Newbie grower going to try coco coir

BlueCountdown

Hi Guys, I'm a new poster though I've been reading through the forums for weeks now.

I have been diagnosed with terminal Eosophageal/Stomach cancer last year, and given five months to live, hence my username!

Blue doesn't cover it...

problems are tumour pain, and depression/ dejection (well you would be), I am prescribed an antidepressant but it's more a anti-lethargy drug, it works well at that but neither it or the soluble morphine make me feel positive and tend to put me to sleep - well I want to stay awake every hour I,ve got left...

alcohol works ok when I don't feel nausea at the taste/smell (I'm a beer man)
But I remember with fondness spliffs someone who could have been me had with a friend years ago.

I don't know what we had but it was deeply relaxing (we were in stressful jobs) and made us intellectually chatty, positive and mellow, I wonder if there are strains that fit that fit and others that calm a belly pain.?

I am imagining a coco coir pot in a grow cabinet, 6th high 3 foot wide , 2 foot deep.

To start with 2x 36watt compact flours (cold White) right on top of the seedlings.

the seedlings germinated on wet kitchen roll and transplanted into the coir.

1 seed Royal Queen Royal Dwarf/ auto/fem, 1 seed Syrup cannabis/feminised.

nutrients are a nightmare, so many types, so many additives, anyway following on from 'Baremeats' coir grow fatalities here I think Canna coir A B and PK13/14.

I would appreciate any comments, will try uploading some pictures.

Whether I will live long enough to harvest is a moot point but I'm fighting this all the way.:morenutes:

Welcome to the 420 Mag family... it's great to have you w/us. :welcome:
We pride ourselves on being a mature marijuana forum dedicated to the spreading awareness of the benefits of MMJ and Hemp. :thumb:
The Mission of 420 Magazine is to repeal Cannabis prohibition by promoting international Cannabis awareness to the masses
You will find that our members are both knowledgable and the most helpful on the scene.
If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines... they will assist you in navigating the forum.
Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

Here are some other links that may be helpful:
Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Grow support: How to Ask for Grow Support
How to grow: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine
Take your coat off and get to know some the locals, the staff here are great and our members are top shelf... :Namaste:

welcome blue hope you enjoy whats on this site and get alot of knowledge because i have keep pics and other info in the journal so we can see the progress.

Thanks for your support, it looks like seedling 2 is in a bad way, it's fallen on it's side, the base of it's stem looks flat, damping off?
I've risen up the lighting (dropping the temperature) as it was 80f in there...
Will try some H2O2 tomorrow but i'M not sure no.2 will be there...
I'm using air pots but the coir seems to be able to come through the holes liquid like if too much water is added at once.

Hey Blue, let the water dry out a bit before feeding the seedling with more. Too much water can rot the stem and kill the young plant. The airpots are great for medium to long coco which is suitable for the container. The fine grain will run off the sides and/or the bottom when watering. What brand and type of coco are you using?

Too true Twelve.. It's fine grain and it pours out like sand
Didn't know it came in different grades.....
It's a nameless garden supplies brand.
So much to learn..... Thought I had it all worked out...
Life eh?

Yes seed 2 popped it's clogs...

I repotted seed 1 in a normal plant pot with 1 inch of hydration in the base, half inch on the top and a 70% coir 30% hydro mix for the bulk.

It's sitting in a tray on top of a round air stone in half inch of water and I hand water once every other day.

All seems well so far on 25% strength nuts.

Blue, welcome to 420! I've read that you really need to pack the coco in to the air pots. I use coco in hempy buckets and will be getting my air pots in today for my next grow.

Any chance you can get your hands on some clones? You cold put them directly into 12/12 and have a harvest in 6~8 weeks. If you're in California, there are a lot of places to get them from, some will even deliver.

I will be using some coco mat on the bottom of my air pots and as Twelve12 mentioned, I too use hydroton on the top to keep the channeling down when I water.

Best of luck on your grow and hope you're able to grow some quality meds that will bring you some comfort.

:peace:

Thanks SteveHman,
Clones not really on here in the UK, you can legally buy seeds here town as a collector (must not grow them!) so I got 6 more to admire in a display case...
Cloning will be good if I ever get anything to clone...

Number 2 is looking sad
Has not really grown, don't know if it's over/under watered.
It's a bit warm in there, struggling to keep the temperature below 90f.
Number 3 looks keen and perky, first set of leaves coming.

I will put up a photo, the first two leaves looked healthy, the 3rd and 4th were bigger and were healthy, then leaves 1,2 shriveled up, leaves 5 and 6 were smaller than 1 and 2 and leaves 7 and 8 are smaller still.

How often should I be watering?

It's obviously starved of something.

Back
Top Bottom