My First Grow - Jack Herer Auto Fem - 250W CFL

bassclef

Hi all, new to the forums, new to growing on my own(have helped friends in the past, but this is my first.) Figuring since I finally got my card, love farming, and have quite the green thumb I should get going on growing my own and enjoying the entire life cycle.

I setup a closet that I had spare that is 2.5' x 3.5' x 6' as a grow room. I don't really have the space at the moment in my house to have seperate veg and flowering rooms and since this is for personal use it will be all in one!

Walls are covered in Orca Grow Film and this stuff is just down right amazing. I've used Mylar in the past and it really doesn't hold a candle to this. The extra $20 was well worth it! The closet was a bit awkward as it was just stud and seems to have been randomly built so i did my best getting all 6 sides covered with a 25ft roll.. Defiantly could have done a better job here, but I shouldn't have any problems and i'm getting plenty of light.

I purchased a Apollo Horticulture 250w CFL and this thing is crazy bright producing near 11k lumens. Loving it and if this grow goes well with it, I plan to purchase a second to give me 500w in my closet if its not to much? The heat is perfect right now, but living in a place with no A/C in 99% of houses a bit worries in the summer when it hits high 80's. I have a portable AC i can use in the room if need be.

I put 2 Jack Herer Auto Fem's into soil on 4/24. HERE WE GO! I also have a single bag seed that I found in some unknown that a buddy gave me that I started about a week and a half ago. I know I already made some mistakes with that bag seed as I went straight from a seedling pot to a 2 gallon and probably should have stepped it up. I also added my full neut mix to it and didn't let it sit at all. A bit concerned about it as I quickly learned about over watering and the leaves began to curl down at such a small tender stage. All a learning process and so far i'm down right loving it!

I'll be growing in organic soil mix that I'm making myself since I own a micro farm and have most of the stuff on hand. Had to pickup Bat Guano, and Steamed Bonemeal.

Plan is to start seedlings in 2/1/1 Peat(canadian), Perlite, Worm Castings/Compost and then transfer into larger containers with my own soiless mix of Peat, perlite, Worm Castings, Compost, Azamite Rock Dust, Steamed Bonemeal, Dollamite Lime, Mycorrzial, Bat Guano, and a bit of gypsum.(i think this is everything don't have the entire list in front of me.)

I've been mixing it 2/1/1 and adding the neuts based on the bags. I created a couple pots and am letting them sit while the babies go for the next couple weeks in their current pots.

Anything I am missing that I should consider adding?

2015-04-25_12_38_06.jpg

need to find a couple more dishes to sit my plants in. Sharing one atm!

Can't wait to see how those badboys(actually, hopefully girls) fill out!!

Me either, JH loves to stretch, hoping I can fit two in comfortably! All new room, everything is fresh I'm expecting this to go about as bad as it can the first time till I figure everything out.. It's a lot different helping someone and having them tell you what to do, and making all the decisions on your own.

I'm actually a bit conserned that the soil is to hot for that bag seed. Seeing those types of signs, but I don't want to make any rash decisions. So i'm gonna let the soil continue to dry out then if things haven't gotten better soon and it pushes through what appears to possibly be either hot soil or nitrogen toxicity.. I'm not to sure yet.. I don't want to start trying a bunch of stuff till i'm sure.. starting simple with the overwatering, but the first set of jagged leaves are starting to yellow and look as if they're drying out..

Either way i learned a lot with just a little sapling so far and it was bag seed so no harm no foul :).. Ready to go for the JH.

You could try flushing it really well with some plain ph'd water just to get any nutes out that were already in the soil. If you top them and really bush them out they will fit well in there :) you could add a screen/trellis like 6-8" under the light to ensure they never get too close to the light and let them bush out like crazy :D

Made some adjustments to my room. Cleaned up the cabling and moved the fan to the back corner out of the way.. had to get an extension cord. Also added some photos of the troubles i'm facing with my newly transplanted seedling. I probably moved it into the full strength soil way to early I learned, and what I thought was over watering actually appears to be something like Nitrogen Toxicity or Hot soil I think? Any help appreciated.

Nothing showing for the JH yet, but that's to be expected.. I uploaded some photo's but can't seem to get to them.. The My Photos button isn't working =/

so after a bunch of research I think I am pretty sure what is going on is light stress..

this looks pretty close to what was happening.. going to try pulling the lights away a bit and see how we do from there! It's late now, but this seems to be what's happening. There is some fresh growth on top which looks good so it seems to be doing ok other than that. Here's to hoping we got it dialed in now!

Didn't realize we couldn't post links to other sites in the journals.. kind of lame, but I get it I guess.. maybe there is a reasoning other than trying to keep people on this site that I'm not aware of.

This morning there is more new growth on my unknown bag seed. I've pulled the light away a bit about 12-14" away now and we'll see if the yellowing and burning stops spreading beyond those first leaves. So far so good!

I gave all the plants some water yesterday evening before bed around 10pm, just before lights out. Currently on 18/6 and they come on at 6am and go off at midnight. In the beginning I made the normal noob mistake of watering a bit each day. I've started watering now until it runs out the bottom and don't water again until the soil is dry.

It's amazing how touch and go these guys are considering it is a weed! I've grown quite a bit over the years, but this is something else entirely! So much fun, loving learning about these little magical trees and how they tell you exactly what they are feeling.

I picked up some greensand to add to my supersoil mixture yesterday when getting some new tray's and some 3 gallon pots.

Still nothing poking its head out from the ground on the JH. I'll feel better when they do!

I need to find a fan I can clip to the wall up high and get it out of the way. Was unable to find one locally.

A little update!

Jack Herer Day #5 still no sign of breaking ground yet :( can't wait to meet you!

Bag Seed Day #14 or so(not exactly sure) and it's finally starting to come around.. I removed the burned bottom finger leaves and the next set of leaves has started to burn a bit, however they're not looking near as droopy and its starting to really grow! So, I've got a handle on my over watering I believe. I even see what might be the beginning of some pistols?! If someone could confirm for me that would be great, but it's probably to early i'd guess.. Maybe it's balls I really do not know.

my plan for the bag seed is to veg it until the JH starts to flower and then flower it at the same time(should it be a girl.)

As far as the burn, I made supersoil so I think I just gotta let it push through this early phase and baby it along till it can handle the nutes in the soil. Not much I can do there. I wish some educated brothers & sisters would stop by and give me some pointers!

2015-04-28_06_57_11.jpg

2015-04-28_06_57_49.jpg

2015-04-28_07_01_43.jpg

The ladies are doing better than ever and the droopyness of Random Bag Seed(forever known as Guelah's Papyrus) is all but gone. The burning doesn't seem to be getting to much worse and everything else about the little one is really starting to flourish.

Jack Herer #1 is starting to spread its wings and I can see its first true leaves poking their head out. Jack Herer #2 still hasn't shown itself.

When I woke up this morning my temps in the closet were 60 degrees and 58% RH. It's still cold here at night(probably mid 30's). During the day its running about spot on at the moment(78F 40-50RH), but considering we heat with wood, and don't have A/C's here(never reaches over 90F very often) i'm a bit concerned with controling temps. I have a space heater for winter and a portable AC for summer on the super hot days. We'll see how it goes!

Still highly impressed with the Orca Grow film.. almost blinding when I open the box.

Obligatory daily photos. Really happy with how Guelah is coming around.
2015-04-29_06_09_59.jpg

2015-04-29_06_09_03.jpg

Looking pretty good brother.

ok, so with the bag seed, it definitely looks like your burned it, but it seems like it is pulling through just fine. So all good there.

With CFL's you can actually get them pretty close to an established plant without cause issues. i would drop your light down to about 6".

I don't have an experience with organic soils, so I can't really help you there. SweetSue is a member here that could certainly help you out though.

The best way to gain attention to your journal is by being active in other members journals. That way people see your signature and can check your journal out directly. Journals get lost very quickly on the Journals in Progress page since so many are frequently updated.

hey dan thanks for stopping by with some knowledge! very much appreciated. Good to know, I had already dropped the light since my last post to about that so we're good there! I've been reading through Sue's blog so hopefully she'll stop by and give me some soil pointers :)

I mixed up some more supersoil recently and its cooking while everything Veg's. As far as the hot soil, I def learned my lesson about transplanting to early into that hot soil. I mistook over watering in the beginning for needing to be transplanted and the little guy really just needed to dry out. All lessons learned, glad I learned it on a bag seed :) Although it was a very enjoyable bud grown outdoors by my buddy in Mendo. Smoking the last nug, I scored a seed and here it is.

I'm going to grow the JH out much longer in the smaller 6" pots until its ready to be dropped into the super soil. Then I may either do a plug or fill the bottom 2/3rds of the pot with supersoil and the top 1/3 with peat/compost/wormcastings/perlite mixture so it grows into it(learned these from watching School of Dank w/ Subcool himself.)

Love this community i've learned so much already and I'm a pretty good gardener, but this is a whole other animal. I own a micro farm(chickens, turkeys, pigs, huge 4x8x12(x8) raised beds) the works :)

We've been building a mean compost pile the past couple of years, but it's still to frozen to get at.. One giant ice block so won't be using it for awhile in my grows.

Can you tell me a bit about what i'm looking at in one of my earlier posts is that a node spot or are those tiny pistols coming out? Seems a bit young to be able to tell sex, so I'm looking for any tips on that.

Thanks so much
:Namaste:

Sounds good brother!!

Those are just nodal growths starting to form. Pistils won't show for a while. If it's a photo plant (most likely) then it won't show sex until after you flip your lighting to 12/12, but sometimes you can tell sex before if it's a long vegetation. Since you don't know if your bag seed is male or female and you don't want it effing up your JH ladies, I would take a cutting of it and root it like a clone, then switch it to 12/12 lighting on its own so it shows you the sex before you switch the lighting of the main plant. That way if it's a male, you can toss it without any risk of pollination.

Good morning my 420 brothers and sisters. My daily Update.

Guelah has stopped spreading the burn and its not getting any worse that I can tell on the lowest set of fan leaves.. EXCELLENT! The most exciting news is it now has 3 nodes! Is it time to top or should I wait for a 4th? Really put on some growth in the past 24hrs too!

2015-04-30_06_10_58.jpg

Jack Herer #1 is showing some nice growth in the last day.. Cute little girl! Jack Herer #2 is no where to be found and I'm starting to feel she's not gonna sprout :( How much longer should I give her?

2015-04-30_06_12_42.jpg

Not much more to show today, hopefully I get a few more people stopping in to keep me company here. It's starting to get lonely, but I'll keep on keepin on!

How long since you put JH#2 into the soil? Did you soak first?

I wouldn't top yet. Wait til it has 3 full sets of leaves, so 4 nodes. Then you can micro top if you want to. I waited until 5 nodes, and then topped down at the 3rd, so the new nodes that would become the mains were already well formed.

People will come. Just keep staying active on the site in journals, FAQ's and Contests and you will gain attention.

Back
Top Bottom