Nutrients in every watering or alternate?

Every body is here to help but your growing with what i use and in the same geographical region on the map as me so i'm a good fit to help you out.Hell i even knew where your tap comes from without asking you.
I just checked it out and you are more or less correct. We get our water from 5 different in ground wells within town but what you are saying is very valid. We have awesome water. I never checked ph when growing outdoors with FF nutes following the chart instructions but there's a lot of false information going around. I'm not checking my PH anymore and I'm going full strength!

Greetings!

I hope you are well! Your recent advice to follow the schedule and not worry about the PH has been very useful. My plants are killing it! I am feeding week 7 tomorrow. The schedule shows a Sledgehammer flush in between week 7 and 8. Would you recommend that I do it? Getting it is not a problem if it's going to be beneficial. I know you told me before that flushing isn't ad necessary if you water with runoff. Please let me know.

Thanks!!
Nate

I feed with every watering. Using NutiPlus Veg, flower and bloom boost.
I start with a 1/4 of the suggested amount for their first couple of feedings, then I increase to 1/2 for the next one, then 3/4 next and full amount finally. PH adjusted to 6.5

Once the plants have established themselves in the pot I go for a full drain each feed. I grow in 5 gallon plastic pots, and I feed them 6 litres each pot so they get a good drain. I have never had lockout doing it this way. Plants stay green and happy. This has worked for me in my past 5 indoor grows.
Plants are averaging around 5-6 ounces each when harvested. :yummy:

I feed with every watering. Using NutiPlus Veg, flower and bloom boost.
I start with a 1/4 of the suggested amount for their first couple of feedings, then I increase to 1/2 for the next one, then 3/4 next and full amount finally. PH adjusted to 6.5

Once the plants have established themselves in the pot I go for a full drain each feed. I grow in 5 gallon plastic pots, and I feed them 6 litres each pot so they get a good drain. I have never had lockout doing it this way. Plants stay green and happy. This has worked for me in my past 5 indoor grows.
Plants are averaging around 5-6 ounces each when harvested. :yummy:
I am glad to hear this. Do you flush whatsoever? I have read enough and seen enough to know that flushing is good only to correct a problem.

I am glad to hear this. Do you flush whatsoever? I have read enough and seen enough to know that flushing is good only to correct a problem.
I have done both and find flushing unnecessary since the plants have a mini flush with each watering.
If they require water 3 days before harvest, I will just water, no nutrients for the last water unless the plants looked starved for food.
Note: nutrients used are NutriPlus, not NutiPlus as in my original reply :thumb:

I have done both and find flushing unnecessary since the plants have a mini flush with each watering.
If they require water 3 days before harvest, I will just water, no nutrients for the last water unless the plants looked starved for food.
Note: nutrients used are NutriPlus, not NutiPlus as in my original reply :thumb:
Nice! I use have used the Fox Farms trio forever and I haven't yet found a good enough reason to change. I'm sure something is cheaper or works better but I stick to what I know.

I strongly suggest that as long as you are under good lights, there is no need not to trust the full strength recommendations on the FF feeding chart. Don't guess... follow the feeding chart... the scientists there really do know what they are doing.
Starving the plants at the end has never made sense to me, and now we know that the chemical tastes are only removed by properly curing the product after harvest, and that no amount of trying to flush out the plant have any effect one way or another on taste. I too was surprised to learn this after years of believing the opposite, but those cool kids came armed with mass spectrometers... and they are pretty darn convincing. And to be clear, the flush at the end of the grow is supposed to be a 3x flush of the soil to clear the salt so the plants can have 100% uptake right at the end, when the buds are building the fastest. It never was meant to refer to the act of starving the plant for the last week or two... we used to believe that it was this stress that forced the plant to finish out with more potent bud. Now we know that there are better ways to do that than starving the plant right when it needed food the most.

PH is very important in a Fox Farm grow. The nutrients will not totally release unless you are at the magic spot in the soil pH range, and it is best to start at 6.3 pH, where the most nutrients are the most mobile. You of course are free to believe all the armchair gardneners out there who may claim that pH is unimportant... but please listen to the voice of long experience using Fox Farm nutrients... Take the time to get your pH right.
Now your original question. The reason we give strong full strength nutes on one pass and pH adjusted water on the next is simply that the plant will not use all of the nutes given on the first pass. Any leftovers are picked up by coming in the second time with plain water, adjusted to the correct range to reactivate the leftover nutes. This is not only efficient, but it helps to keep your soil clear of excess nutes. It is still important to flush (3x the container size) several times during a FF grow to clear the building up salts, and I always used one of my alternating watering days to get this done... usually at least 3 times during the grow.
I am almost through the grow now and just for the record, I gave them nutes at every feeding and I did not give them any plain water after the flip. I didnt run into any more deficiencies whatsoever. That confirms my belief that just as long as you feed with plenty of run off to wash away excess salts, feeding them plain water is not necessary. My plants haven't had so much as a spot on them since the flip.

420 Magazine has helped me tremendously. I want to thank BeanTownFan420 and Emilya for your advice. You have helped me become a better grower. Now if I only knew how to make a grow journal that people actually paid attention to! Pointers are welcome!
20200311_163313.jpg

I am almost through the grow now and just for the record, I gave them nutes at every feeding and I did not give them any plain water after the flip. I didnt run into any more deficiencies whatsoever. That confirms my belief that just as long as you feed with plenty of run off to wash away excess salts, feeding them plain water is not necessary. My plants haven't had so much as a spot on them since the flip.

420 Magazine has helped me tremendously. I want to thank BeanTownFan420 and Emilya for your advice. You have helped me become a better grower. Now if I only knew how to make a grow journal that people actually paid attention to! Pointers are welcome!
20200311_163313.jpg
Can't argue with success! Your plants look great, even right at the end. :goodjob:

Great thread...I do have a question as a soon to be newbie grower...Do I need to try the FoxFarm Dirty Dozen Starter Kit, or would the FoxFarm Trio set work for the entire grow?
The trio is all you need for a perfect grow! Follow The Feeding schedule!

Greetings!

I hope you are well! Your recent advice to follow the schedule and not worry about the PH has been very useful. My plants are killing it! I am feeding week 7 tomorrow. The schedule shows a Sledgehammer flush in between week 7 and 8. Would you recommend that I do it? Getting it is not a problem if it's going to be beneficial. I know you told me before that flushing isn't ad necessary if you water with runoff. Please let me know.

Thanks!!
Nate
Flushing doesnt hurt if you use an enzyme flushing agent which will break down salts and dead root matter which will be turned into sugars which will feed your plant and help prevent your plant from getting all yellow near the end. Cannazym and florakleen are both highly recomended by everyone.

Definately do water nute water nute if your not getting 20-30% runoff. Otherwise your correct the runoff will keep your runoff EC within optimal range to prevent burns and lockouts.

General hydroponics I always feed half recomended strength at all times. Never more never less. No deficiencies. But I get maybe 5% runoff because my current RO setup is under a tap and takes too damn long to fill up that many pails for 20% runoff.

Also your plant stores nutrients in its cell walls. Your plant cannibalizes these nutrients when there are none in the medium so one week of straight water will not hurt your plant. Your plant will just take from its cells
And you wont regret it. The less flushing time would just require more curing time so it's up to you on which route you take.

And you can pump it as full of nutes as you want but it your plant will never take more nutrients than it needs. That's the beauty of cannabis. You can try to control it but its genetic makeup will decide not you.
2 out of my 9 critical kush have always been a tiny bit nitrogen deficient.
2 out of my 9 sweet zombies are prone to a tiny bit of nute burn on the leaf tips. Your plants genetics will tell you what it needs and what it doesnt.

I grew 4 strains. The 2 I didnt have time to flush as they finished much earlier than my other 2 strains but they were finished and had to be chopped are much harsher smoke then the 2 I did flush.
Even after curing at 62% humidty for 1.5 months. When u cure your buds it releases the chlorophyll and shit stored inside your bud and leaf structure that gives it a harsh smoke or burns black ash.. If your plant has nutrients up until the day you chop well you do the math.

Your plant stores salts, sugars, micronutrients, macronutrients, heavy metals etc in its cells through out its life cycle depending on what u feed it. Roots absorb. Therefore the plant cells absorb. You can definately tell the difference between hydro, organic amended soil, and salt based concentrated fertz and plants grown with tap water and RO water or plants or cured or not.

This is a highly debatable topic tho and not worth losing sleep over.....at the end of the day as long as your happy with your finished product that's all that matters.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom