New leaves twirling open, has anyone else seen this before?

Ainchains

420 Member
Have new leaves opening up like this. Has anyone else seen this?

20220714_181918.jpg

20220714_181851.jpg

Have new leaves opening up like this. Has anyone else seen this?

20220714_181918.jpg

20220714_181851.jpg
The only time I saw that before there was a pest in there doing in.
Cut the whole leaf off and burn it.
Welcome to 420Magazine @Ainchains :welcome:
Hope your having a great day.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill284

The only time I saw that before there was a pest in there doing in.
Cut the whole leaf off and burn it.
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe there is an insect in there who has twirled all the leaves around to make some sort of egg nest. Have to slowly unravel it all and check it out.

Looks like it is the entire growing tip that is swirled around. Would have to cut it all off to just above the previous node. Something like an amputation.

Hadn't thought of that. Maybe there is an insect in there who has twirled all the leaves around to make some sort of egg nest. Have to slowly unravel it all and check it out.

Looks like it is the entire growing tip that is swirled around. Would have to cut it all off to just above the previous node. Something like an amputation.
Will try cutting off like suggested. Thanks

After you do that, I would try unrolling them and take a really close look to see if there are any insects in there. If there are you might want to find a treatment plan now just in case there are any more.

It's only happening on a couple of branches. It has been very hot here with low humidity, could the plant be stressed? I have been checking for pest but haven't seen any.
They could be very small. Or, they did what nature told them to and left.

Somewhere I have a photo of a spider which would roll up one finger on a leaf, kinda like a canoe, by wrapping a web around and around and finish off while it was inside. I figure it would do this over two nights since I never saw it working on this project during the day. Then several days later it would make an opening at one or both ends and leave.

I figure it was laying eggs. Never saw any holes in the leaf and after a week or two the leaf would be slowing returning to normal. Spiders rarely eat vegetation and since their main diet is other insects I leave them alone.

Hi @Ainchains and welcome to the forum!

This kind of leaf curl is usually caused by a change in lighting. If a plant is flipped (veg to flower), and then put back in veg, you'll see these kind of curls. I've seen it in my plants. Not an insect.
1658648805447.png

One of my CBD plants, Jan. 2020:
1658649306518.png

These are growing outside. Could stress possibly cause it. The weather had been very hot in the 100's then went to three or four days in the 80's then climbed back up gradually to the 100's. I looked closely and didn't find any pest and I'm not seeing the leaves doing this now.

This kind of leaf curl is usually caused by a change in lighting. If a plant is flipped (veg to flower), and then put back in veg, you'll see these kind of curls. I've seen it in my plants. Not an insect.
I wasn't wildly speculating when I said this... this is a verified, real thing.

From Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook, 2010, p. 338:

(photo of exactly what you saw, and what was in my photo... curled leaf.)​
"This plant signals its crossover back to vegetative by growing a swirled leaf. This trait was first noticed by the famous breeder Soma."​
On p. 337:​
RE: plants starting to re-grow vegetatively​
"This can also happen under natural light conditions when flowering was induced early in tunnels or a greenhouse [i.e. light dep]. Spring crop plants often revert back to vegetative growth under the long days of June and early July. ... As the nights get longer, the plants revert back to flowering..."​

@Ainchains, when did you start the plant? Has it always been outdoors?

Back
Top Bottom