No sex yet

If you change the inside schedule to 12/12 that is enough of a continuous dark period to start the plant producing flowering hormones. However if you, as the grower, were to turn some kind of white light on for a half hour or so in the middle of that dark period then the production of hormones stops and will have to start again once the light is turned off.

Most outdoor growers are fooled by the 'astronomical' time used for sunrise and sunset. A an exampleit is the time the sunrises but the first hour in the morning does not produce enough light to actually stop the hormone production. An example is the outdoor growers in the US who watch their plants start to produce flowers by the middle of August when the sunrise and sunset times will be about 14 hours apart and not yet 12.

I look at it as not just the 'length of time of light' but most importantly the quality of the the light. If the quality of light available at sunrise and sunset is poor then it might as well be considered 'dark' outside. This is a link I came across discussing how to think about the actual amount of light available.
Daylight - Wikipedia
So how much of complete darkness would one receive in say, Mexico City?

So how much of complete darkness would one receive in say, Mexico City?
The discussion on just how dark the "dark" actually has to be is ongoing. If the hour after sunrise and before sunset is not enough light to stop the production of flowering hormones then most light pollution in a modern city might not be as much of a problem as some think. Think along the lines of the discussions that when we use artificial lights in a tent or grow room we have to bring them to within a couple of feet of the plant. Lights in a city can be 10 to 20 feet to 100s of feet away.

A buddy grows in his backyard and on the other side of the wall seperating his yard is a parking lot with lights on at night. He has never mentioned a problem he blames on those large lights.

Hey what’s up GBG?

1 thing that caught my eye, in the photo that shows your fingertips. there appears to be something flapping in the breeze, granted my sight is not what it used to be. You know the deal….. if it’s a chick there will be 2 tiny hairs sticking up or often for male you will see single down pointed flower cuz he’s busting one out and or you may see a cluster of nuts but no flower

looks like it was topped once but think you are at alternating nodes so it should be sexually mature but that’s a very lanky chick too with lot of real estate between nodes

anywho can you get better pics of where the nodes join the main stalk?? the plant blends into the background and has a lot of dappled light so it’s hard to see. maybe wait until it’s dark and use camera flash but get more closeups on the nodes please

solstice is roughly Dec 20th so length of days will reset but it’s still not a seismic shift it’s a gradual creep, yeah yeah minute per day and all that. Yes sir my friends that is why we use lights, timers and blackout tents or light deprivation to control daylight hours.

it’s got a ways to go still but on the balcony you are at the mercy of what the sky gives you versus what an LED light and timer can do indoors, no matter how you slice it she’s gotta have that 12 dark to trigger flower hormones

The discussion on just how dark the "dark" actually has to be is ongoing. If the hour after sunrise and before sunset is not enough light to stop the production of flowering hormones then most light pollution in a modern city might not be as much of a problem as some think. Think along the lines of the discussions that when we use artificial lights in a tent or grow room we have to bring them to within a couple of feet of the plant. Lights in a city can be 10 to 20 feet to 100s of feet away.

A buddy grows in his backyard and on the other side of the wall seperating his yard is a parking lot with lights on at night. He has never mentioned a problem he blames on those large lights.
I hear you. But on the other hand there are lots of reports of indicator lights on a power strip being enough to cause a hermie in an otherwise dark tent. Not the same as holding g a plant in flower, I get it, but still a light issue.

I hear you. But on the other hand there are lots of reports of indicator lights on a power strip being enough to cause a hermie in an otherwise dark tent. Not the same as holding g a plant in flower, I get it, but still a light issue.
People do not like seeds in their smoke and have to blame someone or something when they find them. How many times are these seeds caused by the occasional male flower that forms along with the female flowers, especially towards the end with a few weeks left before harvest. It is well documented and discussed how the female plant does have these male flowers in an attempt to produce seeds to perpetuate the specie. Easier to blame the power strip light, or a light leak, or the one time they forgot to close a tent door than to admit that they missed something.

It is not always easy to see these male flowers mixed in with the small buds in the bottom of the canopy. Nor easy to see them when they are in mid-sized to larger buds when all that might be showing is the occasional banana for a few days.

And, in my way of thinking, it is becoming even more common as growers want to wait till the bitter end to get the amber trichomes for the 'couch-lock' giving their plant every opportunity possible to grow some male flowers. Or growers who are starting out and plant some bag-seed of unknown parentage and find seeds even though they followed everything they read on-line. Or growers who pack their tent with so many plants that they cannot get to them all for basic inspection or maintenance--they have no way of finding the males flowers but will start to find seeds during the harvesting work. Or the ones who fasten a 'net' to the corners of their tent or grow space and then cannot move the plant around to inspect it for insects or the occasional male flower.

Hey what’s up GBG?

1 thing that caught my eye, in the photo that shows your fingertips. there appears to be something flapping in the breeze, granted my sight is not what it used to be. You know the deal….. if it’s a chick there will be 2 tiny hairs sticking up or often for male you will see single down pointed flower cuz he’s busting one out and or you may see a cluster of nuts but no flower

looks like it was topped once but think you are at alternating nodes so it should be sexually mature but that’s a very lanky chick too with lot of real estate between nodes

anywho can you get better pics of where the nodes join the main stalk?? the plant blends into the background and has a lot of dappled light so it’s hard to see. maybe wait until it’s dark and use camera flash but get more closeups on the nodes please

solstice is roughly Dec 20th so length of days will reset but it’s still not a seismic shift it’s a gradual creep, yeah yeah minute per day and all that. Yes sir my friends that is why we use lights, timers and blackout tents or light deprivation to control daylight hours.

it’s got a ways to go still but on the balcony you are at the mercy of what the sky gives you versus what an LED light and timer can do indoors, no matter how you slice it she’s gotta have that 12 dark to trigger flower hormones
Hey 013. I checked closely again today but no pistils or nuts. I’ll get a better pic soon.
The “lanky” ness of the plant could be part the pheno and part my overwatering. This is a local Sativa (it actually randomly germinated from a baggy seed in my window and I took it in).

No place in a dark closet you can put it for 12 hours a day. I know it's a hassle, but it would probably make it flower.
Keep it in the tent 12 of the 18 hours & then in a closet for 12. Just a thought that might help some.
I hear you all and im planning to create a cylindrical cover that will serve as a cloche for 12 hrs a day.

I read somewhere that growers even place it under complete darkness for 48 hrs to kick start flowering. Is this true? Does it work?

The “lanky” ness of the plant could be part the pheno and part my overwatering.
More likely the lineage, or phenotype, of the plant. Many growers mention that the strains with strong Sativa parentage have wider spacing between nodes.

Overwatering tends to slow down and stop growth when the root system cannot get oxygen so I do not think that is the cause.

I read somewhere that growers even place it under complete darkness for 48 hrs to kick start flowering. Is this true? Does it work?
Yes it is true that some growers try to 'kickstart' flowering by placing the plant in complete dark situation for 48 hours.

I don't know if it really works because I have never tried it. I have yet to see where someone has tried it with 50 plants and with a 50 plant control group at the same time.

While I really doubt that any city lights would be preventing the plant from going into flower I am now wondering what is on the other side of the balcony. Are there room lights that are on for many hours or all night that are lighting up or shining on the plant for most of the night?

Yes it is true that some growers try to 'kickstart' flowering by placing the plant in complete dark situation for 48 hours.

I don't know if it really works because I have never tried it. I have yet to see where someone has tried it with 50 plants and with a 50 plant control group at the same time.

While I really doubt that any city lights would be preventing the plant from going into flower I am now wondering what is on the other side of the balcony. Are there room lights that are on for many hours or all night that are lighting up or shining on the plant for most of the night?
No direct lights. Some parking lights and street lights in the distance. I guess covering it up is the only option

1 week into the covering schedule. Still no sex 😂😂

will take at least 2. make sure it is in complete darkness. a lot of balcony growers move them inside overnight and place them in a dark closet or other area. it may not work if you leave them outdoor all the time.

will take at least 2. make sure it is in complete darkness. a lot of balcony growers move them inside overnight and place them in a dark closet or other area. it may not work if you leave them outdoor all the time.
Leaving it outdoor but fully covering it up in the evenings within a cardboard enclosure. Generally cover by 5.30 pm and uncover by 8 am. Gets about 14hrs of complete darkness

I figure that it takes 5 to 10 days for the first few pistils to start to show up when I put a plant into the flowering tent. It can take an additional 5 to 10 days for enough pistils be be growing that it looks like buds forming.
I think we have a male? Balls check please

643CA892-99F7-4396-930C-550F30248165.png

Back
Top Bottom