New leaves twirling open, has anyone else seen this before?

I started from seeds in mid May in pots then transplanted in larger pots in mid June.
OK, cool. The next question is... what is your latitude? From that, I can calculate your daylight hours in mid May vs now.

I'm not sure but I live halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento in the San Joaquin Valley. I know it's in zone 9 for gardening. Everything is going well now and all my plants have started growing well now. They started off slower than last year but catching up now.

I'm not sure but I live halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento in the San Joaquin Valley. I know it's in zone 9 for gardening. Everything is going well now and all my plants have started growing well now. They started off slower than last year but catching up now.
Good to hear they are doing well.

I'm just a sleuth by nature and like to understand little quirks like this. SO... Your night length right now is 9.67 hours and getting longer by the day, since we have passed June 21, the summer solstice. The solstice is the shortest night of the year, and in your case, that was 9.15 hours. Here are your night hours since May 15, and going forward to Aug. 15:

May 15: 9.73
Jun 15: 9.17
Jun 21: 9.15 (solstice)
Jul 25: 9.67 (today)
Aug 05: 10
Aug 15: 10.35

Most cannabis will start flowering with a night length of 10-10.5 hours. Notice that night hours are decreasing from May 15 to June 21, which is OK for natural outdoor vegging. Then on June 21 night hours start increasing. So, your plants should naturally go into flower sometime in August.

I suppose its possible that the leaf curl could have happened because of the straddling of the solstice; i.e. your plants were started well before the solstice.

Was an outdoor patio light on at night any time during this grow? How about a street light or neighbor's light? Did you move the plants around outdoors, where they would have been exposed to light during the night, or not?

Keep in mind that for natural outdoor flowering, the plants cannot be exposed to any lights during the night.

OK, well... a bit of a mystery there. Perhaps the leaf curl was due to the "straddling" of the solstice... that's all I can guess at this point. Or, somebody came by with a headlamp or flashlight.

happy growing! :)

Back
Top Bottom