KJC420

:welcome::420: Hey there 420, Hope your all having an awesome day and welcome to my first online grow journal. Have just sprouted a few cookies kush seeds from barneys farm. All 8 seeds sprouted over three days and were germinated in rockwool (PH,'d to 5.8). After one day of breaking the surface all roots had also popped out the bottom of the little 1 inch cubes. They all look happy and are being fed just water(EC 0.3) for now. As soon as the roots broke the bottom of the rockwool, the cubes were placed into net pots with hydroton (clayballs). They now live in a flood n drain system which I use to veg seedlings and clones at the start of each grow. The aim of this grow is to find a nice mother for future grows and perhaps a new keeper strain :) The plants will go from under 2x 200w 6400k blue cfl's, then under 1800w of MH and HPS for main veg and flower. They will also start in flood and drain and move to top fed drip system once the roots fill the net pots nicely.

Thanks for having a look if your still with me so far and hope to see you on the pages that follow :)
Cheers, KJC420

Here are the first photos, we will call today day one, although the seedling vary in age,from 3 days to just the one.
IMAG035625.jpg

Here's the tent they will be in for a few weeks, it has a flood and drain system with external resi and a fan cooled hood with 2x 200w blue cfl's
IMAG035219.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the underside of the flood tub, 13mm in and 19mm out. Lines runs to a 55lt black tub for the resi.
IMAG035322.jpg

External resi, old flood n drain hols blocked and resi temp monitor and environmental monitor for running exhaust fan when temps occasionally creeps past 29° :)
IMAG036220.jpg

Simple reptile thermostat for fans and monitoring, does the job well for small tent, and bigger ones too :)
IMAG036620.jpg

Resi temp, resi has a 55w water heater inside to help maintain happy temp for feeds.
IMAG035124.jpg

Here are the 8 seedlings happy in there new home :) receiving tons of love ha ha. Below are photos of the seedlings, biggest is three days and the rest range down to 1 day old.
IMAG035422.jpg
IMAG035517.jpg

This is a lil monitor to get a sense of the root zone temp, will watch it for a few days to see how it goes, aiming to stay in the happy 18°-22° range.

Thanks again for taking a look, any questions hints tips or experiences welcome and it would be great see what you guys think and have some company along the ride :thumb:

Cheers, KJC420 :rollit:

Hey there Light addict and welcome to the grow :) that's cool mate, swing by and check it out whenever you get a chance, all are welcome and the more the merrier!

No photos today as there has only been a slight amount of growth for the little ladies, soon though the photosynth will kick off hard as their new leaves grow in size :)

Todays grow stats :) day 2 veg.

Resi temp: 20.7℃

Tent temp av: 28.1℃

Root zone temp: 23.1℃ ---- a bit high for my liking, today was a bit warmer outside so I have removed a few vent covers on the lower part of the tent to try drop root zone temp a touch. As the evening cools I'll check back on the root zone to be sure it hasn't dropped too far either. My root zone temp goal is the same as my resi goal, 18℃-22℃.

PH 5.8

Ec 0.3

Tommorow is a new day of growth and I can hardly wait already ha ha. Happy 'n' healthy growth to everyone.

Cheers everyone! KJC420

On a side note for the evening, I just read your article 'Tutt style' Light addict, cheers for the write up there mate! Will be employing the technique a bit in the future for sure....thought i'de share a pic of a green crack plant I have tried similar methods on, although not as extensive ha ha.

Topped 'n' tied :)

IMAG006426.jpg

Have a great evening all! KJC420 :)

Great journal so far kjc... I would like to hear from you as to why you are going from flood and drain to top fed? Im on my first grow also and am only using cana terra soil and water by hand, but on my next grow will be definitely using a self watering system. Although i dont know a great deal about them yet so any info on your top fed setup and pics if possible would be very much appreciated. cheers ;)

Hey good to see ya Aussie bud, cheers for checking out the grow :) I only use the flood n drain method in this set up for the ease of set up and size. I use 35lt tubs with dual hydro halo rings per plant in the final system. This is a media volume of 35lt x6 or x8 Under three lights. It's just easier of find then running a huge table. I use hydroton to it's super hard to over feed and allows me to have a smaller resi to cycle nutrients :) having the resi external makes ph'ing etc really easy for my small flood set up, but even that resi is 55lt to fill 40lt in the small tray. My 80lt easy holds enough that the ph is relatively stable and doesn't take a lot of power to heat. Where as my 80lt wouldn't even flood my 4x4 flood tray lol. It's more of an ease of use thing for me, easier to spread the plants under the lights.

When the ladies go into the bigger system ill take tons of photos and write good descriptions for it, kinda like a plan ha ha :) any questions on specifics or if I've confused anyone with my stoned typing please let me know :)

Light Addict, what do you think of tutankhmon as a strain, I have a very similar pheno Toots from pyramid myself. It's 9 months old now and haven't had a chance to flower her clones now she's at full cannabinoid production :) I flowered her siblings not long after showing pistols. Found it to be an ok strain, for the most part living up to it's description. Not homozygous though lol. My question is what'd you think of the resin production, and any specific tips for the strain? Any help would be great, I do like my toots mumma, ha ha, cheers L.A!

Thanks everyone for hanging out :)
KJC420

Hey Everyone! Today is day three for our 8 happy little Cookies Kush ladies. They're all happy with no complaints and seem to be coming along nicely!
Yesterday the root Zone temp was up a little, which got me to thinking, to aid in keeping the root zone down a few degrees, more hydroton will be added to the flood tub. The clay balls will be rinsed and added up to about an inch or slightly less from the level of the clay balls sitting in the net pots. Extra shade and water around the net pots should help achieve the desired outcome. As a temporary protection for the root zone the exhaust fan is now kicking in at 27℃ instead of 29℃. This has helped today and the temp is sitting much better. Once the trip to the local hydro store has been done, and the clay balls added, the fans will be back to venting heat at 29℃

The temp just before a feed tonight was at 21.9℃, very borderline but ok for the days growth. After this update I'll set the fans to vent at 26℃ and see if tmrw our root zone temp holds a touch happier.
IMAG037521.jpg

Here are few photos for day three. Just visible are the second set of leaves coming along. Over the next few days the days will be looking a bit more cannabis like :) Happy days indeed! I do like growing from mothers and clones but I have to admit it's so satisfying watching them go through all those first few stages before reaching there grand mature lovely age :) Such an enjoyable journey, one that will be nice to share with a few more like minded friends!
IMAG037718.jpg
IMAG037618.jpg
IMAG037823.jpg

Thanks for chillen with me 420! :)
KJC420

Cheers L.A. really appreciate it mate :) And welcome to the grow Mr Am4zin! It's great to have more company!

It's the weekend now and time to log a bit more on the little ladies.

Dropping the temp by a few degrees has helped lower the root zone to just inside our 'safe' parameters and sits at 21.3℃ which is nice for now :) Today is day 5 for our seedlings in veg, the second set up leaves is now more visible and I am noticing a slight bit of colour varience in the seedlings, a couple are a touch paler with a lighter green colour, and the rest are a deeper green colour. Over the next week we should be able to gauge wether the colour difference is a sign of health, or genetic variation between seeds of a non homozygous strain? Exciting right?? Ha ha, it is for me! All temps have been very close for all the grow so far and they aren't on nutrients at all, so I'm kinda hoping the colours are down to genes! Makes this Mother hunt through cookies kush a bit more interesting. I'll defiantly be starting to look for others who have grown this strain and info on available pheno types and traits during this here treasure hunt like grow ha ha. Ah cannabis my love, when will the fun stop? :)

Day 4 temps (awesome weather outside)

Resi temp: 20.4℃
Root zone:21.7
Tent temp: 27℃ average. -- min temp 14.3℃--
Ph 5.8
Ec 0.4

Day 5 temps

Resi temp 20.1℃
Root zone 21.5℃
Tent temp 27℃ average -- min temp 13.8℃ over night--

There are a few more temps, my overnight temp is really low and I'm really hoping the adding insulation to the outside of the tent will help keep more of that nice built up heat in the tent during the lights off period. So the plan is to use thin silver thermal insulation used in building and construction I industry, to create a 'skin' for the tent. With all appropriate holes and vents still being about to be used :)

Next week's list of mods to fine tune are;
- More hydroton - keep root zone temps down, and raise room temp back to 29℃ via adjusting exhaust fan.
- Tent 'skin' for lowering the tents 'lights on/off' temp variance.
- Lower the light a touch once more hydroton is added to the flood tub.

I will take photos and log the results of the changes next week as we go! As well as any noticed colour variation between the seedlings! That'll be interested to see how that all plays out :) is the light green cookies better then the dark?....or is it just an unwell seed? Ha ha

Thanks everyone for sticking along and for the encouragement! I hope your all enjoying the weekend, Happy growing 420!
KJC420

Hey hey, I hope everyone's having and had awesome weekend! This is only a small update today, as I haven't had the opportunity to drop into the hydro store to pick up the bits and pieces I mentioned earlier. However, I have made a change to a couple of things, instead of flooding 4 times a day, I'm now flooding 8 times a day. And to help with mainting the system I now start the ph at 5.6 and let it climb to 6.0, when it hits 6, I then lower again to 5.6 and let it slowly climb again. So all in all, I am doing this 3 times a day, morning, mid afternoon, and later at night. This keeps my average for the day at 5.8, and is a bit easier then starting my ph at 5.8 and letting it climb to the mid 6's before I can get to it again.
Temps for the resi and tent have stayed stable with no new changes to report, however, with double the floods the root zone is sitting at 21.5 almost every time it's checked, happy daze!!

More photo updates this week! As well as second sets of leaves coming along nicely :)

Happy garden'n too all!
KJC420

Day 9!! Hey everyone quick photo update today!

Added changes, Canna Aqua A+B and Canna Rhizotonic. Very light with nutrient for there first little sip, only 0.2 Ec or 100pmm for those using Hanna conversion measurements :) Over the next few days I'll be watching like a hawk and flushing if any ill effects are seen. They seemed to be talking to me, foliage lightening a touch too much and coytaldon colour begining to dull out, which I always look for as an indication that there metabolism is starting to crank :)

IMAG039726.jpg
IMAG039524.jpg
IMAG039222.jpg
IMAG039423.jpg

And here are a couple of maintenance pics ha ha, probes and root zone temps. I'm using collected rain water, which comes in as 'soft water' usually averaging around ec of 0.06 :) or below 50ppm.
IMAG039925.jpg

Ph and Ec after addition of nutes. Ph 5.6 and Ec 0.25
IMAG039127.jpg

Cheers for hanging out with us 420!! :thumb:
KJC420

:welcome:Awesome! Thanks for joining us Marzbadrock, the more the merrier! Yeah I hope to find a good mother, it has potential to be some nice smoke, it has good genetics from barney's claim, so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out :) Cheers for the interest mate :) Here's to trying a new strain!:thanks:

More updates soon!!
KJC420

Cheers bro :) there slowely coming along :) Mate your widow is looking good, I miss my indica leaves sooo much ha ha, I've. Ive looking at hybrids way too much in my grow room lately, so I loving the updates there too Aussie bud ha ha :) I've been playing with my Tutankhmon mother a bit lately after seeing a few of L.A.'s threads, to keep me a bit more busy ha ha. Will tie her down a bit more, veg for a few weeks and do a bit of flowereing myself ha ha. I'll post o few pics of her over the next couple of days, maybe tonight. Something a bit greener for us all to look at while cookies come along :)

See you all soon!
KJC420

Back
Top Bottom