My First Plant - Cookie Killer (Auto)

That's the MG keeping it that wet. MG has a lower than normal for cannabis centric soil perlite/vermiculite ratio so it's not only going to have a higher perched water table but it will also hold more water throughout the media. Ideally what you want is for the media to hold onto the water/nutrient long enough for the plants to uptake them but not long enough to reduce the gas exchange in the soil. If the roots can't take up O² and expel CO² they will stop metabolising also known as stunting. Same goes for the bacterial and fungal colonies residing in the rhizosphere.

As far as soil amendments pertaining to fungal and bacterial colonization, I typically dust the transplant hole with some mycorrhizae from Xtreme Gardening so that the fungal colony attaches to the root system as fast as possible. In clone or seed I use a little Voodoo Juice for the first couple weeks from AN to get a beneficial bacteria colony going.

One of the tricks I use when running in coco only mediums is to add in water retention beads into the mix. This gives me the fast draining I want for maximum O² exchange but keeps more water in the media without inhibiting the O² level

I see what you mean about the perched water table now with MG, and why it matters.

After working with the Lush soil for over two weeks now I see the top 4" can be almost bone dry while at the same time the bag can be very heavy indicating the soil below is very wet (as opposed to tue MG which is mostly all waterlogged until it dries).

Normally I would want the entire container to be moist for shallow roots when starting vegetable seedlings for the garden, but it doesn't seem to matter with my second weed seedling.

I feel like a fish out of water starting a seed in a 3 gal container, but so far so good. I've been reading the leaves to determine when to water and letting this trump the weight of the bag at this early stage.

It seems like I'm risking watering too much, but when you have a plant that is starting to wilt in 4" of bone dry media and then it perks up as soon as you water it, this makes me think I am watering correctly.
IMG_20240217_124510134_HDR.jpg

I see what you mean about the perched water table now with MG, and why it matters.

After working with the Lush soil for over two weeks now I see the top 4" can be almost bone dry while at the same time the bag can be very heavy indicating the soil below is very wet (as opposed to tue MG which is mostly all waterlogged until it dries).

Normally I would want the entire container to be moist for shallow roots when starting vegetable seedlings for the garden, but it doesn't seem to matter with my second weed seedling.

I feel like a fish out of water starting a seed in a 3 gal container, but so far so good. I've been reading the leaves to determine when to water and letting this trump the weight of the bag at this early stage.

It seems like I'm risking watering too much, but when you have a plant that is starting to wilt in 4" of bone dry media and then it perks up as soon as you water it, this makes me think I am watering correctly.
IMG_20240217_124510134_HDR.jpg
Is the new lady an autoflower?

More than likely your tap root hasn't hit the bottom of the bag yet so there aren't enough roots in the PWT to pull from. Keep doing what you are doing as far as deciding when to water. If you feel that you might overwater then skip a day before you water again. Once the tap root hits the bottom of the bag and starts to grow tertiary roots inside the PWT you'll be able to employ the light pot method more easily. For now just water in until you see it start to drain.

This auto is 11 weeks old. The resin is turning cloudy. I'm not sure though if I will see amber and be harvesting progressively starting next week or 4 weeks from now . . .

But, the plan has been to back off the nutes and just water the last few weeks.

So I'm wondering about timing for everything. I started backing things down last week. It's like the buds are still growing well but wondering if I should be just watering now based on resin turning cloudy in upper part of plant?

Screenshot_20240219-095027~2.png

This auto is 11 weeks old. The resin is turning cloudy. I'm not sure though if I will see amber and be harvesting progressively starting next week or 4 weeks from now . . .

So I'm wondering about timing for everything. I started backing things down last week. It's like the buds are still growing well but wondering if I should be just watering now based on resin turning cloudy in upper part of plant?

Mmmm.... frosty!

I would taper down the nute concentration rather than just go straight to water. Your soil got depleted so just water may starve them the last few weeks.

@Trump

Man I feel so dumb. Long story short, I found out today my humidistat was off by 11%. Since I bought the humidity up in the closet just now the buds have fluffed up noticeably and the seedling is noticably more plump and vigorous.

Throughout flowering the whole time I thought I had 45% rh I've had 34% or lower.
IMG_20240219_200007755_HDR.jpg

Look into a good quality hygrometer. It will be able to give you good data to make whatever adjustments you need to make confidently knowing your readings are accurate.

ACI just came out with one or you could go with something from a respected company like ThermPro.

I use this model ThermPro in my 2 x 2. The 5 x 5 stats are monitored by the ACI Controller 67 and its probe.

Look into a good quality hygrometer. It will be able to give you good data to make whatever adjustments you need to make confidently knowing your readings are accurate.

ACI just came out with one or you could go with something from a respected company like ThermPro.

I use this model ThermPro in my 2 x 2. The 5 x 5 stats are monitored by the ACI Controller 67 and its probe.

Just put it in my cart. Thanks!

You know actually it occurs to me from meters to environmental to genetics to nutes or roots in a microbiological way or whatever. . . It all boils down to whack-a-mole. 😂

Just put it in my cart. Thanks!

You know actually it occurs to me from meters to environmental to genetics to nutes or roots in a microbiological way or whatever. . . It all boils down to whack-a-mole. 😂
Yup!!😄

wakamole labeled.jpg

Indoor growers are constantly battling A/C against humidity. The trick is to find.....balance between the two. Yes they will be fighting each other but you want them fighting within the temp/humidity range you want! They can duke it out all they want as long as the plants get the environmentals they like! ;) 😀 🤘

Yup!!😄

wakamole labeled.jpg

Indoor growers are constantly battling A/C against humidity. The trick is to find.....balance between the two. Yes they will be fighting each other but you want them fighting within the temp/humidity range you want! They can duke it out all they want as long as the plants get the environmentals they like! ;) 😀 🤘

That's a very helpful perspective --thanks! 👍

I spent the last two days digging and amending three holes 4' x 3' for my first try in ground photo growing. That's not something you want to do twice.😂

Otherwise, Bertha is about about a hundred times bigger than Mary was
IMG_20240221_144854684~2.jpg
IMG_20240221_172922850_HDR.jpg
at 3 weeks now. Thanks Lush and @Trump .

Amazing what a little more perlite and the right soil balance will do for these plants eh?!? 😄

My suggestion for your outdoor plants is to fill the bottom 1/3 of your hole with super soil and fill the rest with regular cannabis soil. By the time your roots hit the bottom 1/3 of the hole the roots and plant will be able to take the high nutrient mix. You'll be able to tell when they hit it by the explosion of growth you'll experience.

That's the way we used to do it up in NorCal when I was helping on a few outdoor farms.

If you want to get really adventurous you can mix up your own super soil.

This is the original recipe created by subcool

This is almost the same thing but with a few minor modifications

Subcools recipe is proportioned for a good size outdoor grow so you may want to scale it down.

Amazing what a little more perlite and the right soil balance will do for these plants eh?!? 😄

My suggestion for your outdoor plants is to fill the bottom 1/3 of your hole with super soil and fill the rest with regular cannabis soil. By the time your roots hit the bottom 1/3 of the hole the roots and plant will be able to take the high nutrient mix. You'll be able to tell when they hit it by the explosion of growth you'll experience.

That's the way we used to do it up in NorCal when I was helping on a few outdoor farms.

If you want to get really adventurous you can mix up your own super soil.

This is the original recipe created by subcool

This is almost the same thing but with a few minor modifications

Subcools recipe is proportioned for a good size outdoor grow so you may want to scale it down.

100% agree on proper cannabis specific soil. Lesson learned there for containers indoors.

All this info is excellent, thanks!!

Do you remember how wide and deep you would dig the planting holes at the farm?

100% agree on proper cannabis specific soil. Lesson learned there for containers indoors.

All this info is excellent, thanks!!

Do you remember how wide and deep you would dig the planting holes at the farm?
We'd to 3 x 3's so your holes should be fine. Just make sure to grow them large enough to be able to weather the outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom