Normal yellowing leaves during grow or no?

Aweedtec

The reason I am making this thread is because I don't know what everyone means when they say there is normal yellowing of leaves that occur when in flower stage.

So....since there is no thread for this purpose I figured I would try to create a thread where people who have normal yellowing leaves can leave photos and then the people who come here who knows very little about growing anything let alone cannabis have some real guide to go by.

My photos ... I don't think this is normal because my roommate is growing the snow plant and not one of his leaves has turned yellow in the middle of his plant and his plants is ten days older than mine.

So I don't know if this is normal or not.

This plant currently has three weeks left to go according to the manufacturers grow times. It is 3 weeks from 70 days.
My roommates is 10 days older.

While my plant is wider ....his has zero issues. And he is half assing everything while I am following the schedules for fees and water. He even way way way underwaters and no yellow. Not even any light leaves while I have light green leaves dark green leaves and yellowing leaves. Some totally yellow.

What is going on here?
Am I just worried about nothing or am I about to have a plant get really close to finishing and then goes bad on me?

Obviously the plant with the bigger top bud is my roommates as it's ten days older. I worry about yeild issues with the yellowing leaves and lighter leaves.

Both plants are lemon haze autos.

Both in BX pro mix.

Dr earth fertilizer on schedule on the yellowing plant and who the hell knows on the other that has zero issues.

Light is 500w x2 full spectrum.

20240305_111930.jpg

20240305_111947.jpg

20240305_112020.jpg

20240305_112023.jpg

20240305_112047.jpg

20240305_112052.jpg

20240305_112849.jpg

20240305_112955.jpg

20240305_113012.jpg

This post is just for more photos.

You can see the lemon haze closest to the camera is dark closets to the right but the lightens up an the plant behind it is dark green as can be.

I wish there was a way to make sure all color representations are accurate.

But they are close.

And these leaves yellowed in two days.
I had one that was a bit light for a few days before that but that one was it. Then I wake up today to this.
20240305_113429.jpg

20240305_113357.jpg

20240305_113423.jpg

20240305_113838.jpg

Beautiful plant! I would say it’s pretty normal near the end of the plant life, but you’re probably only like 20-30 days in to flower. If you stopped or slowed feeding N inputs I would add some now. Not much just enough to bounce her back. If you’re running synthetic then maybe a flush is needed.

...because I don't know what everyone means when they say there is normal yellowing of leaves that occur when in flower stage.
Some of them say it is normal because they want to accept that the fan leaves will turn yellow and fall off starting with the largest and oldest ones. Some say it is normal since trees and shrubs have leaves that turn yellow, or other colors, and then fall off in the fall as those plants shut down for the winter.

But, there is no reason why any of us should accept the yellowing and then the loss of these fan leaves in the first 6 or 7 weeks of flowering as being normal.

Beautiful plant! I would say it’s pretty normal near the end of the plant life, but you’re probably only like 20-30 days in to flower. If you stopped or slowed feeding N inputs I would add some now. Not much just enough to bounce her back. If you’re running synthetic then maybe a flush is needed.
You wouldn't be worried about the very dark green colas?

It's odd too because the dark green colas are the second nodes(which are pretty much stacked right on top the first nodes) those two are really dark. But the rest of the plant is lighter.

It was yellowing when I gave it Bloom booster five days ago. The entire plant except those two nodes which are right across from each other.... But did darken up. But just not like I thought it should.

I gave it what it called for and have been doing that with this plant. While my roommate guesses and his is perfect. Almost sounds like jealousy but it's truly not. I will get half his plant and he will get half mine. So it has nothing to do with that. But has everything to do with the fact that I dont accept this plant just started yellowing like this.

It makes no sense. Because the symptoms aren't consistent with any online article on yellowing of leaves. They are not on the bottom not on the top. No green veins or browning or spots or burn....They are sporadically through the center on different stalks and complete yellowing within a day or two

I'm fairly sure if I do anything to help it I will probably hurt it.

So the one photo is of the shade of the plant on two nodes. The other photo of the light leaves is the rest of the plant. With the yellowing leaves in the middle in no order or consistency.

Also my white hairs are turning brown and my roommates are still white as can be.
I'm sick of this shit. Really. Sick of it. It shouldn't be this difficult to grow a health cannabis plant when you follow the damn directions.

20240305_123858.jpg

20240305_123906.jpg

One more odd thing .....

My plant smells like lemon and very strong.

My roommates plant....which is has way bigger and more developed buds on it and it has no smell at all.

But his looks great while mine is having issues. But mine sure smells strong. The entire plant.

So again ...makes no sense

Roommates is first photo and second is mine. Ten days seed pop difference

20240305_125047.jpg

20240305_125057.jpg

You can see the lemon haze closest to the camera is dark closets to the right but the lightens up an the plant behind it is dark green as can be.

I wish there was a way to make sure all color representations are accurate.
Exposure. Most of the time a camera will expose for the center of the photo. This includes the camera on a cell phone.

I(f you are using a point & shoot or dSLR camera look for a setting that will let the camera base the exposure on 3 or more areas in the photo.

So the one photo is of the shade of the plant on two nodes. The other photo of the light leaves is the rest of the plant. With the yellowing leaves in the middle in no order or consistency.
In that photo the top half of the photo is getting more light. The bottom half is getting less light so it looks darker.

If you want more info on this exposure stuff talk to some of the members who are hanging out in the sub forums or on threads that are more about the photo itself first and the plant second. The thread about 'purple plants' or 'purple buds' is a good place to start.

Roommates is first photo and second is mine. Ten days seed pop difference
By the looks of it both plants are in what looks like the same size pots. You probably will not believe this but your plant is larger than his. It has more stems in the bottom half and more leaves. That means that the plant has to be able to find more nutrients to feed all those leaves and buds. If it cannot find enough nutrients it will start to take what it needs from the fan leaves, often starting with the largest ones and then moving to the next largest until eventually all of the fan leaves seem to be gone.

Thing is, once the plant starts to do this it seems to be about impossible to get it to stop.

I'm sick of this shit. Really. Sick of it. It shouldn't be this difficult to grow a health cannabis plant when you follow the damn directions.
I feel that, but try and think of these directions as approximates of what most plants respond to. Genetics are at play here and some things may need to be tweaked from the directions given to compensate for that factor.

You may be dealing with lockout or root rot. How often are you watering? Have you flushed your medium?

I feel that, but try and think of these directions as approximates of what most plants respond to. Genetics are at play here and some things may need to be tweaked from the directions given to compensate for that factor.

You may be dealing with lockout or root rot. How often are you watering? Have you flushed your medium?
I did water for 5 days in a row just 64 ounces just to see when the run off would stop from 64 ounces a day.

But other than those five days it was every other day about 128 ounces of water part of the time and 64 ounces only most of the time. Every other day.

I have not flushed it. But meant to before the first dose of bloom booster. But it didn't happen. I didn't think it needed it because it wasn't over fed. It was light green so I felt like it grew so well until that point how could it have a salt build up? It had run off every day. My roommate had runoff like twice through the entire grow and he under watered it the entire time. I felt the bottom of his felt pot every day so I know when it had runoff and when it didn't and the bottom of his felt pot spent 90 percent of its days completely dry. It only got watered to run off when I scared him by telling him that might be why it doesn't have scent and mine does. But why it's big and has the most even color I've ever saw on a plant is baffling.

Trying to give enough photos to actually see what's gojng on.

Looking at this one ...you can see all the way to the left and right...those colas are dark ....but between those two it is way lighter....until you get to the main cola. Then it gets darker but not like those colas on the ends. Which are the second nodes. And clearly those darker leafed buds are bigger than the buds with lighter leaves.

Can lockout partially occur? What about the plant getting nutrients properly in some parts and not others?

Could it be I should be giving it more water but less often to equalize nutrients?

20240305_142104.jpg

By the looks of it both plants are in what looks like the same size pots. You probably will not believe this but your plant is larger than his. It has more stems in the bottom half and more leaves. That means that the plant has to be able to find more nutrients to feed all those leaves and buds. If it cannot find enough nutrients it will start to take what it needs from the fan leaves, often starting with the largest ones and then moving to the next largest until eventually all of the fan leaves seem to be gone.

Thing is, once the plant starts to do this it seems to be about impossible to get it to stop.
So could it be watering methods not allowing nutrients to equally feed the plant?

I have noticed this medium I am using allows water to pass through way faster than my last medium. And I had to change mediums because everyone was buying the other one out everywhere.

So I've been giving it less water overall. Like one 64 ounce bottle will create 10 percent or more run off. It's insane that it does that. Mt last grow all four plants took at least 240 ounces to even come close to getting run off. This medium has better run off with 64 oz ounces of water than those plants from my last grow.

Man my neighbors thought I was some professional cannabis grower. I told them it was beginners luck. Because it was. All four plants were phenomenal.

Now I have to actually learn something.

So I've been giving it less water overall. Like one 64 ounce bottle will create 10 percent or more run off. It's insane that it does that. Mt last grow all four plants took at least 240 ounces to even come close to getting run off. This medium has better run off with 64 oz ounces of water than those plants from my last grow.
A 64 oz bottle of water per plant or 64 oz for all of them?

So could it be watering methods not allowing nutrients to equally feed the plant?

I have noticed this medium I am using allows water to pass through way faster than my last medium. And I had to change mediums because everyone was buying the other one out everywhere.

Man my neighbors thought I was some professional cannabis grower. I told them it was beginners luck. Because it was. All four plants were phenomenal.

Now I have to actually learn something.
Hey man, for my 2 cents I'd say, steady your ship, don't run all over the show and rock the boat with anxiety and making changes left right and centre. Your plant looks great and smells great so you're doing a lot right!

Sure you have a few yellowing leaves but that is normal as the Nitrogen gets used up or bound up. If you wanted, you could added a teeny bit (I have sprinkled a handful of Blood and Bone as a top dressing which works well), or possibly the Nitrogen has got bound up and you need some CalMag, or else liquify half a cup of worm castings where the Calcium can help free up the Nitrogen (worm castings are high in Calicum). Lots of indoor grower swear by CalMag, I have some but so far I have never used it. I mention it as it can be a mistake thinking there is a Nitrogen defiency and adding more when there is actually plenty, only that it is 'bound up' in the soil.

Personally, I'd be very very careful not to over water. I made this mistake in the past and ruined a great grow. A plant's leaves are going to wilt when low on water and they can adapt as they do in nature. Some folks including me, have deliberately 'droughted' plants to increase the resin production (it works - check the droughting thread). This is also done by farmers of herbs used to make essential oils. So as someone who has made this mistake, I'll say it again, don't over water.

Some growers on this site have had plants with a lot of yellowing leaves but they still end up with great buds. I've had the same but your plant is looking great!

Hey man, for my 2 cents I'd say, steady your ship, don't run all over the show and rock the boat with anxiety and making changes left right and centre. Your plant looks great and smells great so you're doing a lot right!

Sure you have a few yellowing leaves but that is normal as the Nitrogen gets used up or bound up. If you wanted, you could added a teeny bit (I have sprinkled a handful of Blood and Bone as a top dressing which works well), or possibly the Nitrogen has got bound up and you need some CalMag, or else liquify half a cup of worm castings where the Calcium can help free up the Nitrogen (worm castings are high in Calicum). Lots of indoor grower swear by CalMag, I have some but so far I have never used it. I mention it as it can be a mistake thinking there is a Nitrogen defiency and adding more when there is actually plenty, only that it is 'bound up' in the soil.

Personally, I'd be very very careful not to over water. I made this mistake in the past and ruined a great grow. A plant's leaves are going to wilt when low on water and they can adapt as they do in nature. Some folks including me, have deliberately 'droughted' plants to increase the resin production (it works - check the droughting thread). This is also done by farmers of herbs used to make essential oils. So as someone who has made this mistake, I'll say it again, don't over water.

Some growers on this site have had plants with a lot of yellowing leaves but they still end up with great buds. I've had the same but your plant is looking great!
I would admit that it looks good. But when you compare it to what my roommates plant looked like 10 days ago something is off and yes it will still produce decent buds. But seeing the difference between those stalks that are dark greens buds and the light green stalks buds being so much smaller and unfilled in that screams those buds are not getting something they should be.

Cal mag may fix it. I gave it a teaspoon of worm casting tea and a half a teaspoon of black strap molasses. Which supposedly the worm castings has nitrogen and the molasses has cal mag in it and iron. As well as many other micro nutrients.

I don't think I will stop the yellowing but I hope I can prevent it spreading to other leaves.

What is going on here?
Am I just worried about nothing or am I about to have a plant get really close to finishing and then goes bad on me?
Yes
A green leaf that yellows is just the plant shifting mobile nutrients, most likely P or Mg
Nutrients make leaves that then feed buds; some of the sweetest bud I ever grew was in sand, no nutes at all
I've also stopped feed/water for the last two weeks of flower until the plant is almost dead in the pot and harvested some very potent herb
Some plants are stronger than others, grow differently or do wierd things, nothing to worry about

So I've been giving it less water overall. Like one 64 ounce bottle will create 10 percent or more run off. It's insane that it does that. Mt last grow all four plants took at least 240 ounces to even come close to getting run off.
Per plant.
It reads as if in the previous grow it took 240 oz of water spread over 4 plants to get the run-off that you wanted. That comes out to an average of 60oz per plant. Sounds like you are on the same schedule as the previous grow.

The previous grow took 240 ounces per plant. Except the mother of this plant took two gallons every other day. I had four plants. Three different strains on the last grow.
Three of the plants needed 240 ounces and it would take a lot of that to see run off. Those plants didn't need to be watered for a few days. But the mother plant of this plant needed watering every other day with 2.5 gallons of water.

That is the big difference between this plant and it's mother plant. This plant gets run off from 64 ounces. Even when I let it dry for a day it wasnt light but the bottom of the felt pot was dry and still only took 128 ounces of water to get good run off.

So the difference after waiting a day on this plant and it's mother plant is 128 ounces for this plant and 2.5 gallons for its mother. Every other day.

People told me I was probably overwatering the mother plant. And that is when I would tell them...."but the plant is light as a can be after two days while if I gave that much to the other three plants I wouldn't have to water them to five days. Because none of them drank as much water as this plants mother plant did.

Not this one and not the plants I grew in the last grow with the mother plant. But only the mother plant took a ton of water.

Not to mention the mother plant was in a 5 gallon plastic bucket and the daughter is in a 7 gallon felt pot. In five gals the mother took 2.5 gallons every other day.
And in the 7 gal pot the daughter needs only 128 ounces.

If I said something different in another post then I suppose I could have misworded something.

Back
Top Bottom