Need help diagnosing new issue

Here's some info I got from two manufacturers that I think shows some of the lab peoples' thinking.

Advanced Nutrients support told me in email that ideally their nutrients are used in water with very low or no other mineral content. (I'm guessing that that allows you to have a simple, well defined solution with no hard water "wild cards" throwing things off?)

General Hydroponics makes a hard water version of their FloraMicro fertilizer. Called Floramicro Hardwater (approximately enough) GH says "FloraMicro provides rapidly growing plants with a combination of chelated micro nutrients uniquely formulated for hardwater conditions."

GH recommends using the hard water version if your water reads 250 total PPM or higher or 70 PPM Ca. (Interestingly, they only make a hard water version of that one bottle in a three bottle solution. There is no hard water version of FloraGro or FloraBloom).

If memory serves, GH also recommends using a mix of FloraMicro and FloraMicro Hardwater for lower levels (like if you have 125 PPM, use 1/2 regular and 1/2 hard water?).

All that said, I was just on a thread with a guy here the other day whose water reads about 320 PPM and he says his plants do fine with no special treatment (however, he was posting about some weird calcium problem he was having, and his water pH was in the 8s--not ideal).

I hope that helps give at least an idea?
This is EXACTLY why we value you here and your awesome abundance of info! Thank you for.all the info you share. I have learned SO much from you

I wanted to respond to Oldbear's ?.

Scientific!
I didn't mean to step on your toe.
But, you stated "your guessing".
I responded with a theory. Based on pic's, and statements made.

Your information is GREAT!
But it is incomplete.
And comes from a nutrient manufacturer.

Hard water is water that has high mineral content. Hard water is formed when water percolates through deposits of limestone and chalk which are LARGELY made up of calcium and magnesium carbonates.
Wikipedia

hard water, water that contains salts of calcium and magnesium principally as bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates. Ferrous iron may also be present; oxidized to the ferric form
Encyclopedia Britannica

Water is considered hard when it exceeds 3 grains per gallon (GPG). A GPG is equvalent to 17.1 PPM

Not all minerals in water are water soluble nor refined enouph for plants to uptake!

Soft water (rain water) is slighty saline.

If your water smells like rotten eggs, that could be naturally occurring hydrogen sulfide gas or certain bacteria reacting with magnesium to form sulfates.

If your water tastes like dirt.

That could be sediment (actual dirt), old pipes or Algal blooms.

The only sure way to know what is in your water. Is to have it tested.

Hard water usually associated to CAL/MAG. Can cause a nutrient lock out.

Nutrient Manufacturer's remedy is no more than sodium and/or potassium. Designed to counter excessive cal/mag.

I live in an area with a high IRON content soil. It is NOT AVAILIABLE for plant metabolism. Stains the crap out of everything tho.

Anyway. If you believe your water is not suitable. Have it tested (normally free at your county seat accompanied by a complaint).

High cal/mag....get an ion exchanger!

Still friends Scientific?

Thanks for listening y'all...keep em green and clean!

If you're thinking of the standard exchanger with two resin, bear in mind that those swap sodium for calcium, which helps the soap to suds but is not good for plants or humans to drink. https://extensionpublications.unl.edu/assets/html/g1491/build/g1491.htm

More info is always welcome! I learned something new. :thumb:
My bad, I think I was a little incomplete with the ION EX......

I was comparing this to some of the nutrient remedies for hard water solutions.
Not going to fix if you don't know what to fix.
Being in a hurry, writing less than thoughts.

But, again you put out real good info.
And I will humbly eat .

Back
Top Bottom