlings, clones and mothers. The MF 2000 can power a 4’ x 2’ tent through to a good harvest, but it will perform the best in a somewhat smaller space. If you want to fully light a 4’ x 2’ tent, I would consider running both an MF 2000 and an MF 1000 side by side. That set up would give incredible coverage, efficiency, and flexibility.

The most impressive statistic is the cost efficiency.

Hello @Maxsisun !

Great breakdown there.
Would love to see a similar breakdown for the PB4000.

I work with 4' X 4' X 6' tents and think they would fill my space really well. Be interested if they could push my ladies that bit further
IMG_20211129_205618.jpg

These are my ladies currently. I'll be splitting them up into 2 tents in a week's time.

I would love to be giving the opportunity to see the benefits of the light giving it maximum effort and having a hopeful maximum yield pick me pick me

Back
Top Bottom