My First Plant - Cookie Killer (Auto)

Good morning my friend :ciao:
There is nothing wrong with plastic pots.
But But But grow bags are much better for root health and plant growth.
Bags afford air to your roots.
Very important for root health.
Plastic works and you can dry the pot to let air in, where as fabric maintains air availability to the root zone.
The Cadillac of pots though is the air pot.
It funnels the roots to an opening.
Thus causing her to grow more roots.
Brilliant concept.
Here is a couple pics.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Good morning sir 🌄

These are wild! I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you kind of saying based on your experience if you are willing to spring for these pots they are superior and it's a no brainier to get these? Maybe this is just what I want to hear, but this is what I think I'm hearing. 🙂👍☮️

Good morning sir 🌄

These are wild! I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you kind of saying based on your experience if you are willing to spring for these pots they are superior and it's a no brainier to get these? Maybe this is just what I want to hear, but this is what I think I'm hearing. 🙂👍☮️
Exactly. :thumb:
Unless there's like 25 or something in flower it's all I use.
Air pots produce by far, more roots and a far superior root ball.
In order to flower properly your girl needs massive amounts of nutrients.
Without a well developed root zone it is very difficult to reach full potential.
For a new grower it makes life a lot easier.
Jus saying. ;)
It's called air pruning.
When the root hits air it sends out a new shoot, brilliant.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Screenshot_20240114-083317_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240114-083417_Google.jpg

This is good to know. I bought 3 gallon grow bags for my autos, looks like I'll have to order some 10 gallon bags.

Did you ever try growing outside in traditional plastic nursery pots by any chance? I kind of waffled back and forth between plastic pots and grow bags.

I have used plastic. I’ve also used those real hard sided old school clay pots.

You’re gonna find with most things growing, there isn’t necessarily a “best” container, or “best nutrient” line. It’s what works best for your situation.

Plastic pots will give you a tighter root ball. Since they don’t air prune, roots run to the wall of the pot then circle around. This will create a real dense root ball.

Grow/fabric/smart pots go the other way. Roots go the wall but then get auto pruned by the air so the plant can keep building roots without worrying about the size of the container. This enables plants to get much bigger in smaller containers while staying healthy. Of course this means additional nutrients but that’s not the point.

Air pots like @Bill284 showed, are somewhere in between. They allow the plant to form a decently dense root ball but they also allow the roots to auto prune. So you can build a powerful rootball and a big plant that needs extra nutrients.

Bigger isn’t always better, especially with cannabis growing. If you’re not prepared for bigger plants or your system isn’t setup to handle bigger plants, it’ll be a lot of work for a little value and you run a high risk of destroying the crop if it’s beyond your ability to effectively manage. Especially once the plants are real big and budding and bud rot comes into play. I’m getting off track though.

Outdoors and indoors I like grow bags because they’re easy to move, they provide the levels of oxygen at the root zone Im looking for, they allow the plant to root into the ground if needed, and they work best with my style of super soil. If I was doing something like a coco grow like @Bill284 and I was feeding the nutrients to my plant through watering then an airpot would be my preference because you can use a smaller container for a bigger plant and you can increase nutrition by concentrating your solution. In a super soil grow, my plants only get what’s in the soil itself, so I want to use as much soil as possible to get as much nutrition as possible into the container.

You’re gonna find with most things growing, there isn’t necessarily a “best” container, or “best nutrient” line. It’s what works best for your situation.

Plastic pots will give you a tighter root ball. Since they don’t air prune, roots run to the wall of the pot then circle around. This will create a real dense root ball.

Grow/fabric/smart pots go the other way. Roots go the wall but then get auto pruned by the air so the plant can keep building roots without worrying about the size of the container. This enables plants to get much bigger in smaller containers while staying healthy. Of course this means additional nutrients but that’s not the point.

Air pots like @Bill284 showed, are somewhere in between. They allow the plant to form a decently dense root ball but they also allow the roots to auto prune. So you can build a powerful rootball and a big plant that needs extra nutrients.

Bigger isn’t always better, especially with cannabis growing. If you’re not prepared for bigger plants or your system isn’t setup to handle bigger plants, it’ll be a lot of work for a little value and you run a high risk of destroying the crop if it’s beyond your ability to effectively manage. Especially once the plants are real big and budding and bud rot comes into play. I’m getting off track though.

Outdoors and indoors I like grow bags because they’re easy to move, they provide the levels of oxygen at the root zone Im looking for, they allow the plant to root into the ground if needed, and they work best with my style of super soil. If I was doing something like a coco grow like @Bill284 and I was feeding the nutrients to my plant through watering then an airpot would be my preference because you can use a smaller container for a bigger plant and you can increase nutrition by concentrating your solution. In a super soil grow, my plants only get what’s in the soil itself, so I want to use as much soil as possible to get as much nutrition as possible into the container.
Thanks Amigo. :thanks:
Hope your doing well. :high-five:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I clicked on her name when you recommended this article but I couldn't find it once I got there. I'm not the sharpest tack sometimes when it comes to navigating on new sites. Since you mentioned this twice I would like to read her article though.
It’s one of the best articles you’ll read. I referenced it many times when starting out.

Excellent analogy! Thanks. Going to have to consider air pots myself. @Bill284 where do you purchase these bad boys? Amazon or ?

Excellent analogy! Thanks. Going to have to consider air pots myself. @Bill284 where do you purchase these bad boys? Amazon or ?
That's one spot. :thumb:
Most decent suppliers carry them.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Good morning my friend :ciao:
There is nothing wrong with plastic pots.
But But But grow bags are much better for root health and plant growth.
Bags afford air to your roots.
Very important for root health.
Plastic works and you can dry the pot to let air in, where as fabric maintains air availability to the root zone.
The Cadillac of pots though is the air pot.
It funnels the roots to an opening.
Thus causing her to grow more roots.
Brilliant concept.
Here is a couple pics.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Unfortunately the problem with airpots is they are a little pricier than grow bags and plastic pots are cheaper than both. CL🍀

This is very enlightening, thank you!

I don't want to wear out my welcome with questions, but at the end when you say your plants only get what's in the soil, does that mean you don't use any nutrients of any kind during the plant's run?

Unfortunately the problem with airpots is they are a little pricier than grow bags and plastic pots are cheaper than both. CL🍀
Not the cheapest to buy I agree. :thumb:
They are pretty durable though.
Except the ones I lost in the fire I still have my original pots from 6 years ago.
Bags eventually wear out.
But for an inexpensive grow bags are great.
You can get a lot of use out of them.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Not the cheapest to buy I agree. :thumb:
They are pretty durable though.
Except the ones I lost in the fire I still have my original pots from 6 years ago.
Bags eventually wear out.
But for an inexpensive grow bags are great.
You can get a lot of use out of them.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I’m still using the same ones from last year but still some are better made than others. CL🍀

This is good to know. I bought 3 gallon grow bags for my autos, looks like I'll have to order some 10 gallon bags.

Did you ever try growing outside in traditional plastic nursery pots by any chance? I kind of waffled back and forth between plastic pots and grow bags.
I get cloth grow bags cheap from an old supplier I used to use for grow gear. I think you should stick to 3 gal bags so you don't overwater. You'll have to water more often but that would be good practice for learning to water properly and when.

She looks good my friend but your right about nutrients.
It's time to switch to a flowering formula.
If she does well you might want to increase strength.
But let's see.
Just curious do you have a smoke detector near the grow area? :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

It's been a few days and I don't see any effects of the MoreBloom 0-10-10 on her leaves or flowers. Do you think I can increase the strength from 1/2 to 3/4 strength the next time I water?

Thank you.

IMG_20240114_113037454~2.jpg

This is very enlightening, thank you!

I don't want to wear out my welcome with questions, but at the end when you say your plants only get what's in the soil, does that mean you don't use any nutrients of any kind during the plant's run?

No need to worry about asking questions.

I do not use liquid nutrients or any sort of nutrient system. I start with a good bagged soil like FFOF, add various amendments and minerals like bone meal and gypsum, allow it to sit moist in a warm area for 30-60 days then use that. After the grow, I chop up the root balls, toss it all in a bin, add my amendments because minerals are still in the soil, and start over. I use the same soil repeatedly to get bigger and better quality buds, faster each time.

All of the “nutrients” the plant needs are in the soil. I make sure the soil has a healthy microbial environment with the bacteria and fungi it prefers, and they work with the plant together to get the nutrients it wants from the soil.

I use just plain RO water with a low ppm (50 ppm) for the entire grow and may add Earthworm castings as a top dress from time to time.

It's been a few days and I don't see any effects of the MoreBloom 0-10-10 on her leaves or flowers. Do you think I can increase the strength from 1/2 to 3/4 strength the next time I water?

Thank you.

IMG_20240114_113037454~2.jpg
It's an actual grass fertilizer so I'm not familiar with it. :Namaste:
She will start to need more p&k over the next couple weeks.
I'd carry on as you were for a bit and see how she does.
She needs lots of light, warm temps and low rh to truly chew through nutrients.
Given her situation :Namaste: I think she will be ok for another couple feedings before we decide how it's effecting her.
BTW how do you feed?
In soil I alternate feed/water/feed/water with an appropriate dry period in between.
Shorter dry period in flower usually.
All at 6.3 ph.

What is your method?
Thanks.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

No need to worry about asking questions.

I do not use liquid nutrients or any sort of nutrient system. I start with a good bagged soil like FFOF, add various amendments and minerals like bone meal and gypsum, allow it to sit moist in a warm area for 30-60 days then use that. After the grow, I chop up the root balls, toss it all in a bin, add my amendments because minerals are still in the soil, and start over. I use the same soil repeatedly to get bigger and better quality buds, faster each time.

All of the “nutrients” the plant needs are in the soil. I make sure the soil has a healthy microbial environment with the bacteria and fungi it prefers, and they work with the plant together to get the nutrients it wants from the soil.

I use just plain RO water with a low ppm (50 ppm) for the entire grow and may add Earthworm castings as a top dress from time to time.
I really like your system and am influenced by this. Thanks again very much man!! 👍🙂☮️

It's an actual grass fertilizer so I'm not familiar with it. :Namaste:
She will start to need more p&k over the next couple weeks.
I'd carry on as you were for a bit and see how she does.
She needs lots of light, warm temps and low rh to truly chew through nutrients.
Given her situation :Namaste: I think she will be ok for another couple feedings before we decide how it's effecting her.
BTW how do you feed?
In soil I alternate feed/water/feed/water with an appropriate dry period in between.
Shorter dry period in flower usually.
All at 6.3 ph.

What is your method?
Thanks.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Sounds good, I'll just carry on as is.

Up until last week, from seedling stage, I have been doing what I think is called a drenching method where I water it until water comes out the drainage holes and letting it dry in-between. The ph of the soil has been 6.5.

When I watered and fed her the other day I changed from drenching to just giving it what I thought it needed without any water draining out of the holes (less than a quart for 3 gal. Pot). It went dry pretty quickly and I watered it again yesterday with this method, no drenching anymore. So I guess I'm on the feed/water/feed/water schedule now. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom