Nutrient Issues?

macaroniNchief

420 Member
Hey all, I have some weird discoloration and leaf issues, its almost like the leaf was chewed with brown edges (no signs of pests though!). This is a 55 day old photoperiod plant still in veg stage. Its in Ocean Forest Soil and I've been feeding them GH Flora Trio series nutrients every other watering under LED lighting. See below for the pictures. Not sure if this is a nutrient issue or bug issue. I looked for bugs, but couldn't find any.

I started using RO water with CalMag about 3 weeks ago and have had nothing but issues so I've switched back to my tap water with dechlorinator+ additive for my last watering. This issue started before switching back to tap water/dechlorinator.

This is my first grow so I'm not quite sure what the issue here is. Hopefully the pictures are okay, let me know if you want to see any more shots and I can take some. Thanks!

20220221_072741.jpg

20220221_072749.jpg

Hey all, I have some weird discoloration and leaf issues, its almost like the leaf was chewed with brown edges (no signs of pests though!). This is a 55 day old photoperiod plant still in veg stage. Its in Ocean Forest Soil and I've been feeding them GH Flora Trio series nutrients every other watering under LED lighting. See below for the pictures. Not sure if this is a nutrient issue or bug issue. I looked for bugs, but couldn't find any.

I started using RO water with CalMag about 3 weeks ago and have had nothing but issues so I've switched back to my tap water with dechlorinator+ additive for my last watering. This issue started before switching back to tap water/dechlorinator.

This is my first grow so I'm not quite sure what the issue here is. Hopefully the pictures are okay, let me know if you want to see any more shots and I can take some. Thanks!

20220221_072741.jpg

20220221_072749.jpg
Hey @macaroniNchief hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine :welcome:
What ph have you been feeding at?
How often do you water?
Are you letting the pot dry completely before feeding again?
Are you watering until you get run off each time?

Stay safe
Bill

Hey @macaroniNchief hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine :welcome:
What ph have you been feeding at?
How often do you water?
Are you letting the pot dry completely before feeding again?
Are you watering until you get run off each time?

Stay safe
Bill

Hi Bill, thank you for the warm welcome!

As for your questions:

pH 6.3-6.5
Water every 3 days
Pot is usually bone dry 1" down from top of soil when I water
I get about 25% runoff each watering

Thanks!

Hi Bill, thank you for the warm welcome!

As for your questions:

pH 6.3-6.5
Water every 3 days
Pot is usually bone dry 1" down from top of soil when I water
I get about 25% runoff each watering

Thanks!
That unfortunately isn't a good way to check the dryness of the pot.
You have to let the interior dry aswell, not just the top.
I suggest you wait a day or two longer before watering.
Roots need air aswell as water.
I'd let her dry out longer between feeding and see if she improves.
If not you may have to flush the salt buildup from the pot.
GH is a good nutrient , just has a lot of salts left behind.
Oh one other thing just to make sure, you are following the recommended nutrient schedule for soil?

Stay safe
Bill

Hey sorry about the leaf issues, but good thing most of the time you can fix it. But I would recommend making a schedule/chart to follow... Bill has helped myself with similar issues...and he's the reason I have this in my grow. Best of luck.

IMG_20220203_171029992.jpg

That unfortunately isn't a good way to check the dryness of the pot.
You have to let the interior dry aswell, not just the top.
I suggest you wait a day or two longer before watering.
Roots need air aswell as water.
Oh one other thing just to make sure, you are following the recommended nutrient schedule for soil?

Stay safe
Bill
Okay, thanks for taking a look. I'll hold out on watering for a couple extra days. Should I be waiting until my plants start to droop a little bit?

As for the nutrient schedule, I'm using the one labeled "drain to waste" which you can see below.

Floraseriessimpledrainfeed.jpg

Hey sorry about the leaf issues, but good thing most of the time you can fix it. But I would recommend making a schedule/chart to follow... Bill has helped myself with similar issues...and he's the reason I have this in my grow. Best of luck.

IMG_20220203_171029992.jpg
Haha this is amazing. Looks like I'm in need of this chart too lol. Day 3...LET IT DRY, DON'T DO IT. I think that's at least one of my issues. Day 3 hits and I'm watering/feeding, its like a gravitational pull between my plants and the watering can. I'll chill out on Day 3 from here and see how things go!

Also, maybe I should be aiming for 6.3 pH. I've been feeding a lot at 6.5 pH, wondering if maybe that's a touch too high.

Stay safe
Bill
If I do a flush, are you meaning with just clean water, or should I buy some of the GH FloraKleen and use as directed on the label?

That's just where it falls on a normal...so I don't stress over a few tenths or hundredths points. But trust the dry system it saved my whole grow... I even started weighing absolute dry and then weighing every couple days til it's close.

If I do a flush, are you meaning with just clean water, or should I buy some of the GH FloraKleen and use as directed on the label?
Let them dry first see if they improve.
If you have to flush just run 3x the size of the pot plain tap water is fine.
Laundry or bathtub works good.

Stay safe
Bill

Let them dry first see if they improve.
If you have to flush just run 3x the size of the pot plain tap water is fine.
Laundry or bathtub works good.

Stay safe
Bill
Okay, will do. I'll let them go a little longer and keep an eye on it. I was hoping to go into flower next weekend, but it looks like I may be pushed out another week since I wanna get these issues nipped before flower.

I have a 5x5 so I should have enough room to keep them vegging and not get overgrown in flower.

Here's a pic of the happy family (Bonus Autoflower in the front-middle)

20220221_072716.jpg

That's just where it falls on a normal...so I don't stress over a few tenths or hundredths points. But trust the dry system it saved my whole grow... I even started weighing absolute dry and then weighing every couple days til it's close.
So I did a ton of research, about a year's worth of lurking forums and threads...and the one thing I saw over and over was the overwatering issue with new growers. I was thinking, "that won't be me," yet here I am, overwatering like a newb haha. Its tough to watch the pots get light and dry and NOT water. It's almost counterintuitive to a new grower and the pull I feel to water is immense. Gotta get it under control!

I literally did the same read a bunch...searched through journals.... Even asked about it....and still... I managed to over water lol definitely newbie move...but I got it now plants will tell ya there are hungry.

I literally did the same read a bunch...searched through journals.... Even asked about it....and still... I managed to over water lol definitely newbie move...but I got it now plants will tell ya there are hungry.
you are not the first, nor will you be the last. I am glad you are figuring it out though. Don't go by the droop because there are too many possible other causes... go by the weight or the actual location of the top of the water table.

you are not the first, nor will you be the last. I am glad you are figuring it out though. Don't go by the droop because there are too many possible other causes... go by the weight or the actual location of the top of the water table.
Lol trust that I value the simple words on my sign...and yea once you figure it out it's easy to maintain a watering schedule.

I lift the pots to see when they need watering. If they're light, they're due. If not, no watering.
I see many people who think they are following my wet/dry watering methods and when coming here for answers to problems, they also say that their containers are light. But then I ask, how light? So light that you can't tell the difference between its weight and that of a container of dry soil? One person's light can be another's OMG there is a lot of water in there! It is important to specifically define the word light, because the written word doesn't always describe it well to new people. :love:

I see many people who think they are following my wet/dry watering methods and when coming here for answers to problems, they also say that their containers are light. But then I ask, how light? So light that you can't tell the difference between its weight and that of a container of dry soil? One person's light can be another's OMG there is a lot of water in there! It is important to specifically define the word light, because the written word doesn't always describe it well to new people. :love:
I'll have to go back into your watering guide, I know I've come across it in the past but I don't think I read it as closely as I should have! Love your journals btw

Back
Top Bottom