Mr.GrowitAll- GREENHOUSE SEED CO. SATIVA/INDICA COLORED MIX A/LOWRIDER 2 x AK-47-2009

Re: Mr.GrowitAll- GREENHOUSE SEED CO. SATIVA/INDICA COLORED MIX A/LOWRIDER 2 x AK-47-

Pan: Your kind words and wisdom are much appriciated.:adore: thanks for stopping by.

L8- appriciate the +rep, Its been easy so far. Just waiting for my thai super skunk to show me somthing. how long does it usually take? im assuming every strain is diffrent?? :peace:

Re: Mr.GrowitAll- GREENHOUSE SEED CO. SATIVA/INDICA COLORED MIX A/LOWRIDER 2 x AK-47-

yeah it depends! i noticed sex on mine like a week and a half into 12/12

well its been 9 days and no balls yet so i think im on the right track. :cheer:
hopefully i will see somthing in the next few days.:popcorn:

yea dont worry the plants will let you know their sex one day no balls the next lots of little ones lol! but if you dont see any yet then good sign!

haha well hopefully that dosent happen. i am seeing what seems to be pistols but like i said that could just be a leaf that hasnt fully developed yet. time will tell.. i will post pics when i see somthing exciting. thanks for your imput L8

how long does it usually take? im assuming every strain is diffrent?? :peace:

yeah it depends! i noticed sex on mine like a week and a half into 12/12

Depends a lot on the age (maturity) of the plant. Most plants will show their sex before they are switched to 12:12 if they are mature - have gone to staggered nodes. They will also be much quicker at actively flowering than an immature plant will.

I always got the feeling that the plant had to reach "sexual" maturity before actually flowering and if it happened before 12:12 then they'd go right to flower production but if they hadn't gotten to that point then they would continue to "age" until it had reached that point and then get down to the business of flower production.

I could of course be wrong.

get yourself some good bloom nutes right away. the ratio of p-n-k helps the plant go into flower more quickly.

i like fox farms formulas because i like the organic taste. . and because it produces well enough for me. fox farms dirt schedule uses 2 tsp. of tiger bloom every week of flower. I am using the solubles too. not sure if the beasty bloomez did much, but the cha ching looks like its doing a good job. open sesame is to trigger early flowering sequence. i didn't start mine until 2 weeks into 12/12 so i didn't really get to use it.

i usually dont have any burn problems with these nutes.

gl, nice job so far.

i am so surprised that your plants are as big as they are with no nutes whatsoever yet. i always start a feeding schedule in week 2 from seed, week one from clone after i see roots.

looking good though, so i dont know. lol.

TorturedSoul- thanks for stopping by, I believe that it was mature enough to start flowering when i did so. We should know somthing real soon. If this plant is female i will be extremely happy. but if male i will collect pollen and do a cross and come up with a bad ass name for my own strain. hahahah

Wheelo- I will be sure to get some bloom nutes asap for the skunk. I did somemore research on the nutes and it would be wise to use the bigbloom/tigerbloom together. would i be ok with just the BB? I will also use the solubles as i can afford them. lol
Thanks alot, im also supprised at how far a little bat guano and earthworm castings go.
OH yea.. would it be possible for me to take a clone from the Thai Skunk, as its already flowering??

If you are planning on developing your own strain... you need to cross them up to 5 times as to stabilize your new strain. You want something consistent that will give you the same or similar results in the plants.

Well i will have to do more research on how to stabilize it but it will be of greenhouse genetics so you know it will be nice. :cheer:
who knows it could be on the menu at that dispensery you and hippie are tlkn about.. :ganjamon:

dank, forget the males, go to my thread and see how to make true fem seeds. also why do you think you have to cross them to stabilize them? if you were breeding certain genes into or out of the strain i would see why you have to back cross. . . to eliminate or encourage a specific gene. But just to get a new strain from two already good strains, i don't see what back crossing would do if you wern't trying to manipulate the genes. i mean there will be different phenos but they should all be good if the parents are good.

Mr.GIA, yeah, yeah i use big bloom too, just left it out. you'll get a schedule from the hydro store when you buy the nutes. just follow the directions and you'll be good.

also you can flower your plant pretty much anytime you want, even from day one. . . but if you want fully potent and mature cannibinoids (is that spelled right? lol.) thc, etc. etc. the plant will demonstrate that its ready when it starts alternating its nodes instead of having double nodes. i think thats the point torturedsoul was making.

i'm sure it'll be awesome anyways, even when flowered early as long as it has good genetics.

DankMe: I think that would be a great idea, and the place would always be busy. The thought of creating my own strain is pretty cool. Im thinking about ordering up some jack herer mix seeds for my next grow. a jack cross is guranteed to be killer. which bank do you use?

Wheelo:I will go check out your thread. and i was thinking the same thing. if you have 2 good parents everything will be cool?? and plus i got a hella of alot to learn before i start up my lab in here. I picked up the schedule with the guy in the top hat a few days ago. And yes the thai was pretty mature and its a indica/sativa mix mostly sativa and this thing is gonna take 12-14 weeks to flower. i think if i were to let it veg any longer it could get to tall for my space, by the time its finished. i asked earlier... is it possible to take a clone from a plant thats flowering? would that stress it too much or what?

dank, forget the males, go to my thread and see how to make true fem seeds.

They put that post into its own sticky thread yet?

also why do you think you have to cross them to stabilize them? if you were breeding certain genes into or out of the strain i would see why you have to back cross. . . to eliminate or encourage a specific gene. But just to get a new strain from two already good strains, i don't see what back crossing would do if you wern't trying to manipulate the genes. i mean there will be different phenos but they should all be good if the parents are good.

Many seedbank strains are Fn hybrids, aren't they? I would think that when you cross two different strains, especially ones that are of hybrid stock that may have various recessive traits that haven't shown in the parent generation, that your first (few) generations would be "all over the place" and if someone is wanting to produce seeds for market they would probably want to be able to get something stable enough that there is at least a better than even chance that your customer can get phenotypes that match the advertisement/description instead of a free-for-all.

also you can flower your plant pretty much anytime you want, even from day one. . . but if you want fully potent and mature cannibinoids (is that spelled right? lol.) thc, etc. etc. the plant will demonstrate that its ready when it starts alternating its nodes instead of having double nodes. i think thats the point torturedsoul was making.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. You have great skills at translating FUBAR into English lol.

i'm sure it'll be awesome anyways, even when flowered early as long as it has good genetics.

There are varying degrees of awesomeness?

And yes the thai was pretty mature and its a indica/sativa mix mostly sativa and this thing is gonna take 12-14 weeks to flower. i think if i were to let it veg any longer it could get to tall for my space, by the time its finished. i asked earlier... is it possible to take a clone from a plant thats flowering? would that stress it too much or what?

Bend it over, tie it down, LST the F out of it as early as possible and keep doing it lol. There's no rule that says you have to let a tall plant grow UP. Do it like mom used to do those viney houseplants - grow it around every wall in your (grow) room if need be. It can be the "guard" for the indica lassies in your harem.:ganjamon:

tor,

i see your point about stabilizing certain phenotypes for seedbanks, i was just thinking for your own garden, that's not important.

also, i'm not really sure "all over the place" is vey accurate. I'm not a professional breeder or anything (yet), so i could be missing something, but recessive genes are called that for a reason, right? just like if a black person and a blond white person have children, it's not very likely that any of their offspring will have blond hair. although it is true that for a very small population some kids do have blond hair and look ethnically white. and some will look all black. but most will look mulatto. (i hope this analogy doesn't offend anyone, lol.)

Similarly, if a nice skunk meets a beautiful young hash plant, there will be some that look more skunk and some that look more hash, but kinda like the good old bell curve most of them should be a similar mix somewhere in the middle.

if you inbreed or backcross i guess you eliminate more and more outliers to "stabilize" it. i always thought that you have to backcross mostly if you are trying to enourage a trait that is one of the outliers. like if one female shows super copius resin production, and you breed her, if that gene is recessive than you have to keep breeding those few offspring that show that same trait untill the more dominant crappier gene is bread out.

oh, and mr. gia,

you can take a clone whenever, some people say its not good, but it works still, so its better than losing the strain. the sooner the better. it is completely possible though. i've done it, also after you flower, if you leave the bottom 10-15% you can just turn the light back to 16 hours light and new branches will grow right out of the small buds on the branches that you left. a month or so later, you can start flower again and get a second harvest. its not the best producer, but sometimes, if you have nothing in the works when you flower cycle is over, it is worth it!

gl.

It's a Breed-for-All (+REPs to Ted Nugent)

i see your point about stabilizing certain phenotypes for seedbanks, i was just thinking for your own garden, that's not important.

Agreed - most of the time. There's a lot to be said for variety and hybrid vigor.

also, i'm not really sure "all over the place" is vey accurate.

Point taken, probably not the best choice of words. But still and all, if one's goal is to produce (and sell) thousands of seeds, and the internet being what it is, and the old saw about how if a person is happy they tell ten people but if they're NOT they tell 100 people... I would think that the more consistent the beans are, the better.

recessive genes are called that for a reason, right? just like if a black person and a blond white person have children, it's not very likely that any of their offspring will have blond hair. although it is true that for a very small population some kids do have blond hair and look ethnically white. and some will look all black. but most will look mulatto. (i hope this analogy doesn't offend anyone, lol.)

Well, it's been a long time since school and Mendel's peas and all of that so I could easily be misremembering. The only thing that I'm positive about where hair is concerned is that when old corpses are dug up, the hair that has grown since they have been buried is usually red (don't ask, lol).

Umm... And blonde hair is kind of a complicated example to use because the genetics for it are (were) still not entirely understood. It has been postulated that there are two "hair-color" genes. A brown/blonde (a dominant brown allele and a recessive blonde allele). Someone with a brown allele will have brown hair while a person with no brown alleles will be blonde. Thus, two brown-haired parents can produce a blonde-haired child. The other gene is the red/not-red one, with the not-red allele being dominant. So a person would have to have two red alleles to have red hair and the brown/blonde gene would determine the shade.

But that doesn't allow for all the different shades of the various hair colors lol so there are most likely other genes at work in the process, or else that theory is completely wrong lol. In any event, hair color is probably not a Mendelian trait.

But, assuming for the sake of simplicity that there was only ONE gene at work here (a false assumption, but a convenient one), your blonde lady would have to have both blonde (and so, no brown) alleles in order to be a natural blonde (which we will assume is the case). Her husband, OTOH, could have two brown alleles, or only one and still be brown-haired. That is the nature of dominant/recessive genes.

So... I can't think of a good way to draw out the squares in a message. Hmm... Let's see... If the husband had both brown alleles, the possible offspring would run to all four being Bb - "hybrid," all brown-haired but all carrying the recessive blonde gene." If he had one brown and one blonde allele, it would run Bb, Bb, bb, bb - two brown-haired offspring (but each carrying one recessive blonde alleles), and two blonde-haired ones (each carrying both blonde alleles, of course).

So... I have forgotten my point lolol. Mmmm, blonde hash.

Sorry. Anyway, so you would end up with a bunch of babies I mean seeds and depending on the male plant's err... hair color, your F1 generation might all have brown hair - and using the "one gene" model, in that case they would all have the same set of gene pairs, Bb, meaning that their offspring if interbred would tend to be 25% Brown (BB), 50% Brown (Bb), and 25% Blonde (bb). So, if you KNEW that the husband, err... male parent plant was Brown (BB), you could advertise your seeds as producing Brown-haired plants. But since that's impossible to guess, you would have to say that your seeds would grow mostly brown-haired plants with about a 25% possibility of getting a blonde-haired one. <SHRUGS> It would be better to back-cross several times if the brown-haired plant trait was the desirable one so that you didn't have a few (or a bunch) of unlucky people posting on the internet that all of their plants were blonde-haired and that you were a rip-off for selling them crappy blonde-haired seeds at brown-hair prices.

And that is assuming that you were shooting for brown-haired plants. If you were attempting to produce seeds that grew blonde-haired ones, it becomes just a trifle more involved, yes?

Eyes glazed over yet lol? Ok, consider this: Just as hair-color is probably not a Mendelian trait - that is to say that there are undoubtedly more than one set of gene pairs at work in determining the offspring's color, so are many plant traits also not Mendelian. When you are attempting to breed for certain of those traits...

Further: As a seed breeder, are you only concerned with breeding for a certain hair color? Of course not! You want to produce brown- (or blonde-)haired plants that are potent, tasty (and how many different terpines are there in an MJ plant again?), a certain size, stature, flowering period, and then there's the complex set of characteristics that we call "affect," etc.

Hmm? Oh, and I probably ought to mention that it is entirely possible that one of those non-Mendelian traits that are important to you (that are determined by several genes) just might be interrelated with another trait that you consider important (IOW, one or more of the genes that make up say the hair-color might also play a part in the other trait - or in several others).

I don't believe the sole purpose of back-crossing (and occasionaly breeding different generations or even completely different stock along the way) is to stabilize the offspring. It is also the process by which one creates a naturally short & bushy sativa that flowers in 10 weeks, refuses to go hermie no matter how many times the reservoir runs dry / someone opens the cabinet during the dark cycle / the breaker blows and the light cycle is delayed / the timer was made in China / too hot / too cold / etc., has reddish-gold bud tints, tastes like a Cherry-Coke, smells like Gonesh #8 Incense, will keep you awake as long as you continue smoking it (getting you higher and higher along the way), causing your brain to run at Mach II the entire time, and culminating in a rather trippy experience with extremely colorful closed-eye visuals - and then stabilizes ALL of those traits to such a degree that you not only see them all in the same plant, but you have a fairly good chance of getting a few in each "pack of ten beans." (Unfortunately, nobody seems to have created this strain - yet - but I'm not giving up hope lmfao.)

Now, like you said, when breeding for our personal gardens, things are a lot less stressed for the amateur breeder. He/she picks out his favorite females - or all of them even. And since often the male is chosen by its managing to be the one that didn't get ground up and thrown on the compost pile lol, one goes to town pollinating the girls. Or one might have several males, each of a different strain, and then one would probably want to try different combination with each and take care to keep track of which branch on which female was pollinated with which male (and being careful all the while not to cross-contaminate). OR, one might actually pick the best male based on physical growth characteristics, quickness in showing sex, or even visible potency clues (trichome production).

And since it is the females that we tend to actually sample from, your post about sex reversal has its place in all of this - we can keep clones from all the girls and reverse the "best" ones (or do so to revegetated females after the harvest, although with nutrient flushing coming into play this is less certain to be successful).

But the natural males have their place in a breeding program, if only to remind the girl plants that there is a benefit to their being on this planet.:ganjamon:

Similarly, if a nice skunk meets a beautiful young hash plant, there will be some that look more skunk and some that look more hash, but kinda like the good old bell curve most of them should be a similar mix somewhere in the middle.

if you inbreed or backcross i guess you eliminate more and more outliers to "stabilize" it. i always thought that you have to backcross mostly if you are trying to enourage a trait that is one of the outliers. like if one female shows super copius resin production, and you breed her, if that gene is recessive than you have to keep breeding those few offspring that show that same trait untill the more dominant crappier gene is bread out.

Yes, sort of. But never forget that the cannabis plant is not just one gene, one trait, but a myriad of them - and again, not every trait is determined by one gene (and that different traits may well share some of the genes that you are concerned with).

Hmm. I rambled just a little bit I suppose but you probably get my point.

Oh, and :thanks: for giving my brain a little exercise!

[EDIT: Luckily, it is pretty much accepted that if one buys seeds from a seedbank and crosses them with each other, they will not necessarily be like their parents - unless they are "true-breeding" ones. Kind of like trying to grow out plants from the seeds that you saved from that perfect store-bought fruit lol.]

Hello everyone.. Its Mr.GrowitALL back again with an update!! its been 4 weeks from seed and all the plants are doing fine. I ran out of soil during the transplant last week, so my Hawaiian Snow, Lemon Skunk, and Arjans Haze spent a few extra days in the 18oz cups. the "rusty" spots returned to the lower leaves of my H.S but after the transplant the new growth looks great. You can deffiently tell that the Giga Bud and Great White Shark are alot bigger. They were transplanted 4 days earlier. Its all good tho, I have been feeding 3tbs per gallon FFGB, twice a week. for a week and a half. They seem to be taking it up nicely. More Good News, My Lowryder2xAK-47 is showing her sex pistols. they are to transparent to see with the camera but, its like small peices of fishing line coming out. i was pretty excited when i noticed last week. Thai Super Skunk is showing her Sativa genetics. she grew almost 5 inches this week. It is now almost "20 tall, and still no signs of sex. no pollen sacks or pistols. from what I hear it could take awhile.. Thanks everyone for stopping by. Hopefully next week we will know the sex of this Thai Super Skunk.. Well here are some pics from about 10 min ago. enjoy...

Hawaiian Snow: Suffered the worst from the extended stay in the solo cup. but is bouncing back like last time.
ghs_grow_024.jpg

ghs_grow_025.jpg

Lemon Skunk: Living up to her name.
ghs_grow_028.jpg

ghs_grow_029.jpg

Great White Shark: shes gettin so damn bushy i dont see how the lower leaves will get light.
ghs_grow_026.jpg

ghs_grow_027.jpg

Arjans Strawberry Haze: Still recovering from the cup, but looking pretty good. kinda droopy after the first drink of the week.
ghs_grow_039.jpg

ghs_grow_040.jpg

Giga Bud: I will start taking some clones sometime next week when i get money for supplies. tips needed on how to do it properly!! Freebie seed putting them to shame.
ghs_grow_030.jpg

ghs_grow_031.jpg

Lowrider 2 x AK-47: starting flowering last week. if you look close you can see them.
ghs_grow_032.jpg

ghs_grow_033.jpg

Thai Super Skunk: day 16 of flowering. 20 inches tall and looking beautiful.
ghs_grow_034.jpg

ghs_grow_035.jpg

ghs_grow_036.jpg
\

I recently had a conversation with my mom about my lighting issues, and what i need to get this up and going strong. She suffers from Restless Leg Syndrome. (RLS) so she is gonna finance me a Air Cooled HPS. and possibly a small grow tent, hoping to get some good meds in return. So by the time these babies are ready to flower things are gonna get a little more professional around here. Thanks everyone for stopping by. Cloning advice needed. :smokin::popcorn::slide:

cool, i will be sure to check it out. i dont think i will need room for 23, maybe just 10 at a time. thats awesome dude, how long ago did you plant it? hopefully i will yeild at least a Oz from the LR2. thanks for checking out the grow;)

Back
Top Bottom