Need insight on my grow

blo0

First and foremost newbie on the scene and would like to make my official introduction and first post.

I've done nothing but read up on everything from lighting to grow mediums and soil vs soilless and decided to go with a cap'n style grow with lightaddicts fluxing in a coco/perlite medium. Now this is where my newbie-ism kicks in. I have read hosebomber light FAQ and I will be vegging in 6 squared foot area and flowering in a 12 squared foot area. Now reading up on BID's and buckshot's grows with LEDs I decided to do an led grow my dilemma is I would need approx. 420 watts for flowering and want to go with either the MARSII 700w or the 2 stage 450 or 600 watts. My belief is that with the 2 stage when in vegging it cuts your wattage in half so it would be 225 or 300 watts which is still ok for my veg but means I'll definitely be needing 2 sets of those lights for vegging and flowering which in returns means in the vegging stage I won't be using the flowering switch and vice versa for flowering unless I can have both vegging and flowering on at the same time. If both vegging and flowering are actually using total wattage respectively then that's what I would go with which I doubt and that's where the MARSII comes in. If I do my vegging with CFLs then I'm going to opt for the flowering MARSII vs the standard. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

So in short for rwh (reading while high) lol I will be vegging with CFLs and flowering with LEDs should I go with a flowering designated LEDs or both ends of the spectrum?

Thanks in advance Blo0(blue not blow) :thanks:

Re: Need insight on my grow.

By both ends of spectrum I mean the standard that is good both for veg and flower. Balanced blues and reds over a red heavy light. Looking for the pros and cons over those panels.

yo i go 1200w (2 600w digital) Metal Halide for veg, High pressure sodium for flower, you can throw some T5s up in there too, but it seems un necessary for flower since its providing more of the blue spectrum anyway, youll be good with just MH for veg and HPS for flower tho, especially if youre like me and don't want to pay far out the ass for power

to clarify more the MH has a decent blue spectrum and will veg plants fine, also you can bring the light closer to the plants than HPS, but HPS has and awesome red spectrum making it an ideal HID bulb for flowering

If you haven't already bought the CFLs, maybe you should go all LED. I love CFLs for vegging, but I suspect LED would be more potent. CFLs require less headroom, but I don't think that's an issue for your veg space.

So ... hm ... maybe redundancy could be the deciding factor. If you got both lights with veg/bloom switches you'd have more flexibility.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a wash. You don't need a veg spectrum for your 12 sqft space, and if you use CFLs for veg, you don't need a switch either. Might as well just get the Mars.

Does that help any? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh, and welcome to posting on:420:!!

Graytail that's exactly what I am thinking but my veg & flowering are 2 different spaces. That's why I was thinking CFLs or using 400w MH until I can get my second LED strictly for vegging. The first Mars obviously I can use for a complete cycle of this grow but definitely by the flowering I would need my vegging lights whether CFls MHs or LEDs. CFLs cheapest solution but LEDs are my thing.

yo i go 1200w (2 600w digital) Metal Halide for veg, High pressure sodium for flower, you can throw some T5s up in there too, but it seems un necessary for flower since its providing more of the blue spectrum anyway, youll be good with just MH for veg and HPS for flower tho, especially if youre like me and don't want to pay far out the ass for power
This was my first option and what freaks me the f out is fires but summer times here heat is a huge issue so that's why I opted for LEDs.

Hey blo0. I hopped over here from the other thread. From what you're saying (having 2 separate areas for veg & flower), I would go the route you've apparently already looked at. i.e. the standard spectrum mars II 700 for veg and a Mars II 1200 "flower" spectrum for your flowering area. Win, win.

oh...and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :party:

What are the actual dimensions of your spaces. Example 2'x4'x8'. The reflector series uses 3w chips and the mars series uses 5w. You will get better penetration with the mars but it has to be kept farther away from your plants than the reflector model. If you are short in vertical space this can be a big deal. I think the reflector model is good for 12"-24" away and the mars is more 24-36 ideal being closer to the 36". I am going to use a MarsII full spectrum 140x5 for flower and the reflector model 96x3 for my veg room. IMO going all LED is the way to go you just have to pick the correct panel for the job. It also seems like the plants do good things when they get a fuller spectrum instead of just all blue or red. I will experiment with the reflector once I get it to see what settings they prefer in veg but I have a feeling it will be the im given her all shes got setting. :D

Check out my journal for more info on my setup.

My veg room is actually 3x2x7 and flower is 3x4x7. 3x4x7 so height wise I think I'm good. I also want to get the most bang for my buck. I was thinking of getting the 1200w mars II flowering spectrum but opting for standard because of the ability to do both. But possibly doing 2 700w mars and doing the 600w 2 stage light. Just gives me options and flexibility. :peace:

Heading over to your journal now:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom