Neglected plant

roymac

Advice needed to care for neglected plant. Strain unknown. The plant has been in flower since I got it so I have no history of when flowering began. The plant is in a very small pot.... height is 4.5 inches.... buds are small.... lots of trichomes clear/milky 50/50. Pistils are off-white and changing colour.... Plant looks stressed and leaves are wilting. Have had it under 12/12 for 2-3 weeks. My question is.... where do I go from here? .... should I transplant to bigger pot and continue with 12/12 or can u advise another scenario?
All help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

yep we could do with a pic or 2 of the plant and pot size, under 12-12 the roots will be wanting to grow more as during the lights off period the plant uses its energy to grow roots, the more roots its got the bigger plant it can support, but if the roots cant grow then the plants not getting enough of what it needs so it can cause plants to go hermie and stop growing,

so try and get some pics up, you may have no choice but to transplant, if it is root bound then the roots wont fall apart when you take it out the pot, but this would need to be done very carefully and best done when the soil is dry, just get a bigger pot ready and fill it wirh fresh compost but not miracle grow or anything with added nutrients, you just want some cheap regular compost, something suited for tomatos is fine, then make sure the put fits into the new pot so you can get the hole to the right size,

but its best if we can see the plant so we can be sure it needs transplanting as you may have other problems such as nutrient issues, lack of or to much, ph, temp, over or under watered, without pics its very hard for us to give a good answer, we dont want to give out advice thats going to make the problem worse, the help is here but pics let us see exactly whats going on then someone can give you the best advice and what course of action to follow to get it back in good health

Many thanks my friends I appreciate and agree about pics but no decent camera at the moment.
But will be getting one soon. I have decided to transplant her to give her a fighting chance and i'll take. onboard the good advice u have. given me .

thanks guys I'll keep u posted.

M317.jpg
M220.jpg
M220.jpg

Am using CFLs ... this plant is sharing a G.R. with 2 seedlings which are in. their 17th day of veg. Seedlings are on 18/6 and Matilda is on 12/12

what watt are your cfls,

my first grow was with cfls and you can grow and produce bud with them, their are 2 types of cfls, the 6400kelvin or white light, these are suitable for the veg stage of growth, the 2700kelvin are the orange looking bulb that you use around the house, these are suited for flower.
a mixture of the 2 is always best with a higher ratio or the type needed for each stage of growth, either 50/50 mix or 2/1 ratio, so 2 x 6400k and 1 x 2700k for veg and the opposite for flower,

the problem with low watt cfls is you will need a few of them, the light penetration is poor with the low watt lights or maybe your using the higher watt cfls which penetrate further, but if your using the low watt light bulbs hold your hand against the bulb then slowly lower it away, after about 2 to 4 inches from the bulb you will notice the light levels drop off drastically, so keeping the cfls in close to the plants really pays off, keep them within 2 to 4 inches from the plants.

a 23 watt cfl will light up a whole room but for growing plants the light level at great distance is no good for us for growing, so you need the clfs very close to the plants, also with the low watt cfls you will find the sides of the bulb give off the most light, you get very little light coming from the end of the bulb so try and mount the bulbs side on to the plants, also try and build a reflector to reflect as much light back onto the plant as possible, any light going up or lighting up the sides of the grow space is just getting wasted, so getting all this shining on the plants will help with growth and produce better plants.

i still start my seedlings and clones under low watt cfls as the node spacing is good and stops the plants from stretching compared with using a hid for starting plants such as hps or mh, cfls you can get closer to the plants so then this stops them from stretching,

if you are using low watt cfls then the best grow method would involve some sort of training like low stress training or a scrog method but if your new to growing then keep it simple for now until you get the grow area the best you can get it and then you can focus on training or what ever method you want to go with.

cfls need to be kept close to the plants to stop the plants from stretching and to keep the node spacing tight which will help produce big buds instead of just small buds at each node. i ended up using over 400 actual watts in cfls to get the results i wanted to i switched to a dual spec hps which improved things and helped me produce better results and grow more plants,

but my first grow was with cfls and i got great results plus many other growers use cfls and get great results, so its possible but you need to get the grow area as good as possible, flat white walls or mylar, i used rescue blankets, cost me next to nothing for a pack of 5 and their big so didnt use many, just stook these to the walls and that gave me a good reflective surface, then i used some hard foil type baking dishes or food dishes you can pick up from most 99p stores or cheap highstreet shops, i then used them to make reflectors with to keep all the light on the plants, so their is not reason why you cant produce good results but its going to be a case of getting everything right,

so keep the lights close and add more if you need to, the best lumin to watt ratio is the 23watt cfls, the regular household bulbs are the 2700k so these are good for flower, i found it harder to get the 6400k bulbs and had to order off the net, but if you grow more than 2 or 3 plants then you are going to need a lot of cfls, i was using at least 4 per plant, 2 above the plant then 1 down either side, doing that meant my plants where getting good light from above and the side branches where getting light from the sides which stopped the branches from stretching,

if i was going to do a whole grow with cfls then id go with a scrog or use some low stress training to keep the plants flat and an even canopy, but id go with the scrog as you would only need light above the screen and not down the sides so that would help produce a good harvest due to the even canopy and due to all the bud sites getting good light

Well guys, re-potted her 4 days ago and shes looking good..still very small and stocky...but looks stronger and much healthier now. she has an amazing number of trichs for her size i think....I've taken some pics but the quality isn't great but it gives an idea of how she looked then and how she looks now!
Tried taking pics of trichs using camera and magnifying glass....once again the quality isn't good...my apologies for that.

thanks for your interest and help.
M4-Aug2013.jpg
M4c-10thOct2013.jpg
M4-10thOct2013.jpg
M4b-10thOct2013.jpg
M4b-Close-up.jpg
M4a-Close-up.jpg

Hi mate,

certainly looks much better, are you going to do another grow, if you are let us know and keep us up to date, just dont over water, the roots need oxygen as much as they need water so let the pot dry out between waterings and the plant will reward you with huge buds,

let us know if you have any further problems,
if you need to buy seeds go to herbies head shop, scroll down right hand side of page and click on pick n mix, then on the left pick the price range your looking for and you can then buy single seeds, plus buy 1 seed and you will get 3 free, you will get 1 fem seed and 2 regular seeds free, spend more and you get more free seeds, other sponsors off similar deals but cant comment on them as i only use herbies head shop due to the service i receive

Back
Top Bottom