Newbie and autos

Autos are super easy to burn. Go easy on the nutes. You will be tempted to water them a lot. You will be tempted to feed every watering, or add the amount of feed recommend on the bottle. Don't.

In fact, for at least two weeks, just water with good water.

I have already made two buckets and planted 2big devil seedlings in the buckets and I am feeding them with root stuff mixed with water as advised by [spanish woman in local growshop] and then I have Dutch 123nutes to use and I am hand watering its an outside grow in garden of autos...

I intend to go easy on nutes at the start....but I'm wondering when do you fill up the two inch trough at the bottom of the hempy bucket

Thanks giga...the water is now in the trough.....when I start to water with nutes do I pour over the whole bucket or just around about the small seedlings or until it comes out the hole...another thing is how do you know when the roots reach the trough presumably you can see them through the hole and how long do you think between waterings at first...god I'm sorry to ask what must seem to you silly questions...but just wanna do it right !!!!

when watering a plant in a hempie, you want to pour it in nice and even over the perlite or whatever hempie medium your using. expect to have run off around the same volume as the little res of the bottle as you want to replace the lifeless water with new oxygenated and nutritionally rich water.
you probably cant see the roots hitting the res unless your poking at the medium or plain lifting the plant out of the pot. i wouldnt worry about it to be honest. just guess around a week till the roots are in the res, but water like its already happened, you waste very little really as the water gets absorbed upwards if its needed through the perlite.

once your plant has produced a pair of leaves with more than 1 finger you can probably start it on a real weak nute solution and work up the strength as the plant grows =)

i would water every 48 hours to replenish the o2 in the res until you can tell the plant is drinking faster than that, then water on demand =)

They sell bottom feeder pots right now at Walmart for cheap, and are well built. They have a little lip that sticks out, so you can see how much water is left, and how much water to give.

Let me show you.

The inside res looks cool. So you water top down for like two weeks, then you can just fill the res at the bottom. This will work great with pure perlite. I bought a couple for my autos. I might do 50coco 50 perlite.

when watering a plant in a hempie, you want to pour it in nice and even over the perlite or whatever hempie medium your using. expect to have run off around the same volume as the little res of the bottle as you want to replace the lifeless water with new oxygenated and nutritionally rich water.
you probably cant see the roots hitting the res unless your poking at the medium or plain lifting the plant out of the pot. i wouldnt worry about it to be honest. just guess around a week till the roots are in the res, but water like its already happened, you waste very little really as the water gets absorbed upwards if its needed through the perlite.

once your plant has produced a pair of leaves with more than 1 finger you can probably start it on a real weak nute solution and work up the strength as the plant grows =)

i would water every 48 hours to replenish the o2 in the res until you can tell the plant is drinking faster than that, then water on demand =)

Cheers gigabane for advice....the two seedlings are in the buckets for one week now and I have just been giving them root stimulator...they are now getting their second set of leaves...so three sets altogether including the first little round ones..can't remember what they are called again [shit memory] I was going to start with the nutes tomorrow..[do you think it's too soon] I have mixed up the nutes a little less than the bottle..ie. the grow nute should be 7.5ml..in 5lt..water and I gave it..5ml..in 5lt of water...and the other nutes the same proportion...do you think the dose is ok or not....another thing I wanted to ask was...do I pour out the water that's in the rese out of the hole first before I pour in the new water with nutes and is that what you do every time you water the plant...another thing...do I keep feeding root treatment or stop that now?

Re: Newbie and autos...

yes autos continue to grow as they flower but pretty much just the same as stretch on a reg.
the trick with autos is to hit them as hard as you can from seed with blue light to make as many nodes as possible before it auto transitions to flower, once flowering your pretty much stuck with what you managed to achieve.

Can we ask, What light is best? I have an auto growing and have all the different lights. Currently it's under a Metal Halide. Would HPS be better or growlight tubes?
Thank You Kindly !

I've seen autos respond best to hps. Just start with the light far away. They burn easy from mutes and lights.

I forgot to mention that those planters I links too have a water res that doesn't let the perlite in. You can put an air stone in the water.

I'm build a cool hempy design for my critical.

Hey Tam, I've been growing autos in a tent for a little over 3 years now. Some easy forgiving strains to start with would be Nirvana short riders, bubblicious, or blue mystic. I always have 2 short riders in every grow, love the high! I run hps for the entire grow this gives me short internode spacing thus producing bigger fatter buds. I grow in soil and keep my seedlings 15" from the light for the 1st week, then lower it to between 10" and 12" for the rest of the grow. I use a good organic soil and keep my soil ph at 6.5, I only add nutes when and if my plant tells me it needs it, most grows I add no nutes, why add them if they are already in the soil! The best advice I can give you is that you are under a strict time schedule, everything happens fast, any stress could be devastating and unrecoverable. I've had my share of dissappointments, the key is to learn from them. Keep it simple!

PS - I lived in Rota the summer of 1980 and had a wonderful time, I hope to get back there again someday!

Can we ask, What light is best? I have an auto growing and have all the different lights. Currently it's under a Metal Halide. Would HPS be better or growlight tubes?
Thank You Kindly !

if you imagine an auto the same as a regular, but someone else is going to suprise you by flipping the lights to 12/12 and not tell you when ;)

so start with veg lights the same as a reg (metalhalide VS cfl VS flouro tubes is a whole different topic...imho cfls give the best nodal shortness and metal halide gives the easiet way to set up and maintain). but then watch the plant for flowering. once your absolutly certain that its started to flower, you wait 1 to 2 weeks depending on the speed of the strain and then swap bulbs to HPS for the rest of flowering.

the 1-2 weeks at the begining of flowering is the 'stretch' period same as regs, blue light is better for this period on regs and autos.

I have a friend from Copenhagen who is a breeder (ahh! my bean man) he recommends hps and a light cycle of 24/0 until sex shows then a 20/4 cycle until harvest. I grow strictly feminized autos so I don't have to worry about sex. I've also done a light cycle of 24/0 for the entire grow and the only difference was an earlier harvest.

there are all different sorts of autos these days.
i have not noticed any benefit of 24/0 to 20/4, no earlier harvest, no smaller crops. just 4 hours a day wasted electric.
depending on the strain lighting below 20 hours can have wildly varying results.

i dont see a lot of difference in fast bud 2 between 12 hour pattern and 20/24 patterns.
where as kc45 doesnt even want to flower with 20+ hours of light but it is an auto.
so just calling something an auto these days isnt enough. strain counts now as there are so many different behaviours

Okay i am a newbie and have searched this site for info on a seed that i have already started to germinate they are called amphetamine auto does anyone have any information on this strain any advise would be much appreciated...i plan to start a grow journal i have taken notes just want to handle the more pressing business of learning before i start "showing off" (as my wife would call it) and it turn out to be a link passed around to all newbies as a "this is what NOT to do" any information would be greatly appreciated i will be growing under a 600w cool tube with both MH and HPS bulbs for there stage of course and i will be trying my hand at dwc using gen hydro nutes and hydroton as my meidum in 5 gal buckets

thanks,
"the" BIG DADDY

Okay i am a newbie and have searched this site for info on a seed that i have already started to germinate they are called amphetamine auto does anyone have any information on this strain any advise would be much appreciated...i plan to start a grow journal i have taken notes just want to handle the more pressing business of learning before i start "showing off" (as my wife would call it) and it turn out to be a link passed around to all newbies as a "this is what NOT to do" any information would be greatly appreciated i will be growing under a 600w cool tube with both MH and HPS bulbs for there stage of course and i will be trying my hand at dwc using gen hydro nutes and hydroton as my meidum in 5 gal buckets

thanks,
"the" BIG DADDY

! Herbies Auto Flowering Cream Of The Crop Amphetamine Autoflowering Feminised Seeds - Updated:6th Mar 2013

in future may i suggest calling this plant 'AP auto'. 420 really does not like strains named after harsh and brain damaging chemicals ;)

first off thanks GiGa i appreciate the help but that is the same info that my seed bank had word for word must have been on the packaging lol does anyone have experience growing this strain and know some of its likes and dis likes...BTW the seedling has broken thru the rockwool and is standing....bent over but standing as of 11a my time when i get home from work i will check it again...also i have read that you should start on just water then add some nutes later or should i have already put nutes in my bucket? thanks again for all your help and my apologies to the guys/gals at 420 i will use AP Auto from now on.

thanks and happy growing...

haha yes that probably is word for word. you asked if any information. ill look again incase i read wrond but it was just a first pointer, or did you mean your looking to find an AP grow journal or something?

first off thanks GiGa i appreciate the help but that is the same info that my seed bank had word for word must have been on the packaging lol does anyone have experience growing this strain and know some of its likes and dis likes...BTW the seedling has broken thru the rockwool and is standing....bent over but standing as of 11a my time when i get home from work i will check it again...also i have read that you should start on just water then add some nutes later or should i have already put nutes in my bucket? thanks again for all your help and my apologies to the guys/gals at 420 i will use AP Auto from now on.

thanks and happy growing...

that would work and believe me i appreciate ANY info and i apologize if i sounded ungrateful i did say any information i searched 420 and got no results... but i didnt know it under the name ap auto so i could have very easily overlooked it i will search again and again thank you

Back
Top Bottom