Truck's 250W Skunk #1 Scrog 2014

Truck

Hello to the world!
This will be my first grow journal attempt, so of course, any and all advice from growing tips to posting links and pics would be most welcome.

I have been growing indoors for 5 years now, experimenting with different setups and systems and constantly monitoring the forums for extra knowledge. I have had a few successes and failures in the past and now I want to try and perfect a system that is reliable and easy enough for me to get right time and time again.

Right so here it is

What strain is it? Skunk #1 feminised from sensi seeds
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 35% sativa 65% indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 3rd week
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Canna terra professional plus
If soil... What size pot? 50 litre ( I guess. Each pot contains 1 bag of 50l canna terra soil )
Size of light? 2 X 250w HPS duel spectrum
Environment: secret jardin grow tent LxBxH = 240cmx150cmx240cm
Ventilation: 1 bathroom extractor fan and 1 inline 5" rvk system air extractor fan 250m cubed per hour and an office desk fan for now.
Temp of Room/cab? 26c - 35c
RH of Room/cab?40% - 55%
PH of media or res? 5.8
Any Pests ? Not yet
How often are you watering? When needed ( 2-3 days apart )
Type and strength of ferts used? Biobizz grow biobizz bloom biobizz top max

My story begins.

So I bought 5 feminized skunk #1 seeds from sensi seeds, germinated them and this time had only 2 that sprouted.

I have used sensi seeds in the past and so far I can't complain about their product.
I have done various grows from hydro to outdoor to organic soil bags and I reckon that for me, the bags of soil are the easiest way to do it.
I used to live in South Africa and grew loads and loads of weed outside where the temps were anywhere between 30-45 degrees Celsius in the summer, and the seeds were always unknown tall sativa strains from friends that I just scattered around in the outdoor bush.
They always did very well with zero input from myself but were always loaded with seed ( obviously ) come harvest time.

I have been living in the U.K. For the last 5 years and because of that, I started growing indoors in cabinets and closets and sheds and now I have gone and got myself a grow tent. At the moment we are having a bit of a heat wave so that's why my temps are around the mid 30's. But I'm not too concerned because I have seen this plant survive at very high temps. Mid 40's

So in the past, when using soil bags I have gone with biobizz all mix and have had some great results. this time I'm trying canna terra professional plus soil with biobizz nutes and was hoping that someone out there has used this combination and is willing to chime in with some advice. I have read that the canna terra pro mix is a pre fertilised mix and that the pro plus is not, and that the pro plus contains only a small amount of nutes to help get the plants started in the first week or so.

I started the seedlings in a normal seedling friendly compost and had them in my conservatory in the sunshine for 1 week.
I then repotted them to the big flexi builders buckets that can fit the contents of a 50l bag of soil.
After 1 week in the buckets I topped both plants at the 4th node. They have been in buckets for 3 weeks now. Last weekend I built my scrog frame and put it in the tent.

The screen is 60 cm above the ground and 30 cm above the soil level.
The square holes in the screen are 6.5 cm each.
I have removed the bottom nodes on the stems and trimmed lightly to allow for more light penetration. I plan on topping again when the new growth has 4 nodes.
So far 1 plant has reached the screen and I have started to pull the branches under. I don't yet know for sure that I have 2 females.
If they both turn out male...so be it. I will start again. I'm in no hurry.
If they both turn out female...amazing.
If I get 1 male I can pull him and just scrog the hell out of the remaining female....time will tell.
I have faith in the seeds. I'm hoping they both turn out female.

My last attempt at growing went horribly wrong, from ph issues to major parasite infestations that lead to mutant looking leaves and super airy fluffy buds that were just horrible.
This time around I have sticky fly traps, neem oil and more air blowing. I haven't needed to use the neem oil yet, but it's there in case sh*t goes down.
The reason I chose skunk #1 is because it's (apparently)very resilient to ph fluctuations, resilient to heat stress and resistant to parasites and disease (apparently)
The water I'm using is run off rain water collected in a 250 litre drum from the roof and that has a constant PH of 6.0
I have been using this water for a few months now for my vegetable garden and it's always been constant and I'm flooded with fresh juicy veg everyday.
I check the runoff water every 2 days as I check my fishpond water every 2 days.

I'm going to try post some pics of what has been happening so far, but I don't have a good camera and I don't have a pc. I'm using an iPad so just expect some lower than average quality photos. The wavelength of the lamps is picked up by the lens. Sorry for that.

image12680.jpg
image12679.jpg
image12678.jpg
image12677.jpg

So for 3 weeks now the plants have each been getting 5 litres of normal water every 2-3 days, depending on how heavy the bucket is and how dry the soil feels.
Today is the start of their 4th week and it was the first time that they have been given nutes. I mixed 30ml biobizz bio grow into 10 litres of water and shared it between the plants. Let's see what happens.

So I have been away for 10 days with work.
Had an assistant take care of my little project. Basically watered them and checked the figures every second day, when I got home I tucked the plant on the left for the first time as it had shot up about 15 cm above the net. The plant on the right is still small and not yet touching the net. I have been home now for 2 days and I have tucked the big plant each night. It recovers so quickly and grows so fast it's scary! It kind of sucks tho that the little plant is still so little. It needs to catch up fast! It's super bushy but a bit of a slow learner.
Photos to follow hopefully
( they are now halfway through week 5 )

Hey buckswope, welcome along bro. It's a bit quiet here but hey.

Thanks dude. Don't worry about the comments. They'll eventually come. I've noticed most people like to browse around journals trying to learn from them. Even if you don't get any action, I'm sure you're still helping people. How long you letting her veg for? I'm on my very first grow now, but kinda getting the bug to do 1-2 plants in a scrog for my next one...

Thanks dude. Don't worry about the comments. They'll eventually come. I've noticed most people like to browse around journals trying to learn from them. Even if you don't get any action, I'm sure you're still helping people. How long you letting her veg for? I'm on my very first grow now, but kinda getting the bug to do 1-2 plants in a scrog for my next one...

Ya I just subscribed to your journal, things are looking good there bro!

I reckon I'm gonna veg until the net is nearly 90% covered by canopy.
It's just the plant on the right is moving so slow, I reckon the one on the left is gonna fill most of the screen by the time it's ready for the flip.

Quick update.
The plants have completed 5 weeks in the tent and things are beginning to pick up at a steady pace.
I pull and tuck and trim on a daily basis to maximise light penetration and extend the size of the canopy.
The plant on the right is doing really well, it's really bushy and has a lot of tops but it's still just below the netting. The plant on the left is just taking over! It's nearly reached the outside of the netting. I might have to do some super cropping to bend it along the frame soon.

A few days ago I noticed a sudden infestation of mini black flies erupting from the soil of my smaller plant. I know these guys eat the root hairs, so that could be why it's growth is a bit slower... Funny enough there were no flies on the big plant at all and they are right next to each other.
So I mixed a diluted solution of neem oil to spray on both the plants and mixed a dilute solution of a product called gnat off to go with my feed water. I also lay down sticky fly strips on the soil. It's been 24 hours and the fly strips have caught a small population of flies and it seems to me that there are no more flies walking around the soil or buzzing through the canopy. I might give another soil dose and spray the next time I visit.

Quick update.
The plants have completed 7 weeks of veg in the tent. Had some black flies partying in my soil....
I neemed them and treated the soil and caught most of them on sticky traps. I can't see more than 1 or 2 crawling on the soil now, but I'll keep treating as needed.

My wife ( the boss ) has been concerned about the smell coming from the tent, so I attached a carbon filter to my exhaust fan and also put a tub of fresh linen flavoured solid block ONA in a metal holder inside my exhaust ducting. ONA is good stuff! All I can smell now is fresh linen.

I reckon I'm gonna flip to flower mode today.
The net is not completely full, but I plan on doing this method over and over again, so I can learn each time and adjust accordingly.
For now it's just an experiment. But I will continue to tuck the growth during flowering under the net ( as best I can) until the stretching has stopped.
Pics to follow

image13678.jpg

Trimming and tucking so that most shaded parts are removed or shifted to a block that has light.

Back
Top Bottom