New to growing in Portland

Chrissy4605

I am brand new to this. My husband brought home five plants for us to grow and harvest. And while I have been doing some research my mind is starting to overflow with all the requirements of growing some simple plants. I live in Portland, Oregon and here it is now legal to purchase and grow without any permit. I am happy that this finally happen in this beautiful state. But I could use some tutelage on how to best grow in a small apartment. We plan to grow indoors and keep it fairly small.

I have done some serious reading and I think I will be using 300 watt CFLs. Does anyone know about Space Buckets?

I think space buckets are good for those trying to keep a low profile. But nothing beats a good light and plenty of empty air around a plant. Using a tent will be the best option for a new grower. It lets you keep a neat space and is designed with your needs in mind. It also allows you to just zip open a flap and just see your plants in all their glory. Especially for a beginner grower the ability to see your plants and inspect them is invaluable. You will spot much more and learn more. With Space buckets you have to lift your plant out to see the whole thing. Can be difficult after budding has started.
Cfls are okay for growing. Look up RickyBobby, I often use him as a good example of what can be done with fluorescents. But take a look at our sponsor Marshydro. For 62 dollars on a well known auction site they are selling their 130 true watt old style LEDs (300watts of led running at 130 watts). 62 bucks is the price of two good CFL bulbs and will out power the cfls by a long margin. Get two of those lights and a 3x3 tent and you will pretty much be covered grow wise. Of course an inline fan and carbon filter. If you start a journal we would all be happy to help you grow. Just post a link here when you do so I can find it! Also post it in your signature like I have done here.

Merry Christmas and
Welcome to the coolest group of growers on the web at 420mag!
Shiggy

I am in Gresham.

Bull run water baby. ppm of 12 out the tap! No Fluoride or chlorimate!

There is a lot to learn...but I would start with soil as it is much easier to deal with. Done correctly needs no expensive fertilizers.

And for under $200 you can get a decent HID light that will blow away any CFL grow.

I would never go under 400W in HID because it is hard to get dense bud under that. At 600W if you know what you are doing you can get light as intense as the equator in summer. stronger than that not only doesn't matter but can hurt the plants.

Watch this video...(real good info to just know) However in an apartment you may want to go LED.

This is by no means top of the line and the hood is not meant for a small closet grow but for the price it is hard to beat.

Apollo Horticulture GLK600GW19 600 Watt Grow Light Digital Dimmable HPS MH System

I would recommend getting a small tent with a LED. First gen Mars Hydro are going for like $64 on a well known auction site right now. Great way to get started.

Back
Top Bottom