My clone story - pictorial - taken early, done cheap and successful

I replied to a thread earlier about "how early can you clone" I had just taken some clones from plants that were only 33 days old. I have found that while you can be successful it pays to keep them on the plant longer because they root faster with larger leaves ... so if you are in hurry don't be, the clones I took later rooted 5 days earlier!!! So far I have had 100% success (knocking on wood) with even the tiniest earliest clone. I attribute this success to a cheap plastic housing and my secret clone weapon "The Misty Mate" LOL

I get peat pellets ready with lukewarm water. I cut open the top of the expanded pellet and drive a hole right down the middle. I dump a good thick drop or three of the clone gel right in the hole. I clip and trim as per all the instructions here, mostly... I use a scissors and I don't "fray" the cut. I get a good amount of gel on the stem and pop it in the pellet and gel already there. I carefully push peat around the stem to "seal" it. Then on the tray they go.

I don't have a heating pad. I just have a little plastic tray with clear cover and air vents all around. The real secret to my 100% success is not heat ... its cold. I take this "thing" called a "MistyMate" (It is meant to carry around in the heat as a personal mister to cool yourself off , they work great for that by the way) Each time I mist the plants (at least twice a day, look at them often!!!!) I completely empty the mister and fill it with very cold water. The plants get a nice cool mist while I tell them how nice they look ... they love it.

Any way since I had taken the 1st clones it was 17 days for the tiniest clone taken on day 33 from HB to show roots through the pellet (that is when they get planted) clones I had taken earlier with more substantial leaf systems rooted much quicker ... like 5-7 days rather than 17!!!!!!

Here are two of the plants at a month when I took the first clones

DSC_5671_sm.jpg

clones taken early and small

DSC_5662_clone_tray.jpg

clones from #1 of Buck's surprise

DSC_5664_no1_clones.jpg

The tiniest clone taken on the right ... really tiny

DSC_5665_hb_clones.jpg

This was the HB plant

DSC_5668_hb.jpg

Secret weapon

DSC_5947_mistymate.jpg

#1 showing roots

DSC_5837_rootsno1.jpg

smallest hb clone after 17 days next to the shot 17 days ago

DSC_5665_hb_clone_after17days.jpg

#1 clone planted

DSC_5938_no1cloneplanted.jpg

The tray today with new and old

DSC_5946_hbrootsfinally17days.jpg

I hope you enjoyed ...

Re: My clone story (pictorial) taken early, done cheap and successful

Thanks Ganjahoarder ... it really does the trick.

PS don't hoard it ... pass it over!! :-D

Wow! What a fantastic post Buckshot!
You have given me a great idea for an experiment!
I topped a 4 week old seedling, then used something called Stim-Root #1, and planted it straight into a grow pot with regular soil.
I made up a plastic "dome" to cover the pot, and have been using a mist bottle to keep the leaves and the dome moistened.
I had no idea you could clone with such small cuttings, but you have shown us the proof, thank you for your great info.
Here is the clone, 4 days after planting and looking good so far.
clone_4days_001.jpg

Do you think this will work?
I will definitely be looking for one of those secret weapons!

Hey Buckshot, I am also very curious about the "single leaf" cuttings you are trying to clone. How are they doing? What happens with them, since there is no "central" new growth stem, if you get my drift? Thanks!

Wow! What a fantastic post Buckshot!
You have given me a great idea for an experiment!
I topped a 4 week old seedling, then used something called Stim-Root #1, and planted it straight into a grow pot with regular soil.
I made up a plastic "dome" to cover the pot, and have been using a mist bottle to keep the leaves and the dome moistened.
I had no idea you could clone with such small cuttings, but you have shown us the proof, thank you for your great info.
Here is the clone, 4 days after planting and looking good so far.
clone_4days_001.jpg

Do you think this will work?
I will definitely be looking for one of those secret weapons!

Yes it will work! If you keep it misted and covered it should work just fine ... your problem will be how to know the root system took off and it is ready to come out from the dome. Depending on heat .... 1-3 weeks.

Good Luck FoxMulder

Hey Buckshot, I am also very curious about the "single leaf" cuttings you are trying to clone. How are they doing? What happens with them, since there is no "central" new growth stem, if you get my drift? Thanks!

I did not keep them ... I should have. They did develop a root system and I think they would have grown ... but they took 3 times the time it took to root a proper cutting and they were taking up precious space.

I will again note that although the very young cuttings grow they take much more time and effort to keep going.

Thanks for the posts Foxmulder

I hope you will post back in a couple weeks and show your baby girl

I think it is working! it has been a little over two weeks now, and it is definitely taller, and new growth looks like it it starting in the center. I removed the humidity dome today. I will post a picture here when it reaches 3 weeks old. i have 4 other toppings now planted and domed from two different mothers. See what you've started...lol! Fascinating and lots of fun, thanks again. Keep on misting!

I think it is working! it has been a little over two weeks now, and it is definitely taller, and new growth looks like it it starting in the center. I removed the humidity dome today. I will post a picture here when it reaches 3 weeks old. i have 4 other toppings now planted and domed from two different mothers. See what you've started...lol! Fascinating and lots of fun, thanks again. Keep on misting!

Cool! I am limited in the # of plants I can grow and had 1 more female show than I had room for so I chopped her up for clones and just chucked them in a pot and put them all back 18/6 so I am also trying it. I have lost 1 so it is not quite as effective ... but it is working!

Good Luck

Well, it looks like I failed on my first cloning attempt. I think I took the humidity dome off too soon (16 days), it was looking fine until then. Here she is, turned pale as a ghost and looking like a goner after 21 days...
clone_B1_3wks_001.jpg

Here is my second cloning attempt, from a different parent, after 14 days. Looks fine, but I will keep the humidity dome on for another week with this one.
clone_D1_2wks_002.jpg

I realize that cloning directly to soil isn't the best way, but it is all I can do with limited resources right now, and it is fun and interesting to see if I can do it!

FoxMulder

Do that plant a favor and with a scissors cut off those yellow ends. I am not sure why it works but your plant will LOVE it.

Looking really good … Mine are coming along too. I have to take some pics, I will do it tomorrow when I do the big feeding and post em’ It turns out that they are called “flowering clones” and are said to have special branching characteristics, time will tell on that.

Back to cutting the baby clones… I had one that looked like the dying one above, I clipped it and Wham it started to grow like crazy (after weeks of doing jack squat) so don’t be shy cut off those dead ends and that plant will POP!

Good Luck ... it is going to work!

Well, it looks like I failed on my first cloning attempt. I think I took the humidity dome off too soon (16 days), it was looking fine until then. Here she is, turned pale as a ghost and looking like a goner after 21 days...
clone_B1_3wks_001.jpg

Here is my second cloning attempt, from a different parent, after 14 days. Looks fine, but I will keep the humidity dome on for another week with this one.
clone_D1_2wks_002.jpg

I realize that cloning directly to soil isn't the best way, but it is all I can do with limited resources right now, and it is fun and interesting to see if I can do it!

First post on site but i've been around the grow culture many years,

Foxmulder even with little resources you can still grow roots on your cutting before putting in the medium.

A few tips to help you.

1. always cut at a 45 degree angle, years ago i never did and my cutting still took but it does help!

2. lightly scrap the stalk to damage the top tissue where you want your roots.

3. always cut large leafs in half ie take whole tips off each leaf

4. if you cant find/afford jiffy pellets or root riots and clone gel etc then plain water or light nute mix in a cup will do. Just get some party cups (foam type) stick two cocktail stick in it to hold your cutting off the bottom. fill 50% with your water or light nute mix and cover with a clear cup with holes punched in it.

It takes 2 1/2 - 3 weeks to get roots with just water in a cup, faster with nutes/heat/clone gel etc. remove and plant to your soil once you see roots.

If you have access to a willow tree even better! boil some stems up and use the resulting liquid as your rooting hormone for the party cups.

People have grown plants with nothing but what you can find in nature for thousands of years

buckshot great clones dude, for your info single leaf clones will grow more nodes but since it has only a few nutes in that single leaf it does take FOREVER to root and grow to something useable, thats why bigger cuttings normally root/grow faster

Fantastic advice and ideas everyone. I will trim off the leaf tips right away. The cups and water idea sounds very interesting, you can watch the roots grow! And willow tree stems, I had no idea, but it makes sense. Those buggers grow and spread out like wildfire at my cottage. I have learned so much since I joined this forum, thanks buckshot and jimm.
Growing is definitely addictive.

update on the "flowering" clones

FoxMulder

Here are the tops I cut and just put in a pot. I have them covered and misted

DSC_6478_all.jpg

the top

DSC_6481_top.jpg

remember those tiny clones up there?

Here is the biggest

DSC_6489_bgcln.jpg

another

DSC_6488_cln.jpg

and look how mom is doing :)

DSC_6491_sm.jpg

jimm14

Nice to meet you

snip

If you have access to a willow tree even better! boil some stems up and use the resulting liquid as your rooting hormone for the party cups.

People have grown plants with nothing but what you can find in nature for thousands of years

buckshot great clones dude, for your info single leaf clones will grow more nodes but since it has only a few nutes in that single leaf it does take FOREVER to root and grow to something useable, thats why bigger cuttings normally root/grow faster

end snip

Thanks for more great information!!!!

wow. those tiny toppings grew up amazing buckshot. And the mom is one of the most beautiful plants I have seen on here. I can see how bigger and/or older cuttings have a greater chance of cloning success, and I haven't forgotten your note that small young cuttings take much more time and effort. All good things come to those who wait...and mist...

Back
Top Bottom