Newbie and autos

Tambam

I'm relatively new to our wonderful hobby and would like some help with this question????
When the auto flowering plant finishes the veg stage...ie. after one month does that mean that the plant won't grew any taller and will just start to flower....

I couldn't tell u about height but i know the reason they are called autos is because the will automatically start flowering under 24/0 lighting 18/6 lighting or 12/12 lighting

Re: Newbie and autos...

I grow autos. My current grow is 5 weeks old and has been "flowering" for about 2 weeks. They are still growing taller and will until about week 7. A healthy auto will be about twice as tall at 10 weeks as 4 weeks. A lot depends on their health and environment. I fed full strength Farmer's Pride grow nutes this week. Next week will be RO water+cal/mag ... when dry after that I'll switch to bloom formula. They will run between 10-13 weeks ... normally 10 weeks but I expect 2 of these to run longer. Enclosed is a link to an auto grow I just harvested ...

yes autos continue to grow as they flower but pretty much just the same as stretch on a reg.
the trick with autos is to hit them as hard as you can from seed with blue light to make as many nodes as possible before it auto transitions to flower, once flowering your pretty much stuck with what you managed to achieve.
Thanks gigabane...only prob is I grow outside in yard in pots...do you know how I can make as many nodes with this way of growing..I'm growing in all mix and not using nutes yet as I was told that all mix has all the nutes already in...cheers

if your in a place that they get good sunlight then you have already done the best possible thing for them...nothing on this earth compares to sunlight yet. however if you have average strength sun or bad days, you may want to consider bolstering the blue light whilst in veg mode and red light in flower.

the weather last year and probably this year have generally not been conducive to farming in a lot of places around the world =/

as to all mix. its not something im experienced with, but you need to be very careful about providing a balanced diet and autos can often burn to a crisp in soils that some regs would love. things like that is just about grower and strain getting used to each other.

if you like that smoke..keep growing the same thing a few times until you know what it likes...that will add a lot more experience than jumping from strain to strain as that moves the goal posts...but yeah obviously it has to be something that you find highly smokable ;)

welcome to 420 =)

Sorry gigabane I forgot to say I don't have grow tent only outside southern Spain mostly sunny and very sunny in summer like 35..40 deg centigrade...is this good for autos I have grown some this winter but they are not very tall and the bud at harvest is not dense or thick what do you think of the all mix and no nutes..cheers

Yeh that makes sense..any recommendations as to the smoke..good strains etc.

ok generally speaking most strains prefer to stay UNDER 30c or they suffer in vigour and potency.
in veg going over 30c is normally fine if your running a super high CO2 enrichment system. but even that ends during flower.

that being said.
autos are based on ruderalis and that strain for the most part is from cold areas of russia so autos may not be the best for you...

that said, you need to look for equatorial strains which will survive the best in your heat and see if there are any autos based on those strains.

IF you can make your soil just right so that is provides the right levels of the right nutrients at the right stages of the flowers development then you have hit the jackpot, but that is virtually impossible without a serious understanding of all the nutrients involved.

that being said....its fairly common to have plenty of soils that will 'do the job' and get you right through veg and partially into flower.

im afraid all that food balancing is part of the experience you gain over time for your own growing conditions.

most of all, just study your ass of about the genetics of your strain and how it likes to grow...your plant will always tell you what it needs. the better you can read your plants the better the gardner YOU are ;)

ok generally speaking most strains prefer to stay UNDER 30c or they suffer in vigour and potency.
in veg going over 30c is normally fine if your running a super high CO2 enrichment system. but even that ends during flower.

that being said.
autos are based on ruderalis and that strain for the most part is from cold areas of russia so autos may not be the best for you...

that said, you need to look for equatorial strains which will survive the best in your heat and see if there are any autos based on those strains.

IF you can make your soil just right so that is provides the right levels of the right nutrients at the right stages of the flowers development then you have hit the jackpot, but that is virtually impossible without a serious understanding of all the nutrients involved.

that being said....its fairly common to have plenty of soils that will 'do the job' and get you right through veg and partially into flower.

im afraid all that food balancing is part of the experience you gain over time for your own growing conditions.

most of all, just study your ass of about the genetics of your strain and how it likes to grow...your plant will always tell you what it needs. the better you can read your plants the better the gardner YOU are ;)

Everything you say sounds really logical..especially the bit about sticking to one strain and getting that right....only what strain???? Can I ask you another question....I read on a forum a guy saying in seedling stage you should plant in small pot until the root ball touches the bottom then plant in pot next size up until roots do same then next pot up and so on.. What do you think..I'm not sure if he was talking about reg or auto...I am confused about this

not to insult anyone but crudely speaking its rubbish.

first ill talk autos. our plants can get shocked quite easily. snap a branch, pull a few leaves, drop the pot...whatever. with autos, the moment you crack that seed, you have started the timer. it wants to have made flowers by a certain time, and generally speaking thats gonna happen regardless of how badly you treat the plant..so for an auto (a 24-0 type auto not a semi/special) ANY shocks whatsoever directly equate to a reduction in plant development. long story short, repotting reduced the amount of bud you get at the end.

now we talk regular weed.
the idea of repotting is much more viable with regulars because you can add extra days of veg to recover from any accidental or deliberate shock. however one must always calculate shock vs benefit.

any plant going root bound is bad, the roots get thicker and start to choke themselves. thats why smart and air pots are so great, they end root bind.

the main and almost only reason to repot rather than just put the seed in a giant pot is to do with water...
soil should remain slightly damp and must never dry out completely as this can cause it to become hydrophobic (water is rejected and just falls straight out the bottom of the pot), but with a giant pot the plant is unable to use all the water so it just sits there getting stagnant, a breeding ground for pests and illness.

i reccomend using no more than 3 pots...start in a solo cup, transfer to another pot half the size of your final pot when the solo is looking cramped and then tranfer to your final pot a week or two before flowering if possible, this allows it time to fill up the new soil with roots and start getting to work on absorbing the fresh food.

strain is a personal choice...i like a sativa dominant because i believe it releases my mind =)
my best friend likes it heavy on the indica for the body buzz and couchlock.
its rare that we would want to smoke the same strain together every day ;)

I followed up on your equatorial advice [ sounds logical again ] I didn't think about different strains for different climates but I will now thanks...I came across one called Durban poison that sounded about right..what do,you think..any experience of this strain....I have a lot to learn obviously...

that looks like a very interesting strain indeed! right kind of weather for you and its a landrace so it should be a VERY stable pheno.
a sativa that hits you with couchlock...well well, maybe I need to try that strain :rofl:

Please xplain landrace and stable pheno....and what is the 19 for

a landrace strain is one that has evolved naturally in the wild with very little intentional interferance from man...a wild strain. because of this it has its own gene pool that its been blending with and breeding from for a very long time.

a phenotype is like a sub class of a strain.
lets say you have skunk.. a well known breed. well lets say you grow 1 skunk and it grows a main stem with very few side branches.
then lets say another grows exceptionally tall under the same conditions and a 3rd plant likes to grow short with many side branches...they are all skunk, but different phenotypes. when a breeder 'stabilises' a strain. they basically hand pick those phenotypes that they like and discard the ones they dont so that all the decendants eventually all look the same and grow in the same way...thats a stable pheno =)

and the 19 is : 19 : (with no spaces). its an emoticon for the laughing man on this forum

a landrace strain is one that has evolved naturally in the wild with very little intentional interferance from man...a wild strain. because of this it has its own gene pool that its been blending with and breeding from for a very long time.

a phenotype is like a sub class of a strain.
lets say you have skunk.. a well known breed. well lets say you grow 1 skunk and it grows a main stem with very few side branches.
then lets say another grows exceptionally tall under the same conditions and a 3rd plant likes to grow short with many side branches...they are all skunk, but different phenotypes. when a breeder 'stabilises' a strain. they basically hand pick those phenotypes that they like and discard the ones they dont so that all the decendants eventually all look the same and grow in the same way...thats a stable pheno =)

and the 19 is : 19 : (with no spaces). its an emoticon for the laughing man on this forum
Thanks for the info giga...have to go and get head round it all...sorry about not bein forum savvy..this is my first one

Hey giga...southern Spain calling....gigabane I take it you have heard of hempy bucket method....I was thinking of trying it...any opinions welcomed good or bad...I've ordered some of those Durban poison autos and would like to try that method....

Back
Top Bottom