NASA Flood & Drain DS300

Roomie

Hello! This is my second grow using the same strain, equipment and nutrients, but with a revised plan. My first grow produced exceptionally frosty buds with a wonderfully pure 'heady' high, but the size and density of my pot was MOST unsatisfactory. I spent hundreds of hours on what amounted to 90% popcorn buds and a McDonald's bag full of trim. I was so letdown and defeated that I honestly wanted to give up growing. No bueno. So, the point of this grow and subsequent grow journal, is to learn from my previous mistakes, document the process, elicit advice from knowledgeable growers, and hopefully increase the size of my buds twofold. Thank you for reading and please feel free to voice your opinion. Thanks~!

Strain: Unknown (w/ pics of previous grow)
Stage: One week old clones
Hydro: Suspended planter/covered flood & drain tray
Media: Hydroton in 5" netpots
Dimes: 2'x4'x7' closet, 2'x2'x6' flood tray, 25 gallon reservoir
Lights: (1) Advanced LED 300W Diamond Series
Temp: 76 degrees day, 56 degrees night*
Humid: 50-60%
Power: 5.8
Pests: None
Water: Flood every 3 hours
Nutes: Blue Planet Nutrients Elite 3-Part, Bloombastic

THE SPACE:

closet_before.jpg

closet_close.jpg

My_Closet.jpg

closet_closed.jpg

THE SYSTEM:

underneath1.jpg

topside_-_clones.jpg

Fan_and_Light_Bar_-_Week_11.jpg

20120216_220543.jpg

Ebb_Flow_Suspended_Planter.jpg

20120226_185026.jpg

FIRST GROW (Wk 8):

First_Grow_-_Week_7.jpg

first_grow_-_week_but_frosty.jpg

First_Grow_-_Week_8_system.jpg

first_grow_-_week_8.jpg

As you can see, my first grow produced some exceptionally frosty dope, but at 8 weeks the buds were airy and small. Like I said, it was mostly popcorn buds and trim. Even though it got me really, really stoned, the buds were so small that I was embarrassed to share with my compatriots. Oh, dear...

Why did my first grow suck? Well, I have a few theories (and would love your input too). First, I believe the plants were root bound two weeks into flower. Vegging five plants for 30 days was too much for the size of my flood tray. The roots filled every inch of the space. I think this was the main factor in the lack of flower production. Also, I did not SCROG or properly trim my plants (see pics). 47% of the grow was a giant fucking mess of dark foliage in-and-around the screen. I'm assuming the mass of half-developed flowers subtracted significantly from the growth of the main buds. Finally, my nighttime temps would regularly drop more than 15 degrees, and I occasionally saw a 25-degree difference from daytime temps. I hear that's a no-no.

So, that is what I need to work on this time around. I've yet to confirm a final veg plan, but I have plenty of time to plot. I have to decide whether to go with less plants and the same veg time, or the same amount of plants with less veg time and a lower screen... What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESENT DAY (clones at 5 days):

I use the DS300 for all stages of the grow. The LED is on 24/7 and about 33" away from the humidity dome. I keep the RH at 100% for the first three days, then taper down to around 70% until transplanting. Temp is a constant 76 degrees with a heat mat. The rockwool was pre-soaked in distilled water with a mixture of 2.5/gal Bloom, and I don't water again until day 7. I will turn on both LED switches after the first week of hydro, not after the first week of cloning (as the manual instructs).

Clones_-_5_days.jpg

I've found that the DS300 is not the best light for growing clones in a humidity dome. The clones grow fairly quickly, showing roots at 10 days, with 100% success rate, but the plants just don't look very happy throughout the process. Compared to my friend's clones under CFL, they just look pissed off. But I'm not going to worry about it too much, because as soon as they're transplanted into the flood and drain system, they immediately green up and shoot for the stars.

Okay, here we go! :love:

re: NASA Flood & Drain DS300 Blue Planet Nutrients

Awesome start man, love the led but will have to wait till I can afford one. With scrog or sog , the under growth needs trimmed off Tue little popcorn buds come off let the plant focus on the main top where Tue energy should be on an inside grow. And defoliate them at around days 21 and 45 to allow all the energy to go into building buds, look it up believe it is baseman ? That has a complete thread on defoliating . Good luck will be checking back in to see how things are . And welcome to 420 , peace and happy growing OG.

For the clones , you have to realize they have no roots so they are not looknh for light they are trying to preserve themself , you DO NOT need direct 24/7 light they can't use it they will suck all the nutes they can from themselves so I would recommend like 18/6 or 16/8 of semi shelters or shaded light they cannot creat any chlorophyll infill they have roots that is why they are yellowing. Will be back to check up on you.

Thanks, OG! I'd appreciate that.

I went ahead and set my timer to 18/6. Last grow, I waited until the first day of hydro to go 18/6, because I heard 24/7 was optimal for clones. But now that you mention it, I specifically remember my plants perking straight up after their first six hours of dark, happy as can be.

I'll make sure to grow a pair when it's time to trim. I read baseman's thread on defoliation earlier today. It scares me.

Don"t be scared of defoliating mj plants can with stand a lot of negotiating. good luck

10-4 CoryDavid.

I can't decide how many plants to grow, and the amount time to veg. I have a 2x2x6 flood tray, 25 gallon res and a max plant height of 3 feet. How much room do marijuana roots need? How much taller will marijuana plants grow after switching to 12/12? These are the questions of my generation.

Usually they will stretch two times the height they are at when you start flowering so unless you are going to lst or scrog , I would say flipping around 14 inches which means you could put quiet a few plants in. Check into hempy too, bunch of plants small pots usually 2 liter plastic soda bottles and get them all to 12-14 inches and flip and you will have plenty of headroom. Also check out Korloins thread , Third Times a Charm, nice photos on defoliation , plus check his Sig for the 60/40 rule on stretch. Best of luck looking good so far, OG.

re: NASA Flood & Drain DS300

so frustrating..the popcorn stuff that is. nice set up!
but darn...ditch the LEDs!!!! have gone through several runs w/ them, all looking beautiful...& popcorny!!
you'll spend less $ in the longrun using MH/HPS! high elec bills, keeping room cool & all else that comes w/ along will be a happy trade off in the end. LEDs just won't produce big buds & happy results! nothing but long wasted hours & total frustration!
good luck & throw them LEDs in the trash (actually sold all of ours-ppl bought them quick, depite the warnings we gave when selling them!)... you got the touch...change the lights! :high-five:

I know what you're saying, cbdfreak. But I've seen several growers use the same Advanced LED model, even in a lower wattage, and get noticeably better results than me. I'm going to give this light another shot, then maybe incorporate a 400w HPS or two 150w HPS on either side. Thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

Day 13 of cloning. The young lads started showing roots on day 10. Not the prettiest clones I've seen, but I'm confident that four of them will be ready for hydro early next week.

My first grow sucked to so ya not alone :thumb:

Might just be a low yielding strain at the end of day ?

You may want to keep that drop between lights on/off between 5c & 10c.

Shorter veg time if you feel its necessary.

If scrogging ya suppose to LST em... it looked like ya just left em to grow through the mesh wire !

My first grow sucked to so ya not alone :thumb:

Might just be a low yielding strain at the end of day ?

You may want to keep that drop between lights on/off between 5c & 10c.

Shorter veg time if you feel its necessary.

If scrogging ya suppose to LST em... it looked like ya just left em to grow through the mesh wire !
Ha, my SCROG was a disaster. I think it was a combination of not knowing how high the plants would stretch, vegging way too long, and just generally not doing it right. I bent and weaved the hell out of those branches and they still shot through the screen! I was totally overwhelmed, and I'm still unsure whether to SCROG this grow or not...

My friend has been growing this strain for a while, and bigger buds.

I am doing a scrogg right now that is like you say, no matter how much i bend and weave the plat seems to average like 12" above the screen. As for getting popcorn buds maybe you could add some cfl lights and they are cost effecient. I'm always low on funds so i actually used 8 cfl's instead of my 100 watt mh/hps and the buds were twice as dense and tasted better, wich could be do to giving a proper flush. I want to compliment you on how clean and sturdy your scrogg frame is. Also defoliating more this grow around will alow the plant to focus more on the buds, instead of wasting precious energy on large fan leaves. Would love to see your start(clones. Good luck and just keep at it, it"s always better to smoke your own stash. I to am a newbie and the down time is what's killing me. would love to have a sealed room with a perpetual grow. A man can dream lol GREAT VIBES being sent your way

That's good advice, Cory. And grow vibes are much appreciated! :tommy:

I put in well over 200 hours of reading on marijuana cultivation before my first grow, and I still bombed. I suppose it comes with experience.

Back
Top Bottom