New to growing

Nutrients have been gotten now tips and advice on use amount and anything else to add

420-magazine-mobile614428138.jpg

be humble and kind! :)
New to growing

Well now there is three buddy had the one in the big pot was dieing I'm pretty sure it just needed a bigger home so we transplanted her and put her with her new friends others will probly see the same tomorro and tips on nute mixture would be nice or when I should start all three will be into ffof tomorro morning after I get out of work hopefully we were right about the one girl who's losing color she was pretty cramped in her solo roots were coming out of the drain holes in bottom any input before transplanting other two will be greatly appreciated
420-magazine-mobile2140887397.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1448719553.jpg

420-magazine-mobile681937936.jpg
420-magazine-mobile507270176.jpg

New to growing

Okay so I don't remember if iv listed everything I'm using yet or not so here it is I have a 1200 watt led light not sure of actual power draw using fox farms ocean forest soil and fox farms soil trio for nutes room is 4x8 still in the planing process of ventilation due to the Temp outside the room (any ideas would be greatly appreciated) have kinda hit a wall on the issue thinking about using an old hole in the floor behind dryer to bring in some warmer air but not sure yet of that is a good idea because of the fact of it being directly behind the dryer currently have a super silver a black berry and a gold leaf I believe not sure on that last one all three are clones one of which is a rescue hoping to bring her back to life with a little loving input and advice is defiantly welcome and if it appears I am doing something terrible to the girls please tell me to stop haha was thinking a little lst and topping on this first batch maybe get a little more fancy with the next one like maybe try a Scrog on one plant or something but plan to get another light before round 2 hopefully this one is enough for now

New to growing

The rescue is droopy and really yellow I thought she was root bound so I transplanted her last night when I got home this morning she was really droopy and sad looking my other two stretched a bit over night haha think maybe I'll be putting them in bigger homes today so they will sit at the same level as the other

420-magazine-mobile1870454681.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1589969200.jpg

Also would cutting the tips off the big fan leaves of this one help or hurt her she isn't getting alot of light under the canopy

420-magazine-mobile1522754838.jpg
420-magazine-mobile238032389.jpg
420-magazine-mobile797569770.jpg

New to growing

Hi there HerbalMed.

I've 2.5 years experience growing in a basement - started with metal rack for Veg area - built a 4x8x7' room with dual 600W HPS - turned that into a flowering room - and built a 8x8' garden room to veg (under CFL) and also sit and mix soil and start outside plants and putter around. With both a veg and flower, I built a sort of assembly line where clones moved from early veg, to late veg, to flower, to drying, to consumption.
That was my first 2 years here on :420: - then I moved and shut everything down.

Last fall I started up again on a smaller scale with a 4x6x7' veg area and a 4x6x7' flower area - still in a basement using the same 3 year old lighting fixtures,fans, timers, humidifiers, etc.

I played around with bottled nutrients for about 9 months, tried growing with living soil and teas, now using Doc Bud's Hi-Brix kit (a specific flavor of living soil, teas, and foliar spray. )

I see you have chosen the Foxfarm line of nutes - I can't be much help there, but I'm willing to share what I can about other parts of growing.

Regarding your yellowing plant - it looks fried by the light. Check the recommendations for your 1200W LED. It probably suggests a distance of 3-4' - especially when plants are young. It also probaby suffering from not enough roots to find the water after transplant. I find it almost impossible to water in a way that builds good roots in anything smaller than a 1 gallon container. Earlier this year, I tried starting my seed in 1/2 gallon containers, but they just don't grow as well as 1 gallon containers. Other folks do a good job with solo cups. Watering without overwatering is an art.

As far as how many plants in a 4x8' room. First off, it's a good size. How many plants is a combination of space and light and the size of your plants. I found that each 600W HPS could only grow a 3x4' area. I found I like to grow plants with canopies about 20x20". Many times I grew 4 plants in each 3x4' area with a 2 foot gap between area to walk around in. Please check your manufactures recommendations on grow area. You can go ahead and name the manufacturer, 3W, 5W LEDs, etc. There are lots of folks on 420 magazine who love to discuss such things including factory reps from LED sponsors :)

Thanks for letting me watch your grow - let's have some fun :)

A note on pictures showing up sideways:

Digital pictures taken by an android phone or tablet save a data field for rotation. When the photos are uploaded to 420 mag, this information is lost. If you 'crop' your photos (either the same size or a different size) then save the cropped photo, the field for rotation is set to zero. - When cropped photos are uploaded to 420 mag they look just fine :)

Hi there HerbalMed.

I've 2.5 years experience growing in a basement - started with metal rack for Veg area - built a 4x8x7' room with dual 600W HPS - turned that into a flowering room - and built a 8x8' garden room to veg (under CFL) and also sit and mix soil and start outside plants and putter around. With both a veg and flower, I built a sort of assembly line where clones moved from early veg, to late veg, to flower, to drying, to consumption.
That was my first 2 years here on :420: - then I moved and shut everything down.

Last fall I started up again on a smaller scale with a 4x6x7' veg area and a 4x6x7' flower area - still in a basement using the same 3 year old lighting fixtures,fans, timers, humidifiers, etc.

I played around with bottled nutrients for about 9 months, tried growing with living soil and teas, now using Doc Bud's Hi-Brix kit (a specific flavor of living soil, teas, and foliar spray. )

I see you have chosen the Foxfarm line of nutes - I can't be much help there, but I'm willing to share what I can about other parts of growing.

Regarding your yellowing plant - it looks fried by the light. Check the recommendations for your 1200W LED. It probably suggests a distance of 3-4' - especially when plants are young. It also probaby suffering from not enough roots to find the water after transplant. I find it almost impossible to water in a way that builds good roots in anything smaller than a 1 gallon container. Earlier this year, I tried starting my seed in 1/2 gallon containers, but they just don't grow as well as 1 gallon containers. Other folks do a good job with solo cups. Watering without overwatering is an art.

As far as how many plants in a 4x8' room. First off, it's a good size. How many plants is a combination of space and light and the size of your plants. I found that each 600W HPS could only grow a 3x4' area. I found I like to grow plants with canopies about 20x20". Many times I grew 4 plants in each 3x4' area with a 2 foot gap between area to walk around in. Please check your manufactures recommendations on grow area. You can go ahead and name the manufacturer, 3W, 5W LEDs, etc. There are lots of folks on 420 magazine who love to discuss such things including factory reps from LED sponsors :)

Thanks for letting me watch your grow - let's have some fun :)
I'm not really sure of the manufacturer of my light it's a 1200 watt 5 watt diodes. As for the yellowing plant it was super root wrapped around the inside of cup and coming out of soil wish I'd of grabbed a pic before it went to new home but it was very bad I got it this way more or less wanted to try to nurse her back to health as I couldn't bare to see her just thrown away

New to growing

This is the light I purchased I was wrong about 5 watt diodes they are 10 watt the light is unbranded and says nothing on it about manufacturer but I also haven't taken it apart I bet it would tell me on the power supply of on the back of the led chip I plan to add a couple 200 watt cobs to the mix eventually when spare cash is available to do so trying to stay in a budget to get up and running will eventually gradually improve as I should and need to haha it's not the best setup in the world but it's my first indoor and I gave myself plenty of room for improvement I am gunna concentrate on these three for now I may buy a small wardrobe and another like 300 watt led to start some clones in while these three do there thing but that will be a month or two from now regardless focusing all attention to these three to get my indoor skills built before adding more plants and more things to the mix! Thank you so much for tagging along let's see if I can make these little girls grow big and strong and produce something idc how much I just want to make them happy and comfortable and get a full run through without losing any although if I do lose some in the next few weeks there is a back up plan I have access to more clones in a month.

420-magazine-mobile474913948.jpg

New to growing

Any and all input will be taken gladly I am green when it comes to the ins and outs of indoor it appears to be alot more intense and depending then out door I like the challenge

New to growing

This is the light I purchased I was wrong about 5 watt diodes they are 10 watt the light is unbranded and says nothing on it about manufacturer but I also haven't taken it apart I bet it would tell me on the power supply of on the back of the led chip I plan to add a couple 200 watt cobs to the mix eventually when spare cash is available to do so trying to stay in a budget to get up and running will eventually gradually improve as I should and need to haha it's not the best setup in the world but it's my first indoor and I gave myself plenty of room for improvement I am gunna concentrate on these three for now I may buy a small wardrobe and another like 300 watt led to start some clones in while these three do there thing but that will be a month or two from now regardless focusing all attention to these three to get my indoor skills built before adding more plants and more things to the mix! Thank you so much for tagging along let's see if I can make these little girls grow big and strong and produce something idc how much I just want to make them happy and comfortable and get a full run through without losing any although if I do lose some in the next few weeks there is a back up plan I have access to more clones in a month.

420-magazine-mobile474913948.jpg

New to growing

Looking around google and searching under 420 mag Grow Room > lighting for double chip LED the only solid info seems to be these draw about 200-240W and they seem to be KING lights sold under different brand names for over a year.

It looks like these are good to flower plants in a 3x4' area - so one end of your room - about four 18" x 18" plants.

Not a well known choice - not a highly reliable choice - but not a bad choice for the money and performance.

I would start this light at 2-3' above your plants. 2' is probably good, but often lower cost LED lights have hot spots and if your young plant is in a hot spot it will be happier at 3' since the actual PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) in that hot spot might be too much light. An LED can be too intense when plants are young, so it's good to start conservatively. Even at 4' away, it appears to be enough light for vegging.

I'm no expert on LEDs - they hurt my eyes - so if you want to dig deeper or go for a second opinion, please do :)

I seem not to have posted my early comment - great info about your yellow plant having long 'hydro' roots curling at the bottom and seeming root bound.

Those kind of roots are a great indicator of the problem (over watering in too small a container) and transplanting into a bigger pot is the great solution to the problem. :) Don't water or add nutes for several days and she should green up nicely !

Had to add some water to get her to come out of the solo without breaking apart I will let her dry out for a few days in her new home as for the other two do you think it would be wise to move them to bigger pots for the sole purpose of having them all at a similar height and putting the light at 2 or three feet up won't that make them stretch for the light ?

New to growing

Also on another note I was wondering when a good time to start some lst to make them grow side ways not up I want a short Bushy plant if possible I know that one sativa is gunna blow up in height plan to top it to stunt it's vertical growth some thank you so much Rado gast for all the info it is very good stuff I plan to order another one of these lights before flower probly to give the girls some room to stretch and grow bushy as they please may pick up one more sativa to keep the indica to sativa ratio even as I am using as a medicine for me and another person he uses the sativa to help him through the day and I use indica to sleep and releive my migraines a good strain for that would also be great if anyone knows any good ones

New to growing

Had to add some water to get her to come out of the solo without breaking apart I will let her dry out for a few days in her new home as for the other two do you think it would be wise to move them to bigger pots for the sole purpose of having them all at a similar height and putting the light at 2 or three feet up won't that make them stretch for the light ?

New to growing

I find it easier to repot with dry soil. Loose soil moves more which can damage the tiny roots.

Personally, Iike to start in a 1 gallon container. A solo cup is small. The roots reach the sides and bottom of a solo pot in a few days. Do you have mycorrizal rooting powder? I'm a firm believer in generously powdering roots when transplanting. It would be good to repot.

Also on another note I was wondering when a good time to start some lst to make them grow side ways not up I want a short Bushy plant if possible I know that one sativa is gunna blow up in height plan to top it to stunt it's vertical growth some thank you so much Rado gast for all the info it is very good stuff I plan to order another one of these lights before flower probly to give the girls some room to stretch and grow bushy as they please may pick up one more sativa to keep the indica to sativa ratio even as I am using as a medicine for me and another person he uses the sativa to help him through the day and I use indica to sleep and releive my migraines a good strain for that would also be great if anyone knows any good ones

New to growing

Stretching for the light, tight nodes, topping, and LST all kind of roll into the same subject in my mind. It is fun and cute to have tight nodes, but if you are planning on topping and LST, I don't think it makes much difference in veg. When to top is a combination of how robust the plant is and how tall you want your canopy.

This plant you are growing is robust enough to top, but may not be tall enough compared to your other plants. This one has tight nodes that could be groomed to a shorter canopy than your other plants.

420-magazine-mobile797569770.jpg

My idea for a perfect shape of a photoperiod plant going into flower is a pizza box on a stick. A dense, green, wide canopy 2 inches thick. When you flip to a flowering light schedule, the pizza box will quickly become a bush. My canopy is usually closer to 5-6" thick, but with a scrog you can get 1-2" thick.

My idea for a perfect flower room is that every plant goes in at the same height as every other plant, this makes moving the lights up work for every plant.

My last pair of plants had a canopy height of 12 and 13" inches. I started with topping at about 6-8" tall.
Then I trained the 4 main branches to grow up 2-4" inches then spread out to get back down to 6-8".
Repeat as needed.

Borderliner halfway through veg - about 10:" tall

20170116_173557-1.jpg

Borderliner after her LST (1 week later) - about 6" tall

20170123_144939-1.jpg

With repeated grow up and spread out, the canopy gets a bit taller and more branches grow out from the main branches growing sideways. So it looks more like a short, flat top hedge.

Borderliner - one week before flower lights - 13" tall with a 22x14" canopy.
Top view

20170207_145134-1.jpg

side view

20170207_150236.jpg

Borderliner - 28 days into flower- No training in flower - now she is a 30" tall bush with a 20x22" canopy.

20170313_164511-1.jpg

Thank you so much for the help a buddy who has alot more experience in the indoor aspects is stopping by today to take a look at them and give me a hand doing whatever we decide I'll up date latter waiting for lights on now

New to growing

Back
Top Bottom