My First Grow - Jack Herer Auto Fem - 250W CFL

I would have tried to help out too, but I haven't experienced any similar problems as my water has been good and my soil has been good with micros. When I first started I checked my run off every watering and it was at 6.5 every time, so I haven't look at PH in 4 years. Sounds like you may have found the solution, but the one thing I've learned is it takes time for the solution to start to work. There was one grow I followed where the guy had a problem with too low PH and he kept adding stuff to raise it, but it didn't seem to be working until a week or so later it started kicking in and it went much smoother after that. The flush and good water may start helping in a few more days.

Jack Herrer Day #30 Update

Hi all, been a awhile but I wanted to get my issues under control before posting anything again. Lots of happenings though, have not been slacking! I've transplanted both plants into their final 3 gallon pots, as well started planning for future grows. I've become infatuated with LOS growing and have started to accumulate my needed goodies. Once this grow is over I will be running two 10 gallon LOS pots in my grows. I picked up a couple of pots today for $3.99 on sale.. Anyone used these Hydro something pots before?

0524151606.jpg

I also started my own vermicomposter. Always looking for ways to recycle I decided on this flow through design. Simple and effective. I cut the bottom out of a trash can, and I had some wire shelving that I cut to fit in the bottom. Covered with a layer of newspaper, then some really good local cow manure compost, after that i put in some shreaded cardboard/newspaper, a layer of leaves from my brush pile from fall cleanup this spring, and then more shreaded cardboard/newspaper. I went to the local store and bought 32 trout worms(red wigglers), and ordered 200 more off the internet. I figured the 32 could begin to make it a home while i waited for more. They're $4/18 here locally for red trout worms, and the 200 were about 5 bucks online. This is all in planning for my no till LOS pots.

0523152040.jpg

Alright so now on to the plants. They're doing a lot better, but guelah isn't out of the wood works yet, but the spotting, yellowing, and dieing has slowed down drastically since I switched to watering with RO'd water and not my crappy 7.5PH water. I've also started adding 1TBSP of molasses per 1 gallon of water. The molasses I'm using has both cal+mag so I am hoping to have it squared away pretty quickly. Jack Herer has finally over come the nitrogen deficiency it was suffering through because of the PH issues and is starting to take off.. Little bummed it had so many problems to start since it's an auto flower but its my first grow so live and learn. I defoliated all the yellow dried leaves from guelah and she's looking pretty sad, dunno what will come of it, but we'll see. There is still some yellowing and spotting happening, but its much less rapid at this point. I figure it will probably just take a few weeks to right the ship or it'll die a sad death. I hope it rights itself, as it has 4 nice tops where I topped it.

I also made quite a few changes to my grow closet as well. When cleaning this weekend i found two CFL hoods that I didn't use in the chicken coop. So I grabbed a couple of 1600 lumen bulbs today and added those. Bringing my CFL lumen total to around 13,500. They'll work for this grow, by next I hope to have 1 more of the 250w that is in the hanging hood. Bringing my total to about 20k lumens.

0524151614.jpg

I guess the most exciting news is that we've hit 30 days, and almost right on schedule the JH has delivered us some pistils! at 4 weeks its roughly 10-12" tall now and over the past 4-5 days since I moved it into its final pot and watering only with RO water and molasses has really started to take off. This is suppose to be a 9 week auto so about half way home now.

0524151615.jpg

Looking good. Wouldn't hurt to add some more air/drain holes to those pots. I hung a fan similar to yours with a sheet rock screw drilled into the corner of my cabinet and twine. Tie a couple strings to the metal bar and the other ends around the sheet rock screw, then you can hang it higher. Also if you point the fan at the light bulbs the air pushes the heat back down onto the plants, may be the cause for high humidity. When you said you added lime, what kind? Lime from a tree or lime they use to balance soil, like Dolmolite?

Looking good. Wouldn't hurt to add some more air/drain holes to those pots. I hung a fan similar to yours with a sheet rock screw drilled into the corner of my cabinet and twine. Tie a couple strings to the metal bar and the other ends around the sheet rock screw, then you can hang it higher. Also if you point the fan at the light bulbs the air pushes the heat back down onto the plants, may be the cause for high humidity. When you said you added lime, what kind? Lime from a tree or lime they use to balance soil, like Dolmolite?

Dolomite but that wasn't the issue. It made it worse. The issue was high PH water from my well(i hope at least). Humidity was from the air being humid here and wet for a few days. That's since been handled as well. Humidity is usually between 40-60 lately.

Both plants today are looking the best they've looked in weeks. The new growth on the the JH is getting what I like to call "God Leaves" or "Praying Leaves" where they've got that angle where it looks like they're reaching up to the sky. Looking super healthy and vibrant. Guehlah is looking stronger today too. Seems to be greening up quite a bit where there was some yellowing from the mag def caused by nute lockout from the high PH. Feeling a bit more confident this morning.

:blushsmile: Thats really nice to hear. Im sure youll end up with some beauties.

Update: Day #33

So, I decided today to put Guelah outdoors for the remainder of its life. It was an outdoor bag seed to begin with.. Probably won't be anymore updates for awhile on it.

Now, on to what this journal was all about! JH Update! Day #33, man she has really started to come along. Gave her a watering today with molasses and she just loves it. Reaching for the sky and looking beautiful as ever. She has put on some size in the last 3 days and really started to stretch out. Seems like its growing about an inch a day at this point.

I'm hoping the next 2 weeks she really puts on some size for a good yield. She was kind of stunted from all the issues i had in the beginning. But i think she looks just beautiful today.

0527152001.jpg

0527152000a.jpg

Just made a purchase in preparations for my next grow.. picked up all the amendments and minerals for my LOS pots i'm making. Also placed an order for some beans from attitude. Picked up photo's of Cookies Kush, Pineapple Chunk, Black Skulls Jack Herer, and a free Dinafem White Widow.. My hopes is to make some bonsai mothers and have a nice little collection of bonsai's I can call on for my grows.

I also added 200 more red wigglers to my worm bins yesterday. Having my own chickens is gonna come in handy!

Good luck on the Los should be a great learning experience. Have you considered docs kit? Nice journal I'm subbed

I did consider the high brix. I decided to go with coots recipe after much deliberation. Mostly because I could source things locally and that kinda resonated with me. As he encourages that. Doc keeps his recipe close to his chest, and that makes me reliant on another person. I like to be as self sufficient as possible. I am considering some high brix though in my veggie gardens and attempting my own high brix mix based on what i've learned from reading... I've decided over the next few years, i'm going to convert my 8 4x8x12 raised beds into no till raised beds. Should be amazing!

Jack Herer Day 38

A little update! She's showing pre-flowers and pistols.. She probably has another week or so before she starts forming buds. Seed bank says this is a 9 week flowering auto which means it's probably 10 or 11 weeks. We're about around the half way point and she has grown to 15" tall. She's putting out about one new set of stems each day and growing about 1" a day at this point. Really impressive to see.

If all continue to go as she is, I expect it will be around 2ft tall when she starts to flower based on the life cycle of an auto flowering plant. The node spacing is getting extremely tight now. Looks like about a new node every 1" or so.

Today I'm brewing a AACT with 1/4 Cup worm castings, 1 TBS Molasses for a 1 Gallon brew. This will be the first time i've given her anything but water or Molasses water.

0531151300.jpg

I've also added a new tool to my organic gardening arsenal. Picked this little guy up the other day at the gardening center and repotted it into a bigger pot. Can I make new plants by breaking off a chunk and just sticking it into a pot of dirt?

0530150756.jpg

I'm really happy with the way she's bounced back after getting my PH issues sorted out. It was my water after all so it looks like i'll either be buying lots of distilled/RO water or I need to get a RO water machine.

Last but not least, here are some pic updates for every ones gazing pleasures!

0531151305.jpg

0531151304b.jpg

0531151304.jpg

0531151304a.jpg

She looks really great. Congrats on the impending buds. :blushsmile:

Hello Mate. I'm a CFL grower, have a very similar size setup to you. But have 2x300 watts running a few inches from my canopy. They are a very ineffective light in regards to penetration. I have not read the whole thread but had the same issue with my first grow as my water is about 8.5. So got a ph up/down from Amazon for a tenner.

For your next grow read up on LST training, it the best method to use for CFL's as you can keep all the buds close to the light... I got 4 times the amount from my last grow.

Again sorry if this has all been brought up already

Hello Mate. I'm a CFL grower, have a very similar size setup to you. But have 2x300 watts running a few inches from my canopy. They are a very ineffective light in regards to penetration. I have not read the whole thread but had the same issue with my first grow as my water is about 8.5. So got a ph up/down from Amazon for a tenner.

For your next grow read up on LST training, it the best method to use for CFL's as you can keep all the buds close to the light... I got 4 times the amount from my last grow.

Again sorry if this has all been brought up already

300 watt CFL's? I didn't think there was a 300 Watt Actual CFL.. are they 300 watt equivalent? Big difference.. the 250w I have is a 250w actual.. its equivalent to 150 watt HPS. It's running a 2100k Bulb in it so it's nearly identical to a 150w HPS.

Can you link me your light? interested.

Also since it's my first grow I wanted to keep it simple. Also being an auto I was under the impression its best to just let them do their thing since there is limited grow time.

I have a 250w actual bulb over head, and the two 100w equivalent on the side for side lighting. Giving me nearly 15k lumens for a single plant.

This is what I imagine you're talking about?

1666930162116.png

Hi bassclef

Here are the lights I use... i stand corrected then if your light is different, but from my last few grows I have seen the massive change in harvest by understanding my lights, and their pros and cons so to speak and how to train around that.

300w CFL "Dual Spectrum" Hydroponics Low Energy Grow & Flower Lamp, Bulb + E40 4.5m Light Pendant

Hi bassclef

Here are the lights I use... i stand corrected then if your light is different, but from my last few grows I have seen the massive change in harvest by understanding my lights, and their pros and cons so to speak and how to train around that.

300w CFL "Dual Spectrum" Hydroponics Low Energy Grow & Flower Lamp, Bulb + E40 4.5m Light Pendant

Nope, they're about the same.. thanks for the info.

This morning she was very droopy and thirsty. Amazing how fast she went from happy to thirsty and sad. I apologized to her, and gave her a feeding of very diluted worm casting tea.. I put 3 cups of tea into a 1 Gallon jug and fed about 3/4 of the jug to her. She should perk right up!

I'll do this again in bloom with Indonesian bat guano for the P.

Back
Top Bottom