No sex yet

guerrillabalconygrower

I’ve been growing a local Sativa photo, which must be close to 15weeks old. Complete sunlight grow. Daylight is barely 11 hrs currently and active sunlight closer to 10 hrs. Yet, I see no signs of sex on the plant. Any reason why this is the case? I want to be guarded against any males.

282ECC60-9239-4233-977E-6DAE4A38FD09.jpeg

CF5DBA5A-E6E9-4FC8-93A1-1DA602732DF7.jpeg

4A2D9099-DF56-4647-8DA0-54858AC10F26.jpeg

CC2CEA79-85B0-4773-8782-1B9BC81DAE13.jpeg

B1D7D6DF-FE6F-4C22-99B8-9C805E55F10F.jpeg

22D25146-DC42-449B-B12B-3B0994B3957C.jpeg

Was certainly criminal of overwatering earlier. But now following the Emily guide here. Also could be that she’s on pure organic amendments. No inorganic nutes.

Sativa's generally take linger to flower than indicas and growing outdoors is a much more gradual flip process. Indoors you flip the light to 12/12 and the change to flowering begins quickly. Outdoors the nights gradually get longer which sends the signal.

So, just keep watching. And start a grow journal if you want. That will attract many helpful eyes of good growers happy to give advice when asked. If you do, make a link to it here.

Indoors you flip the light to 12/12 and the change to flowering begins quickly. Outdoors the nights gradually get longer which sends the signal.
This brings up an important question for the grower of the plant.

@guerrillabalconygrower, can you tell us where you are. Don't need the city or anything that specific but just the country. That can help us relate to the amount of day hours that you are experiencing. By now, after 15 weeks, the plant should be showing flowers.

It looks like your plant is getting 10 hours of daylight as the astronomers measure it which is what you are calling 'active'. The first hour after sunrise and last hour before sunset are a weak light so those two hours do not count for much. That leaves about 8 hours of usable light for the plant.

Even if it were to start flowering soon you are going to be facing a common situation in one month to the day. December 21 will the longest night of the year. Shortly after the days will start getting longer once again and the plant might attempt to stop flowering and try to go back into what is often called a "re-vegetating" stage.

It looks like your plant is getting 10 hours of daylight as the astronomers measure it which is what you are calling 'active'. The first hour after sunrise and last hour before sunset are a weak light so those two hours do not count for much. That leaves about 8 hours of usable light for the plant.

Even if it were to start flowering soon you are going to be facing a common situation in one month to the day. December 21 will the longest night of the year. Shortly after the days will start getting longer once again and the plant might attempt to stop flowering and try to go back into what is often called a "re-vegetating" stage.
And that’s exactly what I’m worried about. If it doesn’t flower now, then I don’t see the days getting shorter after the December solstice.

On a 18/6 cycle. And much shorter.
This plant will not care about the 18/6 cycle. It will stay in a vegetative stage until the outdoor "sunlight" hours are 14 or more. The other plants are auto-flowers so the length of time the lights are on will not matter.

The shorter plants can be placed on a shelf or some sort of riser so that all the plant canopies are the same height. Adjust the lights as needed. As any plant grows taller just that one can be lowered to maintain the even canopy.

This plant will not care about the 18/6 cycle. It will stay in a vegetative stage until the outdoor "sunlight" hours are 14 or more.
Agreed, although "technically" it's more the dark hours that drive the flip, which is why you can keep a plant in veg at 12/12 if you add another short light period somewhere in the middle of the dark one so no dark stretch exceeds more than 10 hours or so.

Agreed, although "technically" it's more the dark hours that drive the flip, which is why you can keep a plant in veg at 12/12 if you add another short light period somewhere in the middle of the dark one so no dark stretch exceeds more than 10 hours or so.
Yes, that is true. But, guerrillabalconygrower already has autoflower plants inside on an 18/6 schedule so no need for the gas-lantern method to prevent flowering on this photoperiod. All he has to do is keep it watered, fertilized and trimmed until the sunlight schedule and outdoor temperatures are good enough to take it back outside.

Yes, that is true. But, guerrillabalconygrower already has autoflower plants inside on an 18/6 schedule so no need for the gas-lantern method to prevent flowering on this photoperiod. All he has to do is keep it watered, fertilized and trimmed until the sunlight schedule and outdoor temperatures are good enough to take it back outside.
Agreed. :thumb:

I didn’t quite understand the last bit of this but I suppose what you mean to say is that I change the artificial light schedule to 12/12 and bring the photo indoors. I guess this is the only option left now. Will have to figure out a space config since I have a TINY, GUERRILLA, DIY tent :p

The gas lantern technique is running the plants on a 12/12 light schedule with an additional short light cycle somewhere in the middle of the dark period to interrupt it.

My only point originally was that plants flower in response to increasing dark hours not increasing light hours (which in our 24 hour world is essentially the same thing) We talk about the cycle from a light perspective but a photo plant actually is responding to the dark period.

The gas lantern technique is running the plants on a 12/12 light schedule with an additional short light cycle somewhere in the middle of the dark period to interrupt it.

My only point originally was that plants flower in response to increasing dark hours not increasing light hours (which in our 24 hour world is essentially the same thing) We talk about the cycle from a light perspective but a photo plant actually is responding to the dark period.
That I understand. And that is probably also the reason why the plant hasn’t flipped yet. While sunset happens at around 5.45 pm here, it only gets “dark” by 6.30. I doubt the plant actually gets 12 hrs of complete darkness here

I didn’t quite understand the last bit of this but I suppose what you mean to say is that I change the artificial light schedule to 12/12 and bring the photo indoors.:p
If you change the inside schedule to 12/12 that is enough of a continuous dark period to start the plant producing flowering hormones. However if you, as the grower, were to turn some kind of white light on for a half hour or so in the middle of that dark period then the production of hormones stops and will have to start again once the light is turned off.

that is probably also the reason why the plant hasn’t flipped yet. While sunset happens at around 5.45 pm here, it only gets “dark” by 6.30. I doubt the plant actually gets 12 hrs of complete darkness here
Most outdoor growers are fooled by the 'astronomical' time used for sunrise and sunset. A an exampleit is the time the sunrises but the first hour in the morning does not produce enough light to actually stop the hormone production. An example is the outdoor growers in the US who watch their plants start to produce flowers by the middle of August when the sunrise and sunset times will be about 14 hours apart and not yet 12.

I look at it as not just the 'length of time of light' but most importantly the quality of the the light. If the quality of light available at sunrise and sunset is poor then it might as well be considered 'dark' outside. This is a link I came across discussing how to think about the actual amount of light available.
Daylight - Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom